Author Topic: Sen. George Allen... hypocrite?  (Read 1825 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Sen. George Allen... hypocrite?
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:28:09 PM »

I don't recall the questions about Allen and his Jewish identity? 

In this clip Allen is asked about his jewish ancestry.

and followed up on CNN

In an extended version of the previous clip Allen answers the question with a question: why is his religious background relevant?  But everyone in VA knows why it is relevant:  VA is a conservative state and a KKK stronghold.  In fact, Allen’s base is made up of people who specifically hate Jews.

Is a question asking him about his Jewish identity (his mother and grandfather) out of line?  Is Allen a hypocrite for cultivating the votes of people who hate Jews while hiding the fact that his family background is jewish?  BTW, Allen claims he just learned of his Jewish identity shortly after that debate; that is a claim very few people believe.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: Sen. George Allen... hypocrite?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 07:32:35 PM »

and followed up on CNN

In an extended version of the previous clip Allen answers the question with a question: why is his religious background relevant?  But everyone in VA knows why it is relevant:  VA is a conservative state and a KKK stronghold.  In fact, Allen’s base is made up of people who specifically hate Jews.

Is a question asking him about his Jewish identity (his mother and grandfather) out of line?  Is Allen a hypocrite for cultivating the votes of people who hate Jews while hiding the fact that his family background is jewish?  BTW, Allen claims he just learned of his Jewish identity shortly after that debate; that is a claim very few people believe.

Is VA really a KKK stronghold? Strong enough to have actual electing powers?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:38:15 PM »

You obvioulsy haven't spent much time in VA.  Yes, VA is one of the Klan's major base of operations in the US.  Nothern VA is enlightened but middle and southern VA is Klan country.  Virgina Tech's main campus is in the midst of it. :-[

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 07:39:43 PM »

and followed up on CNN

O.K.  I watched both clips.  I believe the questions were out of line.  They were simply trying to embarrass the man.  Who cares if his mother is Jewish?  It doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me, unless HE hates Jews.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:44:08 PM »
O.K.  I watched both clips.  I believe the questions were out of line.  They were simply trying to embarrass the man.  Who cares if his mother is Jewish?  It doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me, unless HE hates Jews.

The constituents he cultivates care.  A lot!  If his Klan buddies (rumours have swirled for years that Allen is a Klansman) thought for a moment that he was Jewish or had a Jewish background they’d just as soon noose him!

In a state with large swaths of people who hate Jews this is a very relevant question.

Hypocrites should be outed and embarrassed.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:47:39 PM »
The constituents he cultivates care.  A lot!  If his Klan buddies (rumours have swirled for years that Allen is a Klansman) thought for a moment that he was Jewish or had a Jewish background they’d just as soon noose him!

In a state with large swaths of people who hate Jews this is a very relevant question.

He cultivates constituents, some of whom may be anti-semites, so the fact that his mother is Jewish becomes relevant to whether or not he should be a United States Senator?  I am all for outing bigots, but this sounds like six degrees of separation to me.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:49:18 PM »

Yikes, if that is true then WOW. I don't know if there's anything more pathetic than a man with Jewish blood being a member of the KKK.

Shocking if it's true.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:59:21 PM »
He cultivates constituents, some of whom may be anti-semites, so the fact that his mother is Jewish becomes relevant to whether or not he should be a United States Senator?  I am all for outing bigots, but this sounds like six degrees of separation to me.

Hmm, If you cannot connect these dots that's your business...  :-\

But Allen’s constituents can and they did; he lost his bid for reelection.  An openly Jewish senator from VA?  Hell no!  They weren’t having it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 08:02:34 PM »
Hmm, I guess you just don’t get it.  :-\  Fair enough.

Allen’s constituents however, did get it; he lost his bid for reelection.  An openly Jewish senator from VA?  Hell no!  They weren’t having it.

I guess we just disagree.  I don't think you can connect the dots.

Are you saying Allen lost because his mother is Jewish?  I think the whole "N" word thing was a much bigger problem for him.  But then again I didn't follow that election closely. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 09:48:47 PM »
I guess we just disagree.  I don't think you can connect the dots.

Are you saying Allen lost because his mother is Jewish?  I think the whole "N" word thing was a much bigger problem for him.  But then again I didn't follow that election closely. 

Anyone in or from central or southern VA can answer that question; that portion of the state will never elect an openly Jewish person to the senate.  You have to understand the way many of these people think: if his mother is Jewish then he is Jewish as well—even if he is a practicing Christian.  It doesn’t have to make sense to you.  Bigotry is not about making sense.

The only way Allen could have saved himself (with his Klan buddies) would have been to reject his mother and grandfather.  He didn’t do that and paid the price.

Allan was obviously hurt by his Macaca comments as well.  Episodes and incidents of racism have dogged him throughout his career, but he was always able to overcome them because the good old boys had his back.  They were always ready to support a racist Allen.  But they drew the line at supporting a Jewish Allen.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 10:02:57 PM »
Georgie a hypocrite? Shocking!

George must feel better after today's Biden Macaca moment.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 10:15:01 PM »

I wouldn't say "stronghold".

I'm originally from Virginia and while there have been Klan rally's in the state... They are always met with a LOT of resistance and most people hate them! I'm interracial and I know when I hear about them, they always make my stomach churn.

I hear that states like Mississippi are much worse...

That could be wrong though.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »
I wouldn't say "stronghold".

I'm originally from Virginia and while there have been Klan rally's in the state... They are always met with a LOT of resistance and most people hate them! I'm interracial and I know when I hear about them, they always make my stomach churn.

I hear that states like Mississippi are much worse...

That could be wrong though.

I've driven through VA and stopped at a restaurant on the way through, that's the extent of my experience in Virginia. Like you I always thought of KKK strongholds being in places like Kentucky and Mississippi and Alabama. I thought VA was a little too far north and a little too close to the Capitol to be a bastion of KKK members, of course I'm somewhat ignorant to the KKK so I could be completely wrong.

Was it the type of situation where the KKK would have a rally and more people would show up to protest them than would show up to support them?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 10:50:51 PM »
I've driven through VA and stopped at a restaurant on the way through, that's the extent of my experience in Virginia. Like you I always thought of KKK strongholds being in places like Kentucky and Mississippi and Alabama. I thought VA was a little too far north and a little too close to the Capitol to be a bastion of KKK members, of course I'm somewhat ignorant to the KKK so I could be completely wrong.

Was it the type of situation where the KKK would have a rally and more people would show up to protest them than would show up to support them?

Absolutely... I remember a few years ago, that there was a rally outside of Richmond in a county called King and Queen I believe... It was on private property, and there were huge protests outside of the premises on the state maintained road... It was really a sight to see... I swear more people were out holding signs than actually walking into the place (probably by a factor of 50).

There are obviously racists in Virginia (on both sides) and there is of course black / white tensions at times... honestly though, it's much more culturally diverse than let's say... Utah or Oklahoma.

My highschool was probably 50/50 in it's race categories, and everyone got along great... really not too many issues beyond your occasional moron.