Author Topic: Anti War Protest  (Read 7889 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Anti War Protest
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »
In terms of understanding politics, history, and economics, most americans are stupid.

Pretty strong statement. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2007, 02:27:23 PM »
Pretty strong statement. 

Sadly, it's true.

Go to the mall, the Docs office, the supermarket, and ask 100 people about the escalation of tensions with iran.  Ask them about the global ramifications of the US grabbing strategic oil reserves and avenues.  Ask them about the use of afghan poppies to float Wall Street.  Ask them why it has taken longer to stalemate in iraq and afghan, than it took to win WWII.  Ask them about US troop levels.  Ask them about the supposed domino effect we were supposed to see in S. Asia after bailing out of Vietnam and why we never saw it.

How many of those 100 will have a clue what you're saying?  IMO you are overestimating the intelligence and level of study of Americans in general. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »
IMO you are overestimating the intelligence and level of study of Americans in general. 

By saying I wouldn't call the majority of Americans idiots?   ???  You sound pretty pompous 240.  It sounds like you think too highly of yourself and not highly enough of your fellow Americans.  If I step outside right now, which would put me smack in the middle of the financial district, the overwhelming majority of the first "100 people" I encounter would be highly intelligent. 

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »
By saying I wouldn't call the majority of Americans idiots?   ???  You sound pretty pompous 240.  It sounds like you think too highly of yourself and not highly enough of your fellow Americans.  If I step outside right now, which would put me smack in the middle of the financial district, the overwhelming majority of the first "100 people" I encounter would be highly intelligent. 

But of course! Don't you see, they all just don't understand?!!

Seriously though, this is a typical mindset of a Leftist - deplore the unwashed masses and hail thyself.
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 03:50:29 PM »
By saying I wouldn't call the majority of Americans idiots?   ???  You sound pretty pompous 240.  It sounds like you think too highly of yourself and not highly enough of your fellow Americans.  If I step outside right now, which would put me smack in the middle of the financial district, the overwhelming majority of the first "100 people" I encounter would be highly intelligent. 

So now you work in the middle of the financial district as a college professor, after formerly being a high school dropout?  Dude, you're so confusing.

Anyway, yes.  Most people are sheep who parrot the things they hear in passing.  Myself?  I have a grad degree in business mgmt and i have a strong understanding of global economics, I have an undergrad in history.  And I *still* learn ten new things every day.  I cannot imagine the average high school dropout would possess much understanding of global concepts, and even worse, he wouldn't even know he lacked knowledge in that area.  He'd feel like he knew it all.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »
But of course! Don't you see, they all just don't understand?!!

Seriously though, this is a typical mindset of a Leftist - deplore the unwashed masses and hail thyself.

So true.  Talk about unmitigated arrogance.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2007, 03:54:21 PM »
So now you work in the middle of the financial district as a college professor, after formerly being a high school dropout?  Dude, you're so confusing.

Anyway, yes.  Most people are sheep who parrot the things they hear in passing.  Myself?  I have a grad degree in business mgmt and i have a strong understanding of global economics, I have an undergrad in history.  And I *still* learn ten new things every day.  I cannot imagine the average high school dropout would possess much understanding of global concepts, and even worse, he wouldn't even know he lacked knowledge in that area.  He'd feel like he knew it all.

Your self-congratulatory style knows no bounds.  How about you meet ten new people each day, instead?
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 03:57:19 PM »
Your self-congratulatory style knows no bounds.  How about you meet ten new people each day, instead?

I get like this with beach bum because he has said many times that he's smarter than me, his kids are smarter than me, etc, etc... which is odd.. because educated people don't typically resort to those insults, as "smarter than' falls apart as we hit college and levels of expertise in specialized areas is hard to compare.

Americans are a great people.  But they're not that bright when it comes to politics, history, and economics, and the long term implications of imperialism and globalization.   I'm sorry if BB got offended by "idiot".  I shall amend it to "simpleton" in the future.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007, 03:59:49 PM »
I get like this with beach bum because he has said many times that he's smarter than me, his kids are smarter than me, etc, etc... which is odd.. because educated people don't typically resort to those insults, as "smarter than' falls apart as we hit college and levels of expertise in specialized areas is hard to compare.

Americans are a great people.  But they're not that bright when it comes to politics, history, and economics, and the long term implications of imperialism and globalization.   I'm sorry if BB got offended by "idiot".  I shall amend it to "simpleton" in the future.

So let me get this right, you respond to his 'I'm smarter than you' claim with, 'I'm smarter than most other people in this country'?

Why do I have an image of Yogi Bear in my head?
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2007, 04:03:59 PM »
Bruce,

I feel BB is over-estimating the intelligence and level of understanding the US population possesses. 

He feels I'm underestimating them. 

