Author Topic: why is strongman on tv and not powerlifting  (Read 10815 times)

kmstrength

• Getbig I
why is strongman on tv and not powerlifting
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »
the only difference is that they lift objects, and we llift weights. so why is powerlifting not on tv.

SL-Dubbs

• Getbig V
Re: why is strongman on tv and not powerlifting
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 03:32:17 PM »
Because honestly, for the average non training person it is just more interesting to watch.

Personally as a lifter I get amazingly stoked too see powerlifting on TV (bench america), but to the average person who doesnt train 600lbs looks about the same as 1000lbs and its one movement. It isnt enough to keep the attention of most non training individuals.

When people watch strongman they see numerous competions, and guys battling it out side by side as opposed to one after another and I think that is something that adds a bit of stimulation as well.

Personally I would love to see powerlifting not only on TV, but also in the Olympics. But, from a realistic standpoint I can see why it isnt commonly on TV (Ratings). I still cannot fathom why it is not a part of the Olympics as it stands today.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »
Powerlifting is hard to grasp, and everything takes forever, even if edited down.

In Strongman, it's all very easy to comprehend.

The weights are usually stuff that people can relate to, eg deadlift hold of a car.

IMO, the strongman scene will explode in 2007, and you'll see even the second-tier strongmen land decent sponsor deals.

It's a sport with lots of potential, and now it seems like the athletes have made the necessary steps to put the money in their pockets instead of into TWI's.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 04:32:10 PM »
Powerlifting is hard to grasp, and everything takes forever, even if edited down.

In Strongman, it's all very easy to comprehend.

The weights are usually stuff that people can relate to, eg deadlift hold of a car.

IMO, the strongman scene will explode in 2007, and you'll see even the second-tier strongmen land decent sponsor deals.

It's a sport with lots of potential, and now it seems like the athletes have made the necessary steps to put the money in their pockets instead of into TWI's.

-Hedge
i agree with you here, i also think that if powerlifting cleaned itself up and got rid of the space age shirts, suits and wraps and did away with all the histrionics with ten guys onstage with a guy squatting, dudes slapping each other in the face, the Monolifts, the belly benchers and all that stuff and returned to what i think was the golden age of powerlifting, the 70's, the sport would be way more accepted, shit they used to carry the IPF Worlds on CBS in the 70's for fucksakes, the days of Larry Pacifico, Don Reinhoudt, Jon Cole, Jon Kuc and Mel Hennessey are over unfortunately.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 08:12:59 PM »
i agree with you here, i also think that if powerlifting cleaned itself up and got rid of the space age shirts, suits and wraps and did away with all the histrionics with ten guys onstage with a guy squatting, dudes slapping each other in the face, the Monolifts, the belly benchers and all that stuff and returned to what i think was the golden age of powerlifting, the 70's, the sport would be way more accepted, shit they used to carry the IPF Worlds on CBS in the 70's for fucksakes, the days of Larry Pacifico, Don Reinhoudt, Jon Cole, Jon Kuc and Mel Hennessey are over unfortunately.

Couldn't agree more.

Triple layer suits and antics like those you see from Westside Beanie Club, and other "tough" guys and gals...

It's killing the sport.

If I want to see a quarter mono-squat, I could watch Kamali's training vid.

Those clowns couldn't carry Captain Kirk's gymbag.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:58:02 PM »

No it wouldn't.  The average person who isn't a powerlifter doesn't have a clue if its a single, triple, or quintupple layer suit.  They don't know what a monolift is or a belly bencher and they don't care.  Thats why powerlifting is regulated to late night tv on obscure channels you need aluminum foil on the rabbit ears to get.  Its like watching late night poker on TV where the anouncer gets all technical on "the flop" and other bullshit.  No one who isn't playing really cares. 

Powerlifting simply doesn't have the mass marketability.  Its slow (most meets take all day) and the highlights don't take 5 seconds.  Heck, if anything, Miller or Lewis squatting 1200+ and Mendleson benching 1000+ IS the marketable thing.  It gets into the "freaky" nature of things that the average person might watch.  Thats why Rychlak was at wrestlemania last year.  Unfortunately, he choked and probably won't be back.  The techicalities are for us to argue in places like this board or at meets.  The public just doesn't care. 

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 07:00:39 AM »
No it wouldn't.  The average person who isn't a powerlifter doesn't have a clue if its a single, triple, or quintupple layer suit.  They don't know what a monolift is or a belly bencher and they don't care.  Thats why powerlifting is regulated to late night tv on obscure channels you need aluminum foil on the rabbit ears to get.  Its like watching late night poker on TV where the anouncer gets all technical on "the flop" and other bullshit.  No one who isn't playing really cares. 

