Author Topic: Arnold Gives Advice to Cutler on PBW! Is Jay in trouble?  (Read 15503 times)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: Arnold Gives Advice to Cutler on PBW! Is Jay in trouble?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 11:36:15 AM »
Think about it. Thats what makes Arnold one of a kind. No Mr. O did for bodybuilding what arnold did. And from Haney to Cutler and inbetween all the O's have been regular quiet hard working guys.  Jay is about exciting as a dead turtle and he sounds like the clear eyes guy. I think if levrone would have won one O would have been a bit more ambitious in trying to cross the sport over. Can you think of some past or present bodybuilder that would have crossed the sport over.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 12:15:14 PM »
Jay is definately too boring to represent the sport to the public, unfortunately. Altough he would absolutely have the good look to make BB mainstream: Good tan, strange blonde hair ;D, just the California dreamboy look; compared to Dorian or Ronnie, the ugly monsters, Jay could definetely make BB mainstream (if he was a better talker and more funny personality >:()

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 12:16:37 PM »
Can you think of some past or present bodybuilder that would have crossed the sport over.
Flex, Matarazzo, Levrone; These guys could have made BB more popular. Great body + funny guys with personality and a big mouth.

Unfortunately always the Mr. O's, the champion athlete, have been boring morons (Dorian, Jay, Ronnie;........)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
Flex, Matarazzo, Levrone; These guys could have made BB more popular. Great body + funny guys with personality.

well flex...not so much but for sure matadazzo would have done great for the bodybuilding  crossing over to the main stream. Flex is too much of an asshole.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 12:24:10 PM »
Arnold is one of the only guys who had great personality and was always outspoken. Flex I don't really think could have sold bodybuilding. Matarazzo loves bodybuilding as much as Arnold does. Levrone beating that sprinter would have been a great story to take to the masses.

AVBG

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 01:12:26 PM »
Is Jay in trouble? Has he left his run too late? Has he enough time to capitalise on being Mr O?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »
What about Chick. He is pretty popular and gets his name out there. Especially for somone who dosent do the big shows

AVBG

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »
What about Chick. He is pretty popular and gets his name out there. Especially for somone who dosent do the big shows

Chick = personality. He's great at self promotion.. he had a long time to practice as he had a long apprenticeship in the NPC.

Amir Hamzic

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 02:04:07 PM »
chick is known in bodybuilding circuit same with ronnie or jay or anyone.Arnold got into movies and that was a huge lift for his personality but not a lift for bodybuilding.Bodybuilder s didnt start making money from contracts untill Mcmahon started WBF.I agree that Arnold became famous but bodybuilding didnt gain that much in popularity.Gyms have become popular but that where it stops because just because you lift it dont make you a bodybuilder.

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 02:13:32 PM »
He once said that he doesn't want to be someone who talks too much.

because he is just another white man..  ;D ;D

good thing that he's not Shawn or Tamali who will not stop bullshitting
I am a mini beast

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 02:40:34 PM »
I recall Arnold dissing Dorian for not being better at PR.

From what I've read, Dorian told him that he knows nothing about modern bodybuilding. He just shows up in Columbus once a year, lets people kiss his ass for 48 hours, and then flies back to Hollywood.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2007, 03:03:05 PM »
None of the these guys can take BBing to the next level.  They've already helped make the "sport" so niche with ridiculous drug usage and appearanceswhere is it supposed to go??!   You're deluding yourself if you think any of these overbloated mass monsters can "bring it mainstream"..."bring it to the people". 

Nobody out there could look like these guys.  Nobody can afford the drug regime it takes to look like that...or what it does to your body TO look like that.  Whats the appeal?  Spend tens of thousands of dollars to plump yourself up to such ridiculous levels that it elicits chuckles...not respect...and in the process destroy your thyroid, liver, kidneys, heart and possible chance at offspring.   And why, for the chicks?  For the big dollars? So you can't walk through a door?  So you have to toss one leg in front of another to walk down the street?  Guess what kiddies...most of obese Americans do that anyway!

What's needed in BBing is a sense of realism.  A physique that is beautiful, healthy, athletic and muscular.  Something that makes people want to go to the gym and aspire.  Arnold had that.  He almost single handedly ushered in the gym craze of the 80's through his BB career and movies.  Ya, he was huge...but he was realistically huge, not comic book huge.

A year ago I read in the back of Muscle and Fitness that there was an on line survey for men and women over the BBing physique that they found most pleasing.   Guess who took in 70%
Steve f*ing Reeves.  Ronnie got 6 or 7%.   
Until BBing wakes up and squares itself with that reality its going to continue to diminish.

Rant over.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 03:45:45 PM »
Thsts even worse. He will sell out anything. 

The movie was a "Docudrama" it was NOT a documentary... Arnold was acting...

If you think this way, then all actors are liars...

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 06:46:04 AM »
None of the these guys can take BBing to the next level.  They've already helped make the "sport" so niche with ridiculous drug usage and appearanceswhere is it supposed to go??!   You're deluding yourself if you think any of these overbloated mass monsters can "bring it mainstream"..."bring it to the people". 

