Author Topic: Should the bears give Jeff Garcia a call?  (Read 26335 times)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
Re: Should the bears give Jeff Garcia a call?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 03:24:21 PM »
Remember Ryan Leaf ?

Yes, i think we all do. i personaly would have taken him over Peyton. physically was superior in every way. played on a weaker team in college and took them to a bowl game, didnt have the "happy" feet that Peyton had/has. he also performed better in the combine.

that expains why im working in finance and not a talent evaluator of an NFL team which was my dream job :-[

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 03:27:42 PM »
And Peyton Manning as of last night.

True... he made it 2. I should modify that to "2" superbowls... unless payton does it next year as well.

:D

body88

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 03:29:36 PM »
True... he made it 2. I should modify that to "2" superbowls... unless payton does it next year as well.

:D

The colts have 12 free agents and 2.5 million in cap space. It will be hard for them to do it again with that situation.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 03:31:19 PM »
The colts have 12 free agents and 2.5 million in cap space. It will be hard for them to do it again with that situation.

I agree... I wouldn't expect another superbowl win from Manning... Looks like he'll be a 1 bowl guy, but he can still pad his stats over the next few years, and perhaps move himself into a top 5 QB of all time rating.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »
Remember Ryan Leaf ?

For the record he was drafted #2 behind Peyton.

Fuck, what kind of scouting did the Chargers have in place to think that Leaf was worthy of the number 2 pick? I can't remember a pick that high that was a complete bust like that.

You guys remember Tony Mandarich in 1989? Offensive tackle out of Michigan State drafted #2 overall by the Packers? Holy shit what a bust that guy turned out to be!!!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 03:33:33 PM »

Dan Synder of the Redskins has a major hard on for Dwight Freeney.

Freeney will be a Redskin next season. Write it down.

And the Skins still won't win.

body88

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »
I agree... I wouldn't expect another superbowl win from Manning... Looks like he'll be a 1 bowl guy, but he can still pad his stats over the next few years, and perhaps move himself into a top 5 QB of all time rating.

Freeney, June, Rhodes, Stokley, Harper, Klecko, Simon, Wilkins, Morris, Doss, Mungro and Prohel are all free agents. Manning has a 10 million dollar option due, and Freeney is going to command huge money. Not to mention I doubt  Polian wants to let June go. All the colts cap room has to be used to retain what they can. They are in salery cap trouble.

If the pats do not go the franchise route with Asanti, look for them to go after Harper. They pats have 30 million in cap room(which is about 10th most in the nfl), 2 first round picks, and all there key players locked up. The 49ers have the most room at 49 mill. That is a lot of doe!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 03:39:17 PM »
Remember Ryan Leaf ?

Leaf's problem wasn't that he isn't good, it's that he was thrown to the fucking wolves... had he been on this years charger team, he may have taken them all the way... The team wasn't as dominating then.

Oh, and for what it's worth Brian Griese really is a very good QB, when he was in Denver he had many flashes of brilliance... unfortunately, Denver is another team you can count on to send you out to the Wolves and not have your back if it doesn't go your way.

That's where Peyton has been fortunate, he had a few shit ass years too, but no one ever held him accountable and the Colts never turned their back on him.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 04:04:29 PM »
Agreed on Griese short-term knowing he'll buy time for a draft pick to develop though he'll probably get injured again.

Leaf was a loser, with serious mental problems. No way in hell he'd have taken a team anywhere.

Mandarich and Leaf are examples of NFL coaches love of combines and numbers. They filled all the right formulas.

I wouldn't say that either Griese or Plumber were shafted in Denver; neither could quite get the job done after being given very decent opportunities.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 05:56:29 PM »

If Trent Dilfer could do it, so can Rex Grossman.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2007, 06:08:09 PM »

Trent Dilfer is highly inteligent and can read a defense with the best of them. he may not have the accuracy that is always wanted but he wont lose the game for you. also the Ravens defense of 2000 was head and shoulders above the Bears of this year.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2007, 08:09:12 AM »

wrong, my friend. Grossman is not as intelligent as Dilfer was when it came to reading defenses and taking what the defense gave him during games.

