Author Topic: Asians?  (Read 3616 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Asians?
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:44:11 AM »
Just thinking this morning about the lack of Asians as political candidates, at least outside of Hawaii.  We've had a Filipino governor and there are many Asians in the state legislature.  I'm fairly certain we have the most diverse legislature and judiciary in the country.  But the lack of Asians as candidates at the national level is interesting. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Asians?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:22:15 PM »
That's simply because the United States isn't out to reward and promote asians like they do with blacks and hispanics. Asians are hurt the most, thanks to preferential treatment of black and hispanic people.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »
That's simply because the United States isn't out to reward and promote asians like they do with blacks and hispanics. Asians are hurt the most, thanks to preferential treatment of black and hispanic people.

Who exactly are you talking about?  It's the political parties who promote the various candidates and the people who vote for them.  I don't see Asians on the national scene much at all.  Are you saying they don't run because the political parties and voters would rather see black and Hispanic candidates? 

BTW, here is the ethnic makeup of our state supreme court:  Korean male (the chief justice), Japanese female, Filipino male, Jewish male, and white male.  I doubt there is anything even remotely close to this diverse anywhere else in the country.   

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »
asians dont run cause its culture..

can ua imagine a chinese or indian kid asking mummy and daddy to major in political science..riiight...

poor thing would get his ass handed to him/her

its comp sci...buziness or premed

and THATS THAT
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:58:13 PM »
asians dont run cause its culture..

can ua imagine a chinese or indian kid asking mummy and daddy to major in political science..riiight...

poor thing would get his ass handed to him/her

its comp sci...buziness or premed

and THATS THAT

Maybe, but that hasn't been true in Hawaii.  We had a Filipino governor and Japanese female who was lieutenant governor.  Our senate leader is a Japanese female.  Our house majority leader is Asian.  House minority leader is Asian.  Our mayor is Samoan.  A couple of the neighbor island mayors are Asian.  There are a number of Asians throughout the state legislature and city councils.

I don't really know why this isn't duplicated on the mainland.   :-\     

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 03:00:37 PM »
Maybe, but that hasn't been true in Hawaii.  We had a Filipino governor and Japanese female who was lieutenant governor.  Our senate leader is a Japanese female.  Our house majority leader is Asian.  House minority leader is Asian.  Our mayor is Samoan.  A couple of the neighbor island mayors are Asian.  There are a number of Asians throughout the state legislature and city councils.

I don't really know why this isn't duplicated on the mainland.   :-\     

hey hows the tech market there in hawaii?

i can honestly speak for most paki and indian people..when i made the above comments..and for quite a few chinese friends also..

one is in the networking field like me..

his mum disowned him.... :-\
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 03:07:27 PM »
hey hows the tech market there in hawaii?

i can honestly speak for most paki and indian people..when i made the above comments..and for quite a few chinese friends also..

one is in the networking field like me..

his mum disowned him.... :-\

The tech market is pretty thin actually.  A lot of the work is imported (or exported).  But one of my buddies is doing very well.  Started his own computer consulting business and has been thriving (probably because he doesn't have too much competition). 

I know there are parental and cultural influences at play, but typically people don't run for office till they're well into adulthood. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »
I don't see Asians on the national scene much at all.  Are you saying they don't run because the political parties and voters would rather see black and Hispanic candidates? 

Yes.

Asians make up a small percentage of the US population, but people consider them over represented in universities across America. Preference given to black and hispanics actually hurts asian Americans(orientals and indians) more than it hurts whites. I saw a Princeton study that showed affirmative action in Universities actually hurt asians the most, even more than whites in the admission process. People act as though asians being awarded based on merit and talent is a bad thing, while legalized discrimnation is good.  ::) If affirmative action ended, then 80% of the fall out of blacks and hispanics in universities would go to asians. That's a huge percentage of people who would be awarded because of their work ethic. If people want to see more asians in the political scene then they most stop legalized discrmination against asians.

