Author Topic: New Jersey City Pays Dead Man $130,000 a Year  (Read 1632 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
New Jersey City Pays Dead Man $130,000 a Year
« on: February 02, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »
 :o

Friday, February 02, 2007

CAMDEN, N.J.  —  Talk about lying down on the job!

A recent audit of cash-strapped Camden, N.J. school district's finances found it was paying an employee $130,000 annually — and he's been dead for more than three decades.

City officials were shocked by the discovery.

The independent audit of Camden schools found fiscal mismanagement and lax controls for payroll, purchasing, and accounts payable, reported WPVI-TV in Philadelphia.

Camden has been plagued with scandal and is known as the nation's poorest city.

The audit also found outside vendors have been overpaid more than $17 million. In one case the district forked over $953,000 for copy equipment even though the purchase order was for only $55,000.

"It's just totally unbelievable and absolutely incredible that we can have such a dysfunctional system in place," said school board president Philip Freeman.

Residents are angered by the fiscal mismanagement.

"I think this is pretty clear evidence that we've got to be more aggressive with our following and ensuring changes actually do take place," said New Jersey Education Commissioner Lucille Davy.

Camden officials have 45 days to put a corrective action into place.

Davy also told WPVI-TV that she is hiring a retired state police investigator to keep a close watch on the finances.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250020,00.html

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: New Jersey City Pays Dead Man $130,000 a Year
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 03:58:16 PM »
Is the IRS going to go after this dead man?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 04:02:51 PM »
I think the IRS and the FBI are probably going to go after the person who received the dead man's salary. 

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 04:07:39 PM »
:o

Friday, February 02, 2007

CAMDEN, N.J.  —  Talk about lying down on the job!

A recent audit of cash-strapped Camden, N.J. school district's finances found it was paying an employee $130,000 annually — and he's been dead for more than three decades.

City officials were shocked by the discovery.

The independent audit of Camden schools found fiscal mismanagement and lax controls for payroll, purchasing, and accounts payable, reported WPVI-TV in Philadelphia.

Camden has been plagued with scandal and is known as the nation's poorest city.

The audit also found outside vendors have been overpaid more than $17 million. In one case the district forked over $953,000 for copy equipment even though the purchase order was for only $55,000.

"It's just totally unbelievable and absolutely incredible that we can have such a dysfunctional system in place," said school board president Philip Freeman.

Residents are angered by the fiscal mismanagement.

"I think this is pretty clear evidence that we've got to be more aggressive with our following and ensuring changes actually do take place," said New Jersey Education Commissioner Lucille Davy.

Camden officials have 45 days to put a corrective action into place.

Davy also told WPVI-TV that she is hiring a retired state police investigator to keep a close watch on the finances.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250020,00.html
Camden is a shit hole with, shall we say less than desirable people.  Doesn't surprise me.
Squishy face retard

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »
This is WHY YOU CHECK ON YOUR BOOKEEPERS.  >:(

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 06:54:04 AM »
I think the IRS and the FBI are probably going to go after the person who received the dead man's salary. 

They can't really do much is they've been paying the taxes on it, and they can hardly charge fraud if it's a widow who assumed it was a pension or survivors benefit. plus with $130K a year for over 30 yrs... chances are they've turned that into quite a tidy little sum by now... at least they should have.  :P
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 10:43:16 AM »
They can't really do much is they've been paying the taxes on it, and they can hardly charge fraud if it's a widow who assumed it was a pension or survivors benefit. plus with $130K a year for over 30 yrs... chances are they've turned that into quite a tidy little sum by now... at least they should have.  :P

I doubt someone who is stealing money pays taxes on that money.  They probably would have gotten caught much sooner, unless they forged the dead man's signature on tax returns. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 05:35:45 AM »
I doubt someone who is stealing money pays taxes on that money.  They probably would have gotten caught much sooner, unless they forged the dead man's signature on tax returns. 

Was someone actually stealing the money, ...or was it bureaucratic incompetence that failed to stop payments?
w

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 07:42:41 AM »
Was someone actually stealing the money, ...or was it bureaucratic incompetence that failed to stop payments?
This is funny considering how out of whack the NJ baudget was this past summer.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 10:03:25 AM »

?  You're asking if someone who receives a check from an "employer" that is addressed to someone else and converts the money to their own use is stealing the money?