Author Topic: HELPING A DIABETIC LOOSE WEIGHT...  (Read 3000 times)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
HELPING A DIABETIC LOOSE WEIGHT...
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:02:19 AM »
I have a new client who wants to loose weight. I have never worked with a diabetic before and want to help him slim down. He is about 30 lbs overweight and does 10+10+10+20 iu's a day. I need serious responses from disgusted, gh15 , princess l , and any insulin dependent bb who dieted for a show. I consider this a serious issue and a serious inquiry and would appreciate any input . I'll be posting more details about the guy like weight , what I plan to do with him and anything else needed. If it is possible, i'd like this to be a sticky since I think a lot of people diabetics or not could benefit from it. Thanx , Sebastian.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: HELPING A DIABETIC LOOSE WEIGHT...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:05:59 AM »
I assume he is on bodybuilding drugs? Remember that diabetics are more susceptible to cardiovascular damage... something to keep in mind with the bb drugs.

Other than that he simply has to reduce his calories to lose weight, same as anyone else.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 04:12:44 AM »
I assume he is on bodybuilding drugs? Remember that diabetics are more susceptible to cardiovascular damage... something to keep in mind with the bb drugs.

Other than that he simply has to reduce his calories to lose weight, same as anyone else.
He has never been on drugs and never will. He is a client of mine.

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 05:27:34 AM »
I am a type 1 diabetic as well....... tell him to reduce his carbohydrates, but to do this his insulin will also have to be cut..... it is a difficult balance trying to keep blood glucose levels up and insulin levels down when dieting..... is he on the insulin pump or injections??? if he is on the pump it will be much easier as basal rates can be cut while doing cardio...... make sure you don't suggest clen as it can be dangerous for diabetics.... low fat is also a good start as sometimes the ability to cut carbs is not there

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 05:29:57 AM »
IFBB Fitness Pro Kim Seelet is diabetic, She's written a good deal about it and always very helpful. Shoot her an email on her web site: http://www.kimseeley.com

Elevate Your Image.™

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 05:31:09 AM »
I feel like the standard getbig advice, "up the dosage", wouldn't be appropriate here.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 05:39:31 AM »
I have a new client who wants to loose weight. I have never worked with a diabetic before and want to help him slim down. He is about 30 lbs overweight and does 10+10+10+20 iu's a day. I need serious responses from disgusted, gh15 , princess l , and any insulin dependent bb who dieted for a show. I consider this a serious issue and a serious inquiry and would appreciate any input . I'll be posting more details about the guy like weight , what I plan to do with him and anything else needed. If it is possible, i'd like this to be a sticky since I think a lot of people diabetics or not could benefit from it. Thanx , Sebastian.

OMG A DIABETIC HAS PUT HIMSELF IN YOUR HANDS AND YOU HAVE TO COME TO GETBIG FOR ADVICE!!!!!!

HE HAS SIGNED HIS DEATH WARRANT!! WHY ARE YOU TRAINING PEOPLE WHEN YOU ARE CLEARLY A RETARD!!!!

LMAO A TRAINER ASKING HERE FOR ADVICE!!

TA TA
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 05:43:19 AM »

OMG A DIABETIC HAS PUT HIMSELF IN YOUR HANDS AND YOU HAVE TO COME TO GETBIG FOR ADVICE!!!!!!

HE HAS SIGNED HIS DEATH WARRANT!! WHY ARE YOU TRAINING PEOPLE WHEN YOU ARE CLEARLY A RETARD!!!!

TA TA

not is that fair to Sevatese..

after all only an expert would recommend t3/clen to his girlfriend in order to drop 10lbs...right?

here is our tennis player turned personal trainer in his full glory...keep in mind that this is after admitting to cycling test..he has to be an expert at something...I don't know what though
Here comes the money shot

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 06:43:24 AM »

TA TA

hahahahahah was thinking the same -- what the fvck is wrong with people?

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 06:51:41 AM »
sevastase will probably recommend a t3\insuln\dnp\clen\eca cycle for a person with diabities  ::)

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
He will probably recommend to up the insulin dosage 100% he is so stupid.

The picture of him posted earlier tells us all we need to know about this guy!

ta ta

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 11:12:19 AM »
I have worked with plenty of type 2 but not many type 1. Example. When I owned my gym an older lady who was friends with my Mom joined. She was about 40 pounds overweight and smoked and could barley walk. Took about 30iu of insulin a day. She also needed oxygen thru out the day. I put her on a very low carb diet. One of the meals was a huge salad with a lot of good greens. I made sure she took vitamins to get all of her nutrients that she needed. Anyway, After about 6 weeks she was down 30 pounds, stopped smoking an was walking on a treadmill (not for weight loss  ;D) about 30 min. She was no longer on any insulin either. Her Dr told her to keep on doing whatever it was that she was doing as her bloodwork was much improved. She eventually quit the gym. I saw her in a store about 6 months later. She was back to smoking and in a wheel chair and back on oxygen. She looked like she had gained the weight back too. About a year later she was dead. What's the old saying? You can lead a horse to water.