I better bail before jag comes here and says I know nothing of asian society and that their crime rates are unreported and other nonsense.  ::)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »
The tech market is pretty thin actually.  A lot of the work is imported (or exported).  But one of my buddies is doing very well.  Started his own computer consulting business and has been thriving (probably because he doesn't have too much competition). 

I know there are parental and cultural influences at play, but typically people don't run for office till they're well into adulthood. 

a guy that spends most his life in front of a damn computer programming isn't gonna have the skills to run

most pakis and indians r jaded anyhow..like myself..i've seen paki politics..and have no interest in any politics like that what so ever..

except for whining about the illuminati and bush on here once in a while..
carpe` vaginum!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 05:04:22 PM »
BB,  what's the percentage of Asians or people of Asian and or island decent in Hawaii compared to the mainland?

That might be why.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
a guy that spends most his life in front of a damn computer programming isn't gonna have the skills to run

most pakis and indians r jaded anyhow..like myself..i've seen paki politics..and have no interest in any politics like that what so ever..

except for whining about the illuminati and bush on here once in a while..

That's not true, bhai. I'm sure Haji and Ahmed would run if people encouraged them to do so. But no, they'd rather take the MCAT after finishing school or run their father's gas station because to them that's the only way they can be something great.
Look at how we're treated on this forum and in the states in general. Treated like shit despite being model minorities.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »
BB,  what's the percentage of Asians or people of Asian and or island decent in Hawaii compared to the mainland?

That might be why.

Good point Ozmo.  I believe Asians collectively (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Filipino, etc.) make up more than half the population in Hawaii. 

Still, I can't think of any Asian candidate at the national level.  Numerically, there are more Asians on the mainland than Hawaii (although they make up a higher percentage of the population in Hawaii).  I know there has to be a few in the House?  None in the Senate that I can think of?  I don't see any visible Asians in the Democrat or Republican parties? 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »
That's not true, bhai. I'm sure Haji and Ahmed would run if people encouraged them to do so. But no, they'd rather take the MCAT after finishing school or run their father's gas station because to them that's the only way they can be something great.
Look at how we're treated on this forum and in the states in general. Treated like shit despite being model minorities.

osama fucked it up for us for an eternity mang..
carpe` vaginum!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 07:49:25 PM »
osama fucked it up for us for an eternity mang..

Yeah, that fuckin Arab ruined it for people like you and I. But in the end who gives a shit? I mean we do our thing at the individual level, so no one can take away from us. Fuck everyone and especially our cokehead oprez.
God I'm so fuckinggg wasted I don't really give a shit atm. peace!!!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 06:01:36 AM »

Asians don't need help or affirmitive action shit. They work hard for their piece of the American dream.
The House that Ruth built

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »
Asians don't need help or affirmitive action shit. They work hard for their piece of the American dream.

They are hurt by it. You cannot dispute that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 09:39:02 AM »
They are hurt by it. You cannot dispute that.

Why not? 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »
Why not? 

You don't think that what a poor and hard working asian kid get rejected from a top university because of his ethnicity is a bad thing? Asians are hurt most by affirmative action, especially in the college admission process. Asians have a scale that's higher than even whites.

First of all, most asians are descendants of immigrants who never went to american universties. They don't get automatic admission like whites who had a parent that attended a specific school.

Second, affirmative action is taking away opportunities that would otherwise go to asians and is giving them to black and hispanics. These asians who are being stripped often have superior credentials than their black or hispanic counter parts. WHY THE FUCK SHOULD ANYONE BE LEFT OUT TO PROMOTE EQUITY FOR ANOTHER GROUP? This is so simple, don't see why YOU can't understand.

Asians are filling up school so everyone is worried. It's like back in the days when jews were filling up some of the top schools across the country, so people restricted the amounts of jews they admitted into their schools in favor of christians. This is despite jews being far more qualified.

