Author Topic: To the pro's and gurus on the board?  (Read 6646 times)

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
To the pro's and gurus on the board?
« on: January 29, 2007, 02:15:26 AM »
With all the recent debates on here about no cardio etc, a serious question. If Bob Chick, GH, Kamali, Lee whoever had to go outside now and run at 10k/hr, how far do you honestly think you would get? And i know that running isnt a requirement for bodybuilding, this aint a flame, i am just interested to know how bad these pro's cardiovasular fitness really is?? I would imagine that most couldnt make a mile ?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: To the pro's and gurus on the board?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:03:27 AM »
None of us are runners, and none of us would make it a mile.

It's got nothing to do with our cardio-vascular conditioning...it's got everything to do with the amount of muscle we carry and being built for the exact opposite of running.

I remember years ago getting ready for a show and Danny Padilla suggesting I throw some running into the mix for prep...I went out to my old H.S. track stretched out, warmed up...started jogging slowly...sped up up to a run...got about 2X around the track...and stopped.

My shins and lower back were on fire! Way too much muscle to be running and pounding the pavement...funny thing was...I wasnt winded/out of breath.

For the record...I was a running back in my day...and not just a running back...but the fastest guy on the team with a 4.5/40 and a 9.9/100.  Also ran the 220 in track...completed the 1 mi. run that was mandatory in the Police Academy, did the American Gladiator gig...

The bottom line is...we dont train to be runners, and arent built to be runners.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:06:02 AM »

It's got nothing to do with our cardio-vascular conditioning...it's got everything to do with the amount of muscle we carry and being built for the exact opposite of running.

I remember years ago getting ready for a show and Danny Padilla suggesting I throw some running into the mix for prep...I went out to my old H.S. track stretched out, warmed up...started jogging slowly...sped up up to a run...got about 2X around the track...and stopped.

My shins and lower back were on fire! Way too much muscle to be running and pounding the pavement...funny thing was...I wasnt winded/out of breath.

For the record...I was a running back in my day...and not just a running back...but the fastest guy on the team with a 4.5/40 and a 9.9/100.  Also ran the 220 in track...completed the 1 mi. run that was mandatory in the Police Academy, did the American Gladiator gig...

The bottom line is...we dont train to be runners, and arent built to be runners.
damn Bob those are awesome times, what did you weigh then? it always makes me laugh when these skinny clowns see a huge bodybuilder and out of jealousy say, "yeah but i'll bet he couldn't run a mile or throw a baseball" hahahaha, WTF difference does it make?

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 08:06:59 AM »

I see Mike O'hearn at Golds on the treadmill for an hour though sometimes.  You do as well right?  Walkin though.
Most are all show no go!

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:07:10 AM »
i here ya - i am currently in the 220's and i struggle with shins, back etc but still force myself to do it - just makes me wonder how guys like lennox lewis used to do it at around 280's. Bob - just out of interest - why do bodybuilders recommend walking for cardio instead of running?? I just done seem to be able to get my heart rate over 100 when walking so hence the need i feel to run - painful as it is!!??

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:08:35 AM »
i here ya - i am currently in the 220's and i struggle with shins, back etc but still force myself to do it - just makes me wonder how guys like lennox lewis used to do it at around 280's. Bob - just out of interest - why do bodybuilders recommend walking for cardio instead of running?? I just done seem to be able to get my heart rate over 100 when walking so hence the need i feel to run - painful as it is!!??
hahahaha, Lennox Lewis wasn't in the 280's.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 08:15:47 AM »

sorry having checked - his heaviest fight weight was around just shy of 260 - he was 6'5 after all - which means when he first went to camp about 12 weeks out from a fight he woulf probabbly have been in the 270s atleast. Still pretty tough to be running like 5-6 miles a day at that weight !!

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 08:15:47 AM »
\

Wrong:  And this was against klitchko at weigh in.  offseason he ballooned up
6ft5in
256.5lbs
84in
44in
46in
34in
17in
18.5in
8in
18in
26in
12in
15in
Most are all show no go!

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 08:16:35 AM »
\

Wrong:  And this was against klitchko at weigh in.  offseason he ballooned up
6ft5in
256.5lbs
84in
44in
46in
34in
17in
18.5in
8in
18in
26in
12in
15in

correct

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 08:18:12 AM »
you're telling me that at 256 his arms were only 17 inches around? hahahaha, somebody fibbed on the weight claim, if he was indeed 256 he must have concrete bones because he sure as shit doesn't look that heavy.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 08:20:49 AM »
dont forget heavyweight boxers do not have single digit bodyfat levels like bodybuilders do, he probably had an extra 20-30lb of fat on him compared to say a toney freeman

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 08:24:19 AM »
Lennox Lewis was a boxer...not a pro BB. Big difference. A boxer trains for many years with running as part of the program, they are used to it. They dont carry nearly the muscle that would become a problem for running.

Walking for an hour isnt a problem...the impact that running gives is. If one wanted to run, I might suggest using an eliptical instead...all the benefits of running without the wear and tear.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 08:25:27 AM »

what athletic thing are you built to do?  pose?  :-\

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »
Lennox Lewis was a boxer...not a pro BB. Big difference. A boxer trains for many years with running as part of the program, they are used to it. They dont carry nearly the muscle that would become a problem for running.

