Author Topic: The Splenda/Maltodextrin Connection  (Read 1075 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
The Splenda/Maltodextrin Connection
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:21:28 AM »
The label on my box of Splenda states that it contains maltodextrin.  Further, I noticed the packets also indicate dextrose as an ingredient.  That being so, how can the manufacturer achieve a zero calorie product?  Thoughts?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
Re: The Splenda/Maltodextrin Connection
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 08:36:26 AM »
In a similar vein, a packet of Equal lists the ingredients as "Dextrose with maltodextrin, aspartame."

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:57:56 AM »
The label on my box of Splenda states that it contains maltodextrin.  Further, I noticed the packets also indicate dextrose as an ingredient.  That being so, how can the manufacturer achieve a zero calorie product?  Thoughts?

Splenda does have calories, if you consume enough of it.  I love Splenda.  I think that by law, a manufacturer is allowed to list 0 calories if one serving of a product has 0.99 calories or less.  Same with fat, if one serving of the product has 0.99 grams or less of fat.  This is how those oil sprays say they have 0g fat.  How can it have 0g fat when oil is 100% fat?  Well, the serving size is 0.02 second spray, or something like that, which contains probably about 0.99g fat.  Thus, they are allowed to say 0g fat per serving...very misleading.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »
Splenda does have calories, if you consume enough of it.  I love Splenda.  I think that by law, a manufacturer is allowed to list 0 calories if one serving of a product has 0.99 calories or less.  Same with fat, if one serving of the product has 0.99 grams or less of fat.  This is how those oil sprays say they have 0g fat.  How can it have 0g fat when oil is 100% fat?  Well, the serving size is 0.02 second spray, or something like that, which contains probably about 0.99g fat.  Thus, they are allowed to say 0g fat per serving...very misleading.

Thanks for the response, helpful and appreciated.  It reminds me somewhat of how some manufacturers subtract carbohydrates and calories based on the amount of dietary fiber in the product.  Pitfalls for the unwary.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 10:46:06 AM »
Loco is right.  Here is the specifc info which I unearthed:

"Please note that due to the inclusion of maltodextrin in Splenda Granular, a cup of Splenda Granular has 96 calories and 24 grams of carbohydrates compared to the 770 calories and 192 grams of carbohydrates found in a cup of sugar. Splenda Packets contain both dextrose and maltodextrin. Though Splenda is still significantly lower in carbohydrates than sucrose (sugar), it is not a zero carbohydrate product. Use sparingly with a low carb diet."

http://www23.netrition.com/splenda_page.html

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:18:20 AM »
From Splenda's website

Like many no and low calorie sweeteners, each serving of SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener contains a very small amount of common food ingredients, e.g., dextrose and/or maltodextrin, for volume. Because the amount of these ingredients is so small, SPLENDAŽ No Calorie Sweetener still has an insignificant calorie value per serving and meets FDA's standards for "no calorie" sweeteners.
: