Author Topic: Snack O'Neal  (Read 70480 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Snack O'Neal
« on: February 01, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »
I heard someone call Shaq "Snack."  Funniest nickname I've heard in some time.   :)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: Snack O'Neal
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 02:04:48 PM »
I heard someone call Shaq "Snack."  Funniest nickname I've heard in some time.   :)

He had some kind words ofr Kobe, printed today in the LA Times.  It's hard to figure him out.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:07:14 AM »
He had some kind words ofr Kobe, printed today in the LA Times.  It's hard to figure him out.

I got him figured out pretty good.  His ego is as large as his big butt and as fragile as his durability.  He doesn't like to work hard in the offseason, he shows up overweight just about every training camp, he doesn't rebound or play particularly good defense.  And the Miami Heat won the title in spite of, not because of, Snack O'Neal.  He's not even the best center on his team at this point.  How the heck was named a starter in this year's All Star game?   ??? 

Now, he was the most dominant big man of the 90s and early 2000s, but he's done IMO. 

Can you tell I'm a Lakers fan?   :)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:34:42 PM »
I got him figured out pretty good.  His ego is as large as his big butt and as fragile as his durability.  He doesn't like to work hard in the offseason, he shows up overweight just about every training camp, he doesn't rebound or play particularly good defense.  And the Miami Heat won the title in spite of, not because of, Snack O'Neal.  He's not even the best center on his team at this point.  How the heck was named a starter in this year's All Star game?   ??? 

Now, he was the most dominant big man of the 90s and early 2000s, but he's done IMO. 

I'm still torn.  The Lakers would not have won three titles without him, despite Kobe's magnificance.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 04:54:47 PM »

despite Kobe's magnificance.

Never was magnificance, he was a ball hog, a very good ball hog at that. More hype than anything else. And can't do jack without a big maneither feeding him the ball or creating holes and plays. Just like Penny Hardaway.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 09:39:57 AM »

I stiil think Shaq is the best if he gets motivated.
The House that Ruth built

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 09:41:34 AM »

I'm still torn.  The Lakers would not have won three titles without him, despite Kobe's magnificance.

Not me.  They wouldn't have won three titles without Shaq, Kobe, and Phil.  Remember Phil took basically the same team they had the year before his arrival and won the title.  And it was Kobe who often carried the team in the fourth quarter, particularly when fouls were an issue, because Snack can't make free throws.  

Nobody can touch Kobe's game IMO.  He does it on both ends of the floor.  Just a phenomenal player.  I hope the Lakers put the right pieces together before it's too late.  I think we are one player (a solid 4) away.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 09:43:31 AM »
I stiil think Shaq is the best if he gets motivated.

Well, he gets motivated about every third or fourth game, in between his extended absences due to injury.   :)  He is well past his prime.  Just look at his stats on any given game.  Last night he had as many fouls as he did rebounds.  He can dominate a quarter when he feels like it, but that's about it. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 12:03:13 PM »
Well, he gets motivated about every third or fourth game, in between his extended absences due to injury.   :)  He is well past his prime.  Just look at his stats on any given game.  Last night he had as many fouls as he did rebounds.  He can dominate a quarter when he feels like it, but that's about it. 

I do think Shaq is more into his law enforcement career than basketball now. You have to give him credit for all the good things he does off the court. He rented like 200 apartments for Katrina victims with his own dime. He is always making public appearances at no charge for charities. He actually gives his time and money to less fortunate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 12:09:45 PM »
I do think Shaq is more into his law enforcement career than basketball now. You have to give him credit for all the good things he does off the court. He rented like 200 apartments for Katrina victims with his own dime. He is always making public appearances at no charge for charities. He actually gives his time and money to less fortunate.

True.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 07:34:15 AM »
So Snack has his "best" game of the year last night (according to ESPN):  22 points.  But he had more fouls (4) than rebounds (2). 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 08:28:22 AM »
Not to be a negative prick but O'neal is worthless pile of shit these days. He has no dedication to staying in shape in the off season. For the last 5 seasons He's been trying to play his way into shape every season so that he's ready by playoff time.

Yeah, I know he had a knee surgery. But did it occur to anyone that he wouldn't have all these knee and calf injuries if he would stay in decent shape year round to ease the load on his back and knees? I mean he weighs 340lbs and it's not fun to carry around that kind of weight as you get older. He's 35 years old and a shell of his former self. He really is in jeapordy of killing the dominant legacy of his prime with his current level of laziness and unwillingness to commit himself every season to staying in shape.

