Author Topic: Should the bears give Jeff Garcia a call?  (Read 26328 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Should the bears give Jeff Garcia a call?
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2007, 06:53:08 PM »
How many WRs have 5 1000 yard seasons in their entire careers? No matter how long they play?

Much less 5 of them...

The HOF also takes into account how important a player is to a team... You can not tell me that every week when Monk was on the field that the Secondary was not worried about him burning them.

That too counts... You really seem to be against Monk for some reason... Who else in the mid-late 80s was DEFINITIVELY better than him?

Aside from Rice.

Hope this helps too. :D

Wrong again, you're interpreting due to emotionalism. I'm impartial unlike our friend and the HOF agrees with my take, not you two. You and he have given NO compelling reasons for him to be in! There should be a number, not just one, of reasons that prove his greatness.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2007, 06:54:26 PM »
Wrong again, you're interpreting due to emotionalism. I'm impartial unlike our friend. You and he have given NO compelling reasons for him to be in! Wake up.

You haven't really given too many compelling reasons for him to be out in my opinion... You're touting stats, but that is not what makes a player great.... It's that simple.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2007, 06:55:17 PM »
And to put the quirky HOF voters in perspective, how about Lynn Swann?  336 receptions for 5,462 yards and 57 TDs.  Zero 1,000 yard seasons in his 9-year career.  But make a few spectacular catches in the Super Bowl and you're in.   ::)  

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2007, 06:56:08 PM »
You haven't really given too many compelling reasons for him to be out in my opinion... You're touting stats, but that is not what makes a player great.... It's that simple.

I've given many reasons, go back and read em. I listed them in detail, unlike you. The HOF considered these things and concurred with these facts incidentally, vs. your reasoning that is bereft of concrete reasoning or evidence.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2007, 06:57:09 PM »
And to put the quirky HOF voters in perspective, how about Lynn Swann?  336 receptions for 5,462 yards and 57 TDs.  Zero 1,000 yard seasons in his 9-year career.  But make a few spectacular catches in the Super Bowl and you're in.   ::) 

Getting it done when it counts is good for something... Besides, when Swanny played... the game really was different... The game changed in the mid 80s... the west coast offense took hold and running the ball was not always the priority.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2007, 06:57:20 PM »
And to put the quirky HOF voters in perspective, how about Lynn Swann?  336 receptions for 5,462 yards and 57 TDs.  Zero 1,000 yard seasons in his 9-year career.  But make a few spectacular catches in the Super Bowl and you're in.   ::)  

I already explained their reasoning re: Swann. It made some sense, as did eventually allowing him in.

Monk on the other hand, has no compelling evidence that really supports that he was great.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2007, 06:58:29 PM »
Getting it done when it counts is good for something... Besides, when Swanny played... the game really was different... The game changed in the mid 80s... the west coast offense took hold and running the ball was not always the priority.

I already explained that the game was different-Monk benefitted from those differences.

As far as "getting it done when it counts" do you realize how lame and general that is? That could apply to half the league.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2007, 06:59:45 PM »
I've given many reasons, go back and read em. I listed them in detail, unlike you. The HOF considered these things and concurred with these facts incidentally, vs. your reasoning that is bereft of concrete reasoning or evidence.

You are sighting stats as "facts". They are factual yes... but they are NOT the determining factor for what makes a player GREAT.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. There are many HOFs who are in, but were not in and of themselves extraordinary players.

As I asked previously and you glanced over... do you think Secondary's did or did NOT worry about Monk burning them?

Lots of wideouts are in the NFL, few made secondary defenses worry... he did.

The HOF is full of intangibles, for you to keep spouting "stats" shows that to you, the numbers are all that matter... The game of football is much more than "numbers".

I'm sorry you don't see that.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2007, 07:00:56 PM »
I already explained that the game was different-Monk benefitted from those differences.

As far as "getting it done when it counts" do you realize how lame and general that is? That could apply to half the league.

Hardly... stepping up on the biggest stage in all of football is not even remotely applicable to 1/2 the league.

For you to say it's lame and general obviously shows that you're simply a "stat" guy... You keep on reading those stats... I'll watch football.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2007, 07:02:54 PM »
Hardly... stepping up on the biggest stage in all of football is not even remotely applicable to 1/2 the league.

For you to say it's lame and general obviously shows that you're simply a "stat" guy... You keep on reading those stats... I'll watch football.

No, i just know the game better than you ever will, beginning with the fact that i don't jump to make assumptions about others the way you do, in order to make myself feel better.

So far you have nothing, whereas I've taken the time to give plenty of detail as to why the HOF agrees with me. You haven't even addressed let alone put up anything against my points that challenges them."Stepping up" is completely opinion, is meaningless and applies to plenty of guys who never made the HOF so by itself it's insufficient and general.

