Author Topic: 240 - I'll Cut You A Deal  (Read 1444 times)

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
240 - I'll Cut You A Deal
« on: February 12, 2007, 03:50:13 PM »
How about this, and let me know if it's fair:

I'll watch Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, if you read Michael Crichton's State of Fear.

I know a book takes a little more time (and maybe money if you can't borrow it), but I think it would be interesting for us both to come back to one another afterwards and debate it in a new thread.

Obviously, if you've already read the book, I'll go ahead and watch the movie.

PS. I realise Crichton's work is officially fiction (as opposed to Gore's), but it does contain loads of referenced facts, which you're welcome to check up.
Thread Killer

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: 240 - I'll Cut You A Deal
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
Wasn't State of Fear made into a movie, ...or was someother piece of his work?

btw - was that the novel that had terrorists crashing a plane into the whitehouse?
the very same theory Rice said "Absolutely no one could have thought up such a scenario"?
w

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 03:57:28 PM »
Wasn't State of Fear made into a movie, ...or was someother piece of his work?

btw - was that the novel that had terrorists crashing a plane into the whitehouse?
the very same theory Rice said "Absolutely no one could have thought up such a scenario"?

No, Jag - not as far as I know, anyway.  Crichton's work tends to get mauled when adapted to film (eg. Timeline)
Thread Killer

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
No, Jag - not as far as I know, anyway.  Crichton's work tends to get mauled when adapted to film (eg. Timeline)

{LOL} Since when is that not the case? I can't tell you how disappointed I was with Ron's "DaVinci code."
w

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
{LOL} Since when is that not the case? I can't tell you how disappointed I was with Ron's "DaVinci code."

I never got swept up the da Vinci tide, but books are very prone to interpretation (just ask any Islamicist), so we often get disappointed with the results.
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
I did read the Crichton piece (i think). the long one where he talks about chernobyl, global warming, and other things being part of the earth's cycle?  y2k, etc?

It was a great read.  

personally, I think the thing the readers should exit 'an inconvenient truth' with is 1) an acceptance that things are changing 2) an understanding the rise in water is real 3) the realization that the rising waters will affect nations.  Aside from regional issues, the simple fact that some of the most valuable land in the world will now have a death date.  I mean damn... NYC will expire! lol...

they should exit crichtons' piece with a bit of levity, and settle the fk down.

they should then read the UN piece, and 1) start to put their heads together as to what we can do to slow it 2) figure out how to protect valuable cities

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »
I did read the Crichton piece (i think). the long one where he talks about chernobyl, global warming, and other things being part of the earth's cycle?  y2k, etc?

It was a great read.  

personally, I think the thing the readers should exit 'an inconvenient truth' with is 1) an acceptance that things are changing 2) an understanding the rise in water is real 3) the realization that the rising waters will affect nations.  Aside from regional issues, the simple fact that some of the most valuable land in the world will now have a death date.  I mean damn... NYC will expire! lol...

they should exit crichtons' piece with a bit of levity, and settle the fk down.

they should then read the UN piece, and 1) start to put their heads together as to what we can do to slow it 2) figure out how to protect valuable cities

Soooo, will you read the book?
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 04:18:50 PM »
Soooo, will you read the book?

sure.  i didn't know there was a book.  was it like that pdf?

I'm leaning both sides - neocons and treehuggers - will both ask for extremes, cause if they only get half of what they wish for, chances are they achieve their initial goals.

also, both sides are drama queen bitches, as are the people here who espout these extremist views.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 04:29:50 PM »
sure.  i didn't know there was a book.  was it like that pdf?

I'm leaning both sides - neocons and treehuggers - will both ask for extremes, cause if they only get half of what they wish for, chances are they achieve their initial goals.

also, both sides are drama queen bitches, as are the people here who espout these extremist views.

The book, State of Fear, is a New York Times Bestseller. See Amazon.com for more.
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 04:36:35 PM »
The book, State of Fear, is a New York Times Bestseller. See Amazon.com for more.

cool.  anything else you recommend?  i'm doing an order this week also.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 04:40:47 PM »
cool.  anything else you recommend?  i'm doing an order this week also.

Absolutely, mate - Mark Steyn's America Alone.  This book will change the way you view the world, I mean it.  I think you'd really enjoy it, 240.
Thread Killer