Author Topic: Some choice quotations from the koran...  (Read 6494 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Some choice quotations from the koran...
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 09:41:27 AM »
Hedge,
That's a very bold statement.  Have you read the Bible from cover to cover, over and over?  Please do tell me where the "tons" of inconsistencies are.  There are none.

Brilliant people like C.S. Lewis, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, John Clayton, etc. set out to find these "inconsistencies", "contradictions", "error", and in the process, they all became Christians and believers that the  Bible is the Word of GOD.

Read the Bible, and you'll become a believer.

I've read the Bible.

Quick example:

An eye for an eye.

Turn the other cheek.

Two totally different approaches. So either believe that it's eye for an eye, or believe that Jesus actually overruled it, and said that we should now turn the other cheek.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 09:56:21 AM »
I've read the Bible.

Quick example:

An eye for an eye.

Turn the other cheek.

Two totally different approaches. So either believe that it's eye for an eye, or believe that Jesus actually overruled it, and said that we should now turn the other cheek.

-Hedge

That is not an inconsistency.  An eye for an eye means that while punishing crimes, you shall not do more harm than it was done to you.  That is justice, as injustice would be to take someone's life for injuring your eye, which is how it was prior to the law. 

Turn the other cheek, pray for your enemies, love those who hate you, etc. are commands from Jesus Christ with a purpose, to win more souls for Christ.  A man who injures your eye is more likely to believe in Christ and understand God's grace if you forgive him and spare his eye, when he fully knows that justice calls for you to take his eye as punishment for his crime. 

It's all about grace.

a eye for an eye = Justice
turn the other cheek = Grace

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 10:46:53 AM »
That is not an inconsistency.  An eye for an eye means that while punishing crimes, you shall not do more harm than it was done to you.  That is justice, as injustice would be to take someone's life for injuring your eye, which is how it was prior to the law. 

Turn the other cheek, pray for your enemies, love those who hate you, etc. are commands from Jesus Christ with a purpose, to win more souls for Christ.  A man who injures your eye is more likely to believe in Christ and understand God's grace if you forgive him and spare his eye, when he fully knows that justice calls for you to take his eye as punishment for his crime. 

It's all about grace.

a eye for an eye = Justice
turn the other cheek = Grace

If someone hits you on the cheek, turn the other cheek, if someone takes your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.

Definitely defines how we're supposed to act in case someone takes advantage of us. We're supposed to forgive.

An eye for an eye: Clearly, a certain amount of revenge is allowed, as long as it is equal to the harm you were caused.

A lot of people read the Bible, and as soon as they see an inconsistency, instead of acknowledging it, they choose to find some incredible interpretation of the words.

That's border-line blasphemous IMO. Read the Bible, but don't make it into something it's not.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 11:00:30 AM »
If someone hits you on the cheek, turn the other cheek, if someone takes your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.

Definitely defines how we're supposed to act in case someone takes advantage of us. We're supposed to forgive.

An eye for an eye: Clearly, a certain amount of revenge is allowed, as long as it is equal to the harm you were caused.

A lot of people read the Bible, and as soon as they see an inconsistency, instead of acknowledging it, they choose to find some incredible interpretation of the words.

That's border-line blasphemous IMO. Read the Bible, but don't make it into something it's not.

-Hedge

I see just the opposite.  I see people reading the Bible, looking for inconsistencies, errors and contradictions that are not really there.  I don't know why, different reasons for different people, I guess.  The people that I already mentioned above, C.S. Lewis, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, John Clayton, all "found" such "inconsistencies" or "errors" at first, but then realized that, as much as they wanted them to be there, they weren't really there.  So they became believers.

