Author Topic: Was "onlyme" misdiagnosed by his doctors?  (Read 10265 times)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
Was "onlyme" misdiagnosed by his doctors?
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:29:55 PM »
I've been doing some research on the brown recluse spider, AKA Loxosceles reclusa. According to onlyme, he was bit in his sleep by a brown recluse spider while living in Los Angeles, California. There's only one problem with this story: there are virtually no brown recluse spiders living in California. In fact, there have only been 10 confirmed sightings of brown recluse spiders in California in the past 40 years, and they were all brought in from out of state. This spider lives almost exclusively in the central midwest, from Nebraska down to Texas and over to western Georgia. Los Angeles is about 1000 miles removed from the areas inhabited by the brown recluse. See this map: http://spiders.ucr.edu/images/colorloxmap.gif

According to Rick Vetter of the UC Riverside Department of Entomology, thousands of people in California have been misdiagnosed as having been the victim of a brown recluse spider. This is backed up by the website of the California Poison Control System (http://www.calpoison.org/public/spiders.html), which states that "Spider experts across the state agree that the true brown recluse spider does NOT live in California, but is native to Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Mississippi". It further states that "People bitten by an unseen spider sometimes blame the brown recluse spider because their bite resembles a brown recluse spider bite. However, there are a number of other spiders and insects, as well as other medical conditions, that are capable of producing tissue wounds of similar appearance, but these are usually of a lesser severity". In many cases, necrotic skin lesions are blamed on the brown recluse, despite mountains of evidence that there are no brown recluse living in California.

The evidence against "onlyme" being the victim of a brown recluse is even stronger when you realize that the brown recluse is a very docile creature, and that they are always found in large groups. A group of students in Oklahoma collected 60 brown recluse spiders in only 7 minutes. A woman in Kansas found 2,055 brown recluse spiders living in her home, collected them by hand, and sent them to a university. Neither she nor her two kids were ever bitten by a spider. Millions of people in the midwest live around brown recluse spiders and are never bitten by them.

http://light-science.com/spiderskin.html
http://spiders.ucr.edu/myth.html.

There is really only one reasonable conclusion that can be made. Onlyme suffered from some unknown illness, and was misdiagnosed by his doctors. He probably stood a greater chance of being struck by an asteroid than being bit by a brown recluse.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Was "onlyme" misdiagnosed by his doctors?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 09:42:05 PM »
I've been doing some research on the brown recluse spider, AKA Loxosceles reclusa. According to onlyme, he was bit in his sleep by a brown recluse spider while living in Los Angeles, California. There's only one problem with this story: there are virtually no brown recluse spiders living in California. In fact, there have only been 10 confirmed sightings of brown recluse spiders in California in the past 40 years, and they were all brought in from out of state. This spider lives almost exclusively in the central midwest, from Nebraska down to Texas and over to western Georgia. Los Angeles is about 1000 miles removed from the areas inhabited by the brown recluse. See this map: http://spiders.ucr.edu/images/colorloxmap.gif

According to Rick Vetter of the UC Riverside Department of Entomology, thousands of people in California have been misdiagnosed as having been the victim of a brown recluse spider. This is backed up by the website of the California Poison Control System (http://www.calpoison.org/public/spiders.html), which states that "Spider experts across the state agree that the true brown recluse spider does NOT live in California, but is native to Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Mississippi". It further states that "People bitten by an unseen spider sometimes blame the brown recluse spider because their bite resembles a brown recluse spider bite. However, there are a number of other spiders and insects, as well as other medical conditions, that are capable of producing tissue wounds of similar appearance, but these are usually of a lesser severity". In many cases, necrotic skin lesions are blamed on the brown recluse, despite mountains of evidence that there are no brown recluse living in California.

The evidence against "onlyme" being the victim of a brown recluse is even stronger when you realize that the brown recluse is a very docile creature, and that they are always found in large groups. A group of students in Oklahoma collected 60 brown recluse spiders in only 7 minutes. A woman in Kansas found 2,055 brown recluse spiders living in her home, collected them by hand, and sent them to a university. Neither she nor her two kids were ever bitten by a spider. Millions of people in the midwest live around brown recluse spiders and are never bitten by them.

