Author Topic: Fiscal responsibility: Bush putting USA in debt  (Read 3791 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Fiscal responsibility: Bush putting USA in debt
« on: February 12, 2007, 04:44:27 AM »
In the total 2.9 trillion budget, Bush proposed spending 23% of it, 0.6 trillions, on military, with much of that of course being the Iraq war.

23% percent of the total budget.

That's a lot of new teachers, police officer and tax cuts.

Hundreds of thousands of new teachers could be hired if the priorities were changed.

Bush is increasing the spending on the war in Iraq, the total cost for the war is close to 1 trillion right now, but saving money in other areas.

Such as Medicare and Medicaid.

Still, the budget has a 244 billion deficit. For this year alone.

Balancing the budget?

That will happen in 2012, according to Bush. ::)

-Hedge

As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Fiscal responsibility: Bush putting USA in debt
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 05:01:31 AM »
I beg anyone here to show us how the budget wll be balanced at this pace.

Really, I don't see many folks here defending the policy, as just about everyone knows its bullshit.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 06:43:11 AM »
Watch the some of the conservatives come on and say that the money would be better spent on fighting al-queda, rather than educating and treating worthless people.  ::) Yet they'll blame the dems for feeding illegals and not putting enough into education. Watch the contradictions unfold before your very eyes.

Bush's military keynesiam looks great except how are you gonna fix the debt this time around? Wont he be long gone by 2012? Looks like the burden will be on someone else's shoulders.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:07:27 AM »
Watch the some of the conservatives come on and say that the money would be better spent on fighting al-queda, rather than educating and treating worthless people.  ::) Yet they'll blame the dems for feeding illegals and not putting enough into education. Watch the contradictions unfold before your very eyes.

Bush's military keynesiam looks great except how are you gonna fix the debt this time around? Wont he be long gone by 2012? Looks like the burden will be on someone else's shoulders.

Vietnam redux
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:19:39 AM »
In the total 2.9 trillion budget, Bush proposed spending 23% of it, 0.6 trillions, on military, with much of that of course being the Iraq war.

23% percent of the total budget.

That's a lot of new teachers, police officer and tax cuts.

Hundreds of thousands of new teachers could be hired if the priorities were changed.

Bush is increasing the spending on the war in Iraq, the total cost for the war is close to 1 trillion right now, but saving money in other areas.

Such as Medicare and Medicaid.

Still, the budget has a 244 billion deficit. For this year alone.

Balancing the budget?

That will happen in 2012, according to Bush. ::)

-Hedge

What do we normally spend on defense?  I wouldn't be surprised if it is always our largest budget item. 

And I don't think the problem with education is the lack of federal funding.  We spend billions on education already. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »
I'll never understand why people from other countries like Sweden try to act like they know what's going on with our government from reading a few articles on cnn.com.

What do you want us to spend on defense? Nothing? The US's defense budget has always been a big cash guzzler. ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 07:22:16 AM »

The Burden of balancing the budget and clearing the gigantic debt will be on Clinton's shoulders again. This time, Hillary. :-\

BTW, I-One and anyone doubting my theory on Fox backing Hillary, should ask themselves why O'Reilly is bashing "the far left" these days instead of using "Democrats" as his punching bag.

Also, when was the last time Hillary was even remotedly critisized on Fox News?  :-\

I'm telling y'all, Murdoch is trying to sell you something you don't want!!

-Hedge

As empty as paradise

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 07:26:49 AM »
I'll never understand why people from other countries like Sweden try to act like they know what's going on with our government from reading a few articles on cnn.com.

What do you want us to spend on defense? Nothing? The US's defense budget has always been a big cash guzzler. ::)

That's what happens when you are the world's greatest and most powerful country. Like it or not, what goes on here is crucial to the rest of the world.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 07:31:24 AM »
What do we normally spend on defense?  I wouldn't be surprised if it is always our largest budget item. 

And I don't think the problem with education is the lack of federal funding.  We spend billions on education already. 

I think the military spending has increased with 50 or 60 % since 2001.

Meaning that the budget would be balanced without the increase in military spendings.

A lot of people put their kids in private schools. Obviously they don't feel that the public schools are adequate, and therefore spend extra money to get a better education.

Some schools are more expensive than others.

I also put the teachers up there just to show that the priorities are, IMO, wrong.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 07:32:28 AM »

Meaning that the budget would be balanced without the increase in military spendings.

A lot of people put their kids in private schools. Obviously they don't feel that the public schools are adequate, and therefore spend extra money to get a better education.

I also put the teachers up there just to show that the priorities are, IMO, wrong.

-Hedge

Enlighten me as to what we're supposed to do when terrorists fly 2 planes into the WTC, bright spot? Shrug it off and go about our business? ::)

Cue the 240 conspiracy bullshit.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 07:39:07 AM »

First of all:

I've lived in the US, and I know the constitution and domestic politics reasonably well.

