Author Topic: Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired  (Read 9060 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired
« on: February 12, 2007, 06:26:16 PM »
Weird timing. 

Updated: Feb. 12, 2007, 9:13 PM ET
Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer firedESPN.com news services

Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 06:42:55 PM »
I was just about to post this....

Holy Crap, wow... Is this the dumbest mistake you've seen from a team?  Their best season ever... Fire the coatch... LOL....

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 06:46:10 PM »
wtf  ???

how does this even make sense?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 06:48:47 PM »
Overdue. The team had no serious prospects with him, proved it with the bumbled home playoff loss. Assuming they already have someone else reasonable in mind.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »
Tell me about it.  I think this was the result of an ongoing struggle between Marty and the GM.  Marty didn't agree with letting Brees go.  Rivers was the GM's guy.  Marty actually went public with his criticism.  At the end of the day, if you cannot get along with someone who is higher up on the food chain, you have to find someplace else to work.  Still a dumb move though.  

But I have a buddy who is a die hard Chargers fan who hates Marty.  Apparently a lot of Chargers fans don't like him.  They'll be happy.  

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 06:51:53 PM »
Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was fired Monday night in a shocking move by team president Dean Spanos, who cited a "dysfunctional situation" between the coach and general manager A.J. Smith.

Less than a month after San Diego's NFL-best 14-2 season was wrecked in a playoff loss to New England, Spanos cited the exodus of both coordinators and other assistants in firing Schottenheimer, who had a year left on his contact.

"The process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager," Spanos said in a statement. "In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation."

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 06:52:59 PM »
Poor judgement, poor coaching:

-Letting Brees go.

-Bumbling a 14-2 season the very first playoff game - at home - the last few minutes!

-Calling LT the very best back in the history of the NFL... ::)

-Don't continue with a "dysfunctional" relationship with the GM after that bumbled playoff loss..

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 06:55:38 PM »
-Letting Brees go.
-14-2 losing the very first playoff game at home!
-Calling LT the very best back in the history of the NFL... ::)

Marty had nothing to do with letting Brees go.  He wanted to keep Brees.  That was A.J. Smith's call.   

body88

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 07:12:34 PM »
Schottenheimer is a chokster in the playoffs. This move was overdue. Not to mention the chargers lost both there offensive and defensive coordinators.

People act like this is the first time Marty has screwed  up with an extremely talented team. The guy is 5 - 13 in the postseason. Marty has had talent up the wazu on his teams. The chargers dont need a great regular season record. They need someone who can take them to the next level. Marty have proven he is not that guy. He is a great coach, but his failures in the "big games"  (aka playoffs)  are quite evident.

I for one am crushed. As an AFC contender, we where all in love with the Idea of Marty coaching the chargers, with both his coordinators gone. I think the rest of the AFC felt the same.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:55:03 PM »
Marty had nothing to do with letting Brees go.  He wanted to keep Brees.  That was A.J. Smith's call.   

The idea that a key trade's out of the coach's hands doesn't hold water to me. If Marty didn't want him to leave he could've taken a stand to ensure he stayed.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 10:25:44 PM »
Brilliant; he was offered a one-year extension after the playoff loss, which is more than fair considering the context, and said no:

Schottenheimer was offered a one-year contract extension through 2008 several days after the playoff loss, but he turned it down, unhappy with the terms, and knowing that a one-year extension would hardly make him more secure. Things became more tenuous for Schottenheimer when his top two assistants left after the season to become head coaches. Cam Cameron, the offensive coordinator, was hired as coach of the Dolphins on Jan. 19, and the defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was hired last week as coach of the Cowboys.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 12:00:20 AM »
The idea that a key trade's out of the coach's hands doesn't hold water to me. If Marty didn't want him to leave he could've taken a stand to ensure he stayed.

It wasn't a trade.  They let Brees walk.  I'll find the link to the story, but I specifically recall reading about the power struggle between Marty and A.J. Smith, including the decision to let Brees walk. 

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 12:06:27 AM »
It wasn't a trade.  They let Brees walk.  I'll find the link to the story, but I specifically recall reading about the power struggle between Marty and A.J. Smith, including the decision to let Brees walk. 
dam rights the chargers not marty let brees walk

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 05:24:50 AM »
Schottenheimer is a chokster in the playoffs.

Scottenheimer had the Chiefs in so many freaking playoff games and never managed to do jackshit.
The House that Ruth built

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 05:44:20 AM »
if they were going to fire him they should've done it a fucking month ago

the combine is just around the corner and there staff isn't even put together ::)

eli and archie were right this franchise is a joke

E
E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 05:52:29 AM »

Even worse, they got nothing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 07:25:10 AM »
Even worse, they got nothing.

And it was A.J Smith who let him walk for nothing:

Bolts coach wonders if club's on same page
By Jim Trotter
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
February 26, 2006

Associated Press
While seemingly everyone else was offering an opinion on the Drew Brees situation the past few weeks, Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was relatively quiet.
INDIANAPOLIS – While seemingly everyone else was offering an opinion on the Drew Brees situation the past few weeks, Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was relatively quiet.

Not so yesterday.

Choosing his words carefully, and pausing at times to weigh their potential impact, Schottenheimer said he wants Brees back and believes the Chargers will be even stronger with him.

Later, he acknowledged an icy relationship with General Manager A.J. Smith and said he was uncertain if everyone in the organization is pulling in the same direction.

“I think it's important that there always be communication between the coach and the general manager,” he said during a break at the annual NFL Scouting Combine. “I've sought to see that realized, but, quite frankly, there hasn't been as much communication as I would like.

