Author Topic: Mitt Romney enters race - dropping lots of religious keywords  (Read 1162 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Mitt Romney enters race - dropping lots of religious keywords
« on: February 13, 2007, 07:07:46 AM »
he's shooting for mccain's hard right base.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: Mitt Romney enters race - dropping lots of religious keywords
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:14:18 AM »
I liked it when he had to weasel away from a direct question about whether he wears the sacred Mormon underwear that we local heathens refer to as "Jesus jammies".

He knew he was fu#ked either way. If he didn't, he's a hypocrite. If he did, he's a lunatic cult member.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:31:05 AM »
I wonder if a Morman can win the Republican primary . . . or the general election? 

Romney kicks off White House bid
POSTED: 9:30 a.m. EST, February 13, 2007
Story Highlights• Former Massachusetts governor announces his bid from his native Michigan
• Mitt Romney has been trying to beef up his credentials with conservatives
• Candidate's Mormon faith could be a campaign issue
Adjust font size:
DEARBORN, Michigan (CNN) -- Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney returned to his native state of Michigan on Tuesday to kick off his bid officially for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination.

Romney evoked memories of his father, former Michigan Gov. George Romney, as he spoke from the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. His presidential bid comes 40 years after his late father made an unsuccessful fun for the GOP nomination in 1968.

He said he chose the site of his announcement because of the memories and the examples of innovation that it contained.

"Innovation and transformation have been at the heart of America's success," Romney said. "If there ever was a time when innovation and transformation were needed in government, it is now."

Romney was to follow his announcement with a four-day, six-state tour that was to include stops in three crucial early primary and caucus states -- Iowa, South Carolina and New Hampshire -- as well as Massachusetts and Florida.

The telegenic Romney, 59, who was a successful venture capitalist before entering politics, finished a single term as Massachusetts' governor in January, after opting not to seek re-election. He was elected to the top post in the overwhelmingly Democratic Bay State in 2002 after leading a successful turnaround effort at the scandal-plagued Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah.

For the past two years, Romney -- who was seen as a moderate when he was elected in 2002 -- has been trying to buff up his credentials with conservatives, leading some critics to accuse him of changing his positions in anticipation of a White House bid. (Watch how Romney has tried to appeal to conservatives )

"His rhetoric and his positions on (issues) like abortion, like gay rights, like stem cell research totally changed when he decided his focus should be on conservative votes across the country," said Massachusetts House Speaker Salvatore Dimasi, a Democrat.

When he ran for governor, Romney said that while he was personally opposed to abortion, he would not try to change Massachusetts' abortion laws. But in 2005, he wrote in the Boston Globe that his views had "evolved and deepened" and that states should be allowed to decide whether to keep abortion legal. He also vetoed a bill to allow embryonic stem-cell research.

"On abortion, I was not always a Ronald Reagan conservative," Romney said. "Neither was Ronald Reagan, by the way. But like him, I learned with experience."

In 1994, when he was making an uphill bid to unseat Sen. Ted Kennedy, Romney expressed support for a proposed federal law banning discrimination against gay men and lesbians. But when Massachusetts' highest court legalized same-sex marriage in 2003, Romney became a vociferous opponent of extending marriage to gay men and lesbians, saying it threatened to undermine the American family.

The Web site for Romney's presidential exploratory committee features this quote from the former governor, emblazoned in a banner next to his photo across the home page: "America cannot continue to lead the family of nations around the world if we suffer the collapse of the family here at home."

Unlike the two GOP presidential candidates now neck-and-neck at the top of the polls, Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Romney supports a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage -- a proposal near and dear to evangelical conservatives who play a major role in Republican presidential politics.

However, as Romney tries to woo those voters, his own religion may present an obstacle.

Romney is a member of the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly known as the Mormon Church, which is viewed by some conservative evangelicals as a non-Christian, cult-like organization.

"I think there will be attacks on Romney that will be launched by third-party groups about his religion," said David Magelby, a political science professor at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, a Mormon institution where Romney received a bachelor's degree in 1971. "I think that's almost a certainty."

Rick Beltram, the GOP party chair in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, said he has told Romney that "the one issue he's going to have to properly communicate is what the Mormon faith is all about."

A Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll last year found that 37 percent of Americans said they would not vote for a Mormon for president. But Romney's aides have said they are confident he can overcome, or at least mitigate, the religion issue by focusing on the common conservative values Mormons share with other denominations.

A poll conducted late last month by CNN and Opinion Research Corporation showed that among registered Republicans nationwide, Giuliani was the choice of 32 percent, compared to 26 percent for McCain, 9 percent for former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and 7 percent for Romney, with a sampling error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

So far, 10 Republicans have either announced a 2008 presidential bid or plan to form an exploratory committee. In addition to Romney, McCain and Giuliani, the list includes Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas, former Govs. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, Jim Gilmore of Virginia and Tommy Thompson of Wisconsin; and Reps. Duncan Hunter of California, Ron Paul of Texas and Tom Tancredo of Colorado.

CNN's Candy Crowley contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/13/romney.announce/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 07:45:22 AM »
Dammit, what is happening to the republicans?

He hams up the "I'm a religious guy!" but won't answer specifics on religion.

Dammit, when did the Republicans become this pathetic soft group of pansies?  Answer the question.  be who you are.  Quit trying to "keep everyone happy!".

I felt like I was watching that little sissy John Edwards when Romney was talking.  "I want to please everyone so I'll say nothing!!"

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »

Ain't no way in hell he gets more than 15% of the vote in the Republican primaries. 

Freaken cult...

body88

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:37:33 PM »
Take it from a Boston resident, born and raised. Romney is a tard bucket.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 06:38:28 PM »
LOL--- romney traveled to the ford factory to make the announcement, coudln't even do it in his own state

body88

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 06:45:55 PM »
LOL--- romney traveled to the ford factory to make the announcement, coudln't even do it in his own state

Lmao!!! Yet, he is going to run his campaign out of the north end here in Boston! Good ol Mit  ::)