He doesn't work hard, plain and simple and he's lost a lot of respect by his peers.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 09:20:44 AM »
Not to be a negative prick but O'neal is worthless pile of shit these days. He has no dedication to staying in shape in the off season. For the last 5 seasons He's been trying to play his way into shape every season so that he's ready by playoff time.

Yeah, I know he had a knee surgery. But did it occur to anyone that he wouldn't have all these knee and calf injuries if he would stay in decent shape year round to ease the load on his back and knees? I mean he weighs 340lbs and it's not fun to carry around that kind of weight as you get older. He's 35 years old and a shell of his former self. He really is in jeapordy of killing the dominant legacy of his prime with his current level of laziness and unwillingness to commit himself every season to staying in shape.

He doesn't work hard, plain and simple and he's lost a lot of respect by his peers.

I agree.  Remember several years ago with the Lakers he waited until right before the start of the season to have surgery that he knew was required at prior season's end?  His response:  I got injured on company time, so I'll rehab on company time. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 09:42:17 AM »
Oh yeah! I remember that!

That just further strengthens my argument.

What a douchebag!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 11:37:13 PM »
Snack's line today:  14 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 5 fouls.  Total domination!   :)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 12:41:51 PM »
Snack's line today:  14 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 5 fouls.  Total domination!   :)

If he played at least 28 minutes and racked up those numbers, then the writings on the wall for the big fella to consider hanging it up after this season.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 07:34:57 PM »
If he played at least 28 minutes and racked up those numbers, then the writings on the wall for the big fella to consider hanging it up after this season.

He played exactly 28 minutes.  And most of his numbers are misleading, because they come in spurts, usually early, before he runs out of gas. 

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 11:48:51 AM »
Didn't someone do a version of Jay-Z's "99 Problems" about Shaq?

It was called "99 Free Throws and You Can't Hit 1"

I've just tried to find it but can't.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 04:03:52 PM »
Didn't someone do a version of Jay-Z's "99 Problems" about Shaq?

It was called "99 Free Throws and You Can't Hit 1"

I've just tried to find it but can't.

Imagine the numbers Shaq could have racked up if he could even hit 70% from the line?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 06:27:33 PM »
Imagine the numbers Shaq could have racked up if he could even hit 70% from the line?

And how many games have his teams lost because he didn't hit free throws?  The sports media is afraid to touch this guy. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 05:26:26 AM »
And how many games have his teams lost because he didn't hit free throws?  The sports media is afraid to touch this guy. 

Rick Barry offered to teach Shaq the underhanded method and said he could get Shaq up to 75%.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 07:28:55 AM »
Rick Barry offered to teach Shaq the underhanded method and said he could get Shaq up to 75%.

But Snack said "no."  To his credit, he hired that free throw guru guy several years ago, for one season, who raised Snack's FT percentage to a career high (around 60 percent?).  But Snack doesn't respect the game enough to work on his free throws. 

I remember Magic coming into the league without an outside shot.  Spent hours in the gym and became a good shooter.  That's what great players who respect the game do.  Not Snack.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 07:26:49 AM »
Snack's line last night in 24 minutes:  6 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 blocks (shocking), 3 fouls.  And this man is an all star starter? 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 08:20:13 AM »
Snack's line last night in 24 minutes:  6 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 blocks (shocking), 3 fouls.  And this man is an all star starter? 

Your analysis of his consistently eroding skills is right on the mark.  Unfortunately, the problem we face as Lakers fans in criticizing him is that we sound like jilted ex-lovers, not much different than when he talks about the Lakers being a horrible organization, etc.  As such, I generally leave it for others to observe his failings.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 10:08:27 AM »
Your analysis of his consistently eroding skills is right on the mark.  Unfortunately, the problem we face as Lakers fans in criticizing him is that we sound like jilted ex-lovers, not much different than when he talks about the Lakers being a horrible organization, etc.  As such, I generally leave it for others to observe his failings.

I'll continue to do it.  No shame in my game.   :)  He's done and I'll keep saying it.  And I've been a Lakers fan since the days of Jamal Wilkes, Norm Nixon, and Bob McAdoo.   :)

Tough loss last night.   :'(