Author Topic: Should the bears give Jeff Garcia a call?  (Read 26485 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Should the bears give Jeff Garcia a call?
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2007, 05:31:28 AM »
I think Garcia's days as a starter are all but done. He turns 37 next month. But then again, Brad johnson started for the Vikings at age 38 this past season. Didn't do the team much good though.

I know a guy who won the Mr Olympia and he was 41...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2007, 07:24:15 AM »

True, except no one was trying to knock his block off. 

body88

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2007, 07:43:19 AM »
True, except no one was trying to knock his block off. 

Don't tell that to pro bb's. Some goof over on md, was trying to compare pro bb's with professional nfl,nba,nhl,mlb players ::)

A star nfl player, has more athletic talent in his left testicle, then every bodybuilder in history  :o

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2007, 09:25:07 AM »
Most TV football announcers suck, Simms being a perfect example. Nothing to say and almost always continues babbling over plays and refs announcements with long-winded blather because he's not paying attention.

It would really help the product to at least get interesting color announcers since they're almost all bland and don't ad much. Theismann's one of the best, or someone like Boomer and Sharp. Irvin would also be good, as would Tony Siragusa.

Michael irvin? You must be hitting the pipe. Then you two would have a lot in common!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »

Yeah but could he throw a football and run 40 yards in under 5 seconds?

I think not.........

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »
Michael irvin? You must be hitting the pipe. Then you two would have a lot in common!

Wrong, you're not getting that someone who is either loved or hated is much better than blandness. What makes an announcer interesting unlike most of today's is either knowledge or a lively persona. Irvin has at least one, arguably two.

Exactly why Monday Night Football was so much better in the 70s, because Cosell and Meredith had that. Michaels has neither-notice now that there's a lag between when the play happens and him announcing what has happened, because he's a geezer. He was never interesting and has only average insights on the game.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2007, 11:01:23 AM »
Wrong right back at 'cha!

Michael Irvin would not make a good announcer. Anybody else want to chime in on this???

You must be a Cowboys fan........

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2007, 11:27:50 AM »

Michael Irvin would not make a good announcer. Anybody else want to chime in on this???

Hate the Cowboys. You're wrong on Irvin, we'd only find out if he did it. If Phil Simms is an "annoucer" then anyone's qualified. Generally speaking, the best guys are not appreciated by TV, they usually bring in mediocrity because it's "safe". A good example was Jim Brown doing color in the late 70s. Between him, George Allen & Vin Scully they did an excellent job but neither of the former players did that for any length of time, because the networks didn't like and weren't comfortable with them.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2007, 12:27:28 PM »

I agree with you, Irvin has to many drawbacks.  i also think Sharpe is horrible, for the life of me i can understand what the hell he is saying. and he cant read a telepromper to save his life.

on the other hand i think Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason do a great job.

body88

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2007, 12:31:07 PM »
  I agree with you, Irvin has to many drawbacks.  i also think Sharpe is horrible, for the life of me i can understand what the hell he is saying. and he cant read a telepromper to save his life.

on the other hand i think Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason do a great job.

Shannon Sharpe would be the worst announcer ever. Not only does he have a lisp , he is horribly biased, and talks to much junk. Irvin would suck to, for obvious reason. I like Siragusa and Boomer.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2007, 01:00:25 PM »
None of the guys realize that the fact that you have strong feelings for or against Irvin and Sharpe is exacty part of why Howard Cosell was good-ya really think everyone loved him?

Whereas bland announcers like Phil Simms really don't add anything and aren't really disliked but are utterly banal and ad nothing but noise.

Boomer is more opinionated, exactly as Irvin and Sharpe are, which is automatically more interesting whether you like them or not. Separate out whether you personally like or dislike them from the fact that they're not boring AND have all played.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2007, 01:01:58 PM »
None of the guys realize that the fact that you have strong feelings against Irvin and Sharpe is exacty part of why Howard Cosell was good-ya really think everyone loved him?

Whereas bland announcers like Phil Simms really don't add anything and aren't really disliked = boring announcers.

Boomer is more opinionated, exactly as Irvin and Sharpe are, which is automatically more interesting whether you like them or not.

Sims is almost as bad a bryant gumbel.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2007, 01:05:54 PM »
Sims is almost as bad a bryant gumbel.

Almost all of them are mediocre. The better announcers i've found are on radio, have to provide more content. I try to listen on the radio but unfortunately there's a delay that ruins it. Matt Millen and Randy Cross are/were both good announcers, again former players not professional announcers.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2007, 01:36:09 PM »
I like Phil Simms just because of his football perspective during the game. Half of this jack off announcers didn't even play in the NFL.

Sorry, but I must reiterate. MICHAEL IRVIN IS TERRIBLE! How that guy has a job even broadcasting is beyond me given his perchant for smoking rock. (and you know he still gets high these days).

