Author Topic: the band Tool SUCKS!  (Read 11813 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
the band Tool SUCKS!
« on: February 01, 2007, 04:31:29 PM »
they are good musicians ill give them that, but their music sucks, it is uninspired and one-dimensional and all their songs sound the same. discuss

Deadpool

• Getbig V
Re: the band Tool SUCKS!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
only listened to prison sex, but I did like it
X

SL-Dubbs

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »
only listened to prison sex, but I did like it

fitting

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 04:42:16 PM »
they are good musicians ill give them that, but their music sucks, it is uninspired and one-dimensional and all their songs sound the same. discuss

They are nothing compared to teh greats.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »
yup

like watching OZ the series too
X

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »
music stopped being of any value when the musicians decided not to take any more drugs... that has been pr-oven by Bill Hicks long time ago

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
does Rammstein do drugs?
X

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 04:58:26 PM »

They are no Liquid Tension Experiment.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 05:06:20 PM »
does Rammstein do drugs?

Rammstein is only cool for you yanks cuz you have no idea what they sing about ... for a german like myself they are seriously uncool :/

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 05:07:35 PM »
you guys are idiots. Tool is a great band one of the best bands in the last 15 years. Great musicians great vocals and great songwriting. I dont understand how you can say that they suck. Listen to Aenima or the last CD 10,000 days every song on both of those cds are great

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 05:14:38 PM »
you guys are idiots. Tool is a great band one of the best bands in the last 15 years. Great musicians great vocals and great songwriting. I dont understand how you can say that they suck. Listen to Aenima or the last CD 10,000 days every song on both of those cds are great

No. They are boring.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »

do you also believe that Hitler did a good job killing a "bunch" of jews? Me eyes your avatar

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 05:24:04 PM »
do you also believe that Hitler did a good job killing a "bunch" of jews? Me eyes your avatar

Is the game Return to Castle Wolfenstein still not allowed in Germany? ;D
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 05:25:37 PM »
Is Return to Castle Wolfenstein still not allowed in Germany? ;D

LOL I was at that point already in Ireland but damn that was funny ;D

They had HL over there were you would shoot robots and people you shoot would leak green blood loooool... damn German Game Nazis ;D

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 05:40:53 PM »
That dude Maynard is fukkin WACKED. The music is pretty cool though, hardcore. I thought A Perfect Circle was better and a little more mainstream. I still listen have three A Perfect Circle songs on my mp3 rotation for the gym.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »
That dude Maynard is fukkin WACKED. The music is pretty cool though, hardcore. I thought A Perfect Circle was better and a little more mainstream. I still listen have three A Perfect Circle songs on my mp3 rotation for the gym.

Mainstream music is the curse for the fans and a blessing for the Bands   :o :o :o That shit rimes lol

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 05:51:16 PM »
Mainstream music is the curse for the fans and a blessing for the Bands   :o :o :o That shit rimes lol

That was dope, yo.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 05:58:47 PM »
That was dope, yo.

That is the second time that I suprised myself today lol, do you think that is a good or a bad omen?

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 06:26:50 PM »
I think TOOL are incredible musicians from a technial standpoint, but their songs aren't that great. They have some good ones, but overall they're weak.  If you want good songwriting, check out "my morning jacket" or "u2" or "radiohead"  or any other mainstream rock band that isn't all that technical, but rocks wayy harder than TOOL.

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 07:36:56 PM »
I think TOOL are incredible musicians from a technial standpoint, but their songs aren't that great. They have some good ones, but overall they're weak.  If you want good songwriting, check out "my morning jacket" or "u2" or "radiohead"  or any other mainstream rock band that isn't all that technical, but rocks wayy harder than TOOL.

radiohead?? please dont tell me you are serious. They are decent but not anything great. Way overrated. OK computer was one of the most overrated albums ever. I dont care what anyone says they are not that great. Tool is one of the most technical bands around. No one sounds like them. Listen to the drums and the guitar. I think alot of people have judged them recently because of their latest album. Check out some of the earlier cds. Opiate is great Aenima is great. And to say that u2 rocks harder than tool is a completly retarded statement. Tool is in a league of their own IMO, another band like that is NIN they are also in a league of their own. There is no one around now that is as good as them.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 07:59:10 PM »
radiohead?? please dont tell me you are serious. They are decent but not anything great. Way overrated. OK computer was one of the most overrated albums ever. I dont care what anyone says they are not that great. Tool is one of the most technical bands around. No one sounds like them. Listen to the drums and the guitar. I think alot of people have judged them recently because of their latest album. Check out some of the earlier cds. Opiate is great Aenima is great. And to say that u2 rocks harder than tool is a completly retarded statement. Tool is in a league of their own IMO, another band like that is NIN they are also in a league of their own. There is no one around now that is as good as them.

1: Tool = NOT one of the most technical bands around. Keep dreaming. They've got no remarkable technical skills compared to the real technical masters out there, but they can play their instruments, Debussey will give you that. They are not technical simply because their boring and depressive sound is kinda unique, what gave you that idea?

