Author Topic: Should the bears give Jeff Garcia a call?  (Read 26331 times)

body88

Should the bears give Jeff Garcia a call?
« on: February 05, 2007, 12:09:02 PM »
?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Should the bears give Jeff Garcia a call?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »
I'd say the QB competition will be wide open during the start of the '07 Bears training camp between Grossman and Greise.

Besides, Garcia is making it very clear that he wants to stay in Philly. Ultimately, it won't be his choice if the Eagles don't wish to re sign him.

Fuck it. Wouldn't be a bad idea for the Bears to call him.

body88

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 01:00:25 PM »
I'd say the QB competition will be wide open during the start of the '07 Bears training camp between Grossman and Greise.

Besides, Garcia is making it very clear that he wants to stay in Philly. Ultimately, it won't be his choice if the Eagles don't wish to re sign him.

f**k it. Wouldn't be a bad idea for the Bears to call him.

I would talk to him if I was the bears. People make things "clear" all the time in the nfl! Just ask Nick Saban! If Garcia had the chance to go to the bears, and passed it up, he would be a fool. Not saying he will have that chance, since the bears have so much invested in Greise. Not to mention, Lovies man love for Rexie. Just a thought brahhhhhhhhhhhh  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:05:28 PM »
They should draft a QB and start Griese.  Grossman is a QB2. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:49:02 PM »
I think Garcia's days as a starter are all but done. He turns 37 next month. But then again, Brad johnson started for the Vikings at age 38 this past season. Didn't do the team much good though.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 01:50:53 PM »
Garcia is a great leader and i always loved the way he played. but he needs a westcoast offense for him to be productive. in the westcoast scheme he can thrive and be a pro-bowl caliber player. he is such a fierce competitor if you watch him play. he is also a rythym quarterback, he needs to throw the ball consistantly to stay in a groove. i think in Chicago he would have a difficult time. however in the right system he is as deadly a QB as there is in the league.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 01:54:16 PM »
I think Garcia's days as a starter are all but done. He turns 37 next month. But then again, Brad johnson started for the Vikings at age 38 this past season. Didn't do the team much good though.

so you think his play has dropped off that much in the past month?

i hope Chicago knows Rex lost the game for them. those two interceptions were as bad as i have seen.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 02:07:08 PM »
A ham sandwich is a better choice than Grossman. Garcia could work for the short term if he'd be open to leaving the Eagles but the Bears need a long term solution. How's this year's draft looking for quarterbacks?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 02:09:26 PM »

so you think his play has dropped off that much in the past month?

i hope Chicago knows Rex lost the game for them. those two interceptions were as bad as i have seen.

He's looked great in the past month. But as a team owner you really need to ask yourself is it worth investing in a guy at that age to compete as your starter? Maybe he'd do great as a one year starter for the Bears, who knows?

Grossman looked absolutely terrible. That under thrown ball that was picked off with his receiver several steps on the defender in the third quarter was laughable. He's a fringe starter at best. Better as a no. 2 QB. I think Griese will make a strong statement in training camp to start next year. Lovie Smith LOVES Rex for some reason.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 02:10:46 PM »
A ham sandwich is a better choice than Grossman. Garcia could work for the short term if he'd be open to leaving the Eagles but the Bears need a long term solution. How's this year's draft looking for quarterbacks?

This year's QB draft class is the best it's been in several years. Probably the strongest position in the upcoming draft next to wide receivers.

body88

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 02:12:09 PM »
He's looked great in the past month. But as a team owner you really need to ask yourself is it worth investing in a guy at that age to compete as your starter? Maybe he'd do great as a one year starter for the Bears, who knows?

Grossman looked absolutely terrible. That under thrown ball that was picked off with his receiver several steps on the defender in the third quarter was laughable. He's a fringe starter at best. Better as a no. 2 QB. I think Griese will make a strong statement in training camp to start next year. Lovie Smith LOVES Rex for some reason.