Powerlifting simply doesn't have the mass marketability.  Its slow (most meets take all day) and the highlights don't take 5 seconds.  Heck, if anything, Miller or Lewis squatting 1200+ and Mendleson benching 1000+ IS the marketable thing.  It gets into the "freaky" nature of things that the average person might watch.  Thats why Rychlak was at wrestlemania last year.  Unfortunately, he choked and probably won't be back.  The techicalities are for us to argue in places like this board or at meets.  The public just doesn't care. 
bullshit, why were the IPF World meets carried on CBS in the 70's then, people aren't stupid, they can tell the difference between a t shirt and a singlet and a stupid triple heavy duty "blast" shirt and inch thick squat suit.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 07:08:07 AM »
BTW Mike Miller and Jeff Lewis couldn't hold a candle to Kazmaier, Reinhoudt, Cole, Karwoski, those guys did it right, rock bottom squats with minimal equipment and they didn't have to be 450lbs. to do it, these guys "competing" today are a joke.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 01:54:09 PM »
bullshit, why were the IPF World meets carried on CBS in the 70's then, people aren't stupid, they can tell the difference between a t shirt and a singlet and a stupid triple heavy duty "blast" shirt and inch thick squat suit.

I remember watching those old meets years and years ago.  Why did they stop being carried on CBS?  Because people wouldn't watch them 30 years ago, just like they don't want to watch powerlifting competitions now days.  Hell, if anything, I can see people 30 years ago as being more likely to watch powerlifting because they don't have the MTV induced "ADD" need to be constantly entertained/stimulated by TV.  Its that simple. 

As far as suits/shirts go, I totally disagree with that.  The average person doesn't have a clue.  If the announcer doesn't tell them exactly how many layers is in so and so's shirt, they won't know and they won't care.  Its like talking about corking a baseball bat.  I don't give a shit if a player has a corked bat.  I want to see them hit home-runs.   

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »
BTW Mike Miller and Jeff Lewis couldn't hold a candle to Kazmaier, Reinhoudt, Cole, Karwoski, those guys did it right, rock bottom squats with minimal equipment and they didn't have to be 450lbs. to do it, these guys "competing" today are a joke.

LOL.  Man, calm down.  No where have I said anything to try to take away from the greats of powerlifting.  These are the men that got me involved with lifting weights almost 20 years ago.  They are the guys I tried so hard to be like when I was a teenager and in college with the first informal "bench contests" in the gym.  They will forever be role models as far as I'm concerned as to how powerlifters should train and compete. 

The thing is they are from a different era.  Only Karwoski is still competing and whether he wants to admit it or not, age is a factor.  He's still awe inspiring as a powerlifter, but in my mind comparing the greats of 20 years ago with modern powerlifters is like comparing apples and oranges.  Times have changed.  That needs to be accepted.  If you took Kaz at his prime and put him in modern powerlifting gear who knows what kind of records we'd be talking about.  The fact is you can't do that.     

kmstrength

• Getbig I
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 05:38:28 PM »
i agree we need to cut down the gear.we also have to look like lifters, like kirk karwoski,muscle sells. maybe just have a best of the best meet. invite the top 10 lifters,and just show the highlights.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 06:12:51 PM »
I remember watching those old meets years and years ago.  Why did they stop being carried on CBS?  Because people wouldn't watch them 30 years ago, just like they don't want to watch powerlifting competitions now days.  Hell, if anything, I can see people 30 years ago as being more likely to watch powerlifting because they don't have the MTV induced "ADD" need to be constantly entertained/stimulated by TV.  Its that simple. 

As far as suits/shirts go, I totally disagree with that.  The average person doesn't have a clue.  If the announcer doesn't tell them exactly how many layers is in so and so's shirt, they won't know and they won't care.  Its like talking about corking a baseball bat.  I don't give a shit if a player has a corked bat.  I want to see them hit home-runs.   
the average person would be able to tell they're wearing something when these clowns walk out to do their bench press with their arms straight out in front of them like a mummy because the shirt is so tight and when a guy walks to the squat bar like he has a jumbo corn cob stuck up his ass because of the suit.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:22 AM »
ialso beleive that powerlifting is too much an american thing most of the records being held by americans lifters specially the bench press but as arule wehave to live with this the records are always changing fast specially the bench press number personally iam not a big fan of strongman events too much stamina involved

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 10:33:10 AM »
ialso beleive that powerlifting is too much an american thing most of the records being held by americans lifters specially the bench press but as arule wehave to live with this the records are always changing fast specially the bench press number personally iam not a big fan of strongman events too much stamina involved

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 07:44:45 AM »
The problem here is that there is not enough happening that can be related to everyday life in PLing. Strongman shows men lifting objects we've all seen or used (cars, kegs, boats, stones....) and know the difficulty of moving. The average man can relate much easier to this rather than a guy standing under a bar that they are told weighs 1000lbs. Now, I like watching PL meet vids but the average person sees a big guy, under a bar, moving it in one direction, and its over. To watch someone walking around with 2 refridgerators on a bar is much more entertaining you must admit!