There is really only one reasonable conclusion that can be made. Onlyme suffered from some unknown illness, and was misdiagnosed by his doctors. He probably stood a greater chance of being struck by an asteroid than being bit by a brown recluse.

I have talked to Rick Vetter a few times including just a couple months ago.  He said there were only 3 cases in LA of Brown Recluse bites ever recorded.  At the hospital there were 9 doctors looking at the leg.  They were arguing over what bit me. Most of them said a black widow.  But, the reaction was so bad and this (the pic) happened in a very short time (about 10 hours after checking into hospital).  So they all concluded it was a brown recluse.  I had never heard of a brown recluse before.  All the symptoms pointed at the brown recluse so thats what they put.

Ric, told me no matter what the reaction I am getting now is not from any spider bite.  He was open to the possiblity of the initial bite being a brown recluse but not the after affects.  Those were caused by an infection I got after leaving the hospital.  The wound was open when I left and got infected.  But in no way is it because of the bite.

SO far no one has told me different about the bite.  And I could have survived an asteroid strick.

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:46:14 PM »
they are all over PA   and the few bites i have seen look nothing like that    they usually look like a mosquito bite  the bruise and then turn big and white  almost the size of that    i have seen people (on the net) who had to have the infected area  cut out or risk amputation

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 09:58:39 PM »
El Chupacabra.

;D :o
TEAM REPTILIAN

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »

Actually more people are bitten by the brown recluse than black widows.  I found a websote where a lady lost two of her daughters to the brown recluse and she dedicated a site to them and it was a place where others that have been bitten could go and tell their story.

Most people have chunks of flesh taken out.  The pic below is a popular on the net.  That is 10 days after getting bit.  Misdiagnosis is popular though.  I could care less what did it to me.  I wish it didn't happen.  On the medical records at the hospital it says Brown recluse so I'll go with that until someone proves it wrong.  But really who cares.  I know I don't.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 10:00:13 PM »
here is another confirmed brown recluse bite.  This is actually exactly what my leg looked like after they cut the puss thing off.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 10:03:36 PM »
Those are some pretty gross looking pics.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 11:39:15 PM »
stop posting gross pics only me... >:(
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 11:42:55 PM »
it's science post more pics

Mark1

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 11:43:01 PM »
that thumb pic is disgusting but I cant stop looking at it.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 12:10:18 AM »
automatic horseshit... I spent 3 days down after having my leg sliced and diced by the doc after getting bit by a brown recluse at Camp Pendleton. Mine was diagnosed within hours of the bite so I was lucky as f**k.  There are brown recluses in california, I know that for sure.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 12:24:35 AM »
eww that's nasty. so they cut half of your calf out onlyme? can you walk now?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 12:31:38 AM »
eww that's nasty. so they cut half of your calf out onlyme? can you walk now?

No actually I don't even have a scar.  If you look at my leg the skin is the same all around.  I used Kukui Nut oil from day one and still do.  Other than a little discoloration and it being a little bigger it looks fine.  I walk fine except I still have water in my upper leg and it swell arond the knee.  So it hurts a little but nothing big.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 04:40:52 AM »
they are all over PA   and the few bites i have seen look nothing like that    they usually look like a mosquito bite  the bruise and then turn big and white  almost the size of that    i have seen people (on the net) who had to have the infected area  cut out or risk amputation

PA, I have been reading and it has been said that they are not in MD, if they are in PA, then they must be in MD. All of the articles i have read tend to be based on out-dated data.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:26 AM »
Well I agree with lots that the starter of this thread said.  But sometimes the BR gets transported into other states in frieght.  But yes those areas like cali and PA are not in the BRs natural range.  Yes they dont bite humans for the hell of it, but if someone comes un-knowingly too close to one you very likely may get bit.  Like one in your shoe or bed or a box you are reaching into.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 04:49:51 AM »
No actually I don't even have a scar.  If you look at my leg the skin is the same all around.  I used Kukui Nut oil from day one and still do.  Other than a little discoloration and it being a little bigger it looks fine.  I walk fine except I still have water in my upper leg and it swell arond the knee.  So it hurts a little but nothing big.
I wish that your problem to be solved fast and a good recovery, it looks like a nasty infection. Should't you be at the hospital?
S

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 07:50:07 AM »

Shit if I had that many spiders in my house I would get the vacuum and suck all of those dirty bloodsuckers and burn the bag!
just push some weight!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 07:52:58 AM »

Did the doctors all of the infection out of your leg?