Trying to show leadership/loyalty, which is comendable. But, his loyalty is the downfall of his team. Grossman destroyed any chance the bears had to win that game.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 02:12:52 PM »
You have to wonder about coaches who go to the trouble of putting together a very good team but neglect the QB position! Every generation of NFL teams has a few like this, good teams whose fortunes are squandered.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 02:15:38 PM »
The Ravens are a good example! :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 02:18:39 PM »
The Ravens are a good example! :-\

Tell me about it.  How long did they start Kyle Boller?  They wasted a great defense and the best years of Jamal Lewis. 

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 02:31:32 PM »
This year's QB draft class is the best it's been in several years. Probably the strongest position in the upcoming draft next to wide receivers.

Now the question is will any of them be around at the end of the first round? I've heard about Quinn from Notre Dame and you know he's going early but who's going to be there at number 29 or whatever the Bears pick at?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 02:34:19 PM »
I think the Raiders should pick him up... Aaron Brooks is horrible, and the Raiders can run a good West Coast Offense... Gannon did it, and I think it would be great for the Garc... He was excellent down the stretch and was a primary reason the Eagles made the playoffs and won that division.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »
Now the question is will any of them be around at the end of the first round? I've heard about Quinn from Notre Dame and you know he's going early but who's going to be there at number 29 or whatever the Bears pick at?

it has been proven that the majority of the good/great/most producive QB's have been taken in the later rounds. Quinn will go early and so will the LSU QB but the more productive QB will be drafted in the later rounds according to historical evidence. its up to the GM, coaches, and talent evaluators to figure out who that guy is.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »
Philly would be in a great position, able to trade one of their QBs to Chicago for serious draft picks. Either one would make Chicago much much better and hard to beat.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 02:49:42 PM »
  it has been proven that the majority of the good/great/most producive QB's have been taken in the later rounds. Quinn will go early and so will the LSU QB but the more productive QB will be drafted in the later rounds according to historical evidence. its up to the GM, coaches, and talent evaluators to figure out who that guy is.

Well, that's true most of the time... There has only been one number 1 draft pick to ever win a superbowl... That's Troy Aikmen... The rest were later round guys.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 02:49:43 PM »
I think the Raiders should pick him up... Aaron Brooks is horrible, and the Raiders can run a good West Coast Offense... Gannon did it, and I think it would be great for the Garc... He was excellent down the stretch and was a primary reason the Eagles made the playoffs and won that division.

The Raiders WR's are much different now than when Gannon ran their offense.  I can't see ole Moss giving it up across the middle too often.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 02:51:35 PM »

the Raiders could run a good west coast offense when Gruden and Gannon was there, but that was a while ago. they dont have the same players or assistants. they need to get rid of Moss. His attitude is part of the problem. i doubt he will make another worthy Pro Bowl, although i hear Moss may br traded to Green Bay.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 02:54:37 PM »
  the Raiders could run a good west coast offense when Gruden and Gannon was there, but that was a while ago. they dont have the same players or assistants. they need to get rid of Moss. His attitude is part of the problem. i doubt he will make another worthy Pro Bowl, although i hear Moss may br traded to Green Bay.

I agree... Moss has turned worthless... They need a new offensive coordinator.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »
Tell me about it.  How long did they start Kyle Boller?  They wasted a great defense and the best years of Jamal Lewis. 

While they were grooming Boller, the cornerstones of that team went through their peak years. Terrible waste. The jury's still out on Boller, who I believe still has starter potential. Mcnair will be at the helm just one more year but Boller will be gone by '08 as a free agent unless they re sign him. I don't think they will. The team is primed for one more run in '07, then it's time to go back to the drawing board.

Hopefully, they can follow the path of the Colts who got bounced in their first playoff game(like the Ravens) last year only to win it all this year.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 03:07:55 PM »
Well, that's true most of the time... There has only been one number 1 draft pick to ever win a superbowl... That's Troy Aikmen... The rest were later round guys.

And Peyton Manning as of last night.

body88

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 03:15:13 PM »
Remember Ryan Leaf ?