People should be rewarded based on merit. Asians, Indians or any other model minorities should not be denied because white folks feel bad about slavery. If model minorities are scoring high, meeting qualifications, they shouldn't be rejected in favor of people who just aren't as good. This preferential treatment is racist and goes against the system that's made western nations the powerhouses of the world.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 11:03:14 AM »
You don't think that what a poor and hard working asian kid get rejected from a top university because of his ethnicity is a bad thing? Asians are hurt most by affirmative action, especially in the college admission process. Asians have a scale that's higher than even whites.

First of all, most asians are descendants of immigrants who never went to american universties. They don't get automatic admission like whites who had a parent that attended a specific school.

Second, affirmative action is taking away opportunities that would otherwise go to asians and is giving them to black and hispanics. These asians who are being stripped often have superior credentials than their black or hispanic counter parts. WHY THE f**k SHOULD ANYONE BE LEFT OUT TO PROMOTE EQUITY FOR ANOTHER GROUP? This is so simple, don't see why YOU can't understand.

Asians are filling up school so everyone is worried. It's like back in the days when jews were filling up some of the top schools across the country, so people restricted the amounts of jews they admitted into their schools in favor of christians. This is despite jews being far more qualified.

People should be rewarded based on merit. Asians, Indians or any other model minorities should not be denied because white folks feel bad about slavery. If model minorities are scoring high, meeting qualifications, they shouldn't be rejected in favor of people who just aren't as good. This preferential treatment is racist and goes against the system that's made western nations the powerhouses of the world.

Well said.  I agree with most of what you said.  My question was directed to your comment that you cannot dispute that Asians are hurt by affirmative action.  I haven't seen the evidence, but I'm sure someone could dispute that Asians are hurt by current affirmative action policies at most schools.  I don't know and don't really have an opinion about it (whether Asians are disadvantaged).  Just wanted your take. 

Re the legacy admits, which you mentioned, that is something that isn't talked about very much.  I went to school with some pretty mediocre kids of alums who were obviously admitted because their parents (and grandparents) graduated from the school (and in some cases donate money).  It is a major disadvantage to qualified kids who weren't fortunate enough to be born into the right family. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »
Asian American status in affirmative action
Because of their high degree of success as a group, Asian Americans do not generally benefit from affirmative action policies the way other minority groups do. In fact, some schools routinely choose lower-scoring applicants from other racial groups, including European Americans, over Asian Americans, in an attempt to promote racial diversity and to maintain some proportion to the society's racial demographics.[9] One of the highest gaps is at UC Berkeley which does not practice affirmative action. The gap between Asian Americans and African Americans is about 300 SAT points.[citation needed]

A 2005 Princeton study showed Asians (not whites) bear nearly 80% of the cost of affirmative action in college admissions. Nearly four out of every five spots given to blacks and Hispanics in an affirmative-action regime would go to Asians in a purely merit-based system.

The average cost or benefit of college affirmative action in terms of SAT points (on 1600-point scale) is as follows: 2

Blacks: +230
Hispanics: +185
Asians: −50
Recruited Athletes: +200
"Legacies" (children of alumni): +160

That's evidence for you right there, not from my mouth, but from a University study. This scale is racist and immoral.

Nearly four out of every five spots given to blacks and Hispanics in an affirmative-action regime would go to Asians in a purely merit-based system.

So three quarter of asians get screwed and so do some white and other kids.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »
That's evidence for you right there, not from my mouth, but from a University study. This scale is racist and immoral.

Nearly four out of every five spots given to blacks and Hispanics in an affirmative-action regime would go to Asians in a purely merit-based system.

So three quarter of asians get screwed and so do some white and other kids.

Source?  I'd like to read it. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Source?  I'd like to read it. 

Fine. See for yourself..

http://opr.princeton.edu/faculty/tje/espenshadessqptii.pdf

The actual study

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_Minority

Go to Asian American status in affirmative action for my quote.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 11:41:41 AM »
Fine. See for yourself..

http://opr.princeton.edu/faculty/tje/espenshadessqptii.pdf

The actual study

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_Minority

Go to Asian American status in affirmative action for my quote.

Thanks.