Author Topic: Biden's description of Obama draws scrutiny  (Read 968 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Biden's description of Obama draws scrutiny
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:27:55 AM »
And this man wants to be president?   ::)

Biden's description of Obama draws scrutiny
POSTED: 9:12 a.m. EST, February 1, 2007
Story Highlights• Biden called Obama first "clean" African-American candidate
• Biden said comments were taken out of context
• Obama not offended by comments but called them "historically inaccurate"
• Jesse Jackson said comments were "highly suggestive" but not "off-color"

From Xuan Thai and Ted Barrett
CNN Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Joe Biden planned to spend Wednesday focusing on his official announcement that he was running for president, but the Delaware Democrat instead found himself defending remarks he made to the New York Observer about his Democratic opponents.

In the article published Wednesday, Biden is quoted evaluating presidential rivals Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, former Sen. John Edwards, D-North Carolina, and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois. His remarks about Obama, the only African-American serving in the Senate, drew the most scrutiny.

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man." (Watch Biden's comments and Obama's reaction )

Biden issued a statement Wednesday afternoon, saying: "I deeply regret any offense my remark in the New York Observer might have caused anyone. That was not my intent and I expressed that to Sen. Obama."

Biden also spoke to reporters in a conference call Wednesday afternoon and said the remark was taken out of context.

"Barack Obama is probably the most exciting candidate that the Democratic or Republican Party has produced at least since I've been around," Biden said on the call. "And he's fresh. He's new. He's smart. He's insightful. And I really regret that some have taken totally out of context my use of the world 'clean.'"

Biden said he was referring to a phrase used by his mother.

"My mother has an expression: clean as a whistle, sharp as a tack," Biden said.

Obama, in a brief off-camera interview in a Senate hallway, said he thinks Biden "didn't intend to offend" anyone.

"He called me," Obama said. "I told him it wasn't necessary. We have got more important things to worry about. We have got Iraq. We have got health care. We have got energy. This is low on the list."

"He was very gracious and I have no problem with Joe Biden," Obama added.

Later on Wednesday, Obama, in a written statement, said "I didn't take Sen. Biden's comments personally, but obviously they were historically inaccurate. African-American presidential candidates like Jesse Jackson, Shirley Chisholm, Carol Moseley Braun and Al Sharpton gave a voice to many important issues through their campaigns, and no one would call them inarticulate."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Biden's description of Obama draws scrutiny
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 08:14:21 AM »

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »
This is dumb on so many levels ::)  I'm starting a campaign to not allow the media to decide our nominees and the president.  I can find and twist statements made by about any politician or any person out there all day long and watch them meltdown in defending what they didn't intend to say.  Disgusting how they jump on a comment, amp it into a scream and send it through the media echo chamber ::)  Bush made comments that could have easily ended his chances... a lot of comments... almost daily at times! Not one of them was ever sent through the media echo chamber and discussed at length over a 48 hour period ::)  The media thinks it has the power to sway minds and it probably does to a large degree... That shit has to stop.  Petty crap like this deserves to have the channel flipped,... just do it ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 09:28:53 AM »
Biden = windbag who loves himself so much he can't stop talkig when there's a mic around.  Still, if people learn to ignore his words, and he's the anti-PC candidate, he could get election in the vein of Bill Clinton.

Now, speaking of things you shouldn't say, who said this gem?

If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier... ( Chuckles ) ( laughter ) ...just so long as I'm the dictator. ( Laughter )

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:30:02 AM »
Bum's on a Biden post-a-day tear...
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=123468.0

And maybe tomorrow I can make it THREE days in a row.   :)  But in the meantime, here is another Biden gem:

Biden told a crowd on June 17, 2006: “You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.”

I doubt we will ever call this man "Mr. President."