Author Topic: MD Radio Vs PBW: What did you think of last nights show?  (Read 5990 times)

AVBG

Re: MD Radio Vs PBW: What did you think of last nights show?
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2007, 02:38:21 PM »
I didn't see any buttkissing when Bob was asking Ronnie the tough questions about losing at the Olympia.

or calling him on the "racist" comments.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2007, 02:51:27 PM »
I am not going to pass judgment on either show, but I will say this: From what I can tell, MD is going after a different niche than PBW, and using different growth goals.

Pro Bodybuilding Weekly is going for the mainstream bodybuilding & fitness audience.  They got Arnold, they got Sirius, they are looking like a serious media force in the future as they get more face time and coverage with the webcast events.  They are here to stay, and establishing a strong foothold in enough areas that they are dependent on none.  

MD, on the other hand, is going for a very small, yet perhaps less casual group.  They are shooting for the hardcore, animal types that read MD and frequent the message boards.  They are more dependent upon the forums- if MD forum attendance falls, their audience falls significantly.  PBW, on the other hand, loses a much smaller % of its listener base if getbig fails.

PBW is best for the 20-50 year old fan, following the sport because you like today's greats and greats from years past.  The forum is clean and you can listen to it with the family.  MD is for the 13-25 group who enjoys profane antics and hit-or-miss attempts at radioic ownings.  Higher highs, lower lows.

Interesting is the recent move by MD to 'take on' PBW by banning the link, and all links to BBing.com and others. IMO, competition is NOT what they want at this point, as PBW owns them on market share and growth rate.  If I ran MD, I would be doing everything possible to form an amicable relationship with PBW and benefit from the growth of the sport.  By closing links to outside boards, they are also closing the influx of listeners.  And, pissing off decision makers at the larger organizations.

MD is now in a position where it can only further try to reinforce its renegade niche, as the bridges burned prevent a mutually beneficial relationship with the larger BBing.com/PBW.  They've made their bed, so now they should work to ensure the sheets are clean and they meet the needs of their very small niche of listeners.  I am curious how they will grow this listener base though - the # of MD mag and board members is much more finite, than PBW's potential audience of all BBing.com readers and webcast viewers, plus Sirius and armed forces network.  In other words, MD can have EVERY reader and board member listening, 100% saturation of potentials, and still pale in comparison with the number of casual listeners that the Arnold interview on PBW will grab on Sirius in one week alone.  Not a strong position for longterm growth.

It's nothing against either group, just my own analysis looking at both.  

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2007, 02:57:44 PM »
PBW is best for the 20-50 year old fan..
I agree with your comments Rob. How did you derive at 20-50 year olds? And not the coveted 18-34 year old demographic?

Elevate Your Image.™

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
I agree with your comments Rob. How did you derive at 20-50 year olds? And not the coveted 18-34 year old demographic?

I altered it slightly based upon past olympians and the years they won.  A 14-year old who watched Larry Scott win his Sandows would be in his mid-50s today, so I skewed it upward. 

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2007, 03:33:39 PM »
can anyone think of a radio show that has 3 hosts? either romano or palumbo needs to be dropped. the badass/controversial/howard stern wannabe shit doesnt work. we get enough shit already then we have these clowns at md pushing us into a deeper subculture. we dont want that- which is why pbbw has taken of and why md will go belly up.. the last time i went to the newstand they guy said they no longer carry md,, but they had natural muscle. keep up the good work md ::)

Buttsuck

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2007, 03:59:17 PM »
can anyone think of a radio show that has 3 hosts? either romano or palumbo needs to be dropped. the badass/controversial/howard stern wannabe shit doesnt work. we get enough shit already then we have these clowns at md pushing us into a deeper subculture. we dont want that- which is why pbbw has taken of and why md will go belly up.. the last time i went to the newstand they guy said they no longer carry md,, but they had natural muscle. keep up the good work md ::)
I say drop romano and put valvelino on a leash.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »
Great insight 240! I think your analysis will bring PBW good karma! Which has no price!

I am not going to pass judgment on either show, but I will say this: From what I can tell, MD is going after a different niche than PBW, and using different growth goals.

Pro Bodybuilding Weekly is going for the mainstream bodybuilding & fitness audience.  They got Arnold, they got Sirius, they are looking like a serious media force in the future as they get more face time and coverage with the webcast events.  They are here to stay, and establishing a strong foothold in enough areas that they are dependent on none. 

MD, on the other hand, is going for a very small, yet perhaps less casual group.  They are shooting for the hardcore, animal types that read MD and frequent the message boards.  They are more dependent upon the forums- if MD forum attendance falls, their audience falls significantly.  PBW, on the other hand, loses a much smaller % of its listener base if getbig fails.

