Author Topic: CDN Town Tells Immigrants They Can't Stone Women...  (Read 4286 times)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
CDN Town Tells Immigrants They Can't Stone Women...
« on: January 30, 2007, 03:19:18 PM »
At first glance it seems like it might be racist... but...perhaps not, when you consider what's going on in the UK and elsewhere. I think some Dutch towns issued similar edicts/information for immigrants. 

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Immigrants to the small Quebec town of Herouxville must not stone women in public, burn them alive or throw acid on them, according to an extraordinary set of rules made public by the local council.

The declaration, published on the town's Web site, has deepened a debate in the predominantly French-speaking Canadian province over how tolerant Quebecers should be towards the customs and traditions of immigrants.

"We wish to inform these new arrivals that the way of life which they abandoned when they left their countries of origin cannot be recreated here," said the declaration, which also says women are allowed to drive, vote, dance, write checks, dress how they want, work and own property.

"Therefore we consider it completely outside these norms to ... kill women by stoning them in public, burning them alive, burning them with acid, circumcising them etc."

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2007-01-30T174329Z_01_N30302451_RTRIDST_0_OUKOE-UK-STONING.XML&pageNumber=1&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: CDN Town Tells Immigrants They Can't Stone Women...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »
Stoning women? What's wrong with these fuckers?  ???

At a certain point you can't say it's custom or culture anymore because barbaric behavior is not acceptable, regardless of whether it's apart of culture or not.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 03:26:11 PM »
"Therefore we consider it completely outside these norms to ... kill women by stoning them in public

Does this mean they can stone them in private? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »
Can we just get them all stoned? 

Then we can eat afterwards  ;D

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 03:34:58 PM »
Can we just get them all stoned? 

Who, the Quebecers, lol?

Does this mean they can stone them in private?

No, I doubt it.  ;)  Quebec is a hugely feminist province.  I think it's a backlash against the large influx of muslims into the communities. They aren't dealing well with the Niqabs and other customs they are not accustomed to dealing with. English used to be the second language... it no longer is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Who, the Quebecers, lol?

No, I doubt it.  ;)  Quebec is a hugely feminist province.  I think it's a backlash against the large influx of muslims into the communities. They aren't dealing well with the Niqabs and other customs they are not accustomed to dealing with. English used to be the second language... it no longer is.

Well, they drafted the language like English is their second language.   :)  I would have removed the word "private." 

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:44:15 PM »
Well, they drafted the language like English is their second language.   :)  I would have removed the word "private." 

You get used to it, lol.  But do you mean you would have removed "private" or "public?"  I guess they meant women mustn't be executed ad hoc in that manner.  Highly doubtful anyone would ruin their household furnishings by throwing rocks indoors.

I think people are growing concerned as there were murmurings at one time of introducing Sharia law in the province of Ontario.  Judi would know more about that than I though.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 03:47:29 PM »
You get used to it, lol.  But do you mean you would have removed "private" or "public?"  I guess they meant women mustn't be executed ad hoc in that manner.  Highly doubtful anyone would ruin their household furnishings by throwing rocks indoors.

I think people are growing concerned as there were murmurings at one time of introducing Sharia law in the province of Ontario.  Judi would know more about that than I though.

Doh!   :-[  I would have removed the word "public."   :)

BTW, what a painful way to go.  I was hit by a rock once by my friend's kid while we were hiking.  Hurt like heck.  If his father wasn't right next to me I would have whacked that kid.   :) 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 04:32:44 PM »

Third-world Canada at it again... ::)

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »
Doh!   :-[  I would have removed the word "public."   :)

BTW, what a painful way to go.  I was hit by a rock once by my friend's kid while we were hiking.  Hurt like heck.  If his father wasn't right next to me I would have whacked that kid.   :) 

I've been hit by a rock too, and yes it does hurt like heck.  But I'm sure after the first ten stunning blows, you probably don't feel anything anymore.

This Canadian thing is just a little disturbing because it shows a growing trend toward intolerance (in a country known worldwide for its tolerance)... or maybe it's just the clash that eventually happens when so many cultures, including the founding one, are thrown together and told to "play nice."

In any event, I doubt this kind of thing would happen in the US.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 04:37:40 PM »
Third-world Canada at it again... ::)

Lol... so far, only seems like Quebec.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
I've been hit by a rock too, and yes it does hurt like heck.  But I'm sure after the first ten stunning blows, you probably don't feel anything anymore.

This Canadian thing is just a little disturbing because it shows a growing trend toward intolerance (in a country known worldwide for its tolerance)... or maybe it's just the clash that eventually happens when so many cultures, including the founding one, are thrown together and told to "play nice."

Don't they have laws on the books that already addresses that stuff? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 04:41:05 PM »
I've been hit by a rock too, and yes it does hurt like heck.  But I'm sure after the first ten stunning blows, you probably don't feel anything anymore.

Getting stoned should be painless     :P

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 04:51:53 PM »
These cultures must die.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 05:01:23 PM »
Don't they have laws on the books that already addresses that stuff? 

Technically yes... Canada hasn't been stoning women for quite some time I believe. Lol. This statement released by the town was supposed to address the concern about other cultural aspects immigrants might bring with them. Like the wearing of niqabs... there was mention in the article of a Montreal gym that frosted its windows so a religious group wouldn't be offended by immodest showing of skin, etc...

Getting stoned should be painless  :P

Any pointers Ozmo?  :P

These cultures must die. 