“I think we all understand that ours is a very difficult, competitive enterprise, and in my opinion it's important that everybody is aimed in the same direction.”
Is that the case with the Chargers?

“We'll have to maybe wait and see,” he said.

The statements were eye-opening because Schottenheimer normally is guarded when speaking about the team or the organization. His modus operandi is to accentuate the positive, ignore the negative – at least in public.

Yesterday marked the first time Schottenheimer has candidly discussed his working relationship with Smith.

“In my opinion, the important thing for all of us – for our football team – is that we all have a common purpose and understanding of what we want to do, and then have a plan that can be implemented to achieve it,” he said. “As I said earlier, those decisions that I am a part of, or responsible for, will always be driven by one thing: What's in the best interest of the San Diego Chargers? To me, that's winning.”

In January, one week after the Chargers finished 9-7 and failed to make the playoffs, club President Dean Spanos expressed his disappointment but said: “I feel very confident going into next year. I know we're going to win. . . . I don't think anyone in the organization expects anything less than to win next year – the playoffs and to succeed in the playoffs.”

If that is the mandate for Schottenheimer, who has two years and nearly $8 million remaining on his contract, then his job could be a lot tougher without Brees, a former Pro Bowler who is 21-11 as a starter the past two seasons.

Normally teams don't allow 27-year-old, Pro Bowl-caliber quarterbacks to test the market without protection, but the Chargers elected to do so because of what Smith calls “medical concerns” about Brees' throwing shoulder, which was surgically repaired after he tore his labrum in the season finale.

The sides have until Thursday night to agree on a contract; otherwise Brees would become an unrestricted free agent and free to sign with another club. If he departs, 2004 first-round draft choice Philip Rivers would assume the starting job.

Rivers has no career starts and just 30 career pass attempts, but Smith believes he has tremendous potential, which is the primary reason the Chargers traded for him two years ago at the NFL draft. A popular rumor making the rounds at the Combine is that Smith favors Rivers and is using the “medical concerns” excuse as means to get the youngster on the field.

“I wouldn't care if it's Philip Rivers or Drew Brees leading us to a championship and holding a Super Bowl trophy over his head,” Smith said yesterday. “I wouldn't care if A.J. Feeley was called upon and led us to a championship and held that Super Bowl trophy over his head. Whoever it is doesn't matter to me, as long as it's a Charger and the Chargers are winning. Philip is not my guy; the three of them are. That's why we want all three on the roster. I don't have a favorite.”

Schottenheimer also said he wants all three to return, adding that Brees would be the starter if healthy.

“In my opinion, we're better off if Drew Brees is here,” he said. “We've all come to realize that it takes more than one quality quarterback in this league to be successful. If he's able to recover from this injury – and I'm optimistic about that – I think it gives us an advantage.”

Schottenheimer refused to speculate whether the Chargers – who with a little tweaking have the potential to make a deep run in the playoffs – would take a step back with Rivers behind center.

“I don't know that you can say that,” he said. “I would think that history would indicate that (you would struggle some), but every situation is different. That would be pure speculation on my part.

“What I do know is, we've certainly gone through a process in the development of Drew to get him to where he is, and it's very difficult to condense that time frame.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060226-9999-1s26chargers.html

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 07:46:06 AM »
brees injured his shoulder at the end of last season and was thought to be damaged goods so I don't consider it to be a terrible move letting him go, especially since they invested alot in rivers

E
E

body88

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 08:09:41 AM »
brees injured his shoulder at the end of last season and was thought to be damaged goods so I don't consider it to be a terrible move letting him go, especially since they invested alot in rivers

E

I agree, its not like Rivers didn't turn out to be a good QB. With Breeze's injury situation, and the ability of Rivers at the time it was not a bad move. Still not a bad move.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 08:09:54 AM »

E

Earl with consistently bad judgement. It was precisely this kind of flawed reasoning that made  New Orleans' season.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »
This is one of the worst examples of bad timing I have ever seen.  It's like a hot chick breaking up with her boyfriend the night before the prom.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 08:15:55 AM »
Earl with consistently bad judgement. It was precisely this kind of flawed reasoning that made  New Orleans' season.

hahaha it is hilarious the way you love to be wrong

are you some sort of a sick twisted masochist that enjoys being owned?

rivers made the pro bowl his first year as a starter

brees played well against inferior nfc competition and just made the nfc championship whooptie fuckin do ::)

10-6 in the nfc is the equivalent to 7-9 in the afc

brees just got injured in the friggin pro bowl which proves what a sissy nancy boy he is

the chargers finally made a good move by letting him go 8)

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 08:23:33 AM »
Got a lot of family in St louis who are die hard Chiefs fans. I pains them to even discuss the playoff failures during Schotty's tenure there.

1995 13-3 record and home field advantage in the playoffs. Drop their first game to the 6 seeded Colts 10-7.

1997 13-3 record and home field advantage. Drop their first playoff game to the eventual Super Bowl champs, the Denver Broncos 14-10.

His best postseason year came in 1993 when he had some guy named Montana quarterbacking his team. Made it to the AFC title game before losing to Buffalo.

The guy simply can't get it done when it counts.

I'm not even mentioning his Cleveland Browns teams!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 08:32:56 AM »
Further proof that the NFL embraces mediocre coaching considering his long career.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 09:21:50 AM »
This is one of the worst examples of bad timing I have ever seen.  It's like a hot chick breaking up with her boyfriend the night before the prom.

I agree.  They just lost both coordinators too.  I think I read this is the first time in NFL history that a coach who won at least 14 games was fired.