Author Topic: Law school program analyzes convictions  (Read 1478 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Law school program analyzes convictions
« on: February 12, 2007, 07:28:33 AM »
This is a good project, but as I've said before, the numbers are really a drop in the bucket (about 190 convictions overturned). 

Law school program analyzes convictions
Innocence Project lawyers have helped free about 190 inmates

By Alexandre Da Silva
adasilva@starbulletin.com
University of Hawaii law students and professors are reviewing the cases of about two dozen Hawaii inmates through a project that recently helped free a California man who spent 20 years in jail.

The William S. Richardson School of Law received a $3,500 grant this year from the Hawaii Justice Foundation to support the school's Hawaii Innocence Project. Hawaii is one of the last states to adopt the program, which claims to have exonerated more than 190 people across the country, including 14 who were sentenced to death.

Under the project, which was launched here in 2005, UH students, professors as well as public and private criminal defense lawyers partner with California staffers to investigate and litigate criminal cases where there is compelling evidence of innocence.

No isle inmate has been exonerated since the project started, because it takes many years to close most cases, said Justin Brooks, of the California Innocence Project at California Western School of Law.

As an example, Brooks said he worked for about four years to reverse the murder conviction of Timothy Atkins, a 41-year-old California inmate released from prison Friday after spending two decades in prison for a crime he did not commit.

When he was 19, Atkins was convicted of shooting a man during an attempted carjacking on New Year's Day 1986. But the conviction was thrown out because a key witness recently admitted she was lying when she told police Atkins had been an accomplice in the killing.

"Just like Hawaii, we didn't have any (exonerations) for a few years because it takes that long," Brooks said. "I suspect we are going to get some exonerations out there as well because Hawaii hasn't been doing DNA for as long as California has."

Recent advancements in DNA analysis -- including mitochondrial tests of hair strands missing the root -- have become critical to solving old convictions, Brooks said.

Virginia Hench, a UH law professor who heads the state's innocence program, said the convictions of about 25 inmates being examined were screened by staffers at California Western. UH is partnering with the mainland school, which processes about 1,000 cases each year, because UH did not have enough resources to run the project on its own.

Hench could not provide details on the Hawaii cases, but said that all have a chance of being reversed and include murders and rapes.

Prisoners "are not even eligible unless they have long sentences," Hench said. "All of them are serious crimes. We don't get parking tickets."

Brook Hart, a Honolulu criminal defense attorney, said the project takes students through all steps of a case, from interviewing inmates in prison, speaking to prosecutors, tracking down witnesses and gathering evidence.

"It's an excellent vehicle for students to learn how to avoid huge mistakes as lawyers," he said. "We are looking for actual innocence, but we are also looking for mistakes that may have compromised the fairness of a person's trial to the extent that they ought to have a new trial."

http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/12/news/story03.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Law school program analyzes convictions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 10:40:37 PM »
14 people were executed, then later proven to be not guilty?

Wow, helluva case against capital punishment.

Also, what's the budget of that firm that got 190 people freed of their bullshit charges?  If they had ten times the budget, would they get 2000 WRONG convictions overturned?  Would 100 times the $ have led to 20,000 wronlgy imprisoned folks?

Slippery slope here.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 12:08:10 AM »
14 people were executed, then later proven to be not guilty?

Wow, helluva case against capital punishment.

Reading comprehension skills failing you again 240.  They were exonerated while on death row.  They weren't executed.  Geeze . . . .  ::)   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 03:50:54 AM »
sorry.  i need a shot of whiskey to get thru your threads most of the time.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 04:22:02 AM »
It's still a case against the capital punishment.

Because what has happened prior to this analysis?

Sure, in the best of worlds, not one innocent was executed. But does anyone really believe that?

I don't for a minute.

This project found 14 innocent on death row.

How many innocent people have been killed over the years?

We will never know.

It's not a question about whether death penalty is fair or not, if it's a good sentence. You could be either pro or con.

The problem is that as long as there is a risk of an innocent getting killed, death penalty is out of the question.

The only people who would be in favor of a death penalty these days, are people who believe that "you need to crack some eggs to make an omelette".

I happen to agree on that. When it comes to backdoor sex - not crime fighting.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 07:36:35 AM »
It's still a case against the capital punishment.

Because what has happened prior to this analysis?

Sure, in the best of worlds, not one innocent was executed. But does anyone really believe that?

I don't for a minute.

This project found 14 innocent on death row.

How many innocent people have been killed over the years?

We will never know.

It's not a question about whether death penalty is fair or not, if it's a good sentence. You could be either pro or con.

The problem is that as long as there is a risk of an innocent getting killed, death penalty is out of the question.

The only people who would be in favor of a death penalty these days, are people who believe that "you need to crack some eggs to make an omelette".

I happen to agree on that. When it comes to backdoor sex - not crime fighting.

-Hedge

I obviously don't believe we should execute an innocent person, but as far as I know that hasn't happened.  And support for the death penalty isn't "the all or nothing proposition" you stated.  Personally, I think it is about punishment, accountability, deterrence, justice (and a few other adjectives I can't think of at the moment). 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »
I obviously don't believe we should execute an innocent person, but as far as I know that hasn't happened. 

Statistically, it is very highly likely that it has.

At the very least, can you admit that much?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 07:51:07 AM »
Statistically, it is very highly likely that it has.

At the very least, can you admit that much?

So you are an anti-death penalty Republican.  Let's see:  must raise taxes to fix the economy, anti-military, pro homosexual marriage (I think?), anti-death penalty.  You are probably "pro choice" too?  Weirdest Republican I've ever heard of.  Or are you a libertarian this week?   

And you're setting up a straw man.  There are no statistics on the execution of an innocent person.   ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 09:13:02 AM »
So you are an anti-death penalty Republican.  Let's see:  must raise taxes to fix the economy, anti-military, pro homosexual marriage (I think?), anti-death penalty.  You are probably "pro choice" too?  Weirdest Republican I've ever heard of. 

You just described Rudy Guiliani pretty well!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 09:25:06 AM »
You just described Rudy Guiliani pretty well!

Rudi is an anti-military, tax and spend, anti-death penalty Republican?  News to me.   ::)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »
I obviously don't believe we should execute an innocent person, but as far as I know that hasn't happened.  And support for the death penalty isn't "the all or nothing proposition" you stated.  Personally, I think it is about punishment, accountability, deterrence, justice (and a few other adjectives I can't think of at the moment). 

I think that there is a legit discussion and case both for and against a death penalty.

As long as innocents aren't getting on death row.

To me, if 14 persons where exonerated from this project alone, it indicates that the safety of the legal system currently isn't high enough to use death penalty.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise