Author Topic: '93 Labrada underrated?  (Read 9737 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: '93 Labrada underrated?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 06:41:18 AM »
Labrada was much bigger at the 1993 Arnold than he ever was prior....He claimed that all he did was make the switch from the Weider 'Victory' line to MetRx. :D

That was the original MetRx. Not the packets. Im taking about the two individual cointainers that you had to mix together.  ;D

MRMD2003

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 07:31:12 AM »
labrada was good, but not in wheeler's class  ! jmo

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 07:37:17 AM »
I have heard that his supplemt line is very good.

I have only the protein bars though.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
Re: Flex wheler 93' overrated??
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »
I never said Diesel didn't deserve to win it too. ;)

I think Labrada was overrated though. He looks like a bubblehead. Shawn Ray has a better head to body proportion then Labrada.

Hahahahaha 100% right. Flea Labrada was overrated quite a bit. I remember him saying in an interview prior to the Mr O 1993 (in the video) that he'd noticed that the judges were starting to reward the bigger guys and as a result, had put on additional weight for that contest - upto 3 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!! Like the great Sarcasm says, 'What a BEAST' hahahahaha

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 08:08:19 AM »
Hahahahaha 100% right. Flea Labrada was overrated quite a bit. I remember him saying in an interview prior to the Mr O 1993 (in the video) that he'd noticed that the judges were starting to reward the bigger guys and as a result, had put on additional weight for that contest - upto 3 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!! Like the great Sarcasm says, 'What a BEAST' hahahahaha

lol that must have been the creatine gains.
just push some weight!

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 09:41:47 AM »
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw4_MdhJqmQ

routine from the 93 ironman....awsome.
nasser=piece of shit

bcimagala

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 10:09:50 AM »
Si I mean,Yes.

he was measured using calipers at 0%.

obviously, he was not a true 0% since your organs and body have/need some amount of fat.

but, it is possible to be measured at 0%.

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 01:43:55 PM »
F-K Labrada. Have you ever seen him in person. His head is huuuuuge ! He was a dick as well walking around the Arnold like he was Mr o himself. He was so stuck up that maybe that saying " It's gone to his head " or "his head is getting to big " Is tue. He's a dick and had crappy legs and a huge head which made him look weird IMO.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 04:55:26 PM »
F-K Labrada. Have you ever seen him in person. His head is huuuuuge ! He was a dick as well walking around the Arnold like he was Mr o himself. He was so stuck up that maybe that saying " It's gone to his head " or "his head is getting to big " Is tue. He's a dick and had crappy legs and a huge head which made him look weird IMO.

easy brother .

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 06:52:25 PM »
yes
!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »

I met him once back stage and thought he was very arrogant. He was back stage pumping up to guest pose and he would not talk to anyone, but he definately liked being the center of attention.  ::)

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 09:35:24 PM »
I met him once back stage and thought he was very arrogant. He was back stage pumping up to guest pose and he would not talk to anyone, but he definately liked being the center of attention.  ::)

I can relate to that.  He was my favorite bodybuilder when I first began in the sport.  A bunch of friends and I traveled 1 1/2 hours by car to watch him guest pose.  Because of bad directions it wound up taking us 2 hours.  When we arrived to the venue he was wrapping up his photos and getting ready to go onstage.  Being a newbie in the sport, I really wanted a photo of Lee, so, I waited by his table after his guest appearance.  He never came back to the table.  Upon realizing he wasn't coming back, I went for a bathroom visit before my long trip back home.  Who was coming out as I was going in?  Mr. Labrada.  As he walked out, I said hi to Mr.Labrada and introduced myself.  He said Hi.  I mentioned to him that I was waiting and hoping to get a picture of him.  He stated "there are no more pictures for tonight."  But,..."there will be more at the seminar tomorrow."  He was also giving a seminar at a local gym the following day.  When I mentioned that I lived a few hours away and would not be able to attend, his answer was a very simple, "Sorry."----  He had photos, I saw him putting them away!!  He was too fuckin' lazy to pull out a pic and "sell" it a fan.  I know Lee Priest gets a lot of heat from some people on the boards, but I ran into him and asked for a photo at a local gym one time, he didn't have any, but took my name and address and mailed me two photos for free!!!  He then lived in L.A., I in NJ.  I've never respected Labrada after that.  His physique was classic, his attitude, pathetic.  Even to this day, he has a great supplement company and does not have a single top amateur or pro under endorsement.  Some way to give back to the sport he made his name in huh? ::)  I wonder how he would have faired if not for the lucrative Met-Rx. contracts he and Dr. Connelly worked out years ago. 

