Author Topic: Snack O'Neal  (Read 70366 times)

bodybusiness

• Getbig II
Re: Snack O'Neal
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2007, 05:22:21 PM »
You aren't actually comparing Ostertag or Motumbo to Shaq are you? Ostertag is a stiff and Motumbo could block shots and thats about it.

in terms of positions they played and the hopes expected from them

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2007, 10:50:17 AM »
And here I thought I was done bashing Snack.   :D

Shaq, anyone?

Yes, Shaquille O'Neal is the 800-pound elephant in the room. No one really wants to talk about it, but the Heat's main issue is the decline of O'Neal with three years left on his contract at $20 million per season.

Heat coach Pat Riley in his post-series comments said he was to blame for what he called the "pervasive" attitude of the veterans that the team could turn it on at any time. Hmm, wonder whom he meant. Riley said it would have been "a mockery" if the Heat had defeated the Bulls.

"It would have sent the wrong message. We didn't do anything the right way this year," Riley said. Then he added: "If he wants to give back $10 million and play half the season, fine." Wonder again whom he meant.

Miami insiders said not only was O'Neal indifferent to the regular season, as usual, and this time had knee surgery, but he'd even go so far as to tell teammates not to bother with defense, apparently to not make his own indifference look bad. The Heat's options seem limited with a huge payroll, and O'Neal remains a popular figure fans pay to see. But they don't pay to see Miami lose like it did

Have they had enough?

Despite O'Neal's presence and reputation, he'll turn 36 next season. Frankly, it's difficult to see many teams that would even take a chance on him.

And then there is Dallas, which is where Shaq wanted to go when he was breaking up with the Lakers.

In losing to the Warriors in the first round, it seemed clear what the Mavericks and Dirk Nowitzki most needed was someone to take the pressure off. Could Shaq be that guy?

Mavs owner Mark Cuban said they are not panicking or breaking up the team, but time will tell. Miami needs a major overhaul. Would Dallas panic and take a last shot with Shaq? Maybe for Erick Dampier, Devin Harris and a sign-and-trade with Jerry Stackhouse to give the Heat some life again? It does seem farfetched. But it has been a half-century since both finalists from the previous year went out in the first round. And it didn't look like either could win.

Nowitzki's fold against the Warriors brought to mind David Robinson in 1995. He was the MVP that season and accepted his award as he was being dominated in the conference finals by Hakeem Olajuwon. The Spurs began to fade after that with Robinson a year older than Nowitzki is now. The label of being soft and unable to come up big and finish began to stick to Robinson until Duncan came along and Robinson settled into an ancillary role and got two championships. You figure Nowitzki needs someone like that. Shaq?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070506smithinside,1,4008387.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2007, 11:14:57 AM »
Shaq to the Mavericks? Unlikely. He should retire now. He's a shell of his former self and he blatantly was non committed to staying in shape during the off season. What O'Neal fails to understand is that the league gets younger every year while he gets older. Blowing up to 375 pounds in the off season and trying to play your way into shape and getting 20 million is downright sickening. Not too mention harder to do as you creep into your 30's.

And is that what you call a title defense this year?

Pathetic.............

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2007, 08:38:58 AM »
Translation:  he has no trade value.   :)

Riley says Shaq isn't going anywherePosted: Wednesday May 9, 2007 5:52PM; Updated: Wednesday May 9, 2007 5:57PM

MIAMI (AP) -- Coach Pat Riley issued a one-sentence statement Wednesday regarding the future of the Miami Heat: Shaquille O'Neal will be a part of it.

"Amongst growing speculation in the media, in reference to Shaq, I want to set the record straight and say that we are not trading Shaq," Riley said.

Putting O'Neal on the market became a rumor topic after the Chicago Bulls swept the defending NBA champion Heat in the first round of the playoffs. At age 35, O'Neal failed to reach the second round for the first time since 1994.

