Author Topic: Roman Catholicism versus Biblical Christianity  (Read 9183 times)

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
Re: Roman Catholicism versus Biblical Christianity
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2007, 11:58:07 AM »
will do

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2007, 01:39:10 PM »
How do you feel about these scriptures:

1 Tim 2:5  

"For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus."

Deuteronomy 18:10-12

'Let no one be found among you ... who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord'

....and thanks for engaging in this conversation bp :)
R

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 01:49:26 PM »
The only way I can explain those quotes is that tradition also plays a key role in our beliefs and these beliefs are central to our faith

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2007, 04:48:55 AM »
The only way I can explain those quotes is that tradition also plays a key role in our beliefs and these beliefs are central to our faith

benjamin, but what if some of those traditions contradict the word of God?

Mark 7:13
"Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that."

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2007, 12:36:14 PM »
see honestly there is so much to talk about the catholic church. its so fascinating.

its also the only faith where it can be traced from its origin to present without any gaps or long periods of time like many others.

Mary is so revereed as she was the mother of god. gave birth through immaculate conception. My church as many do have an alter dedicated to our lady.

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
see honestly there is so much to talk about the catholic church. its so fascinating.

its also the only faith where it can be traced from its origin to present without any gaps or long periods of time like many others.

Mary is so revereed as she was the mother of god. gave birth through immaculate conception. My church as many do have an alter dedicated to our lady.

Interesting..... are you devoted to Mary ie do you pray the rosary etc?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2007, 12:57:03 PM »

Goudy,
Yes, there is a lot to talk about in regards to the Roman Catholic Church.  So what does this altar look like?  Can you describe it?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »
ok well in our church there are 3 altars thge main large onne in the center. our church recently got refurbished and the altar on the left was previously the sacred heart sidre tho its now dedicated to st michael the archangel. the one on the right remains dedicated to st mary. its basically a candle stand where we can pray for our inyttentions, a statue and a few paintings. also there are flowers and wee small prayers etc. ill get a photo of google ofr summat v similar and post it

BP yes i am quite devoted tho i obviouslky am no where near perfect. i go to mass every week, recieve communion ewvery week, go to mass on all holy days of obligation. tho of course i have flaws. i used to say the rosary every night every may (the month of mary) with my famnily and every november (the month of the dead) thpo as we got older i stopped tho my mum and dad still say it. my dad prays every night, a ouyple of times. u c him take out his rosary ring.

He has a bible full of photos of us and prayers and a wee family prayer book where each night gives u a wee passage from the boble to read. this sounds mad tho he is no bible basher.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »
here is a crucifix my dad owns which he got from his mum, who in turn was given it as a child. i think its so class. it opens up to reveal 6 saints inside. i just thoink its dead class and when i was sick i kept it under my pillow.

st gabriel, st paul, st vince i, st gemmae, st dominic, st maria.

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2007, 02:42:04 PM »
Cool Cross man!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2007, 05:17:43 AM »
thanks man i think its cool as hell.

nemore questions folks

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2007, 07:22:52 PM »
Hi Budmungous!

I hope I'm not bumming you out and I really appreciate your input here. :)

Do you know where is it written in a regular bible that Mary was without sin? 

How does the church explain this scripture?
"And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour." Luke 1:46-47 

Stella,

Mary was without sin at least up until the time she gave birth to Jesus. Here is why, can we agree that the sin nature of man is in all of us? Every fiber of our body crys out to do our will and not the lords. Sometimes we do right but some times not, agreed? Our purpose in existence is to bare witness on the day of judgement when God will open the book of life to see who's name is written in it. If your name is, you have led a just and righteous life. In simple terms score one for God! If we are not in the book we will go to the lake of fire to be tormented forever and ever, score one for Satan. God being perfect in all ways knew this, and he also knew the only way to by pass the sin nature in all men (since its in every molecule that makes up our body) he must bypass the normal means to bring his son to earth. Mary was divine and Joseph had no relations with her, so Jesus would not be tainted with the evil sin nature of man. After Jesus was born.... well thats another story  ;D
X

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2007, 11:53:48 AM »
can we agree that the sin nature of man is in all of us? Sometimes we do right but some times not, agreed? 

agree

If your name is [in the book of life], you have led a just and righteous life. In simple terms score one for God!

I believe those whose names are in the book of life are people that accepted Christ as Savior...I think that is what you are saying here and we agree :)

Mary was divine and Joseph had no relations with her, so Jesus would not be tainted with the evil sin nature of man. After Jesus was born.... well thats another story  ;D

But if Mary was divine, how could and why did she sin later?  Is this teaching anywhere in the bible or is it a traditional Catholic doctrine?

R

Blue Heat

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2007, 05:04:24 AM »
                               CATHOLICISM                                 CHRISTIANITY

Authority             Scripture and tradition                              Scripture  
Bible                    Includes apocrypha                           Excludes apocrypha 
Salvation              Received at Water Baptism             By Grace thru Faith in Christ
                     (conditional-can lose it by sinning)              (unconditional)
Transubstantiation          Accepted                                      Rejected
Purgatory                      Accepted                                      Rejected
Prayer to dead saints      Accepted                                      Rejected
Priests                 Certain men as mediators                  All believers are priests

more later...

www.justforcatholics.org

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2007, 05:36:07 AM »
www.justforcatholics.org

Welcome, Blue Heat!  Thanks for the website.  I've been reading it and it's great.

Blue Heat

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2007, 05:55:42 AM »
You should hit the Q and A section. Very comprehensive.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2007, 06:46:18 AM »
Interesting site Blue Heat.  Thanks!
R