Even seen those nostrils? Those are coke nostrils, my friend. You can see up his nose and into his brain when he talks on TV.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »
I like Phil Simms just because of his football perspective during the game. Half of this jack off announcers didn't even play in the NFL.

Unfortunately some announcers like Simms have played but you'd never know listening to him, in part due to political correctness in his case that prevents him from mentioning negatives most of the time, and his inability to portray what he's experienced to others. I like to see or hear someone give me insights that aren't already obvious. He and others like Fouts don't. Aikman's a little better.

Michaels is another-tremendous hype, adds virtually nothing.

Anyone who is more interesting including Irvin, Siragusa, Boomer or Sharpe will be either loved or hated but will be watched.Irvin's still on the air because you don't realize that all his antics are generating interest!!!

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2007, 01:55:48 PM »
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/irvinmug1.html

Incorrect. Irvin's antics are generating police interest. click on the above.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2007, 02:11:43 PM »
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/irvinmug1.html

Incorrect. Irvin's antics are generating police interest. click on the above.

Wrong, you're confusing the two. Police interest has nothing to do with media interest, in fact i can't believe you think they're related.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2007, 02:57:39 PM »
I'm not confusing it, bonehead. I was cracking a joke! ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2007, 03:05:17 PM »
I'm not confusing it, bonehead. I was cracking a joke! ::)

Knucklehead makes a joke without signifying it, as if i know him. Brilliant. ::)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2007, 03:28:57 PM »
You want to get ugly?

Fine.

You're a fucking idiot and douchebag for suggesting Michael Irvin would make a great NFL commentator. That is just an idiotic, utterly stupid remark. The guy is a crackhead and he doesn't even deserve to be a commentator for ESPN. The only reason he wasn't fired is ESPN execs were fearful that Irvin would file a defamation lawsuit claiming that he was fired because of his race. No major network is willing to risk that kind of negative exposure and don't think that that threat wasn't made by Irvin's attorneys to the ESPN powers-that-be.
In actuality he would have been fired for once again embarrassing himself AND the network for his off camera behavior.

And another thing. Fuck him and the Hall of Fame committee for electing Irvin and not the great Art Monk for next year's Hall of Fame class. Absolute bullshit. I'm not saying Monk was a better player than Irvin, but the guy deserves to be in the hall of Fame BEFORE Irvin is elected. Monk was a class act on AND off the field. Monk wasn't the type of guy that would spend all night doing coke binges with two hookers and get arressted for it like Irvin did. The guy's a joke.

Now that's breaking it down, son! F U and Michael Irvin beaatcchhh!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2007, 03:30:44 PM »
You want to get ugly?

Fine.

You're a fucking idiot and douchebag for suggesting Michael Irvin would make a great NFL commentator. That is just an idiotic, utterly stupid remark. The guy is a crackhead and he doesn't even deserve to be a commentator for ESPN. The only reason he wasn't fired is ESPN execs were fearful that Irvin would file a defamation lawsuit claiming that he was fired because of his race. No major network is willing to risk that kind of negative exposure and don't think that that threat wasn't made by Irvin's attorneys to the ESPN powers-that-be.
In actuality he would have been fired for once again embarrassing himself AND the network for his off camera behavior.

And another thing. f**k him and the Hall of Fame committee for electing Irvin and not the great Art Monk for next year's Hall of Fame class. Absolute bullshit. I'm not saying Monk was a better player than Irvin, but the guy deserves to be in the hall of Fame BEFORE Irvin is elected. Monk was a class act on AND off the field. Monk wasn't the type of guy that would spend all night doing coke binges with two hookers and get arressted for it like Irvin did. The guy's a joke.

Now that's breaking it down, son! F U and Michael Irvin beaatcchhh!

Meltdown

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2007, 03:35:57 PM »
Meltdown
Absafukinlutely. Major issues.

Monk's numbers aren't comparable. You're an amateur with too many personal biases.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2007, 03:42:02 PM »
Absafukinlutely. Major issues.

Monk's numbers aren't comparable. You're an amateur with too many personal biases.

Amateur? What's your professional sports pedigree, yard ape?

And you once again you're wrong. Monks numbers are comparable. Irvin won three rings, Monk 2 rings. Monk led the league in catches one year, Irvin never has. Irvin has had 6 1,000 yards seasons, Monk has had four.

Next question.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2007, 03:43:51 PM »
How original. ::)

Hey dude im the meltdown police of get big....it is obvious that you have some deep seeded hatred for michael irvin.

He should have been a first ballot hall of famer in my book. I hate the cowboys but he was awsome. bottom line. And how much of the nfl players personal life do you think you know...ill say less than 1%. You dont know what these players are doing off the field. For that they have the citizenship award....the hall is for what they do on the field.