But more importantly:

Whether or not I know anything about the US government has very little, if anything, to do with if I live in the USA or not.

Knowledge isn't something herediatary, it's not something you're born with. You could theoretically know more about ABBA than I do, even though I am Swedish, and you are not.

You actually seem like the kind of guy who knows a lot about ABBA.;) jk...

Just like Beach could be the shittiest surfer even though he lives in Hawaii.

Get my point?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 07:39:46 AM »

-Hedge

I'm sure we have spent more on defense since 911, but I do believe defense is probably always the largest budget item (not sure).  

And yes many parents, including me, put their kids in private school.  It is expensive as heck, but worth it IMO.

I don't think education, or much else, is being sacrificed for the war.  Just looking at the raw numbers is too simplistic IMO.  For instance, I don't think it's fair to say that if we didn't spend 100 billion on the war next year that that same money would be earmarked for education.  There are too many politicians trying to bring home the bacon to their constituents for that to happen.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 07:42:05 AM »
Just like Beach could be the shittiest surfer even though he lives in Hawaii.

-Hedge

LOL.  Ding!   ;D  I don't surf.  The hours I spend at the beach are in my hammock, while my brats swim and boogie board. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 07:42:43 AM »
Enlighten me as to what we're supposed to do when terrorists fly 2 planes into the WTC, bright spot? Shrug it off and go about our business? ::)

Cue the 240 conspiracy bullshit.

No, I know what I saw that day. A plane hit the second building.

Perhaps going after the terrorists would've been a good idea. Using counter-terrorist intelligence, hunting down the threats. Then eliminating them, one by one.

I mean, instead of waging a war on Iraq.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »
the defense spending isnt that much higher htan normal.  I prefer to see it kept as high as possible.
Valhalla awaits.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »
You are wrong.

the defense spending isnt that much higher htan normal.  I prefer to see it kept as high as possible.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 12:25:11 PM »
No, I know what I saw that day. A plane hit the second building.

Perhaps going after the terrorists would've been a good idea. Using counter-terrorist intelligence, hunting down the threats. Then eliminating them, one by one.

I mean, instead of waging a war on Iraq.

-Hedge

Pretty sure we did. Iraq came after Afghanistan. Get with the times.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 12:48:33 PM »
Pretty sure we did. Iraq came after Afghanistan. Get with the times.

You are incorrect.

The Iraq war wasn't officially started because of the attack on the WTC.

It made the US and world opinion more accepting to the idea, but the "excuse" for going into Iraq was that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

The only weapon that was ever found, was obsolute biological stuff, and in small quantities, stuff that Hussein were able to use on his own people.

No long or middle distance robots were ever found.

USA started the war while UN's inspectors were prowling throughout Iraq, searching the hideouts.

And most importantly: No established connection between Al Qaida and Saddam Hussein has ever been proven, despite all the tries of the Bush Administration.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 12:53:51 PM »
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2007/overview.html

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2007/defense.html

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2007/tables.html

Provides $439.3 billion for the Department of Defense’s base budget—a 7-percent increase over 2006 and a 48-percent increase over 2001—to maintain a high level of military readiness, develop and procure new weapon systems to ensure U.S. battlefield superiority, and support our servicemembers and their families;

01 defense was 302.5/643.8= 47%

07 defense projected 410.8/843.3= 49%
Z

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 12:55:28 PM »
You are incorrect.

The Iraq war wasn't officially started because of the attack on the WTC.

It made the US and world opinion more accepting to the idea, but the "excuse" for going into Iraq was that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

The only weapon that was ever found, was obsolute biological stuff, and in small quantities, stuff that Hussein were able to use on his own people.

No long or middle distance robots were ever found.

USA started the war while UN's inspectors were prowling throughout Iraq, searching the hideouts.

And most importantly: No established connection between Al Qaida and Saddam Hussein has ever been proven, despite all the tries of the Bush Administration.

-Hedge

They did find 500 mustard gas shells in 2003, other than that your right.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200499,00.html
Z

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 12:58:01 PM »
They did find 500 mustard gas shells in 2003, other than that your right.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200499,00.html

Was that stuff any threat to the United States? There's a pretty big difference between mustard gas and nuclear bombs..

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 04:26:19 PM »
the defense spending isnt that much higher htan normal. 

???

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 04:35:02 PM »

Even if it means financing the increased spending by accumulating more debt? The US gov. debt has increased by 8,7 times between 1981 - 2005. Do you call that intelligent thinking?
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 04:39:33 PM »
Even if it means financing the increased spending by accumulating more debt? The US gov. debt has increased by 8,7 times between 1981 - 2005. Do you call that intelligent thinking?

math is for terrorists.

you're either with us, or you're with the calculators.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 04:41:53 PM »

math is for terrorists.

you're either with us, or you're with the calculators.

;D ;D ;D
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!