PBW is best for the 20-50 year old fan, following the sport because you like today's greats and greats from years past.  The forum is clean and you can listen to it with the family.  MD is for the 13-25 group who enjoys profane antics and hit-or-miss attempts at radioic ownings.  Higher highs, lower lows.

Interesting is the recent move by MD to 'take on' PBW by banning the link, and all links to BBing.com and others. IMO, competition is NOT what they want at this point, as PBW owns them on market share and growth rate.  If I ran MD, I would be doing everything possible to form an amicable relationship with PBW and benefit from the growth of the sport.  By closing links to outside boards, they are also closing the influx of listeners.  And, pissing off decision makers at the larger organizations.

MD is now in a position where it can only further try to reinforce its renegade niche, as the bridges burned prevent a mutually beneficial relationship with the larger BBing.com/PBW.  They've made their bed, so now they should work to ensure the sheets are clean and they meet the needs of their very small niche of listeners.  I am curious how they will grow this listener base though - the # of MD mag and board members is much more finite, than PBW's potential audience of all BBing.com readers and webcast viewers, plus Sirius and armed forces network.  In other words, MD can have EVERY reader and board member listening, 100% saturation of potentials, and still pale in comparison with the number of casual listeners that the Arnold interview on PBW will grab on Sirius in one week alone.  Not a strong position for longterm growth.

It's nothing against either group, just my own analysis looking at both.   

AVBG

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
bumps for KARMA!

thisiskeith12

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2007, 03:05:27 PM »

AVBG

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2007, 03:06:44 PM »
Amen to that! :D

You know it brother! who did you vote for in the MD cyber? MD cyberclassic- Lawrence Hoshannah. vote for Lawrence is a vote for getbig -that's good karma too!!!

thisiskeith12

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2007, 03:10:20 PM »
You know it brother! who did you vote for in the MD cyber? MD cyberclassic- Lawrence Hoshannah. vote for Lawrence is a vote for getbig -that's good karma too!!!

Done did it! You know, I think Jay won the Olympia based on his karma status + me meeting him last summer + his 27 postings on GetBig a few months before the show. He obviously knows how to play his cards.

Plus, you must remember Ronnie failed to show up a week before the O. :(

AVBG

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2007, 03:15:05 PM »
Done did it! You know, I think Jay won the Olympia based on his karma status + me meeting him last summer + his 27 postings on GetBig a few months before the show. He obviously knows how to play his cards.

Plus, you must remember Ronnie failed to show up a week before the O. :(

You cannot deny the power of PBW, often copied.. never duplicated... the Karma is too strong!

thisiskeith12

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2007, 03:18:39 PM »
You cannot deny the power of PBW, often copied.. never duplicated... the Karma is too strong!

Midgets + Urinals = Toes

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2007, 08:13:44 AM »
Rumor is Larry Pepe is leaving the show. I don't know if it's true or not but it would be a smart move on his part. He did much better on his own before with Muscle Radio.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »
Podcasting and online radio shows have been around a long time. Props to Dan for having the marketing sense to be the first to market it to the bodybuilding world. There were others interviewing Ronnie and Jay for their online radio shows before PBW, but were not successful as they didn't know how to market their product. Dan and Bob marketed their product to bodybuilding and put them on the map as the industry leader.

They are the show which others are compared to and admittedly others fall short. Pepe did a great job on his own with Muscle Radio as he has a relationship with the athletes and is able to get their stories. He brings that out of the guests but combining him with the No Bull crew is not the same. As a bodybuilding fan, I don't want to hear about Valentino talking about banging a tranny. It's more interesting to hear about Dave Palumbo's diets or Larry addressing their training. No Bull's first show was great as they covered the Olympia the next day but since then it's failed to match up.

MD had a chance to be another credible online source for news and bodybuilding info, given their list of competitors under contract as well as the staff. They had a chance to establish themselves with more credibility by adding Larry Pepe and Bill Comstock to their productions but failed to utilize their strong points.

Excellent post.

The only thing I'd say is that there is room for some element of 'tabloidism' in the industry.  But even at that, the program needs to be about the personalities and gossip in bodybuilding, and not about the hosts.  If their goal is to merely expand the platform of Valentino, then they should just give him his own show..."The GV Listen To Me Hour" or whatever.  Covering gossip is hard work, but can play huge dividends if they'll go about it the right way. 

For now, though, they're going to need to DEFINE who they are and what they want the show to be about.  At some point, listeners are going to get tired of homegrown tranny gang-bang stories.