Author Topic: Obama declares he's running for president  (Read 2562 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama declares he's running for president
« on: February 10, 2007, 09:48:26 AM »
Obama declares he's running for president
POSTED: 12:05 p.m. EST, February 10, 2007
Story Highlights• Sen. Obama addressed thousands in town square of Springfield, Illinois
• Chose site where Lincoln "called on a divided house to stand together"
• Attended Harvard, Columbia; first black president of the Harvard Law Review
• Before politics, practiced civil rights law, taught at U. of Chicago Law School

Adjust font size:
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois (CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama stood before cheering crowds at the Capitol in his home state Saturday and announced he will seek the 2008 Democratic nomination for president.

Invoking the memory of fellow Illinoisan and the 16th president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, the first-term senator addressed thousands packed into the Springfield, Illinois, town square on a chilly day in America's heartland.

To chants of "Obama! Obama!," he told the crowd: "It was here, in Springfield, where North, South, East and West come together that I was reminded of the essential decency of the American people -- where I came to believe that through this decency, we can build a more hopeful America," said the 45-year-old Obama, who, if elected, would become the nation's first African-American president. (Watch how name recognition may be Obama's best weapon )

"And that is why, in the shadow of the Old State Capitol, where Lincoln once called on a divided house to stand together, where common hopes and common dreams still live, I stand before you today to announce my candidacy for president of the United States of America."

Despite his brief tenure in the Senate, Obama has quickly gained popularity as he pondered his bid to break the Oval Office's color barrier.

According to a University of New Hampshire Survey Research Center conducted this month, Obama placed second, behind Sen. Hillary Clinton, among New Hampshire Democratic primary voters. Obama snared 21 percent of the vote in that popularity poll, trailing Clinton by 14 points.

Other Democrats seeking the office include Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware; Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut; former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina; Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich; New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson; Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack and Sen. Clinton of New York.

While speculation abounds over whether a black presidential candidate can be viable, Obama -- whose first name comes from the Swahili word for "one who is blessed" -- has not let the color of skin hinder his career.

He attended Harvard and Columbia universities and was the first black president of the Harvard Law Review. He entered politics in Illinois, where he practiced civil rights law and taught at the University of Chicago Law School.

His first foray into politics came in 1997, when he took his seat in the state Senate, where he served until 2005. He was sworn in as a U.S. senator in 2005.

'People who love their country can change it'
In his Saturday announcement, Obama acknowledged that he hasn't been in Washington long, but said he is familiar enough with the city's political machinations to understand that change is in order.

"I recognize there is a certain presumptuousness in this -- a certain audacity -- to this announcement," Obama said. "I know that I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington, but I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change.

He added, "People who love their country can change it."

Admitting the tactic is typical of aspiring candidates, Obama promised to overhaul a political system he says is dominated by lobbyists and special interest groups "who've turned our government into a game only they can afford to play."

"They write the checks and you get stuck with the bills, they get the access while you get to write a letter, they think they own this government, but we're here today to take it back. The time for that kind of politics is over," he said. "It's time to turn the page right here and right now."

Obama, the son of a black Kenyan father and white American mother, then invoked Lincoln again.

"He had his doubts. He had his defeats. He had his setbacks, but through his will and his words, he moved a nation and helped free a people."

Obama told the crowd he would tackle problems like poor schools, economic hardships and oil dependence, saying "failure of leadership" is to blame for not meeting the nation's challenges.

He further called the Iraq war a "tragic mistake" and said, "It's time to admit that no amount of American lives can resolve the political disagreement that lies at the heart of someone else's civil war. That's why I have a plan that will bring our combat troops home by March of 2008.

"Letting the Iraqis know that we will not be there forever is our last, best hope to pressure the Sunni and Shia to come to the table and find peace," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/10/obama.president/index.html

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Obama declares he's running for president
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 09:51:12 AM »
i know this isn't PC but there will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever in a million years be an black president.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 09:52:51 AM »
He's half white.   ::) 

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:01:30 AM »
He's half white.   ::) 
doesn't matter, white people will never trust this country to a man with any African American blood in him, that may be hard to hear bit it's the truth, there will be a white woman before a black president.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 10:07:38 AM »
doesn't matter, white people will never trust this country to a man with any African American blood in him, that may be hard to hear bit it's the truth, there will be a white woman before a black president.

I don't know about "never," but I agree that there are many bigot voters like you who would never vote for a man with a drop of "black" blood.  That's why I have always maintained that I don't think he can win. 

But I've softened my stance lately, because he has been lining up a lot of money (the most important thing he needs to win) and he has been drawing a lot of support across (Democrat) racial lines.  Also, he's probably the smartest candidate in the race at this point.  I'm actually willing to give him a fair shake.  I'm intrigued and await his elaboration on fiscal and social issues, especially taxes. 