In short

Lean meats, plenty of veggies and essential fats. A good multi vitamin would be good too.

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 11:33:35 AM »
I had a male diabetic client when I was still actively training clients at the former Gold's Gym (now Planet Fagness).  He came to me at 20-30 lbs. overweight, 50 year old BM.  After several weeks of normal training, he began to work on his diet more and do cardio on the treadmill, elliptical and bike at low intensity.  I don't remember the exact dosages as this was 3 years ago, but he was taking two shots a day.  He wanted to take supplements so put him on ON Whey, Trac creatine and a diabetic multivitamin pak from GNC all AFTER having his DR. SIGN OFF ON IT.  He gained some solid muscle and leaned out considerably over the period of months that I trained him and by his DR's DIRECTION was able to reduce his iu's considerably. 

So basically, you can train your client per normal, just let the DR. ADJUST THE INSULIN as needed and approve any and all supplementation you may want to suggest.  Always have something on hand in case he were to crash as well, in our gym it was peanut M&M's, haha...

i often wonder what happened to old Mr. Wendell...
i

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 11:45:09 AM »

TA TA
IT's the first time I train a diabetic and I'm not ashamed to ask for help. I am learning too.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 11:48:59 AM »
I have worked with plenty of type 2 but not many type 1. Example. When I owned my gym an older lady who was friends with my Mom joined. She was about 40 pounds overweight and smoked and could barley walk. Took about 30iu of insulin a day. She also needed oxygen thru out the day. I put her on a very low carb diet. One of the meals was a huge salad with a lot of good greens. I made sure she took vitamins to get all of her nutrients that she needed. Anyway, After about 6 weeks she was down 30 pounds, stopped smoking an was walking on a treadmill (not for weight loss  ;D) about 30 min. She was no longer on any insulin either. Her Dr told her to keep on doing whatever it was that she was doing as her bloodwork was much improved. She eventually quit the gym. I saw her in a store about 6 months later. She was back to smoking and in a wheel chair and back on oxygen. She looked like she had gained the weight back too. About a year later she was dead. What's the old saying? You can lead a horse to water.

In short

Lean meats, plenty of veggies and essential fats. A good multi vitamin would be good too.
I'll be talking to the doctor he sees and detail him what i'm planning to do with him. I'll let her decide on his insulin adjustements and basically I was a bit scared to reduce his carbs.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 11:52:24 AM »
IT's the first time I train a diabetic and I'm not ashamed to ask for help. I am learning too.

Yes but you clearly should not be doing it if you do not have the expertise, you should be studying the topic or shadowing someone else who does know

ta ta

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 11:55:24 AM »
Yes but you clearly should not be doing it if you do not have the expertise, you should be studying the topic or shadowing someone else who does know

ta ta
3 people that know how to properly train someone in my hometown. I'm one of them. none of the other 2 trained any diabetics with one exception , grossly overweight lady who sticks with it for a while, not succesfull, gets cataract. So I gotta ask the experts. It will be a learning expirience as well.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »

ta ta

There is no expertise involved. Diabetics know who to adjust their insulin according to how they eat. It is much easier to use when you are eating clean than dealing with the unpredictableness of eating tons of sugar and drinking alcohol. The Dr is only going to tell him or her that same thing I have just said. To use the glucometer and go from there.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 12:00:45 PM »
My Mother has Diabetes Type 1 and training someone with this condition when you simply know nothing as Sevatase does could cause major problems.

If you have to come here to learn about it then I'm sorry but thats fucked up.

We have Mr.Nasa priciples spouting off giving false information etc, for everyone like you who has sound advice there 10 other telling us shit.

You should not be training someone if you know so little you have to come here!! Period.

ta ta

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 12:01:33 PM »

ta ta
This is how u get the expertise...u train someone with diabetes. ;)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »

Did you mention if they are type 1 or 2?

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 12:04:12 PM »

yes fair enough but what happens if the test dummy gets fucked up?

ta ta

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 12:05:02 PM »
No , he did not. I met with him once and the only thing he mentioned was that he does 10+10+10+20(SLOWRELEASE)IU'S A DAY.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 12:06:28 PM »
yes fair enough but what happens if the test dummy gets fucked up?

ta ta
Don't worry, he won't. The only thing that will happen is the fact that he will look nice and in shape.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 12:09:09 PM »
Don't worry, he won't. The only thing that will happen is the fact that he will look nice and in shape.

ta ta man is right. Tell this guy to keep eating crap food so he won't have to adjust his insulin.  ::)