Walking for an hour isnt a problem...the impact that running gives is. If one wanted to run, I might suggest using an eliptical instead...all the benefits of running without the wear and tear.

i'm still amazed about that 4.5 40, that's an awesome time, how much did you weigh then?

tweeter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 08:27:42 AM »
I remember reading a while back that Johnny Jackson runs about 5 miles a day when trying to get into contest shape. I would also think some of the lighter more athletic guys like Shawn Ray could probably have run a pretty good distance back when they were competing. However, sometimes you would be suprised how well some big guys can run.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 08:28:21 AM »

So is walking for an hour at a brisk pace good enough cardio (ie. get your heartrate high enough) to burn fat??

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 08:45:25 AM »
damn Bob those are awesome times, what did you weigh then? it always makes me laugh when these skinny clowns see a huge bodybuilder and out of jealousy say, "yeah but i'll bet he couldn't run a mile or throw a baseball" hahahaha, WTF difference does it make?

Back in Bob's day they didn't have stopwatches. They used sun dials to measure the time and they used blonde virgins to measure the distance.  How accurate are these numbers?  Well, looking through the 1920 sports almanac, he would be a close second to Babe Ruth in the 100 meter run.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 09:17:19 AM »
i'm still amazed about that 4.5 40, that's an awesome time, how much did you weigh then?

I was right about 200 lbs.

We ran the 100 YARDS, not the 100 meters...

Tom Joad-

I'm  built to do just about any sport..and have. Fotball, baseball,basketball, bowling, golf...what are you built to do...post on message boards?

donthate1

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 10:07:10 AM »
I was right about 200 lbs.

We ran the 100 YARDS, not the 100 meters...

Tom Joad-

I'm  built to do just about any sport..and have. Fotball, baseball,basketball, bowling, golf...what are you built to do...post on message boards?
lol!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 10:12:23 AM »

I am more amazed at the 9.9 100.  That is world class time.  Somewhere he gained speed after 40 yards.  A 4.5 40 equates to about an 11 second 100.  Which is still awesome in my book.  We had the fastest high school runners in the country.  Henry Thomas, Michael Marsh and one other guy were all on the Olympic Team and I know Michael Marsh still runs track.  The other guy played pro football.  Can't remember his name. Henry Thomas had the fastest time in the 100.  In fact at the Sunkist Meet Henry raced Carl Lewis.  Henry stumbled at the starting blocks and was less than 2/100th's of a second behind Lewis at the finish line.  He was blazing.  Our high school track team was the first in the country to be sponsored by Nike. Now I am going to be thinking of that guys name all day.

I got it!  Curtis Conway.  He played pro football too

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 10:16:39 AM »
Big muscular guys can be conditioned

but mostly for sprints

how many marathon runners you seen that didn't look like famine victims
T

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »
Big muscular guys can be conditioned

but mostly for sprints

how many marathon runners you seen that didn't look like famine victims
all you do is puff the penis of sprinters when they are running
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 10:24:22 AM »
all you do is puff the penis of sprinters when they are running

great contribution shadow

shouldn't you be out catching stray dogs for dinner
T

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »
With all the recent debates on here about no cardio etc, a serious question. If Bob Chick, GH, Kamali, Lee whoever had to go outside now and run at 10k/hr, how far do you honestly think you would get? And i know that running isnt a requirement for bodybuilding, this aint a flame, i am just interested to know how bad these pro's cardiovasular fitness really is?? I would imagine that most couldnt make a mile ?

really don't get a lot of what is being posted on cardio and diet lately,

The "principles"  touting no cardio and eating mcdonalds all fvcking day are ridiculous.

I'm not even debating whether they are effective or not.

I'm saying I don't want to eat Mickey D's all day (yuk) and Cardio has many other benefits besides burning cals, such as cardiovascular conditioning.

just doesn't seem like a healthly lifestyle regardless of your appearance

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 10:41:52 AM »
I am more amazed at the 9.9 100.  That is world class time.  Somewhere he gained speed after 40 yards.  A 4.5 40 equates to about an 11 second 100.  Which is still awesome in my book.  We had the fastest high school runners in the country.  Henry Thomas, Michael Marsh and one other guy were all on the Olympic Team and I know Michael Marsh still runs track.  The other guy played pro football.  Can't remember his name. Henry Thomas had the fastest time in the 100.  In fact at the Sunkist Meet Henry raced Carl Lewis.  Henry stumbled at the starting blocks and was less than 2/100th's of a second behind Lewis at the finish line.  He was blazing.  Our high school track team was the first in the country to be sponsored by Nike. Now I am going to be thinking of that guys name all day.

I got it!  Curtis Conway.  He played pro football too

You are correct, sir....I was pretty damn fast from a dead start...but had awesome "after-burner" speed that would kick in at around 40-50 yards. BTW...these are documented times from the actual time trials we had at the beginning of the season.

They are also about 70 lbs. ago...lol.

Here's a funny story for you....I had an ongoing friendly challenge from NFL Pro football player Scott Virkus (sp?) to race as he was touted to be one of the fastest...we ended up racing a 50 yard dash outside of the bar I was bouncing at (Teasers/Rochester,NY circa 85-86) he slipped at the start and cried fowl that I beat him the first time...we did it again, and beat him again fair and square.