"I read the Bible through from cover to cover four times during my sophomore year in college for the explicit purpose of finding scientific contradictions in it. By that, I mean statements in the Bible that were false that I could throw back at her to show her how ridiculous it was to believe in God. I had even decided to write a book called All the Stupidity of the Bible. Something amazing happened as I did this. As I considered and thought about these things, I found that I could not find a contradiction--to find some kind of scientific inaccuracy in the Bible. I just simply was not able to do it. I gave up writing the book because of lack of material! It is amazing to me that as I talk to people, I find many who claim to be Christians and who perhaps claim to have been Christians for many years who have not read the Bible through cover to cover once. I find it hard to believe that they believe in God very much if they do not even want to know what He has to say."  - John N. Clayton

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »
IMO the old testament was used to set up rules and guidleines for an ancient society...... the new testament on the other hand shows us the perfect model to which we should live our lives

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 01:42:14 PM »
I see just the opposite.  I see people reading the Bible, looking for inconsistencies, errors and contradictions that are not really there.  I don't know why, different reasons for different people, I guess.  The people that I already mentioned above, C.S. Lewis, Lee Strobel, Josh McDowell, John Clayton, all "found" such "inconsistencies" or "errors" at first, but then realized that, as much as they wanted them to be there, they weren't really there.  So they became believers.

"I read the Bible through from cover to cover four times during my sophomore year in college for the explicit purpose of finding scientific contradictions in it. By that, I mean statements in the Bible that were false that I could throw back at "her to show her how ridiculous it was to believe in God. I had even decided to write a book called All the Stupidity of the Bible. Something amazing happened as I did this. As I considered and thought about these things, I found that I could not find a contradiction--to find some kind of scientific inaccuracy in the Bible. I just simply was not able to do it. I gave up writing the book because of lack of material! It is amazing to me that as I talk to people, I find many who claim to be Christians and who perhaps claim to have been Christians for many years who have not read the Bible through cover to cover once. I find it hard to believe that they believe in God very much if they do not even want to know what He has to say."  - John N. Clayton

"If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you."
(John 15:7 NAB)

Is that true?  Can pray for a mountain to be thrown into the sea, and it will happen?  Because Jesus also said that.

And Jesus answered and said to them, "Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will happen.  "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."  (Matthew 21:21-22 NAS)

Is this true?

Y

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 01:45:10 PM »
Those scholars must be pretty weak minded....I just looked through the new testament for a few minutes and found a contradiction.

Matthew 1:16 "And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ."

Luke 3:23 "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli."

Found another one.....these are in the same gospel...

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

John 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater

Was Jesus just kidding when he said his father and he were equal?  Or was he kidding when he said his father is greater?

Y

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 01:46:58 PM »
This condradiction is an oldie....

Genesis 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Gensis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
Gensis 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Those scholars didn't seem to look very hard for contradictions, because there are many.
Y

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 06:01:04 AM »
Yes yes, doison.  All those so called "contradictions" you listed have a very good explanation by Bible scholars and they have been refuted long ago.  Google them if you want to and you'll find, good and bad, explanations for every single one of them.  Bible skeptics and apologists have been going back and forth over this for decades.  You can throw Bible "errors" and "contradictions" at me all day long.  And I can sit here and refute every single one of them, and then you can refute my argument/explanation.  We can go on like this for ever, but to what end?  If you are right and the Bible is not the Word of God, then great for ya!  But if you are wrong, you are dead wrong.

Here is a better, quicker approach:  Want your finances, your health, your relationships, your outlook in life and attitude to greatly improve?  Want forgiveness for your sins, peace of mind and assurance of eternal life?  Read the Bible and do as it says.  Then you will know for sure that it is indeed the Word of God.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 06:10:07 AM »
LOL @ this thread  ;D
follow the arrows

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 06:14:15 AM »
LOL @ this thread  ;D

Glad we can amuse you!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 06:15:46 AM »
Yes yes, doison.  All those so called "contradictions" you listed have a very good explanation by Bible scholars and they have been refuted long ago.  Google them if you want to and you'll find, good and bad, explanations for every single one of them.  Bible skeptics and apologists have been going back and forth over this for decades.  You can throw Bible "errors" and "contradictions" at me all day long.  And I can sit here and refute every single one of them, and then you can refute my argument/explanation.  We can go on like this for ever, but to what end?  If you are right and the Bible is not the Word of God, then great for ya!  But if you are wrong, you are dead wrong.