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 07:28:41 AM »
more entrtaining yes but some of the strongman contest have weird events like running with objects a strength events is not a race  toomuch stamina and endurance inthes events and not enough brute power .so what we have left deadlifting . and now they have even a suit for deadlift

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 05:58:11 PM »
This is old but thought it is interesting

KAZ is in the house at NERB on May 6

Posted By: Bill Kazmaier (cache-mtc-ad01.proxy.aol.com)
Date: Friday, April 21, 2006, @ 1:14 p.m.

Thi is my first post on a powerlifting forum so bear with me.After a 25 year absence I'm returning to the sport of powerlifting one last time to try and make a difference.New England Record Breakers is the real deal.The way things used to be when powerlifting was on the rise and was being considered as an addition to the olympics.

Sadly,two individuals,one in particular,changed all that and have brought powerlifting to the the confused,unacceptable new low we now have.Instead of the Wide World of Sports,Sports Spectacular,prime time commercials and Arnold movies your sport is now a backyard circus act looked down upon by the general public.You now have a chance to take back your sport and become viable again.Don't be afraid of empty threats from an equipment manufacturer and certain federations.In reality they're more afraid of you than you are of them.Without you,the powerlifter,they can't survive.Keep in mind,people who make threats are actually cowards who live in fear themselves. I'm asking everyone who loves powerlifting to support this event by either competing or attending.Those of you who backed out because of threats of losimg sponsorship,I'm urging you to come back.I will personally help you obtain new sponsors who actually give money.Powerlifting can be great again with federations like Atlantis and 100% Raw.Change is scary and uncomfortable and I understand that.But change is inevitable,especially with the current situation powerlifting is in.If the powerlifting community gets behind this event,I give you my word that I will get behind powerlifting from now on and help bring it back to the forefront where it belongs. Let this be the event that marks the new beginning for all of powerlifting.Let's see who the strongest really is.See you on May 6.

Stay strong,

Body,mind and spirit

KAZ

Masters- 50-54
148#

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 08:34:52 PM »
more entrtaining yes but some of the strongman contest have weird events like running with objects a strength events is not a race  toomuch stamina and endurance inthes events and not enough brute power .so what we have left deadlifting . and now they have even a suit for deadlift

Ever seen IFSA? Youtube it and watch. You will see BRUTE strength such as pressing a 400+lb. log, walking with a 900lb yoke, and deadlifting 700lbs for reps. Its straight forward weights for the most part with a few exceptions such as the truck wheelbarrow and truck DL hold. Check it out, I think you'll like it.

8)

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 10:36:41 AM »
istill maintain that some of theses stunts require more endurance because of the repetitions involved .also more money in strongman than powerlifting i guess

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 06:48:57 AM »
a yoke race is more or less afeat of strength the word running is the thing . again isimply like to see dumbell andbarbell being elevated .but yes you have to compete in strongman events to be acomplete strongman. in fact you have tobe good everywhere

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »
The problem here is that there is not enough happening that can be related to everyday life in PLing. Strongman shows men lifting objects we've all seen or used (cars, kegs, boats, stones....) and know the difficulty of moving. The average man can relate much easier to this rather than a guy standing under a bar that they are told weighs 1000lbs. Now, I like watching PL meet vids but the average person sees a big guy, under a bar, moving it in one direction, and its over. To watch someone walking around with 2 refridgerators on a bar is much more entertaining you must admit!

Exactly...

Honestly, powerlifting is boring to watch. Watching 3 lifts over and over gets boring. Plus in todays FEDS there are like 12 spotters on each bench and squat attempt so how are we supposed to see the lift?

Strongman comps are very entertaining and there is much more to watch. Plus, strongman events usually have a deadlift or squat event anyway.

8)

Shraded

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 05:48:05 PM »
Anyone know the results from LA this weekend?

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 10:18:48 AM »
ithink that good lifting is very impressive is weightlifting boring so powerlifting when much heavier barbell are used is not necessary boring agreat squat with a barbell is sometimes breathtaking so for the dead in strongman they lifts for reps thats not always limit strength

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 10:47:18 AM »
strength is a strange thing . fot commercial reasons the strongman events sometimes prefer spectacular events . but tome limit strength has to be shown slowly . if you run jump and heave thats not brute strength

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 11:52:51 AM »
strength is a strange thing . fot commercial reasons the strongman events sometimes prefer spectacular events . but tome limit strength has to be shown slowly . if you run jump and heave thats not brute strength

Your english is terrible so i might have gotten the wrong impression but are you saying strongman events are not brute strength?

Strongman events require much more than just strength, that's what makes it so much better. take the strongest powerlifter in the world and throw him into a WSM event and he will get destroyed.

8)