Author Topic: Mars Scraps Snickers Ad After Complaints  (Read 2821 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Mars Scraps Snickers Ad After Complaints
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:37:19 AM »
More PC nonsense. 

Mars Scraps Snickers Ad After Complaints
Super Bowl Spot Criticized as Homophobic

By Paul Farhi
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 7, 2007; C01

The maker of Snickers drew snickers from many viewers of Sunday's Super Bowl broadcast with a commercial featuring a brief, unintentional lip lock between two guys.

Soon after, the complaints started to roll in.

Result: In what might be one of the fastest retreats in corporate history, candymaker Mars Inc. yanked the multimillion-dollar commercial from the airwaves late Monday and vaporized related material from its Web site. The normally reticent McLean-based company issued a public statement, saying it was just trying to be funny and didn't intend to offend.

But its ad, in which two auto mechanics bite into a Snickers bar from either end and inadvertently end up lip to lip, clearly rubbed some people the wrong way. Three gay rights organizations condemned the commercial as homophobic, arguing that the men's reaction (they tear out their chest hair to prove they're really "manly") demeans gay men.

Worse, the groups said, were the alternative endings that Snickers included on its Web site as part of a contest to determine which version would air during the Daytona 500 later this month.

In one ending, one of the characters grabs a wrench to beat the other, who responds by slamming a car hood down on the other guy's head. A second ending shows members of the Indianapolis Colts and Chicago Bears reacting with amusement and disgust to the "kiss."

"I don't know what kind of mind-set it takes to think it's okay to slug another guy because of a mistaken kiss," said Neil G. Giuliano, president of Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, which objected to the ad. "It's just unacceptable."

Added Giuliano: "This is clearly the wardrobe malfunction of 2007," a reference to the Janet Jackson breast-baring incident during the Super Bowl's halftime show in 2004.

The rights groups Matthew Shepard Foundation and Human Rights Campaign also complained to Mars about the commercial. The ad, made by New York agency TBWA/Chiat/Day, cost more than $2 million to make and air during the Super Bowl, which drew more than 90 million viewers.

GLAAD said the agency had offered to preview the commercial last month but then pulled out without explanation.

Alice Nathanson, spokeswoman for Masterfoods Inc., the Mars subsidiary that markets Snickers, said yesterday that the company had received plenty of positive feedback about the ad, including a top ranking in a USA Today poll. But she said: "We're not trying to be controversial. We're acting in a way that is sensitive to folks who may have found it offensive."

Other recent commercials have traded comically on homosexuality and stereotypes, sometimes with controversy trailing after them.

Some gay groups took offense at a 2005 commercial for Chevrolet trucks in which several men in a pickup truck become noticeably uncomfortable when a fellow male passenger sings along with the Shania Twain song, "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" An ad last year for the Dodge Caliber featured a tough guy walking a Doberman who taunts a Tinker Bell-like character with the line "silly little fairy."

The fairy then turns the guy into a mincing man dressed in a pastel shirt and short-shorts with a leash attached to several little dogs. Amid complaints, Dodge's agency, BBDO, said it did not intend to slur gay men.

Los Angeles ad woman Claudia Caplan said yesterday that gay groups may be overreacting to the Snickers ad: "My take on it is, why is it homophobic for two heterosexual men to kiss by mistake? If a homosexual man kissed a heterosexual woman by mistake, would that be considered hetero-phobic?"

But Steve Hall, a former ad executive who writes the Adrants.com newsletter and blog, says the Snickers commercial has harmed the candymaker's image with all consumers.

"Can you imagine the looks one will now receive from the checkout clerk when they buy a Snickers bar?" he wrote yesterday. " . . . There's plenty of other perfectly good candy choices with far less embarrassment attached to them."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/06/AR2007020601871_pf.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Mars Scraps Snickers Ad After Complaints
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:42:03 AM »
wasn't it kinda some similar PC bullshit for you to cry about my scott peterson joke for the last 2 weeks?

some people are too damn soft, I guess

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:21:12 AM »
I think I know who complained >:( That is stupid... That was like the best commercial out of them all.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:29:44 AM »
Oh Puleaze! So now any guy who buys a snicker's bar is gay?  ::)  Good Grief!
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »
If they're trying to get more people to have issues with gays, this is the kind of crap that will make that happen.  This is just dumb...