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 10:10:20 AM »
This declaration, along with Billary running for the same spot....will almost GARAUNTEE the next 8 years will be a Republican in office.  Mark my words.
Sleep Big.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 02:46:21 PM »

This is a huge waste of time and money.  Obama needs to settle down, get behind an electable candidate NOW and work on getting the White House out of the hands of Bush and his crime syndicate.  If he wants to make a run for the White House in 2016, I might be more inclined to give him my full support.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 03:30:37 PM »
This is a huge waste of time and money.  Obama needs to settle down, get behind an electable candidate NOW and work on getting the White House out of the hands of Bush and his crime syndicate.  If he wants to make a run for the White House in 2016, I might be more inclined to give him my full support.

Exactly. All he'll accomplish in this run is burning out and fading away, and that's if he runs. What he should do is serve more time as a senator and then considering running in the near future.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »
Exactly. All he'll accomplish in this run is burning out and fading away, and that's if he runs. What he should do is serve more time as a senator and then considering running in the near future.

I disagree.  Although I question his experience, this is a golden opportunity.  The race is wide open.  There are no unbeatable candidates in the race.  Many of the Republican candidates are yawners.  I doubt he'll beat Hillary, but he has a puncher's chance.

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
  • The easiest person to deceive is one's own self
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 08:02:05 PM »
This secures the Democratic nomination for Hillary and if she so chooses and takes Obama with her, it secures the National election in a complete landslide.

It's up to her at this point.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 08:10:55 PM »
This secures the Democratic nomination for Hillary and if she so chooses and takes Obama with her, it secures the National election in a complete landslide.

Hillary/Obama wins the national election in a landslide? 

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »
Hillary/Obama wins the national election in a landslide? 

No question

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 09:07:58 PM »
No question

Bold prediction.  I don't think she can pull enough independents and Republicans to win the general, much less by a landslide.  Why do you think landslide? 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 09:11:34 PM »

The Crime Syndicate would *love* to see that ticket.  It would make a previously unwinnable election a cakewalk for Bush's successor.

I'm honestly looking for a Democrat worth voting for...the last several years have been a real bummer.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 09:44:33 PM »
BEFORE the Bush administration, I would have said there was absolutely no way a Hilary/Obama ticket would do anything.

NOW - after the 9/11 bullshit, the WMD lies, the impending Iran war, and the 2 wars we're losing, I think ANYONE who runs on a "end the war" platform will win.  And since Hilary has already said she'll have us out of Iraq in 2009, only a Repub who promised the same thing could win.

Before anyone starts a discussion on 9/11, no matter where you stand on it, the lies are starting to become obvious.  EMTs, an NYPD officer, military, executives, are now all saying there was a countdown to the collapse of WTC7, clearly making it a controlled demolition.  You have to look past 911 lies to elect Rudy, and past LT iraq war to elect McCain.  If you can do that, super.  But I don't think 50% of the nation will.

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 09:52:17 PM »
Bold prediction.  I don't think she can pull enough independents and Republicans to win the general, much less by a landslide.  Why do you think landslide? 

The Republicans have no one. Guliani and McCain do not have even close to the personal appeal nationally that Clinton does. The polls are being spun right now, you will see.

I know alot of people don't want to accept it yet, just like Bill's terms overcame any and all obstacles, Hillary will pick up steam, secure the Democratic nod, bring Obama on board and whichever uptight Republican with no personality they throw up against them will be fodder.

Unless she withdraws for some unknown reason, she will be President in 2008 with or without Obama, if she has him onboard, it will be a landslide. Mark it down.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 09:54:57 PM »
2006 showed that people will abandon their lifelong party, and candidates they've voted for repeatedly, because of the iraq War.

McCain = war hawk.
Newt = war hawk.
Guiliani = 911 questions are getting loud now, and his entry will give the 911 skeptics great motivation
Mitt Romney = I don't know.

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 09:59:16 PM »
The Republican party is finished in 2008. That's a guarantee. The only question was IF Hillary was going to run. They were keeping their fingers crossed she wouldn't, but everyone knew she would.

It's game over now, they know it, they will try for what it's worth to spin it or dig something up, but she's survived everything already, there's nothing they can do.

As Elvis would say "It's Over" 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 11:39:41 PM »
The Republicans have no one. Guliani and McCain do not have even close to the personal appeal nationally that Clinton does. The polls are being spun right now, you will see.

I know alot of people don't want to accept it yet, just like Bill's terms overcame any and all obstacles, Hillary will pick up steam, secure the Democratic nod, bring Obama on board and whichever uptight Republican with no personality they throw up against them will be fodder.

Unless she withdraws for some unknown reason, she will be President in 2008 with or without Obama, if she has him onboard, it will be a landslide. Mark it down.