Nobody out there could look like these guys.  Nobody can afford the drug regime it takes to look like that...or what it does to your body TO look like that.  Whats the appeal?  Spend tens of thousands of dollars to plump yourself up to such ridiculous levels that it elicits chuckles...not respect...and in the process destroy your thyroid, liver, kidneys, heart and possible chance at offspring.   And why, for the chicks?  For the big dollars? So you can't walk through a door?  So you have to toss one leg in front of another to walk down the street?  Guess what kiddies...most of obese Americans do that anyway!

What's needed in BBing is a sense of realism.  A physique that is beautiful, healthy, athletic and muscular.  Something that makes people want to go to the gym and aspire.  Arnold had that.  He almost single handedly ushered in the gym craze of the 80's through his BB career and movies.  Ya, he was huge...but he was realistically huge, not comic book huge.

A year ago I read in the back of Muscle and Fitness that there was an on line survey for men and women over the BBing physique that they found most pleasing.   Guess who took in 70%
Steve f*ing Reeves.  Ronnie got 6 or 7%.   
Until BBing wakes up and squares itself with that reality its going to continue to diminish.

Rant over.

Good post...
I really think if there were more zane like bodies, this thing would  be a little more mainstream

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 08:07:54 AM »
Let me help shed a little light here boys...

Bodybuilding wasn't accepted  or any more popular back when Zane was competing with their "more appealing" physiques....

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 08:12:39 AM »

Bodybuilding wasn't accepted  or any more popular back when Zane was competing with their "more appealing" physiques....

I think if people where to choose they would pick the old timers over todays bodybuilders.
just push some weight!

Capt._America

• Getbig II
  • Would rather be feared than respected
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 08:25:43 AM »
Well let's look at what Jay offers as far as a PR standpoint, A.  Something the last "champ" lacked, education and the ability to understand him when he speaks, so will be a good spokes man, B.  He does have that all american look, blond and blue eyed, I know the jaw jokes will start now, but whatever, he will appeal to more people,  C. A family man with family values, blue collar, kinda like the everyday man who beat the unbeatable champ.  But let's be serious, bb will never go "main stream", the average person does not want to look like that, so really will appeal more to the die hard or average fan, actually the "average" person does not even understand why we do what we do, lift big, they don't get it, they don't enjoy the pain or glory of lifting heavy weight or the dediction it takes to get big, only the freaks like us get it.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 08:39:27 AM »
Well let's look at what Jay offers as far as a PR standpoint, A.  Something the last "champ" lacked, education and the ability to understand him when he speaks, so will be a good spokes man, B.  He does have that all american look, blond and blue eyed, I know the jaw jokes will start now, but whatever, he will appeal to more people,  C. A family man with family values, blue collar, kinda like the everyday man who beat the unbeatable champ.  But let's be serious, bb will never go "main stream", the average person does not want to look like that, so really will appeal more to the die hard or average fan, actually the "average" person does not even understand why we do what we do, lift big, they don't get it, they don't enjoy the pain or glory of lifting heavy weight or the dediction it takes to get big, only the freaks like us get it.

It's all about how you can sell it to audiences. Arnold sold it because A)He had great personality B)He loved bodybuilding very much.

He would talk to audiences about the great benefits from bodybuilding and how much it enhanced his life.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 09:15:03 AM »

Well i didnt know that as im 24 years old. i just thought from a marketing standpoint what might be more appealing to women. Because they are 50% of the popuation.  Bodies like frank zane are more attractive to women bottom line.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 09:34:44 AM »
Jay may not be charasmatic, but he carries himself well, has taste in dress, speaks thoughtfully and has the all-american good looks. He could do some real good.

Jay does not have "all-american good looks".   All-American good looks requires having symmetrical and attractive facial features.   Jay's distorted GH induced face is clearly not something that the majority of people find above average in terms of looks.

AVBG

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 04:38:03 PM »
What does Jay need to do to get the "personality to match the physique".

1. Acting Lessons?
2. Smoke some weed?  ;D
3. Be seen to mix more with the general population?
4. Get more regular TV spots.. including but not limited to WWE?
5. Be more outspoken or contraversial in the BB press.

discuss!

PhoenixBuff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 07:54:54 PM »
It's all about how you can sell it to audiences. Arnold sold it because A)He had great personality B)He loved bodybuilding very much.

He would talk to audiences about the great benefits from bodybuilding and how much it enhanced his life.

Yeah, while also denying he took drugs.  Bodybuilding was no more popular back then that it is now.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2007, 09:29:28 PM »
Yeah, while also denying he took drugs.  Bodybuilding was no more popular back then that it is now.

True... he denied the drugs... but I'm sure Weider told him to...

I'd say it was more popular by the time he had left it... When it started, no... but once he moved into movies... the "weight lifting" lifestyles became more prevalent... Arnold had a LOT to do with that.