Author Topic: Precontest Photos - Thoughts?  (Read 2702 times)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Precontest Photos - Thoughts?
« on: February 11, 2007, 09:22:09 AM »
What's your thoughts on people posting their precontest pics? We know the fans like to see them but does it help or hurt people by posting pics? On one hand an unknown posting photos and looking good creates some buzz going into a show - ala Phil Heath before Jr. Nationals. On the other hand when posting pics and not living up to the hype it's creates a bit of a backlash - insert any number of people's names here. Bob posted pics and video and created buzz around how he'd look going into the masters. We see the 2nd and 3rd tier guys posting their pics going into the shows but not the top tier guys. The only exception would be Jay last year going into the Olympia. We don't see any shots of Toney Freeman before this week's IRONMAN or Victor, Dexter, Phil before the Arnold.

Posting precontest pics: For or Against?

Elevate Your Image.™

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Precontest Photos - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 09:27:59 AM »
What's your thoughts on people posting their precontest pics? We know the fans like to see them but does it help or hurt people by posting pics? On one hand an unknown posting photos and looking good creates some buzz going into a show - ala Phil Heath before Jr. Nationals. On the other hand when posting pics and not living up to the hype it's creates a bit of a backlash - insert any number of people's names here. Bob posted pics and video and created buzz around how he'd look going into the masters. We see the 2nd and 3rd tier guys posting their pics going into the shows but not the top tier guys. The only exception would be Jay last year going into the Olympia. We don't see any shots of Toney Freeman before this week's IRONMAN or Victor, Dexter, Phil before the Arnold.

Why would it hurt?  They are going to show up anyways.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 09:30:50 AM »
def for!!

Who really know where/when Toney Freeman is competing?!??!

he has no "buzz" going about him
take Kamali good or bad he builds excitement (people place bets)
people attend the show!

The PRE-contest buzz is great

threads are made/people(athletes are talked about)......it helps one gain exposure

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 09:30:57 AM »
as long as we have Vince Goodrum posting pics I think the world 's gonna be fine... ;D
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »
*Before Marcus Haley starting posting his pre-contest pics  i had no clue who he was *

never heard of the guy.................

bbinsider

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 09:35:55 AM »
*Before Marcus Haley starting posting his pre-contest pics  i had no clue who he was *

never heard of the guy.................

You weren't missing anything.
The BBinsider

AVBG

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 09:45:09 AM »
I vote for posting pre contest pics.. It builds up the expectations for the fans especially coming into a new contest season.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 09:51:43 AM »
I see no reason not to. If someone were to post photos, and a rival of theirs saw their condition, would it make any difference as to how the placings went had they not seen the photos? If anything, if probably drives the competition forward- at least I would hope it would.
I'm for it. I like when people post the photos, even with the element of surprise being taken away from the stage come contest day. But I still think when someone disrobes backstage, after photos being posted, it can still have an effect that will mess with peoples minds- really the only reason I think people don't want to post photos aside from getting ripped on.

Buttsuck

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 09:56:03 AM »
The benefits out weigh the risks

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:44:22 AM »
Four months to get ready for a show. Now, count up the total "minutes" that a competitor is up on stage. Maybe a total of 5 to 10 not counting his posing routine. There are tons more pics of Arnold in the gym than up on stage. Why not take a crap load of pics and post them? Seems a waste not to. They should have no influence as far as the outcome of a show no matter what someone looks like. The day of the show is what should count, but it is nice to see the progression of things.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:02:34 AM »
I support it.

Now... someone give Rusty an Arnold Classic Invite!  Bring back aesthetics!

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 11:07:35 AM »

I think it's a good thing, cause when pros post their pre-contest pics, they're standing alone, under a different lighting than the stage will have and probably with a different level of conditioning they'll have onstage. This will lead to a lot of debate as to how they'd fare in comparison to another pro who's posted his pre-contest pics. All this definitely creates a 'buzz' about the contest and gives us (dare I say) fans something to talk / argue about.

And post-contest, the dissection of what happened or what could have possible gone wrong or how so and so looked incredible in comparison to his pre-contest shape all gives us plenty of material to talk, argue and laugh about.

Any way you see it, pre-contest pics are a good thing.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 11:13:58 AM »
as long as we have Vince Goodrum posting pics I think the world 's gonna be fine... ;D

Hey, where have you been, man?
HAHA, RON.....

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 04:31:35 PM »
I agree - I want to see the pics and if you look good, why not post it. Hell even if you look like Goodbum people still follow it. I'm all for posting pics and hope to see some Ronnie preview pics going into the Olympia. The fans haven't been treated to much going into the Arnold as far as what guys are looking like.

Pros - what's up speak on it, I know you're reading the boards.
Elevate Your Image.™

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
A lot of them prob don't post pics cos when they do they get so much shit from people.  There's always the decent people who give positive feedback but 90% of people just slag them off. 

However, some of the pro's build themselves up to be something special, claiming top 3 finishes every year then turn up looking like shit.  Remind you of anyone?   ;)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 06:03:50 PM »
They need reasurance from other people that is why they are posting their pics.
just push some weight!

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 06:08:53 PM »
They need reasurance from other people that is why they are posting their pics.
like yourself?  ???

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 09:11:37 PM »
It depends, but I'm more for the "any publicity is good publicity" boat--especially if you're an up-and-comer or lesser-known pro.  If you are a top tier competitor, it doesn't seem to matter if you don't post pre-contest photos since there will be buzz about you either way.  Not posting photos as a top guy may even generate more buzz since the aura of mystery adds to the situation.

SM

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 09:13:41 PM »

Amen to that mate
I am a mini beast

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 09:19:54 PM »
If they can take the heat that may be given out, by all means post them. It's cool for the fans to see and give opinions on their precontest pics, and as someone said, it's free publicity.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 09:51:25 PM »
So many changes happen in the last few days - heck - in the last few hours, that I don't see it making a difference one way or the other.  It just creates hype, which is probably a good thing.
:

UpTheDosage

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 12:15:41 AM »
99% of the time, the people posting pictures just need comments like, "looking huge dude!" or "you're gonna kick some ass!" for attention, and an ego boost to flee their insecurities. That is why nobody on getbig puts up pre-contest pics. We all know better. Save that shit for musclemayhem.