Additionally, call me crazy but if the Ravens would've signed Dilfer for another year  instead of fucking Elvis Grbac, they probably would've repeated as champs in 2001.

Sorry to get off topic, just venting!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 08:25:45 AM »

Hopefully, they can follow the path of the Colts who got bounced in their first playoff game(like the Ravens) last year only to win it all this year.

haha keep dreaming :P

eagles should start garcia and trade mcnabb to his hometown bears for a first round pick and a starter

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 08:29:37 AM »
For the record he was drafted #2 behind Peyton.

f**k, what kind of scouting did the Chargers have in place to think that Leaf was worthy of the number 2 pick? I can't remember a pick that high that was a complete bust like that.

a few teams had him ranked ahead of manning and every single team would've taken leaf if they had the number 2 pick

that is why he is remembered as such a monumental bust when there are plenty of guys drafted as high as him that failed

he was supposed to be a sure thing

E
E

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »

eagles should start garcia and trade mcnabb to his hometown bears for a first round pick and a starter

E

I agree... and then he'll get hurt and Griese will play anyway... Look at McNabb's NFL career, he's only had 2 complete season in like the 6 or 7 he's been in the league... he's injury prone and a liability... his skills are never in question, but he can never stay healthy.

I'd drop him in a heart beat, but you know damn well, Andy Reid won't... He's his boy.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2007, 11:21:50 AM »

E

I like Garcia but, the eagles wont trade McNabb. McNabb is the franchise player. he hasnt played a full season in while but with Garcia's age, long term the eagles will have more opportunities with McNabb. For one full season with the same team however, Garcia is a better leader. Sal Palentonio, Philly writter for ESPN said the team responded better to Garcia in the huddle, and he took more control of the team practice vocally.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2007, 01:51:38 PM »
The 49ers have the most room at 49 mill. That is a lot of doe!

My niners are gonna be "uber good" the next 6 years

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »
My niners are gonna be "uber good" the next 6 years

I agree... Frank Gore and Alex Smith had an ok year... Add some D and a couple of top notch Wideouts, you could have a Superbowl contender on your hands.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2007, 03:31:18 PM »
I agree... Frank Gore and Alex Smith had an ok year... Add some D and a couple of top notch Wideouts, you could have a Superbowl contender on your hands.

oh, had the niners made it to the playoffs this year, they woulda done some damage.  They woulda upset someone in the wildcard round, and challenged someone in the divisional round. they're gonna be really good and much quicker than anyone expected.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »
Grossman fucking sucks. He was pitiful in the superbowl, yet fucking Phil Simms still wouldn't get off his nuts. Anyways, YES! The Bears should get Garcia because their window will shrink soon.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
Grossman fucking sucks. He was pitiful in the superbowl, yet fucking Phil Simms still wouldn't get off his nuts. Anyways, YES! The Bears should get Garcia because they're window will shrink soon.

Yeah, like Phil Simms is the end all be all of QBs... he had decent years.. couple were really good, but he's not even in the top 15 best QBs of all time... let's just move him over there next to Boomer E. shall we?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2007, 07:42:45 PM »
Most TV football announcers suck, Simms being a perfect example. Nothing to say and almost always continues babbling over plays and refs announcements with long-winded blather because he's not paying attention.

It would really help the product to at least get interesting color announcers since they're almost all bland and don't ad much. Theismann's one of the best, or someone like Boomer and Sharp. Irvin would also be good, as would Tony Siragusa.

body88

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2007, 07:48:09 PM »
Most TV football announcers suck, Simms being a perfect example. Nothing to say and almost always continues babbling over plays and refs announcements with long-winded blather because he's not paying attention.

It would really help the product to at least get interesting color announcers since they're almost all bland and don't ad much. Theismann's one of the best, or someone like Boomer and Sharp. Irvin would also be good, as would Tony Siragusa.

Perfect.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2007, 11:45:25 PM »
i still can't believe CBS's number one football guy ISNT Dick Enberg!  He's so much better than whats his face that CBS had working the game.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2007, 11:55:27 PM »
Perfect.

I don't know why, but I still love John Madden... his work with a light pen has always been memorable.