Don't worry, he's well known enough that eventually they'll let him in anyway.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2007, 07:05:44 PM »
No, i just know the game better than you ever will, beginning with the fact that i don't jump to make assumptions about others the way you do, in order to make myself feel better.

So far you have nothing. I've given plenty of detail as to why the HOF agrees with me.

Don't worry, he's well known enough that eventually they'll let him in anyway.

I guess I should be looking for you on ESPN...

Because you so obviously are the most knowledgeable guy around when it comes to football... I can't believe that NBC or Fox hasn't picked you up yet.

You're the football GOD. If someone doesn't believe it, they should just ask you...

Arrogant much?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2007, 07:06:42 PM »
I guess I should be looking for you on ESPN...

Because you so obviously are the most knowledgeable guy around when it comes to football... I can't believe that NBC or Fox hasn't picked you up yet.

You're the football GOD. If someone doesn't believe it, they should just ask you...

Arrogant much?

At least i don't resort to such personal crap when losing the way you are, unable to refute any of the details i listed. ;D

FYI i am knowledge on football. About the only one here who didn't dump on the Colts at the beginning of the season. I said specifically that they were improved and the real deal finally. Look it up genius. ;D ;D ;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2007, 07:12:19 PM »
At least i don't resort to such personal crap when losing the way you are, unable to refute any of the details i listed. ;D

FYI i am knowledge on football. About the only one here who didn't dump on the Colts at the beginning of the season, said they were improved. Look it up genius. ;D ;D ;D

As far as "getting it done when it counts" do you realize how lame and general that is?

There's one piece of personal crap (since I said it, I must be lame)

No, i just know the game better than you ever will

There's another...  As far as dumping on the colts... I said they had a great shot after their win against the Giants in opening day... so you weren't alone with that... I just wasn't posting on this board.

What is there to refute? You keep sighting stats, and I keep explaining that stats do not make a Hall of Fame player... Why would I refute stats... They are finite, but not the whole of footbal, not by themselves... please explain how I'm the one missing the point.

If you're touchy about me telling you that you're being arrogant... Well, simply put, you were... Notice that part up there where you said that "I know the game better than you ever will"

Sorry, but that is pretty arrogant...

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »
The final verdict.

Pump,

Since the Hall apparently "agrees with you"...........You don't think Monk will EVER be voted in?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2007, 07:23:34 PM »

FYI i am knowledge on football. About the only one here who didn't dump on the Colts at the beginning of the season. I said specifically that they were improved and the real deal finally. Look it up genius. ;D ;D ;D

Lucky.   :)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2007, 11:31:48 AM »
The final verdict.

Pump,

Since the Hall apparently "agrees with you"...........You don't think Monk will EVER be voted in?

its intersting the "Hall" decides who is and isnt going into the HOF. The Hall is comprised of a bunch of writters who often have other agendas and never played against the guys they say are not worthy. none of them ever had to line up against Monk on the field
  Pump you may have the Hall(bunch of writers) on your side but Mark Schlereth, Marino, and Eric Allen(who lined up against him) say he should be in.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2007, 11:51:17 AM »
  its intersting the "Hall" decides who is and isnt going into the HOF. The Hall is comprised of a bunch of writters who often have other agendas and never played against the guys they say are not worthy. none of them ever had to line up against Monk on the field
  Pump you may have the Hall(bunch of writers) on your side but Mark Schlereth, Marino, and Eric Allen(who lined up against him) say he should be in.

Good point.  I actually think they should limit the HOF voters to former players, including all of the current HOF members. 

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2007, 12:06:12 PM »
Good point.  I actually think they should limit the HOF voters to former players, including all of the current HOF members. 

that would make to much sense.

besides the writters would feel neglected. its rediculous that former players or HOF'ers dont get a say.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2007, 12:59:30 PM »
  that would make to much sense.

besides the writters would feel neglected. its rediculous that former players or HOF'ers dont get a say.

Yep.

body88

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2007, 02:49:12 PM »
Rumors starting to swirl that Jeff Garcia is "interested" in the bears.........

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2007, 02:54:16 PM »

i heard that also, i dont think they have enough cap room to sign him as a free agent though. Chicago isnt a good fit for him. he is a great west coast QB.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2007, 07:43:31 PM »
Didnt want to read the whole thread, but im a die hard bears fan..... have been since i was little... Shit we got the best team of the century... but like i said im a bears fan... Rex grossman sucks dick.. all this talk from urlacher and lovie about were 13-3 with rex in the driver seat... thank god the defense is great... I would rather have kyle starting for us.. give the kid the first 4 starts and see how he does... if not that, hire a new quarterback... no grossman and i would hate to see the old f*ck in there to... no garcia, we need a new young quarter back to breathe some life into that offense... we have one of the best 2 back rotation next to the saints and i say we still compete... and our WR and TE line up aint bad either we just need someone with an accurate arm who doesnt play outside themselves...