Author Topic: Six Nations starts Saturday  (Read 3660 times)

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
Six Nations starts Saturday
« on: January 28, 2007, 06:33:50 AM »
The greatest Rugby competition in the world starts on Saturday. Italy v France, England v Scotland and then Ireland v Wales on Sunday. 

Ireland seem to be favourites after the autumn internationals. England have a new coach. Italian players are starting to shine in the European Cup. Wales have a new saviour in James Hook. France are as unpredictable as ever. Scotland are struggling with injuries but a wounded dog is a dangerous animal. Going to be a good tournament this year.

Go Ireland!

Diesel1

• Getbig V
Re: Six Nations starts Saturday
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:16:45 AM »
They name the England squad today. Andy Farrell will be in and also Jason Robinson is to make his return to the England team.

I don't follow club rugby at all but international rugby union is just superb. I'm looking forward to this six nations

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:40:28 AM »
As a rugby league fan i just find the union game is too stop-start. But i do follow the big tournaments like 6 nations and world cup. Not much chance of england retaining the trophy i dont think??

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 05:50:38 AM »
How can it be greatest rugby competition if all blacks and ausies arent playing???

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 06:32:23 AM »
How can it be greatest rugby competition if all blacks and ausies arent playing???

greatest as in tradition, greatest as in the almighty passion and rivalry.

If you watch it you will understand how much means.

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 07:22:58 AM »
They name the England squad today. Andy Farrell will be in and also Jason Robinson is to make his return to the England team.

I don't follow club rugby at all but international rugby union is just superb. I'm looking forward to this six nations

Farrell and Robinson are in, which I think are good choices.  Wilkinson is in as well after playing about 30 mins of rugby last Saturday. The new coach must have great faith in the young out-halfs in England :P

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 08:05:01 AM »
Farrell and Robinson are in, which I think are good choices.  Wilkinson is in as well after playing about 30 mins of rugby last Saturday. The new coach must have great faith in the young out-halfs in England :P

Wilkinson's seems to be a huge gamble considering how much rugby he's played. A 40 minute game and straight into the side. Oh well, what do I know!!!!

England starting XV to face Scotland: 
I5 Iain Balshaw Gloucester Rugby
14 Josh Lewsey London Wasps
13 Mike Tindall Gloucester Rugby
12 Andy Farrell Saracens
11 Jason Robinson Sale Sharks
10 Jonny Wilkinson Newcastle Falcons
9 Harry Ellis Leicester Tigers
1 Perry Freshwater Perpignan
2 George Chuter Leicester Tigers
3 Phil Vickery London Wasps, capt
4 Louis Deacon Leicester Tigers
5 Danny Grewcock Bath Rugby
6 Joe Worsley London Wasps
7 Magnus Lund Sale Sharks
8 Martin Corry Leicester Tigers

Replacements:
16 Lee Mears Bath Rugby
17 Julian White Leicester Tigers
18 Tom Palmer London Wasps
19 Lewis Moody Leicester Tigers
20 Pete Richards Gloucester Rugby
21 Toby Flood Newcastle Falcons
22 Mathew Tait Newcastle Falcons

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 08:57:12 AM »
I think Wilkinson nearly had to play, I don't think Farrell would have started with Toby Flood at 10, the lack of experience would have been telling.  But the signals it gives to the rest of the team, and the other teams is that England can't win without Wilkinson. It is a huge gamble especially as given his past record; he is due to get injured again in this match...

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 01:26:47 AM »
I think they still remember that winning world cup drop goal, so cant let go of the guy...

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 05:48:05 AM »
I think Wilkinson nearly had to play, I don't think Farrell would have started with Toby Flood at 10, the lack of experience would have been telling.  But the signals it gives to the rest of the team, and the other teams is that England can't win without Wilkinson. It is a huge gamble especially as given his past record; he is due to get injured again in this match...

Good point. None of the pundits seem to think it's a bad idea either, so that saying something.

Jeremy Guscott is saying in todays Sun, that 'Ashton could be the best coach that England have ever had'

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 06:08:02 AM »
Good point. None of the pundits seem to think it's a bad idea either, so that saying something.

Jeremy Guscott is saying in todays Sun, that 'Ashton could be the best coach that England have ever had'

Jeremy would stick up for his old pal, Ashton coached him at Bath for quite a while, but he is a good coach. He did really well with Bath, was one of the World Cup assistant coaches and is very much liked by the players. 

It is a good idea because bringing Wilkinson back will lift the whole team.  Hero of the World Cup, great player and it seems everyone likes him (apart from the Scottish, Welsh, Irish and French supporters). Players, fans, media are lifted by him being back. One fear is what happens if he breaks down again or isn't fit enough to play the full game.  If the match is tight, do you leave him on when he is tired, or bring on a young guy to close out the game? Tough choice!

Now back to my team

Ireland team to face Wales

Ireland: G Dempsey; A Trimble, B O'Driscoll, G D'Arcy, D Hickie; R O'Gara, P Stringer; M Horan, R Best, J Hayes; P O'Connell, D O'Callaghan; S Easterby, D Leamy, D Wallace.
Replacements: I Boss, P Wallace, G Murphy, N Best, J Flannery, S Best, M O'Driscoll.

Think we will miss Shane Horgan, the guy is a brute with great hands but overall a good team.  Hope the scrum can hold up...if not those pesky Welsh might beat us!

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »
I like the look of this 'new' england. I wanted S Thompson at hooker, plus Dan Ward Smith at number 8 with the ageless Catt at 13. The team [and the fans] needed Jonny to come back, if only for the morale boost. I hope Ashton takes him off at half time - presuming we are whipping the woeful scots.

'Saxon', your ireland team are very overrated. I predict you will lose to Engand, France and Wales.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 06:58:43 AM »
What sort of performance do you guys think we'll see from Andy Farrell on saturday?

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 07:13:12 AM »
Its a gamble, but i think he will thrive. Union and league arn't that different, especially nowdays with drift defence/rush defence. How hard is it reall to learn what a ruck and a maul is?

Hopefully he will provide some stability and leadership in the backs - sorely missing in the Autumn series. In his league days he was good at drawing the man, so hopefully a miss pass and Robinsons in the clear!

I'm genuinely exited about this 'new look' England team. EVERYBODY has written them off. Now its time to prove them wrong :)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 07:30:29 AM »
Its a gamble, but i think he will thrive. Union and league arn't that different, especially nowdays with drift defence/rush defence. How hard is it reall to learn what a ruck and a maul is?

Hopefully he will provide some stability and leadership in the backs - sorely missing in the Autumn series. In his league days he was good at drawing the man, so hopefully a miss pass and Robinsons in the clear!

I'm genuinely exited about this 'new look' England team. EVERYBODY has written them off. Now its time to prove them wrong :)

Yeah I think he'll do well. He has that physical presence, great timing in his passing,  I'm looking forward to seeing him play. I've already got the beer in  :D

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »
Great game. How the fuck did Wilko manage a performance like that after so long out? He was jammy as fuck to get awarded that try although he did deserve it. Harry Ellis was immense, oh and the England forwards just dominated the jocks  ;D