Author Topic: The real necessary protein intake  (Read 2602 times)

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
The real necessary protein intake
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
I've been reading some threads here saying that 120grs or 150grs are enough to sustain muscle growth(ridiculous for bbers over 100kgs). Protein is a must, no bber, juiced or not, can bypass protein.

"Protein 101: What is protein anyway?

Its not surprising that bodybuilders put so much emphasis on protein. After all, protein is construction material for the human body like bricks are for a building. Body structures made from protein include skin, hair, nails, bones, connective tissue and of course skeletal muscle. Other proteins in your body include antibodies, enzymes, hormones such as insulin, and transporters such as hemoglobin. Next to water, protein is the most abundant substance in the body, making up approximately 15-20% of your weight. Of most interest to the bodybuilder is the fact that 60-70% of all protein in the body is located in the skeletal muscles. In order for muscle growth to occur, every day you must consume more protein than your body utilizes.

Like fats and carbohydrates, proteins are also composed of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. The difference is nitrogen. Only protein can bring nitrogen into the body. Because muscle tissue contains most of the body's protein and protein contains nitrogen, scientists can study the effect of dietary protein on muscle growth by comparing the amount of nitrogen consumed with the amount excreted (in feces, urine and sweat). If the intake of nitrogen is greater than the amount excreted, then we know that protein is being retained and new muscle is being synthesized. This is known as positive nitrogen balance. If more nitrogen is excreted than consumed, you are in negative nitrogen balance, indicating that protein is being broken down and muscle is being lost."

http://www.leehayward.com/protein_part1.htm
S

VY_BUFF

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: The real necessary protein intake
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 08:44:54 AM »
so does that mean that if someone who weight trains regularly experiences a caloric deficit while maintaining a positive nitrogen balance, that person should in theory be gaining muscle mass while losing fat?

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 08:47:46 AM »
so does that mean that if someone who weight trains regularly experiences a caloric deficit while maintaining a positive nitrogen balance, that person should in theory be gaining muscle mass while losing fat?
In theory yes. Although, calories are needed in muscle synthesis, one can lose fat and mantain muscle.
S

VY_BUFF

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 08:53:54 AM »
rccs, do you think protein absorbsion is more prevalent after a long high volume workout or after a short explosive workout with low reps.  Although more muscle tissue is torn with heavier weights, blood flow is greater after volume workouts due to increased heart rate.

What do you guys think on the subject?

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:59:14 AM »
You can buy 10 pounds of quality protein for 55 bucks, there should be no reason why anyone would want to skimp on it. Just drink 1.5-2 grams for every pound of lean mass and be done with it.
tiny-tit bounty hunter

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 09:00:36 AM »
100-120 is all you need, heck maybe even more than you need....

L

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 09:01:41 AM »
rccs, do you think protein absorbsion is more prevalent after a long high volume workout or after a short explosive workout with low reps.  Although more muscle tissue is torn with heavier weights, blood flow is greater after volume workouts due to increased heart rate.

What do you guys think on the subject?
when we train short explosive workouts with low reps there is a bigger increase in testosterone production, thus making protein synthesis more efficient. Short intense trainings don't waist much muscle nutrients like aminoacids, but be careful because this kind od training can, in a long term affect your joints. Personaly I train shortly and intensively with some cardio 2x week.
S

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:05:30 AM »
100-120 is all you need, heck maybe even more than you need....

Haha is that what you get daily directly from the source?

The fact is nobody knows exactly how much a bodubuilder needs, so why take the chance of consuming too little.

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 09:06:42 AM »

The fact is nobody knows exactly how much a bodubuilder needs, so why take the chance of consuming too little.

That's exactly my point, why even chance it when it's so damn cheap.
tiny-tit bounty hunter

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »
Protein, as we all know has an important function in a bodybuilders diet.  I try to get 200gr. a day in 6 small meals.  While carbs and fats play an important role in muscle fullness and cell reproduction, protein has many jobs to do before it's used up as energy.  Repairing cells or as they say, the building blocks of muscle.  It also repairs wounds, helps vision, hair, skin and just about any other organ in your body. 

Their are many debates on the subject, but as stated above protein nowdays is cheap.  Why take a chance when 1 lb. per lb., which also takes into account for lean mass and fat,  has been the basic tool in measuring protein intake for weight training athletes since supplements became OTC in 95.  More studies have been done on protein in the last 10 years than in the hundreds of years that protein has been available and studied.

If I go under 200gr or miss a meal, I loose a lb, and I know it's lean.  Same thing if I overdue it with carbs or fats, I gain a lb. and I know it's junk.  It's a science, but not an exact science, meaning what will work for 1, won't necessarily  work for someone else.  Experiment and find our just how much protein, carbs and fats your body needs beyond its BMR.  That, I found out is the only way in determining how much of each nutrient you need.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »

Little ? 120 grams hahhahah ok keep Mr. Weiders and his freinds pockets lined with your money bro..
The Number 2 in Scranton

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:32:36 AM »
I eat less than 100g per day, and I'm bigger and leaner than I have ever been. 
Y

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »
I eat less than 100g per day, and I'm bigger and leaner than I have ever been. 
thats the fcuk im talking bout!!!
The Number 2 in Scranton