O'Neal sat out 42 games this season, mostly because of knee surgery, and averaged a career-low 17.3 points. He made the All-Star game for the 14th consecutive season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/05/09/shaq.heat.ap/index.html

Ari_gold

• Getbig II
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2007, 08:09:53 PM »
Shaq/snaq wont retire cause he has $60M coming his way, if he leaves on his own he forfeits it, he is lazy, no defense, no rebounds, looks real slow, next season he will get killed, and if he gets dunked on by Oden riley should just sack him..Im  Snaq fan but he takes way to many games off during the season, due to his weight problem...
Greed and disgust

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »
 :'(

Shaquille O'Neal files for divorce

Former Laker center is asking his wife to provide a "correct accounting of all money, funds, stocks, bonds, and other securities" that she had access to or obtained during the marriage.
From the Associated Press
September 5, 2007
MIAMI -- Shaquille O'Neal has filed to divorce his wife after nearly five years of marriage, his attorney said Tuesday night.

Attorney Ira Elegant said the petition was filed on behalf of the Miami Heat center in Miami-Dade Circuit Court on Tuesday. It was not immediately clear who is representing Shaunie O'Neal in the case.

The Heat did not have an immediate comment, and Shaquille O'Neal did not respond to a request for comment made through the team.

According to the filing, which was first reported by The Miami Herald on its Web site Tuesday night, Shaquille O'Neal is asking Shaunie O'Neal to provide a "correct accounting of all money, funds, stocks, bonds, and other securities" that she had access to or obtained during the marriage.

They are the parents of six children; Shaquille and Shaunie O'Neal had four together, and each had one other before their Dec. 26, 2002, wedding.

Shaquille O'Neal makes $20 million annually in his contract with the Heat, plus endorsement deals that are estimated to be worth several million more each year. The couple has also listed their home on Miami Beach's posh Star Island for about $32 million, or roughly $13 million more than they paid for it after O'Neal was traded to the Heat by the Los Angeles Lakers before the 2004-05 season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-shaq5sep05,1,7408195.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »
I've been asleep at the wheel.  Snack has played four games already this season (and lost all four).  He has been awful in all four games, but here is his line from tonight against the Spurs:

17 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 blocks in 31 minutes.  Mourning had 4 rebounds in only 15 minutes. 

The Diesel is now a Yugo.  He might be the most overpaid player in the NBA. 

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2007, 07:56:24 AM »
Snack should have been on the one doing those sit-ups and running on a treadmill instead of those kids.
D

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2007, 08:00:32 AM »
I've been asleep at the wheel.  Snack has played four games already this season (and lost all four).  He has been awful in all four games, but here is his line from tonight against the Spurs:

17 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 blocks in 31 minutes.  Mourning had 4 rebounds in only 15 minutes. 

The Diesel is now a Yugo.  He might be the most overpaid player in the NBA. 

Rumor (Collin Cowherd, ESPN) is he's hanging it up after this season even though it means walking away from the money.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2007, 09:57:05 AM »
Rumor (Collin Cowherd, ESPN) is he's hanging it up after this season even though it means walking away from the money.

It's floating around:

NBA Rumors 
End of the line for Shaq?
Tuesday, Nov 6, 2007 6:47 am EST

Chicago Tribune columnist Sam Smith says that Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal "is done. I wouldn't be surprised if he sought a buyout after this season, his 16th.

"O'Neal didn't reach double figures in any category in his first two games, shooting 40 percent from the field and 14 percent on free throws, and scouts have commented on his lack of mobility.

Good big men can move and beat double-teams. O'Neal doesn't seem able to do that anymore.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/End-of-the-line-for-Shaq-;_ylt=Ai_MXVJMYWKhtfXeyFUUsgqC0bYF?urn=nba,52567

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2007, 09:43:19 PM »
This is one of the best threads on the sports board. ;D

Bubba hanging up the sneakers?

What a surprise! :o   
As empty as paradise

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2007, 09:46:41 PM »
What's sad is that he is still better than most centers in the league.

Yao is the best by far.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2007, 10:37:12 PM »
It's floating around:

NBA Rumors 
End of the line for Shaq?
Tuesday, Nov 6, 2007 6:47 am EST

Chicago Tribune columnist Sam Smith says that Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal "is done. I wouldn't be surprised if he sought a buyout after this season, his 16th.

"O'Neal didn't reach double figures in any category in his first two games, shooting 40 percent from the field and 14 percent on free throws, and scouts have commented on his lack of mobility.