2: AEnima = boring. 46 and 2 is cool though. Some people might like Tools sound, but they are neither very technically proficient, nor is their music very innovative. They do not have a broad range of elements in their music either.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

scooter

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 08:05:25 PM »
I couldn't disagree more. This is the opinion most people hold about Tool due to their lack of knowledge on the subject of musical composition. Here's an time signature transcription/analysis their song Schism

The song starts in 5/4 for one measure followed by 21 measures of 6/4 (or 5/8 and 7/8 alternating), up to the first interlude, which is a bar of 3/8, three bars of 13/8, and a bar of 10/8. (This can be also interpreted as four 13/8 bars, but played with a 3/8 upbeat.) The next verse is eight bars all in 6/4 followed by another interlude that fits the same pattern as the first. This brings us to the "The poetry that comes..." section, which is four bars of 6/4 followed by one bar of 11/8. Another eight-bar verse in 6/4 follows, with an interlude containing the same as before, except this time the final 10/8 bar is replaced with an 11/8 bar setting up the middle section, which is four bars of 7/4 before settling into a pattern of alternating 12/8 and 15/8, one bar each, twelve times, containing the "Cold silence..." lyrics. At this point, at the end of the word "compassion", there are three bars of 4/4 (which nearly sounds foreign at this point), a bar of 2/4, and four bars of 4/4 setting up the "Between supposed lovers" section, which is two bars of 9/8 followed by a bar of 10/8, that pattern again, a single bar of 9/8 followed by a 13/8 bar. This leads to an alternating set of 9/8 and 5/8, appearing four times before a bar of 9/8 and a bar of 6/8. The ending "I know the pieces fit" lyrics bring back the 6/4 meter for eight bars, followed by eight bars of 4/4 to end the song.

Most bands use straight 4/4 with a mix of 3/4 thrown in here and there. One could argue that 6/8 is used a bit but it's almost always 4/4 with 8th note triplets being played (which can sometimes give the effect of a hemiola). And if you knew much about the process of recording that Tool uses then you would know that Jones and Chancellor compose the songs then Carey puts down the percussion followed by Keenan's lyrics. There are NO OTHER mainstream bands of any genre that compose songs as complex as Tool. Not that you have to like them because of that but to say that they are not technical is an assinine statement.

;) ;)

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 08:13:51 PM »
I couldn't disagree more. This is the opinion most people hold about Tool due to their lack of knowledge on the subject of musical composition. Here's an time signature transcription/analysis their song Schism

The song starts in 5/4 for one measure followed by 21 measures of 6/4 (or 5/8 and 7/8 alternating), up to the first interlude, which is a bar of 3/8, three bars of 13/8, and a bar of 10/8. (This can be also interpreted as four 13/8 bars, but played with a 3/8 upbeat.) The next verse is eight bars all in 6/4 followed by another interlude that fits the same pattern as the first. This brings us to the "The poetry that comes..." section, which is four bars of 6/4 followed by one bar of 11/8. Another eight-bar verse in 6/4 follows, with an interlude containing the same as before, except this time the final 10/8 bar is replaced with an 11/8 bar setting up the middle section, which is four bars of 7/4 before settling into a pattern of alternating 12/8 and 15/8, one bar each, twelve times, containing the "Cold silence..." lyrics. At this point, at the end of the word "compassion", there are three bars of 4/4 (which nearly sounds foreign at this point), a bar of 2/4, and four bars of 4/4 setting up the "Between supposed lovers" section, which is two bars of 9/8 followed by a bar of 10/8, that pattern again, a single bar of 9/8 followed by a 13/8 bar. This leads to an alternating set of 9/8 and 5/8, appearing four times before a bar of 9/8 and a bar of 6/8. The ending "I know the pieces fit" lyrics bring back the 6/4 meter for eight bars, followed by eight bars of 4/4 to end the song.

Most bands use straight 4/4 with a mix of 3/4 thrown in here and there. One could argue that 6/8 is used a bit but it's almost always 4/4 with 8th note triplets being played (which can sometimes give the effect of a hemiola). And if you knew much about the process of recording that Tool uses then you would know that Jones and Chancellor compose the songs then Carey puts down the percussion followed by Keenan's lyrics. There are NO OTHER mainstream bands of any genre that compose songs as complex as Tool. Not that you have to like them because of that but to say that they are not technical is an assinine statement.

;) ;)

1: Not playing 4/4 does not make them technically proficient. Thousands of bands play those kinds of time signatures.

2: No member of Tool can show any unique technical ability on their instrument, neither in speed or accuracy.

3: Most of their songs are boring minor based without any kind of melodically innovation. The guitarist play a few boring arpeggios here and there, with no strong sense of melody. Their songs are based on boring studio overdubbs.

If you base your technical argument on some stupid time signature analysis, you should know that technical proficiency also includes speed, accuracy and being able to use innovative melodical concepts. Most of Tools music are diatonic 3 chord stuff with some vocal layers here and there. Thus, you can not claim that Tool has any great knowledge of music composition. Theoretically, their music is not much more advanced than most stupid rockbands if we take the time signature element out of the equation.

Most 16 year olds can play most of Tools music.

In other words, if you are going to argument for Tools music, you better learn more music theory than being able to tell what time signatures a Tool song is based on.

The drummer and bass player knows their shit, but they are nothing spectacular, nor are Tools songwriting. If you like them, fine, but they are nothing spectacular in a technical sense.

EDIT: In the mainstream arena, they might be a bit advanced. In the real world of music, they are nothing.

:)
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »
yes tool is a great example of todays lousy music

E
E

Thunderfck1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 09:20:59 PM »
If you think they are terrible musicians just listen to the drums on 46 and 2. Danny Carey is probably the best drummer of any current bands.