Author Topic: why do we have a moral compass?  (Read 1917 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
why do we have a moral compass?
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:29:24 PM »
why do we have an internal sense of right and wrong. its not based on society, there is some neuroethics involved, but who first decided that indeed somethings are moral or good and somethings are bad. do we have inherent right/wrong?.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: why do we have a moral compass?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 08:53:44 PM »
chicken or the egg?

self preservation does not constitute ethics..

carpe` vaginum!

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:43:30 PM »
I think we were made with a conscious but society dictated between right and wrong..

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »
why do we have an internal sense of right and wrong. its not based on society, there is some neuroethics involved, but who first decided that indeed somethings are moral or good and somethings are bad. do we have inherent right/wrong?.

If you believe in the God-head (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) as most Christians do, then I believe your moral compass is the Holy Spirit.  It's your conscience.  We all have it.  We don't always listen to it, and some cannot even hear it after a while, but it's always there. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:27:27 AM »
chicken or the egg?

self preservation does not constitute ethics..

i dont follow you, what is the chicken and what is the egg.

morality is not necessarily a good thing for humanity from an evolutionary perspective. people always raise the problem of evil(atheists) which can be countered with the problem of good. however, the fact that society labelled things are the outset good and bad( a polarity) tells us that it is innate. without a moral internal mechanism we would not know what good nor bad is. life is defined by polarity(black/white, male/female) all these things are inherant and without them you cannot know something. if male was all that exsisted you would not know what you are, the reference female defines you. so if polarity is a basic tenet of the universe and we have good and evil, why would we have it? other then from a loving god, who is moral.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 01:10:39 PM »
morality stems from self preservation...

it makes perfect darwanian sence..dont ya see..

dont kill..well of course..there is strength in #s...ya think our munkey ancestors woulda survived if they killed eachother..?

sharing food also makes darwaistic sence..it makes sure you dont go hungry when u dont have food..if you share when u have plenty..

neuroethics
   = millions of yrs of darwanism built into our genes..

carpe` vaginum!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »
that  is a tautology and isnt accpetable by scientific standards. any anomaly will undue your theory.

what about true altruism were reciprocation is not possible and one risks or gives his life? evolution only happens at one level, the species not the individual. you cant say, which will be your answer by the way "he is making sure his species survives, greater chance of species survival" this is tautological agian and adds no new information. everything makes perfect darwinian sense, it the same as saying why is the universe so fine tuned? becuse if it wasnt we would be here to talk about it.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 02:27:44 PM »

what about true altruism were reciprocation is not possible and one risks or gives his life?

exceptions to the rule dont prove a theory..
carpe` vaginum!

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 03:47:26 PM »
no they disprove it, you cant leave any anomalie unturned. if there was evidence which there is books and books of that telepathy or remote viewing were true(which they are, but lack a theory to make predictions) our paradigm of consciuosnous as being local would be wrong. if morality cant be explained in solely evolutionary terms then the theory fails and is wrong. however, im not saying that a theory based on darwinian evolution wont come about(i dont think it will) just that the current framework fails to account for the situation above and a few other gems that people ignore.