Author Topic: Olympic lifts  (Read 2851 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Olympic lifts
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:03:15 PM »
If u had a routine based around olumpic lifting, with a couple of other exercise eg bench, rows, squats, presses etc. You would build strong muscle, but would it help build bigger muscles??

I pay a sprt based around power (rugby) and although i train using more High intensity methods, iv been curious as to wether u could add size aswell as strenght using olympic lifts (with sum other exercises as i mentioned)??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
Re: Olympic lifts
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 04:10:57 AM »
Yes, all those movements can cause hypertrophy, but I think that you should pay more attention to your diet, that's the key factor to add muscle!
Just curious, what is your training routine towards rugby (gym routine of course)?
S

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 08:20:01 AM »
Yes, all those movements can cause hypertrophy, but I think that you should pay more attention to your diet, that's the key factor to add muscle!
Just curious, what is your training routine towards rugby (gym routine of course)?

hey bro, at the moment my gym routine isnt really rugby orientated, more just muscle strength orientated.

I train using more HIT principles, based mainly aroung compound moves though.

I am thinking of keeping some of my movements , executing them in high intensity style (positive failure rest/pause, drop set)....and dropping a couple of movements in favour of more olympic lifting?!

davie

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 08:26:23 AM »
hey bro, at the moment my gym routine isnt really rugby orientated, more just muscle strength orientated.

I train using more HIT principles, based mainly aroung compound moves though.

I am thinking of keeping some of my movements , executing them in high intensity style (positive failure rest/pause, drop set)....and dropping a couple of movements in favour of more olympic lifting?!

davie
It seems a good idea, but can you recover form all the effort, I mean rugby and gym trainings, in order to create an anabolic state to build muscle? I think that drop sets might be a little to much, altough they are excellent to generate hypertrophy, but that kind of training demands lots of rest and a good diet. Are you juicing to boost recovery and build muscle or you are not juicing?
S

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:42:04 AM »
It seems a good idea, but can you recover form all the effort, I mean rugby and gym trainings, in order to create an anabolic state to build muscle? I think that drop sets might be a little to much, altough they are excellent to generate hypertrophy, but that kind of training demands lots of rest and a good diet. Are you juicing to boost recovery and build muscle or you are not juicing?

I dont juice, dont like the idea of it (not offence to those who do).

Ive been usinfg the HIT style routine for a while now, and have made strength gains in everything. My split at the mo is:
MONDAY=-back/shoulders
WEDNESDAY=legs
FRIDAY=chest/arms

It seem to be good, im actually having week off at ther mo b4 hitting it hard again on monday. So iv been doing the HIT style training already, just curious as to how dropping an exercise per body part and adding in olympic lifts would benifit/hinder/ alter, muscle/size gains??

Iv been playing and training for rugby 3 times a week (including game) for about 5 years now so im more used to it.

davie

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:42:19 AM »
I dont juice, dont like the idea of it (not offence to those who do).

Ive been usinfg the HIT style routine for a while now, and have made strength gains in everything. My split at the mo is:
MONDAY=-back/shoulders
WEDNESDAY=legs
FRIDAY=chest/arms

It seem to be good, im actually having week off at ther mo b4 hitting it hard again on monday. So iv been doing the HIT style training already, just curious as to how dropping an exercise per body part and adding in olympic lifts would benifit/hinder/ alter, muscle/size gains??

Iv been playing and training for rugby 3 times a week (including game) for about 5 years now so im more used to it.

davie
Hy davie!
Well, I don't think that dropping an exercise per body part is a good idea. Drop series are exausting and demand lots of rest between sets and between workout days. I feel that when I train some kickboxing, mainly in my legs and shoulders, bacause they are exausted. Our body can supply carbs to a depletd muscle at an average of 5% every two hours, so in order to gain muscle we must respect the minumum of 40 hours of rest so that carbs and protein can be synthesized and "fuel" the muscle. So my advice is for you to do compound exercises and program very well your schedule. Ex: you need to train your legs in a day that you might allow your quads, hams and calves to rest at least 40 hours, ingesting carbs every 2 hours. Leg training (even after an rugby training) squat 4x8-8-6-4 / leg extensions 2x12/ leg curl 2x12 (always using the heaviest weight you can handle with proper form).
In your training you must have a very heavy exercise for 4 sets, followed by 2 medium exercises of 10 to 12 reps. It must allow you to perform fast training, not losing muscle protein and even be able to generate an anabolic reponse that you must seize immediately after training with a 75grs carb and 25grs protein shake. Your WO should not last more than 50 minutes, and avoid simple sugars before training.
I will try to find an article from Galloway, a well known player of american football, and I will pm you!

S

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 03:28:20 AM »
You got that article yet 'rccs?'

I train more high intensity low volume style. Just to let u know!

davie