I am only stating that I watch hours of news and documentaries, read a dozen newspapers online each day, and understand economics, and I am the first to admit I learn ten new things every day.  I certainly don't understand a great deal of things.  I am very sure that the average 9 to 5 guy who comes home, watched friends, has a beer, watches the game then crashes, follows a tad less.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2007, 04:15:05 PM »
Bruce,

I feel BB is over-estimating the intelligence and level of understanding the US population possesses. 

He feels I'm underestimating them. 

I am only stating that I watch hours of news and documentaries, read a dozen newspapers online each day, and understand economics, and I am the first to admit I learn ten new things every day.  I certainly don't understand a great deal of things.  I am very sure that the average 9 to 5 guy who comes home, watched friends, has a beer, watches the game then crashes, follows a tad less.

You raise a lot of issues that I could run with on this, but I won't.  I still don't think you should underestimate the average American, and their ability to make excellent decisions for their nation.  History has given us this.
Thread Killer

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »
Headhunter,
Why do you think there is no draft?
With the president wanting to send more troops to Iraq, enrollments down, possible showdown with Iran.

I would think the President would stand up and ask the country to sacrafice for our freedoms.

That is what former Presidents did when our nation was in crisis.

Sandra

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2007, 05:13:16 PM »
So let me get this right, you respond to his 'I'm smarter than you' claim with, 'I'm smarter than most other people in this country'?

Why do I have an image of Yogi Bear in my head?

Be careful when relying on allegations/comments/summaries made by 240.  He often makes stuff up. 

Actually, I have never claimed to be smarter than 240.  I have claimed my teenaged daughters are smarter than he is.  (They are.   :))

I just interviewed a guy who wants to work for my company.  As I was sitting there, I wondered whether he is one of those "idiot Americans."  240 would probably think so.   :-\   

His "I'm smarter than most other people in the country comments" (paraphrasing) are about the most arrogant comments I have read on this board. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2007, 05:14:23 PM »
You raise a lot of issues that I could run with on this, but I won't.  I still don't think you should underestimate the average American, and their ability to make excellent decisions for their nation.  History has given us this.

Absolutely correct. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2007, 07:52:46 PM »
Headhunter,
Why do you think there is no draft?
With the president wanting to send more troops to Iraq, enrollments down, possible showdown with Iran.

I would think the President would stand up and ask the country to sacrafice for our freedoms.

That is what former Presidents did when our nation was in crisis.

Sandra

Regardless of where u come down on the war..a draft would tear us apart. Even if 60% were for the war or better yet no real opinion....I have said it before..America is not at war, The US military is at war.
L

Anal Iceman Lubeth

• Getbig III
  • I am no longer on friendly terms with St. blechman
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2007, 07:59:27 PM »
America is not at war, The US military is at war.

that's totally true man.
Chadwick Mower in 2008

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2007, 08:06:48 PM »

Regardless of where u come down on the war..a draft would tear us apart. Even if 60% were for the war or better yet no real opinion....I have said it before..America is not at war, The US military is at war.
Now, you see. This where I have a problem.  If our comander in chief can send the military into a war, why can't he ask the american people to give more of themselves for the cause?  For what is right?  For them hating our Freedoms?

The US military does not live in a vaccuum.  You have family and friends that are left behind.  We miss you being with us and are worried about your well being.  Wondering if you will return to us, and if /when you do you are forever changed by your experience physically, psychologically, emotionally.

I feel that if we, as a nation send our strongest, youngest and bravest into harms way, The leaders of this country should ask those home in safety to rally around the war effort to show our support.

Instead we buy SUVs, electronics, etc and go on our daily lives as if there is no war going on.

Watching the local news tonight, there was not one mention of the going ons of the middle east and the war, much less about the rest of the world.
The lead story was about a pair of puppies with a rare disease and how they are surviving after surgery.

That is just not right.
Sandra

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
Now, you see. This where I have a problem.  If our comander in chief can send the military into a war, why can't he ask the american people to give more of themselves for the cause?  For what is right?  For them hating our Freedoms?

The US military does not live in a vaccuum.  You have family and friends that are left behind.  We miss you being with us and are worried about your well being.  Wondering if you will return to us, and if /when you do you are forever changed by your experience physically, psychologically, emotionally.

I feel that if we, as a nation send our strongest, youngest and bravest into harms way, The leaders of this country should ask those home in safety to rally around the war effort to show our support.

Instead we buy SUVs, electronics, etc and go on our daily lives as if there is no war going on.

Watching the local news tonight, there was not one mention of the going ons of the middle east and the war, much less about the rest of the world.
The lead story was about a pair of puppies with a rare disease and how they are surviving after surgery.

That is just not right.
Sandra

What exactly are you suggesting we do, Sandra? Isn't the purpose of having a military to ensure the remainder of the country can continue to go about their daily lives, supporting the economy, as you have noted?
Thread Killer