I agree the Republican party is very vulnerable.  I was just looking at the candidates for both parties this morning and there is a "blah" factor with almost all of them.

Three problems I see with Hillary are (1) she is one of the most polarizing candidates in the race, (2) she is far too liberal to win over swing voters and any significant numbers of Democrats, and (3) she is a woman.

Also, she isn't the most dynamic person in the world.  She is definitely nowhere near the public speaker and charmer that Bill was.  She's much more bland and often comes across as a Queen Bee.  She's actually the reason I think McCain or Giuliani will probably win in 08.     

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 11:43:13 PM »
beach bum,

the war in iraq was by far the #1 issue in the 2006 election, where many repubs jumped parties and voted for dems they hated just to being home our troops.

If we're still at war, still losing, why is 2008 going to be any different?

It's easy to predict, but I have a 2006 election precedent saying people have put Iraq over their own party affil - that is incredible!   Why will a nation which lists Iraq as the #1 decider, of which 75% are against Bush's war now, suddenly vote 51% republican?  Kinda a stretch of the imagination there.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 11:57:02 PM »
beach bum,

the war in iraq was by far the #1 issue in the 2006 election, where many repubs jumped parties and voted for dems they hated just to being home our troops.

It's easy to predict, but I have a 2006 election precedent saying people have put Iraq over their own party affil - that is incredible!   Why will a nation which lists Iraq as the #1 decider, of which 75% are against Bush's war now, suddenly vote 51% republican?  Kinda a stretch of the imagination there.

I have seen no evidence that Republicans "jumped parties and voted for dems."  It may have happened, but I'm certainly not taking accepting it as fact coming from you.  I suspect that, if anything, Republicans stayed home. 

Yes the war was the no. 1 issue during the 06 elections and resulted in the turnover in Congress, but I doubt Hillary et al. will be able to run a single issue campaign in 08.  The war will not be over in 08.  There may be a RIF by then, but we'll still be fighting.  And we're not "losing."  That's absurd.  We went in to remove Saddam from power and that has been done.  The resulting morass and our failure to properly prepare for the aftermath of Saddam's removal (e.g., civil war) does not mean we are "losing."

Unless the Democrats, including Hillary, actually come up with a plan by 08, they will not be able to simply throw darts and run against the boogey man.  They have to DO something.  They haven't done squat yet, except propose a stupid "no confidence" resolution.  I think many voters will become restless with Democrats as the weeks and months wear on with no plan for Iraq.

Fact is we have not put a liberal in the White House since Jimmy Carter.  I just cannot see Hillary being the next liberal in the White House (in part for the reasons I stated earlier) unless a really bad candidate gets the Republican nomination (e.g., Newt Gingrich). 

Few things energize the base like a polarizing candidate, which Hillary certainly is.       

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 12:26:57 AM »

I would not be surprised to see a full pull out prior to or early in the 2008 primary season and possibly in enough time to have the effect boost up a Republican candidate.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 06:22:57 AM »
I would... Never a guy like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, that's a gimme, but I would trust a guy like Obama 1000 times more than I would trust or want another Bush in office ;D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 07:10:20 AM »

It's not really much of a stretch at all when you consider the number of quality Democratic candidates who have NOT stepped up. 

2006 was easy - just sign up and the race was yours, but these people are going to have to WORK to win in 2008. 

Assuming they lay this Hillary and Obama nonsense to rest and get someone out there, I will assume that the Dems have the inside track on the White House.  That is, give America an electable candidate and he's already looking at 43-44% of the vote from those who will select only from the 2 major party candidates. 

But the White House is its own puzzle next year and right now, I have no reason to believe that the congressional races will swing heavily for the Dems. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 08:04:24 AM »
I have seen no evidence that Republicans "jumped parties and voted for dems."  It may have happened, but I'm certainly not taking accepting it as fact coming from you.  I suspect that, if anything, Republicans stayed home. 

In some of the races, people won with a 55% or 60% clip, eith record turnouts.  It is statistically impossible for the Dems to have won with more votes and a higher percentage without eroding the repub base and grabbing those votes.  It's math, man.

Yes the war was the no. 1 issue during the 06 elections and resulted in the turnover in Congress, but I doubt Hillary et al. will be able to run a single issue campaign in 08.  The war will not be over in 08.  There may be a RIF by then, but we'll still be fighting.  And we're not "losing."  That's absurd.  We went in to remove Saddam from power and that has been done.  The resulting morass and our failure to properly prepare for the aftermath of Saddam's removal (e.g., civil war) does not mean we are "losing."

I think it'll actually be a MORE solidified issue in 2008.  You're likely going to have two candidates:  Hilary (We will leave the war this year) vs. McCain or Rudy (We will stay til we win).  The issue itself has polarized voters, and there is NO gray area.  You love the war, or you hate it.