I guess the Aliens will take care of that...

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 05:04:08 PM »

Any pointers Ozmo?  :P

-  Don't close your eyes when you bend down to take a hit from the bong or when you bring it up to your face.
-  Don't take a hit from the lit end of a joint.
-  Don't put the seeds in your brownies.

that's all i can think of rightnow.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 05:05:03 PM »
Does Canada condone or in any way faciliate torture of its citizens?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 05:19:28 PM »
Technically yes... Canada hasn't been stoning women for quite some time I believe. Lol. This statement released by the town was supposed to address the concern about other cultural aspects immigrants might bring with them. Like the wearing of niqabs... there was mention in the article of a Montreal gym that frosted its windows so a religious group wouldn't be offended by immodest showing of skin, etc...

lol.  I sure hope so.  I was referring to this:  "the declaration, which also says women are allowed to drive, vote, dance, write checks, dress how they want, work and own property." 

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »

I guess the Aliens will take care of that...

They are still not here.

Trust Debussey. When they come, these crap is the first to go.

Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 05:28:50 PM »
lol.  I sure hope so.  I was referring to this:  "the declaration, which also says women are allowed to drive, vote, dance, write checks, dress how they want, work and own property." 

Well, last time I checked, my friends and family were driving and working, writing all kinds of checks, and definitely using their credit cards.  ;D The ratifiers of the document were just trying to send out a "reminder" so that those who do not believe in these values "would not come." Anyway, I went to their website to see if there was a better English translation (lol) but looks like the government has shut them down... or let me put it another way, probably "invited" them to do so.

Does Canada condone or in any way faciliate torture of its citizens?

Condone? I hope not. Facillitate? The Arar case is evidence that yes, we do.

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 05:29:40 PM »
man i live in montreal quebec and trust me, those fu*kers don't respect anything we have, i saw so many things you wont believe me........

i saw it on tv about what that town wants and trust me, they are right!!!
are you delusional?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 05:32:57 PM »
Well, last time I checked, my friends and family were driving and working, writing all kinds of checks, and definitely using their credit cards.  ;D The ratifiers of the document were just trying to send out a "reminder" so that those who do not believe in these values "would not come." Anyway, I went to their website to see if there was a better English translation (lol) but looks like the government has shut them down... or let me put it another way, probably "invited" them to do so.

Hey would this be xenophobia?  [I've been waiting to use that word since I learned it from Jag.]

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 05:36:33 PM »
At first glance it seems like it might be racist... but...perhaps not, when you consider what's going on in the UK and elsewhere. I think some Dutch towns issued similar edicts/information for immigrants. 

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Immigrants to the small Quebec town of Herouxville must not stone women in public, burn them alive or throw acid on them, according to an extraordinary set of rules made public by the local council.

The declaration, published on the town's Web site, has deepened a debate in the predominantly French-speaking Canadian province over how tolerant Quebecers should be towards the customs and traditions of immigrants.

"We wish to inform these new arrivals that the way of life which they abandoned when they left their countries of origin cannot be recreated here," said the declaration, which also says women are allowed to drive, vote, dance, write checks, dress how they want, work and own property.

"Therefore we consider it completely outside these norms to ... kill women by stoning them in public, burning them alive, burning them with acid, circumcising them etc."

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2007-01-30T174329Z_01_N30302451_RTRIDST_0_OUKOE-UK-STONING.XML&pageNumber=1&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1

Why would any country extend an invitation to people that it would suspect of being capable of brutally murdering others?  Why does Islam constantly raise these sorts of illogical trade-offs in Western nations?
Thread Killer

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 05:54:21 PM »
man i live in montreal quebec and trust me, those fu*kers don't respect anything we have, i saw so many things you wont believe me........

i saw it on tv about what that town wants and trust me, they are right!!!

Just curious what you've seen.  I've seen the man with the whistle calling the errant womenfolk in niqabs when they were toodling too far behind, and another smacking some woman on the street, but that's about it. Granted, it's galling to see.

Hey would this be xenophobia?  [I've been waiting to use that word since I learned it from Jag.]

Lol Beach, maybe, but I don't think so, since they've said they welcome anyone. They are opposed to extreme values, and Sharia law was mentioned.  Xenophobia means fear of things foreign. People often say some Americans are xenophobic because they distrust or fear anything non-American without knowing anything about what they fear. In the case of this town, they would be willing to share a falafel with you, they just don't want to see women wearing shrouds, abused, etc...

Why does Islam constantly raise these sorts of illogical trade-offs in Western nations?

hmmm... not sure exactly what this means?

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 05:57:45 PM »
well, lets say you go to another country, you have to adapted!, right?, sure you can bring your religion, but there is a fu*kin' limit, when immigrants try to change laws that was already establish, that its wrong.....

ie: there is a gym in montreal, it's been there for years, right in front of it there's a new building where immigrants can go there for study and everything, well guess what, they when on tv and they ask the gym to put something on the windows so they can see inside, cause they are not allowed to see peoples half naked.....

In a school a kid was told not to bring is knife in school (with a 4-6 inchs blade), well the parents when to court and they won, because it's part of their religion..... try to do that, you'll probably go to jail!!!

on and on.......

the reason why that town did that are for reasons like that, in some part of montreal you think your in irak!

it's becoming very bad in some area, they don't respect anything, like i said i saw so many things....
are you delusional?