Author Topic: Thoughts on this article?  (Read 1796 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Thoughts on this article?
« on: January 21, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »
I submitted a new article for the MD contest yesterday and would like some feed back on it from you all. For those who are not aware of the contest, each month MD holds a contest for an article to be published in one of their magazines. First off, I'd encourage some of you to start writing article yourself and submitting them...Rimbaud????

My article for this month is in regards to Natural BB's vs. the alternative and the nature of the hate war in which naturals have created...at least that's how I see it.

BTW, I am not lobbying for votes on this...although I know it might appear that way. Honestly I simply want to know what you all think about what I've written.

Here is the link:

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3295

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: Thoughts on this article?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:19:57 PM »
Good article, I agree completely.. I'm sick and tired of natural jackasses (like Croatch) slamming enhanced bodybuilders every chance they get.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »
Good article, I agree completely.. I'm sick and tired of natural jackasses (like Croatch) slamming enhanced bodybuilders every chance they get.

Appreciate it. Honestly, I'll be surprised if this article wins, simply because there are so many haters out there who fall in line with what I'm talking about in the article...and a shit load of them post on the MD board. But who knows, maybe it will make some of them think....I can dream can't I?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:44:08 PM »
I didnt care for the read Arnie, sorry but you asked for honesty.  It seems you are making assumptions and pointing the finger.  You are taking a side and putting down another.  It does go both ways.  Also some of the big words you threw around seemed to pre-meditated.  I really dont like the subject matter and feel MD will not either, its too editorial. 

Try writing more about you and your experiances in this game of BB, with some personal insight.  Maybe try not to try and make a point.  Please dont be mad at my honesty cause I love ya man.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 08:02:27 PM »
I didnt care for the read Arnie, sorry but you asked for honesty.  It seems you are making assumptions and pointing the finger.  You are taking a side and putting down another.  It does go both ways.  Also some of the big words you threw around seemed to pre-meditated.  I really dont like the subject matter and feel MD will not either, its too editorial. 

Try writing more about you and your experiances in this game of BB, with some personal insight.  Maybe try not to try and make a point.  Please dont be mad at my honesty cause I love ya man.
Criticism well taken bro.

As for the term "pre-meditated" I'm not sure why it came off that way for you...can you elaborate?

As for me making assumptions, I'm simply calling it like I see it...that's it. I stated in the article that I hold nothing against those who are natural. I train with a natural competitor and support him 100%. It's just my perception that a lot of the natural community hates on the rest of us, while most of the guys like us never return the favour.

Again, I appreciate your critique.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 08:22:24 PM »
Criticism well taken bro.

As for the term "pre-meditated" I'm not sure why it came off that way for you...can you elaborate?

As for me making assumptions, I'm simply calling it like I see it...that's it. I stated in the article that I hold nothing against those who are natural. I train with a natural competitor and support him 100%. It's just my perception that a lot of the natural community hates on the rest of us, while most of the guys like us never return the favour.

Again, I appreciate your critique.

By-premeditated I guess I ment trying too hard with words that would not often by used by most, although they were well used, they just seemed out of place in this type of article.

Yes sometimes some natties will hate, but sometimes gear users will too.  It has to do with the individuals maturity.  Me and I can tell you also would never be one to "rain on anyones parade" (see I use cliches too much) That is the sign of the bigger man.  Kind of reminds me of something I heard Bruce Lee say a long time ago and that is "The stronger man will walk away from a fight"  And we all know Bruce would be able to handle himself in probally any situation.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 08:37:53 PM »
By-premeditated I guess I ment trying too hard with words that would not often by used by most, although they were well used, they just seemed out of place in this type of article.

Yes sometimes some natties will hate, but sometimes gear users will too.  It has to do with the individuals maturity.  Me and I can tell you also would never be one to "rain on anyones parade" (see I use cliches too much) That is the sign of the bigger man.  Kind of reminds me of something I heard Bruce Lee say a long time ago and that is "The stronger man will walk away from a fight"  And we all know Bruce would be able to handle himself in probally any situation.
Bro, I agree with you, most of the time negativity is best ignored. However, when the negative remarks damage something as a whole, in this case BB, I couldn't help but say something. My article was not intended to be a cheap shot at the natural crowed, but rather an observation at the negativity and division it creates among BB as a community. In my opinion, by the way society feels and views BB, it can not afford to have such a strong division among its participants if it is ever to progress.

As for the "big words" it's funny you brought that up. I used to take a lot of writting classes back in college and I never could satisfy my professors either way. I'd always get that my papers were too bland, too simple or the complete opposite, too technical, not simple enough...I guess everyone has their own preferred flavour of writing. As for this article, I really wanted to try and get my pints across. I did not want it to have any week holes or to sound as if it were poorly written. All of us gear heads often get mislabeled as idiots and I did not want this paper to come off in that manner. After all, there are many of us who are as educated if not more then many of our counterparts...gear or not.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 08:57:51 PM »

Yes sometimes some natties will hate, but sometimes gear users will too.  It has to do with the individuals maturity. 

I have to agree here.  I see it more from the users than the natties.  They "look down" on others who don't train with the same style they do, lift the same weight, etc.  They even give shit to guys when they do cardio.  They "hide" the fact that they're using and try to give people the impression it's all in the training and diet.

If training naturally is so great, then why are you so small?

Similar to that attitude  :-\
:

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 09:16:57 PM »

If training naturally is so great, then why are you so small?

