Author Topic: 7 major republican senators break rank on iraq tonight!  (Read 1513 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
7 major republican senators break rank on iraq tonight!
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:43:59 PM »
23 minutes ago:

Senate Republicans who earlier this week helped block deliberations on a resolution opposing President Bush's new troop deployments in Iraq changed course yesterday and vowed to use every tactic at their disposal to ensure a full and open debate.

In a letter distributed yesterday evening to Senate leaders, John W. Warner (Va.), Chuck Hagel (Neb.) and five other GOP supporters of the resolution threatened to attach their measure to any bill sent to the floor in the coming weeks. Noting that the war is the "most pressing issue of our time," the senators declared: "We will explore all of our options under the Senate procedures and practices to ensure a full and open debate."

The letter sent to Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) was not more specific about the Republican senators' strategy for reviving the war debate. But under the chamber's rules, senators have wide latitude in slowing the progress of legislation and in offering amendments, regardless of whether they have anything to do with the bill.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17037294/

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: 7 major republican senators break rank on iraq tonight!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:54:09 AM »
The beginning of the end for Bush.... he better start bombing iran soon before he will have to resign

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 07:21:58 AM »
I wish I could get excited about this. But vote-jockeying over non-binding resolutions is the equivalent of consulting the owner's manual when your car catches on fire.

Our only hope is if the corporate interests decide that the $4.00 a gallon gas that will result from attacking Iran is going to seriously bad for business. Then they can go to their Republican bitches on the Hill and say "You're going to tell the President that if he attacks Iran without explicit authorization from Congress, he'll be impeached before the end of the business that day. Because if you don't, all the money we were going to contribute to your next campaign is going to your Democratic opponent. Who will certainly use it to buy TV ads with an old photo-op picture of you shaking George's hand with a shit-eating grin on your face."

But even a credible threat of impeachment may not be enough at this point. Like the Blues Brothers, Chimpy McFlightsuit has declared himself to be on a mission from God.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 07:45:11 AM »
I agree this is no big deal.  So what if they break the filibuster?  We'll have a debate and then our FIRST partisan vote on a war resolution.  Whoo hoo.  I'd have a lot more respect for Democrats if they actually came up with a plan.   

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »
I'd have a lot more respect for Democrats if they actually came up with a plan.   

The right-wing criticism of them on this point is spot on. Don't be little bitches and screw around with meaningless resolutions to make the President look bad. [He can do that just fine on his own.  :) ] If you're against the war, have the balls to defund it and let the chips fall where they may.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »
The right-wing criticism of them on this point is spot on. Don't be little bitches and screw around with meaningless resolutions to make the President look bad. [He can do that just fine on his own.  :) ] If you're against the war, have the balls to defund it and let the chips fall where they may.

::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:51:18 AM »
7 of 49.

15% of the Republicans in Senate have abandoned  Bush.