Author Topic: Updated Pride 33 card  (Read 5379 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Updated Pride 33 card
« on: February 01, 2007, 02:47:36 PM »
Wanderlei Silva vs. Dan Henderson (205lb title fight)

Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Allistair Overeem

Hayato "Mach" Sakurai vs. Mac Danzig

Kazuo Misaki vs. Frank Trigg

Antonio Rogerio Noguiera vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (Team Quest)

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Travis Wiuff

Sergei Kharitonov vs. Gilbert Yvel

Cung Le vs. TBA

Kazuyuki Fujita vs. TBA

Wes Sims vs. TBA
Predictions
 40/61

rico28

• Getbig II
Re: Updated Pride 33 card
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 07:09:31 AM »
awesome card , cant wait for the diaz gomi fight.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 08:32:55 AM »
im at work and ive just gone hard................

what a card, whoever says UFC has the best cards hasnt got a fucking clue about MMA
Scouser on Tour

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 08:39:59 AM »
The UFC cards are terrible. Outside of the fact that it's CC's and Rampage's debut, it's a terrible card.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:50:44 AM »
Looks like an average card. Lot's of losers on it.
Z

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »

hahahaha, such a UFC fanboy. I wonder what rematch UFC has in store UFC70. I'm thinking Shamrock/Ortiz 38.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 09:42:16 AM »
Well let's take a closer look at this "awesome" card...

Nobody gave a shit when Nick Diaz fought in UFC.

Dan Henderson is a good fighter, but 14 outta his 26 fights went to decision (including his last 4 fights) that doesn't make him that exciting.

Overeem has lost 3 of his last 4 fights.

Danzig comes straight from KOTC.

Trigg lost twice in UFC and after that he wasn't very interesting. Pride picking up UFC's leftovers.

Wiuff is a nobody. Won 2 outta his 5 lasts fights. (and those 2 wins was against one with a 0-4-0 record and one with a 13-15-0 record!!) I'm sure Nakamura will have big problems with him...

Sokoudjou got 3 fights, 2 wins, 1 loss (against Glover Teixeira, who has lost against Ed Herman!!) And he's matched against Rogerio who is 12 and 2 (who has wins over Dan Henderson and Overeem in 2 of his last 3 fights)  ::)

Gilbert Yvel has quite a Pride record... 9 times fighting in pride, 7 losses, 1 win and 1 no contest...
There's no way in hell UFC would let someone lose 7 times and win ONCE and continue to fight for them, but in Pride this apparantely is NO problem...

Cung Le probably should stick to San Shou.

Wes Sims... more UFC leftovers. After his 3 losses in a row back in 2004 he wasn't wanted in the UFC anymore. Pride, getting desperate, have no problem taking him up...

When UFC  signs CroCop and Rampage - Pride signs Wes Sims and Frank Trigg  ;D
Z

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 10:19:26 AM »

I actually agree with you for once!

There are some real losers on there, I'm shocked at the amount of washed up fighters they have got!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 03:31:36 PM »
well look at it from this perspective:

Dan Henderson is amongst the very best in his division in the world, boring or not.

Wandy would kill most of the UFC LHW fighters just to get a fight with Chuck and needs no introduction

Kharitonov is a very exciting up and comer who can more than hold his own

Minotoro is amongst the best in the world in his division and usually puts up a crowd pleasing showing

Gomi Vs Diaz should be a cracker of a fight, just because he didnt have a cult following doesnt mean Diaz cant do the business. Gomi is the best in his weight class in the world........

Cung Le is one to watch, hes a knockout merchant who has a habit of finishing opponents early and has to be a favourite whoever hes fighting

Shogun, well, is there anything negative you can say about him? Nope, i didnt think so.

Now in conclusion: when was the last time you saw a UFC card that had so much strength in depth? Not just that, but there are still alot of mega stars missing from the card. Sure there may be some "weak" fighters on there but when you compare the companies, there is only 1 winner

Scouser on Tour

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 04:28:47 PM »
Looking at it from that perspective won't work. That's just it - putting a few good individual fighters on the card doesn't do shit, they need to be matched against equally good fighters to put on a good show.