Similar to that attitude  :-\

Maybe I should remove that signature ??? It is not meant to be a shot at the natural guy, not at all, but I can see how it would be taken that way. In all honesty, it is more of a joke then anything else. I have respect for natural guys...so as long as they do not use this natural term as a tool of hate.

Maybe this so called hate is more prevalent here where I live. But even so, every board I go to seems to be plagued with these individuals.

I'll say this as well, I'd love to see natural BB org done away with completely. In my opinion it only further perpetuates the problem. Some will say it gives the natural a fair shake, maybe so, maybe not. After all, all of these naturals seem to claim drugs are not needed in the first place...so they say. Further, it's these organizations that seem to me to be the one of the largest producers from where this hate flows.

....can't we just all get along?........sorry, couldn't resist  ;)

bigguns175

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 09:46:54 PM »
I really enjoyed the article, Arn Jr., except wasn't the point you were showing natural bb's vs people on the sauce and the hate war between them.  The article does come off more as you pointing the finger at natties and that they need to make the change, when we all prob need to make a change.  Was a fun read, good work!!

Also, have to agree with the big words being forced, some just interrupted the flow I guess you could say of the paper.  Focus more on the content then the use of big proficient words but I got your point about our type of ppl looked at as meatheads that don't have a big word in our empty little heads.

Personally, I can't stand the nattie rhetoric.  Don't get me wrong I have no problems with natties and don't impose any on them, but the instant they start whining that the playing field is unfair, well then, all hell is going to break loose.  Bodybuilders that choose to take that extra step and inject and go above and beyond to win shouldn't be looked down upon.  It is part of the sport and has been for many years.  Just because natties are not bold enough to make this decision and don't truly love the sport enough to do so, they need to stop hating on people that do.  Ohh it's not fair bla bla bla.  STFU - LIFE ISN'T FAIR, realize that.  In business smaller companies get eaten up by bigger companies that have more funding, people steal other people's clients with unproper manners and tactics, the world doesn't give a shit.  You claw, scrape, and fight your way to the top with any means necessary.  The only thing that matters, is who wins and who loses, and if it takes performance enhancing drugs to win in this business well god bless those that opt to be winners and those that don't well sorry that your not a winner but you gotta stop crying unless you want a award for biggest cry baby.  For god sakes it is a sport, athletes of all people should understand that being average doesn't cut it.  End of discussion.

Thanks for bringing this discussion to the table Arnold Jr., was a fun read and good luck.

BigIronMike25

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 06:54:33 AM »
Good article bro, i really enjoyed reading it...the natural vs enhanced war will never end...its as simple as that...my fav saying is "to each his own".

Mike

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:17:28 AM »
I like. Nice work Arnold. Maybe one of these days I'll have to write something.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 08:18:21 PM »
Maybe I should remove that signature ??? It is not meant to be a shot at the natural guy, not at all, but I can see how it would be taken that way. In all honesty, it is more of a joke then anything else.

That's not at all how I read it.  But then again, I'm just a bystander.
:

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »
That's not at all how I read it.  But then again, I'm just a bystander.
Your point was taken, so I removed it.

hooker

• Getbig II
  • Anthony Roberts
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 04:45:32 AM »
I think it's very thought provoking. It brings up a lot of points that people probably don't want brought up....which is why I like it.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 05:07:34 AM »
I think it's very thought provoking. It brings up a lot of points that people probably don't want brought up....which is why I like it.

Kind of curious, what "thoughts" does this "provoke" for you?  Also what underlying points were made that you feel needed to be written about?

hooker

• Getbig II
  • Anthony Roberts
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 05:48:13 AM »
Kind of curious, what "thoughts" does this "provoke" for you?  Also what underlying points were made that you feel needed to be written about?

One of the thoughts that it brings up is that bodybuilding (as a competitive pursuit or recreation in general) is widely not respected...it's difficult to really come to terms (for most people) with the fact that if bodybuilding were a high school sport, it would pretty much be the Marching Band....only less cool.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 10:33:45 AM »
Appreciate it bro.

One of the thoughts that it brings up is that bodybuilding (as a competitive pursuit or recreation in general) is widely not respected...it's difficult to really come to terms (for most people) with the fact that if bodybuilding were a high school sport, it would pretty much be the Marching Band....only less cool.

I was eating when I read that....thanks for making me laugh and making my food go straight down my wind pipe....laughing gagging, coughing....how can it get any better?

hooker

• Getbig II
  • Anthony Roberts
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 11:27:33 AM »
Appreciate it bro.

I was eating when I read that....thanks for making me laugh and making my food go straight down my wind pipe....laughing gagging, coughing....how can it get any better?

I think it can get better. I like your writing, and ISteroids.com is looking to add content to their main page. They have several sponsors of interest, and I think I can probably put you in touch with them, and maybe work out some kind of barter (check out their sponsors for an idea), for some future writing from you.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 08:37:33 PM »
I enjoyed the article, it's an interesting debate that I'm sure will keep going for many years.

I did find when I was reading some parts, that I had to go back and re-read it to clarify what was being said,  I think some of the sentences don't flow.  I'm not being picky, just giving an honest opinion.

Just to put my oar in: I've used gear for a total of 18 weeks in 3 years, yet as soon as people find out, everything I've achieved and worked for is suddenly "all because of the drugs."  But then on the other side of the coin, some users in my gym look down on the smaller natural guys cos they're not "hardcore" enough.  Its a constant conflict that will never be resolved.

P.S. Paragraph 4: I bare no animosity should be: I bear no animosity.
Now I am being picky!   ;)