Here is a better, quicker approach:  Want your finances, your health, your relationships, your outlook in life and attitude to greatly improve?  Want forgiveness for your sins, peace of mind and assurance of eternal life?  Read the Bible and do as it says.  Then you will know for sure that it is indeed the Word of God.

Again, as I previously stated:

Why not just admit that the book was written by guys like you and me?

loco, I suggest you look into how the parts of the Bible was decided to be included. The Bible was decided on at Church convents.

Arranged by common man.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 06:22:56 AM »

Hedge,
Aren't you doing the same thing with the "eye for an eye"?  You interpret it as revenge, when it really is justice, punishment, the law.  Is putting someone in prison for murder revenge, or punishment?  Again, that's you giving the Bible your own interpretation.

loco, I suggest you look into how the parts of the Bible was decided to be included. The Bible was decided on at Church convents.

I did look into it, and you are wrong.  I suggest you do as you suggest.  I will go into how the Bible came to be what it is today in another thread.  I have to get back to work.  Good day to you!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 06:24:14 AM »
Even an atheist would want ur ass in hell, for the asshole u are ;D

please shoot yourself.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 06:51:56 AM »
LOL @ this thread  ;D

LOL @ muslims & LOL @ this thread...

My truth spreading thread has been hijacked!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 06:58:50 AM »
My truth spreading thread has been hijacked!

I know.  Sorry about that, Nordic Superman!  I just couldn't stay silent when people started to attack the Bible.  I'll take it to another thread.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2007, 01:36:28 PM »
I know.  Sorry about that, Nordic Superman!  I just couldn't stay silent when people started to attack the Bible.  I'll take it to another thread.
truth spreading! hahahahahahaha  ;D

please shoot yourself.
The moon god does not approve of your inappropriatte comments. Fvker  >:(
follow the arrows

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »

Oh right... I made those quotes up did I? ???
الاسلام هو شيطانية

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 02:56:04 PM »

then hang yourself, if that suits the moon god better.  :-* :-*

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »
then hang yourself, if that suits the moon god better.  :-* :-*
I'll let u go first honey  :-*
follow the arrows

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2007, 03:13:27 PM »
I'll let u go first honey  :-*

Ohhhh, i'm sorry. You folks tend to blow yourself up in a public bus, i forgot...

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2007, 03:15:26 PM »
Ohhhh, i'm sorry. You folks tend to blow yourself up in a public bus, i forgot...
takes more balls than talking shit in a public forum ;D
follow the arrows

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2007, 05:12:15 PM »

refute them then...
You said there were no contradictions in the bible.  I showed you a few of THOUSANDS, and you say they don't count. 
If you get to decide what a contradiction is, then it makes your side of the argument pretty easy, as it is for all christians. 
a.ka. the "I'm right, because I can make up any fairy tale I want in my head, facts mean nothing to me." 

How about, Why was Jesus born in Bethlahem? 
I know....for the census right? The Roman Empire is well documented, including documentation of the Romans taxation laws and system which was based on property and wealth. At no point did the Romans require people to return to their place of birth for a census, it would be impractical on every level.

So, is that a contradiction, or did Luke just lie?
Y

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2007, 09:02:52 PM »
refute them then...

I will.  It's gonna be long and I need time.  I have a job and a life.  My goal is not to change your mind, but to show why I believe the Bible is the Word of God.  I'm not here to win arguments or to "own" anybody.  Just to discuss and share.   ;D

You said there were no contradictions in the bible.  I showed you a few of THOUSANDS,

There are no contradictions in the Bible.  A few thousand?  I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.   ;D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2007, 02:54:38 AM »
I will.  It's gonna be long and I need time.  I have a job and a life.  My goal is not to change your mind, but to show why I believe the Bible is the Word of God.  I'm not here to win arguments or to "own" anybody.  Just to discuss and share.   ;D

There are no contradictions in the Bible.  A few thousand?  I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.   ;D

::) ::)