Good big men can move and beat double-teams. O'Neal doesn't seem able to do that anymore.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/End-of-the-line-for-Shaq-;_ylt=Ai_MXVJMYWKhtfXeyFUUsgqC0bYF?urn=nba,52567
If you were going thru  a divorce you wouldn't be moving to well yourselves..epecially when millions of dollars and kids are involved.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2007, 10:57:58 AM »
If you were going thru  a divorce you wouldn't be moving to well yourselves..epecially when millions of dollars and kids are involved.

Parker I'm not trying to make light of his divorce, but he was playing like crap before he and his wife split. 

And speaking of playing like crap . . .  :)  Last night's Snack stat line against the winless Sonics:

10 points, 3 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 3 turnovers, and 4 fouls in 16 minutes.  More fouls than rebounds.  The downward spiral continues. 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2007, 06:48:35 AM »
Parker I'm not trying to make light of his divorce, but he was playing like crap before he and his wife split. 

And speaking of playing like crap . . .  :)  Last night's Snack stat line against the winless Sonics:

10 points, 3 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks, 3 turnovers, and 4 fouls in 16 minutes.  More fouls than rebounds.  The downward spiral continues. 

Based on the stat line, Shaq morphed into Kwame Brown!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2007, 04:24:46 PM »
Based on the stat line, Shaq morphed into Kwame Brown!

Kwame is actually playing better than Shaq.   :o  Or at least he was before he got hurt last night.  He was playing better D and rebounding better. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2007, 04:26:08 PM »
Snack is wearing out his welcome in Miami.

Riley takes the gloves off
Coach gets tough with his aging, rebelious team
November 19, 2007

LOS ANGELES -- Last week, an old friend of Pat Riley's was joking about an over/under for how long Riley would coach the Miami Heat.

"Gone by Christmas," the longtime colleague said with a laugh.

It seemed mostly in fun, but there's little joking in Miami. Last week Riley, who has an artificial hip, said he could play better than his team (players love this). Then Riley talked of a massive shakeup that sounded like he'd bench Shaquille O'Neal.

"People who don't think they should ever be benched might have to come off the bench for a while just to turn this whole thing around," Riley told Miami reporters.

Perhaps Riley meant Ricky Davis, too, though he's been benched before. Wondered one old Riley confidant: "He had him before. How could he not know?"

Courtside scouts following the Heat have been saying they see Davis waving off Riley and telling other players he isn't going to run that stuff.

"I don't see a team that really feels like they have anything at stake here," Riley said. "They come in, they play, they get beat, they go home. They go out into the night. I'll take responsibility for it because I put it together. I'm not shirking any responsibility."

The larger shock has been the way Riley is treating O'Neal, whose play has been limited. Riley benched O'Neal less than a minute into Saturday's game with the Nets—a rare gesture, especially for Riley, who has long protected O'Neal. He apparently didn't like how O'Neal played a new pick-and-roll defense.

This came after Dwyane Wade, back from surgery and rounding into form, talked openly of O'Neal needing to be more motivated.

They laughed about it out in L.A., as that's what Kobe Bryant used to say, making O'Neal so upset, though Bryant did so anonymously.

O'Neal took the criticism from Wade in good spirits, though he was more cryptic after the Saturday benching, an astonishing embarrassment to a future Hall of Fame player. O'Neal told local media, "I'm doing it my way from now on."

O'Neal said he has knee and quadriceps problems. Riley responded he didn't see any reason for O'Neal to rest.

"Cortisone treatment, I think, is part of a player's season," Riley said. "Anytime he feels a little aggravation there, he will probably get a shot."

It seems Riley could be on the verge of losing the team, though it could be a test of wills as Riley finally may have decided to stop catering to his aging team. He is known for long, hard practices and a power game, more ferocity over finesse. He hasn't been able to coach this creaky team that way.

Intimates say Wade has been none too happy with the direction of the team, and the belief is Riley is trying desperately to assuage Wade's concerns, with Wade in the first season of his short extension. He can leave as a free agent after the 2009-10 season.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-071118smith,1,4737284.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

body88

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
Snack is wearing out his welcome in Miami.

Riley takes the gloves off
Coach gets tough with his aging, rebelious team
November 19, 2007

LOS ANGELES -- Last week, an old friend of Pat Riley's was joking about an over/under for how long Riley would coach the Miami Heat.

