Author Topic: Arnold Admits that he should've LOST in 1980  (Read 4710 times)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
Re: Arnold Admits that he should've LOST in 1980
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »
Did I miss something...?

I don't remember Arnold saying he should have lost....

just like you and Rusty, arnold should have lost
Here comes the money shot

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 02:08:32 PM »
Mike Mentzer was never an Objectivist in the real sense. He just rehashed a lot of the things Ayn Rand said, trying to make himself appear like he was an intellectual. All he did was 'borrow' from Ayn Rand and Arthur Jones - similar to Peter Keating or to give a concrete example, how Adonis tries to pass off Jenny Craig's diet system as his own ::)

not to mention the number of people who followed his completely loony bin "theories" near the end and got any success from them can be counted on a hand that's missing all of its fingers. it's hard to imagine if a lot of his "principles" came about out of an anger at arnold and bodybuilding in general, so he was more interested in coming up with something revolutionary than he was in prescribing what simply worked.

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
  • Si vis pacem, Para bellum.
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 02:50:30 PM »
So in essence, Arnold killed Mike Mentzer.

By that "essence", so did Joe Weider, Eugene Sandow and Charles Atlas. Maybe even Cook, since the 1980 was in Australia.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
I remember in highschool reading about Mike Mentzer, Ayn Rand and their "objectivist" philosophy so I asked my English teacher about Ayn Rand...He said to me and I quote "she is a cvnt"

Mike Mentzer spent all of his time wondering why 1+1 didn't equal 2 1/2 and not on things that actually mattered

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 03:53:26 PM »
I believe the 1980 Olympia drove Mike to commit suicide.  So in essence, Arnold killed Mike Mentzer.

He died of heart failure more than 15 years after the Mr. O.

So in essence, you are an idiot.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 05:14:42 PM »
Mike held on to that defeat until the day he died probably.  So in essence, Arnold stole Mike's will to live and Mike turned to crystal meth to ease his pain.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
Mike was a meth head long before the 80 Olympia.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »
He died of heart failure more than 15 years after the Mr. O.

Yes, of a broken heart.  :'(

1980 REALLY got to him.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 06:45:02 PM »
Cite your resources. Not that FLEX is the best source, but they reported Mike died due to a heart attack, and that Ray was so stricken with grief that he was missing his dialysis treatments and most likely died due to his kidneys. But they still ruled Ray's death as mysterious.
I've never seen anything stating differently. So....cite your sources "Royalty."

I read it on the internet when it happened.....I concede that the sites that I read the information on may have been wrong.

But Ray did die within 48 hours of Mike...I does seem odd that Ray's kidneys gave out within 48 hours of Mikes heart failure.

Fletch

• Getbig II
  • You must be very proud of yourself
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »
He didnt "admit" anything...he said that it was close, and that he pulled it off by posing his ass off and getting the crowd into it during the evening show. Pearl let him know that he was in 3rd in pre-judge, so arnold turned it up at the finals, game over

How is that an admission?  Besides - who else could have won? skinny Zane? chestless blocky Mentzer? They were all B class BBs as soon as arnold showed.
Put it on the Underhills

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »
I read it on the internet when it happened.....I concede that the sites that I read the information on may have been wrong.

But Ray did die within 48 hours of Mike...I does seem odd that Ray's kidneys gave out within 48 hours of Mikes heart failure.

Yes, I read it on the net too. And in magazines as well. None of them said anything like you said in your first post.
However, it is very odd to me as well, that Ray died so closely after Mike passed. No matter if it was kidney failure, "broken heart" because his brother and best friend just died, or just because the stress of the whole situation aggravated a possible unknown condition. Odd yes, but we'll probably never know since the whole case has pretty much been swept under the rug these days.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2007, 09:51:18 PM »
I know Mike dies of a car accident, what did Ray die of?
mike died of heart failure and it appears ray died of a broken heart(maybe he stopped going to dialysis to end it?)

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »
Did I miss something...?

I don't remember Arnold saying he should have lost....

well some folks around here hear something they don't like and they just change it around,
that's good to know it.... will save a lot of discussions when trying to proove a point.

cqfd

• Getbig II
  • cylindrical waists suck!
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 03:11:10 PM »
Mike was a meth head long before the 80 Olympia.

which could explain his paranoia and the whole mess his loss at the 80 olympia led him to.

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
  • WILL HARRIS: BRINGING GAY BACK!
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 04:05:07 PM »
why was ray on dialysis? wat caused it?
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

LongtimeLurker

• Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 09:14:47 AM »
What was sad was that Mike Mentzer forever judged himself by the outcome of of that physique contest. He never really got over that show. According to Dave Fischer, years later Mike Mentzer still would talk about that 1980 Olympia and bash Arnold at seminars. This guy was supposed to be so smart and so philisophical but he couldnt come to terms with losing a male beauty pageant

I agree.  I think this is a fairly objective view and it should serve as a lesson about the possible negative risks of over-obsession in any endeavor.