Having someone like Shogun, who pretty much hasn't lost since he got choked by Sobral in 2003, against Overeem (who Shogun knocked out in the first round, 1,5 years ago) and who has lost 3 outta his 4 last fights isn't very exiting...

By the way, there's a guy who has beaten all the three mentioned above, his name is Chuck and he fights in the UFC  ;D

Pride is going nowhere with this.
Z

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »
so you have Chuck (world number 1) fighting guys like Jeremy Horn, an obviously outclassed Babalu and Tito twice, the "legendary" Vernon White etc and youre talking about mismatches! And when exactly did Chuck beat Shogun because i missed that fight, infact i believe history itself missed it!

The main event is a great fight, Gomi Vs Diaz should be exciting, Overeem can still show glimpses of his old self so i dont see the problem. Look back at the UFC cards and show me one with a decent array of talent? UFC 64 for example was fucking pathetic. They struggle so badly that they have endless rubber matchs on almost every card between fighters most people dont want to see in the ring against each other
Scouser on Tour

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »

Having someone like Shogun, who pretty much hasn't lost since he got choked by Sobral in 2003, against Overeem (who Shogun knocked out in the first round, 1,5 years ago) and who has lost 3 outta his 4 last fights isn't very exiting...

By the way, there's a guy who has beaten all the three mentioned above, his name is Chuck and he fights in the UFC  ;D

Pride is going nowhere with this.

Chuck never fought Shogun.
Predictions
 40/61

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 11:22:08 AM »
I love both guys, but this is a weakish card.

Pride has got Wes "the project" simms on board!!!! FFS

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 11:33:24 AM »
for Pride it is a weak card

E
E

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
LEts be honest...this is a weak card for Pride.  Their last American card was weak.  I LOVE pride but they have been weakened in the past year because of the Yakuza/television money thing.  The fact that they had so much depth to begin with allows them to put on a decent show still, but by their standards...its a kinda weak card.

Now...that being said, I can't remember the last fight I saw in UFC that didn't have a round go bye without people in the audience BOOING!  And I'm talking even the anchor fights.  Tim silvia has been boo'ed in every round of his last two "championship" fights.  Chuck/Tito got boo'ed in every round except the 4th where he won.  And lets not begin to talk about Heath Herring's fight....It's like watching amateur MMA hour these days at the UFC.
Now it appears that Zuffa is willing to open the books to get some better talent, but they still have a ways to go.  Pride is vulnerable, but even if it folds, there is so much demand for MMA fighting in Japan that something will take its place...the money and history are there.

Sidenote...has anyone else noticed that the timing of the Pride allegations and problems coincided with their atempt to "move in on America"?   LEts be honest, we all know that Zuffa Inc is far from clean and surely has a little "mob" money in it...I mean it does all happen in Vegas and we know if anything like this happens in Vegas...certain people get a cut.
IT just seems interesting to me...like two mob orgs fighting about money....because no matter what they say about the sport or the athletes...its about the money.

Anyone else think its a little suspicious?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 04:14:39 PM »
so you have Chuck (world number 1) fighting guys like Jeremy Horn, an obviously outclassed Babalu and Tito twice, the "legendary" Vernon White etc and youre talking about mismatches! And when exactly did Chuck beat Shogun because i missed that fight, infact i believe history itself missed it!

The main event is a great fight, Gomi Vs Diaz should be exciting, Overeem can still show glimpses of his old self so i dont see the problem. Look back at the UFC cards and show me one with a decent array of talent? UFC 64 for example was fucking pathetic. They struggle so badly that they have endless rubber matchs on almost every card between fighters most people dont want to see in the ring against each other

Oops, got lost their in the statistics for a moment. Anyway, point is that according to you guys Pride is in a league on their own but I see UFC closing in on them. Surely it can't be good that Pride all of a sudden starts to sign old UFC fighters, no longer wanted by UFC. Or that they're losing big names to them.
And big names is one thing, big matches another. Diaz fighting in the UFC wasn't a big thing, but apparantely he's up their being exciting all of a sudden, just because he fights in Pride. If Overeem loses, he'll have 4 losses in his 5 latest fights... who wants to see someone like that? Lost twice against Nog, probably twice against Shogun... might as well make him lose twice against Chuck too then (if UFC would accept a LOSER, which I doubt)

Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »
LEts be honest...this is a weak card for Pride.  Their last American card was weak.  I LOVE pride but they have been weakened in the past year because of the Yakuza/television money thing.  The fact that they had so much depth to begin with allows them to put on a decent show still, but by their standards...its a kinda weak card.