"Gone by Christmas," the longtime colleague said with a laugh.

It seemed mostly in fun, but there's little joking in Miami. Last week Riley, who has an artificial hip, said he could play better than his team (players love this). Then Riley talked of a massive shakeup that sounded like he'd bench Shaquille O'Neal.

"People who don't think they should ever be benched might have to come off the bench for a while just to turn this whole thing around," Riley told Miami reporters.

Perhaps Riley meant Ricky Davis, too, though he's been benched before. Wondered one old Riley confidant: "He had him before. How could he not know?"

Courtside scouts following the Heat have been saying they see Davis waving off Riley and telling other players he isn't going to run that stuff.

"I don't see a team that really feels like they have anything at stake here," Riley said. "They come in, they play, they get beat, they go home. They go out into the night. I'll take responsibility for it because I put it together. I'm not shirking any responsibility."

The larger shock has been the way Riley is treating O'Neal, whose play has been limited. Riley benched O'Neal less than a minute into Saturday's game with the Nets—a rare gesture, especially for Riley, who has long protected O'Neal. He apparently didn't like how O'Neal played a new pick-and-roll defense.

This came after Dwyane Wade, back from surgery and rounding into form, talked openly of O'Neal needing to be more motivated.

They laughed about it out in L.A., as that's what Kobe Bryant used to say, making O'Neal so upset, though Bryant did so anonymously.

O'Neal took the criticism from Wade in good spirits, though he was more cryptic after the Saturday benching, an astonishing embarrassment to a future Hall of Fame player. O'Neal told local media, "I'm doing it my way from now on."

O'Neal said he has knee and quadriceps problems. Riley responded he didn't see any reason for O'Neal to rest.

"Cortisone treatment, I think, is part of a player's season," Riley said. "Anytime he feels a little aggravation there, he will probably get a shot."

It seems Riley could be on the verge of losing the team, though it could be a test of wills as Riley finally may have decided to stop catering to his aging team. He is known for long, hard practices and a power game, more ferocity over finesse. He hasn't been able to coach this creaky team that way.

Intimates say Wade has been none too happy with the direction of the team, and the belief is Riley is trying desperately to assuage Wade's concerns, with Wade in the first season of his short extension. He can leave as a free agent after the 2009-10 season.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-071118smith,1,4737284.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Riley and D wade lay down the law.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2007, 12:17:22 AM »
Just an update on arguably the most overpaid athlete in pro sports.  Snack's line from the last two games:

Tonight against Utah and the mighty Mehmet Okur at center:
12 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 steals, 2 blocks, and 5 fouls.  As many fouls as rebounds.

Last nigt against Denver:
6 points, 8 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, and 3 fouls. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2007, 01:46:55 AM »
Just an update on arguably the most overpaid athlete in pro sports.  Snack's line from the last two games:

Tonight against Utah and the mighty Mehmet Okur at center:
12 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 steals, 2 blocks, and 5 fouls.  As many fouls as rebounds.

Last nigt against Denver:
6 points, 8 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, and 3 fouls. 
Yeah shaq's done, he should retire...now..

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2007, 01:01:11 PM »
oh shaq still suffering, just buy this maggot out already

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
My tribute
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2007, 01:08:04 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2007, 11:57:25 PM »
This is starting to lose its luster, because it's just too easy, but here are the Snack stat lines from the last two games:

Tonight's loss to Golden State:
13 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 0 blocks, 2 fouls

Last night's loss to Portland:
8 points, 10 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 steal, 0 blocks, 5 fouls

Anyone think he will quit before season's end?  I think he will conveniently suffer a season ending injury. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2007, 12:17:10 AM »
This is starting to lose its luster, because it's just too easy, but here are the Snack stat lines from the last two games:

Tonight's loss to Golden State:
13 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 0 blocks, 2 fouls

Last night's loss to Portland:
8 points, 10 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 steal, 0 blocks, 5 fouls

Anyone think he will quit before season's end?  I think he will conveniently suffer a season ending injury. 
he will play out this year then retire ( or get forced out) he aint contributing anything.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2007, 01:57:36 AM »
he will play out this year then retire ( or get forced out) he aint contributing anything.

Yep.  Total dead weight.  I can't believe they are paying him $20 mil for this kind of production.