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 09:54:02 AM »
screw that im not buying no snickers once they take the nuts out and make it  less homophobic I might consider

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »
I figured people would whine about that....lol

I thought it was real funny

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »
wasn't it kinda some similar PC bullshit for you to cry about my scott peterson joke for the last 2 weeks?

::)  Yes, I know plenty of married men who joke about murdering their wife and child.  Happens all the time.   ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »
::)  Yes, I know plenty of married men who joke about murdering their wife and child.  Happens all the time.   ::)

you lust for the idea of war.  you condone the events which have led to 3000 dead and no change in sight.

i make a joke and you have brought it up 20 times now,.

you're a fucking pussy.

hope this helps.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 05:13:58 PM »

Erm, yes.  How you drew the similarity between murdering a child and homosexuality is beyond me.
Thread Killer

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »
Erm, yes.  How you drew the similarity between murdering a child and homosexuality is beyond me.

lol.  There are many voices in 240's head and I think he gets a little confused sometimes.   :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 05:16:12 PM »
wow, you're one of them too?  Those people who can proudly say you think losing 3000 Americans (in real life) is okay, but making one bad joke is much worse.

See, I was joking, and obviously I would never do that.

you, however, are dead serious about believing men should die for oil.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 05:17:07 PM »
lol.  There are many voices in 240's head and I think he gets a little confused sometimes.   :)

ah yes, this from the guy who was a high school dropout when the issue was "hard work"...

then suddenly you're a college professor when the topic is politics.

will you be a marine biologist next week when we're talking whale extinction?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »
ah yes, this from the guy who was a high school dropout when the issue was "hard work"...

then suddenly you're a college professor when the topic is politics.

will you be a marine biologist next week when we're talking whale extinction?

So will you murder your wife and child yourself or will you hire a hit man in the epic battle over your apartment lease?  Inquiring minds want to know . . . . .

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 05:21:01 PM »
So will you murder your wife and child yourself or will you hire a hit man in the epic battle over your apartment lease?  Inquiring minds want to know . . . . .

Hey, I might need a lawyer.  You have your law degree too, right?  Can I borrow you?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 05:25:31 PM »
Hey, I might need a lawyer.  You have your law degree too, right?  Can I borrow you?

LOL.  Whatever degrees I have and whatever I do, you cannot afford me dude.  You'd have to sell A LOT of those $300 web sites.  LOL.   ;D

BTW, you'll be using the public defender. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »
ahhh yes.  The man who brags about his credentials until asked to identify them.  The high school dropout who teaches college in his spare time.  bravo, good chap.  Terrific show.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 05:33:49 PM »
ahhh yes.  The man who brags about his credentials until asked to identify them.  The high school dropout who teaches college in his spare time.  bravo, good chap.  Terrific show.

Cha ching!  Maybe you can take out a loan?  lol . . . .  Save your pennies! 

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 05:40:31 PM »
Okay, probably getting a bit personal for this particular discussion, guys.  Save your taunts for RN, he deserves them  ;)
Thread Killer

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 06:02:37 PM »
Okay, probably getting a bit personal for this particular discussion, guys.  Save your taunts for RN, he deserves them  ;)

True.  But I volunteer to head up the 240 defense fund.  FREE 240!!  Sorry, I'll behave.   ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 06:09:23 PM »
True.  But I volunteer to head up the 240 defense fund.  FREE 240!!  Sorry, I'll behave.   ;D

Hey, you're a proctologist, right?  I remember you mentioning it on the sex board.

i have this bug up my ass and I just can't reach it.  And while you're back there...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 06:18:09 PM »
Hey, you're a proctologist, right?  I remember you mentioning it on the sex board.

i have this bug up my ass and I just can't reach it.  And while you're back there...

Sorry.  Like I've told you before, I'm a married heterosexual.  Go troll the sex board for a gay man looking to hook up.  I'm sure you can find (another) one. . . .

Okay . . . I'm done . . . .  :D