Author Topic: Alberto Gonzales: "No right to habeas in the Constitution"  (Read 1062 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Alberto Gonzales: "No right to habeas in the Constitution"
« on: January 23, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »
 ::)

The fact that the Constitution -- again, there is no expressed grant of habeas in the Constitution. There's a prohibition against taking it away.

But it's never been the case. I'm not aware of a Supreme . . .

Specter : Wait a minute. Wait a minute. The Constitution says you can't take it away except in case of rebellion or invasion. Doesn't that mean you have the right of habeas corpus unless there's an invasion or rebellion?

Gonzales : I meant by that comment, the Constitution doesn't say every individual in the United States or every citizen is hereby granted or assured the right to habeas. Doesn't say that. It simply says the right of habeas corpus shall not be suspended except . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/22/AR2007012201152.html

“ The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it. ”

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Alberto Gonzales: "No right to habeas in the Constitution"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:53:48 PM »
Some muse that Gonzalez was rewarded with his position because he sealed Bush's drunk driving record before the 2000 election.

Some muse that Gonzalez lacks understanding of the policy he's defending here.

I'm sure there's nothing to it, tho.  Just a coincidence Bush hired a less qualified guy who did him a favor which got him elected.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Alberto Gonzales: "No right to habeas in the Constitution"
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:06:28 PM »
Alberto is a Bush yesman.  That's all there is to it.  He got the positition because he helped come up with the legal means for going over the Geneva Conventions.  "Unlawful Combatant" which funny enough is the exact same reasoning the North Vietnamese Army used to go over the conventions and torture Americans.  He got the job because he was willing to sell his soul to be a Bush yesman.  A small man who traded morality to be big.