Whenever I get bitten by something and it swells up I take a needle and poke that area repeatedly and skeeze out the puss. I once squeezed out the puss from my big toe and that was pretty cool and gross at the same time. Maybe you should poke wholes in your calf and go into the salt water. It is known for its healing effects.
just push some weight!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
Just about every other spring or summer we get articles out here in SoCal about the Brown Recluse Spider and the danger they can have. People cleaning out their garages, storage lockers, around the home, etc. are warned. Desert area's are the most likely, but the spiders lurk anywhere. Usually that type spider can be transfered from one part of the county to California pretty easily. With all the people moving here and bring their belonging's in boxes, etc, those brown baby's can hitch a ride to the golden state. The recluse thrives very well here. And breed as fast as illegals do .

That information (misinformation) Alexxx pasted on only tells half the story of this migrating spider. A couple of years age there was a story of a housewife who lost both her legs, one arm and part of her nose from the bite of the Brown Recluse. The infection travels very rapidly though out the system. Actually that spider get's it's name from just that, reclusive. They hid very well and try to avoid any foreign contact with people. That's may be the reason few people are actually bitten every year by one. Science can only estimate how many BR's are present in SoCal.
F

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 08:56:05 AM »
The Spider Bite has turned Onlyme into something never seen before until now! :o
Incredible transformation from a Spider Bite! :o

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 10:03:07 AM »
The Spider Bite has turned Onlyme into something never seen before until now! :o
Incredible transformation from a Spider Bite! :o

Shawn calling onlyme fat...no way...  ::)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »
It is possible that the theory about what caused onlyme's problem was a brown recluse spider bite. It might also be something else. The necrotic infection that followed in hospital might have been caused by something else. Hospitals do contain sick people and sometimes nasty infections get passed on there.

In Australia there are several spiders with poisonous bites. Scientists have developed an anti-venom that is used to treat victims and no one now dies of these bites anymore unless they cannot get medical help.

The recent problem onlyme had where he presented to a hospital probably have nothing to do with any spider bite. I suspect some cellulitis infection that obese bulky people often suffer.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »
It is possible that the theory about what caused onlyme's problem was a brown recluse spider bite. It might also be something else. The necrotic infection that followed in hospital might have been caused by something else. Hospitals do contain sick people and sometimes nasty infections get passed on there.

In Australia there are several spiders with poisonous bites. Scientists have developed an anti-venom that is used to treat victims and no one now dies of these bites anymore unless they cannot get medical help.

The recent problem onlyme had where he presented to a hospital probably have nothing to do with any spider bite. I suspect some cellulitis infection that obese bulky people often suffer.

don't you love a diagnosis from 6,000 miles away via cyberspace from a know it all?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 02:28:32 PM »
What is even more amazing is how so many on Getbig are the real authorities on just about every subject.

I give Shawn Ray credit for knowing Teighlor and the other large fat models.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 03:17:29 PM »

Vince Vince Vince, you are truly getting dumber with age (is this Basile or Goodrum).  Cellulitis has nothing to do with weight.  Please get your shit straight before posting  Cellulitis is very common after spider bites and other insect bites and even just a scratch.  I know many people who have had it including a close friend who got bit by a bee.  He weighs 160 if that and I wouldn't place him fat.  SO before showing your age and deteriorating intelligence read up on Cellulitis before posting.

And to let you know there is NO anti-venom for brown recluse bites.  Has Goodrum or shadow or some other dipshit got access to your account.  Cause man you are truly getting dumber and dumber with age.  Please do research before making yourself look stupid.  Hope this helps