Wow, that turned into some rant!  Sorry guys, now it's off my chest,  yes, I feel better. ;D

Carlo

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »
Come to think of it, he did act kinda stand-offish when I met him at an expo a few years back. Now I know the vibe I got was justifiable.
!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »
I can relate to that.  He was my favorite bodybuilder when I first began in the sport.  A bunch of friends and I traveled 1 1/2 hours by car to watch him guest pose.  Because of bad directions it wound up taking us 2 hours.  When we arrived to the venue he was wrapping up his photos and getting ready to go onstage.  Being a newbie in the sport, I really wanted a photo of Lee, so, I waited by his table after his guest appearance.  He never came back to the table.  Upon realizing he wasn't coming back, I went for a bathroom visit before my long trip back home.  Who was coming out as I was going in?  Mr. Labrada.  As he walked out, I said hi to Mr.Labrada and introduced myself.  He said Hi.  I mentioned to him that I was waiting and hoping to get a picture of him.  He stated "there are no more pictures for tonight."  But,..."there will be more at the seminar tomorrow."  He was also giving a seminar at a local gym the following day.  When I mentioned that I lived a few hours away and would not be able to attend, his answer was a very simple, "Sorry."----  He had photos, I saw him putting them away!!  He was too fuckin' lazy to pull out a pic and "sell" it a fan.  I know Lee Priest gets a lot of heat from some people on the boards, but I ran into him and asked for a photo at a local gym one time, he didn't have any, but took my name and address and mailed me two photos for free!!!  He then lived in L.A., I in NJ.  I've never respected Labrada after that.  His physique was classic, his attitude, pathetic.  Even to this day, he has a great supplement company and does not have a single top amateur or pro under endorsement.  Some way to give back to the sport he made his name in huh? ::)  I wonder how he would have faired if not for the lucrative Met-Rx. contracts he and Dr. Connelly worked out years ago. 

Wow, that turned into some rant!  Sorry guys, now it's off my chest,  yes, I feel better. ;D

Carlo

Yep, the same attitude that he gave us. He was ass.  I met Lee a couple of times at the AC and he was cool. I was there with a friend of mine once and he was curious who was taller so I asked Lee if he would stand back to back with my buddy and he was nice enough to let us see who was taller. My buddy won by an inch.  ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 12:05:01 AM »
The video was on YouTube it was abouts Flexs' life and they showed a short clip and if Flex didn't break his neck he would have beat Yates at the 94 Olympia if he was spot on

I don't think that would happen. First, Dorian still won with straight-firsts, which indicates that the judges considered him to be far above the field, and secondly, he was by then a two-time winner, so he had a strong hold on the title. I think that even if Flex came in his all time best, Dorian would need to be a little more of then he was for Wheeler to win. Remember that Dorian being "off" still means that his conditioning was rock-solid.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007, 07:53:21 PM »
he was measured using calipers at 0%.

obviously, he was not a true 0% since your organs and body have/need some amount of fat.

but, it is possible to be measured at 0%.

YOU sir are wrong. Jim Quinn witnessed this astounding measurement.He commented on it during the 93 Olympia. It was,in fact,0.0% the lowest ever recorded.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
1-we are talking about the Arnold classic 93', not what he looked like one day at gold's.

2- Flex muscle separation,tiny joints and full bellies  made him looked 0.0 % but that's not (possible) true.

wrong sir. It is common knowledge that Flex was indeed,0.0% bf the week before the 93 Olympia.

flex933

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 08:08:45 PM »
i agree with u guys. labrada was good. very balanced and was in excellent poser.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2007, 08:12:40 PM »
It is common knowledge that Flex was indeed,0.0% bf the week before the 93 Olympia.

Anything less than 3% and your body doesn't have enough fat to function properly. At 0.0% you be - in a word - dying.

dylan_dent

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 10:35:11 PM »
True, but theyre talking about the skin fold test only. Not an overall BMI.

D

Anything less than 3% and your body doesn't have enough fat to function properly. At 0.0% you be - in a word - dying.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 03:35:17 AM »

Well, it looks like you are wrong...because Flex Wheeler was in fact,0.0% in the days leading up to the 93 Olympia.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 04:57:07 AM »
  Well, it looks like you are wrong...because Flex Wheeler was in fact,0.0% in the days leading up to the 93 Olympia.
Hmm. If only there was a witness to this, or a location where it happened that could be verified?  :D

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 07:41:38 AM »

Some people just don't know BBing history for shit...
I

jem123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »

Carlo

I dont want to jump on the anti Labrada bandwagon cos i thought he had an amazing build and possibly one of the greatest posers ever but i have a similar story when i met him in 89.

He was touring the UK with fellow texan middleweight champ stoney lee grimes and i aproached him and tried to speak to him. to tell you the truth I was a bit in awe as i had never met a pro before and was only 17 at the time. He was really off with me and i remember thinking that perhaps i had caught him on an off day. sounds like this behaviour was usual.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2007, 08:03:37 PM »

If thats true I wonder how he landed onstage at 4% bodyfat? must have eaten like slob tob gain 4% bodyfat in 48 hours.  ::)

Flex deserved 3rd place at the 1993 Mr O. Dorian and Shawn were better that day. Most people, a the time of the show, had Shawn placing second.

Romanticizing over contest photos 14 years after the show doesnt change the fact that Flex was the 3rd best bodybuilder on the stage that night.