Now...that being said, I can't remember the last fight I saw in UFC that didn't have a round go bye without people in the audience BOOING!  And I'm talking even the anchor fights.  Tim silvia has been boo'ed in every round of his last two "championship" fights.  Chuck/Tito got boo'ed in every round except the 4th where he won.  And lets not begin to talk about Heath Herring's fight....It's like watching amateur MMA hour these days at the UFC.
Now it appears that Zuffa is willing to open the books to get some better talent, but they still have a ways to go.  Pride is vulnerable, but even if it folds, there is so much demand for MMA fighting in Japan that something will take its place...the money and history are there.

People in the audience boo at anything. Doesn't really say much. And the money and history of fighting is in the US as we know from boxing.
If MMA catches on for real in the US, like boxing did, there's no stopping the UFC. Not only will they have the $$$ to bring fighters over (like they allready done with CroCop) but a new generation of fighters will come up because of watching UFC through the years (I'm pretty sure their interest in starting MMA didn't come from watching Fujita fight in Pride)
Z

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 04:30:12 PM »
its a weaker Pride card yes but atleast there are proven fighters in every match, it is still a hell of alot better than a UFC card. So UFC are finally closing in on them, the fact is that the gap between the 2 is far bigger than you are willing to acknowledge through your blind loyalty to the company so the only thing they can do is improve

If youre so bitchy towards Overeem then what is your thoughts on Eastman fighting on the card? He isnt exactly on fire right now is he? He lost to Jason Guida and his record is 13-15  ::) John Halverson too - who the hell is he? UFC are pulling in "talent" because theyre needing fresh faces, but theyre replacing shit with shit IMO. Theyre signing guys with average records from smaller shows and to be honest theyre not exactly up to standard
Scouser on Tour

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 04:38:28 PM »
its a weaker Pride card yes but atleast there are proven fighters in every match, it is still a hell of alot better than a UFC card. So UFC are finally closing in on them, the fact is that the gap between the 2 is far bigger than you are willing to acknowledge through your blind loyalty to the company so the only thing they can do is improve

If youre so bitchy towards Overeem then what is your thoughts on Eastman fighting on the card? He isnt exactly on fire right now is he? He lost to Jason Guida and his record is 13-15  ::) John Halverson too - who the hell is he? UFC are pulling in "talent" because theyre needing fresh faces, but theyre replacing shit with shit IMO. Theyre signing guys with average records from smaller shows and to be honest theyre not exactly up to standard

eh i thought we came to the conclusion that pride has a lot of losers fighting? if so, then only ONE guy would be a proven fighter in a fight, so how can that be a hell lot better than a ufc card?
if the ufc fighters are not up to standard then what do you call those pride fighters that doesnt even fit to fight in the ufc?  ::)
Z

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 05:06:41 PM »
every company has low level fighters, but what im saying is that in Pride, there are ALOT MORE world class fighters in EVERY division than UFC has. Take for instance the big 2 divisions:

Heavyweights:

Fedor, Hunt, Big Nog, Barnett, Kharitonov, Werdum, Igor etc

Of these, i would say Fedor, Big Nog, Barnett and possibly Igor would all take out Sylvia, Arlovski and Vera

LHW:

Arona, Wandy, Shogun, little Nog etc

The only LHW in UFC that would beat them is Chuck, Tito, Forrest etc would get smashed
Scouser on Tour

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 07:38:41 AM »
Well UFC is closing in on Pride - watch out!  :o
Z