Author Topic: Would you vote for a Mormon for President?  (Read 2151 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Would you vote for a Mormon for President?
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »
 ???

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Would you vote for a Mormon for President?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:50:32 PM »
sure.  wouldn't matter to me.  most people who run will use religion as a tool to get as many votes as possible, then freak all they can on the sly once they get the chance anyway.

what i don't like is when people will change positions - like romney deciding suddenly he's ANTI-abortion, after being PRO his whole career when he needed elected in Mass.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 11:08:38 PM »
What's the difference?

Mormon, Christian, Islamic, Balsamic.........they're all loonie...... :-\
HAHA, RON.....

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 11:16:38 PM »
What's the difference?

amen to that.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 11:23:55 PM »
What's the difference?

good point

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:41:44 AM »
They need to ask this geezer on his take on multi-marriage.

This guy have some great media potential, I tell you. Could be funniest shyte in a long while.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 07:33:48 AM »
They need to ask this geezer on his take on multi-marriage.

As a Jew living in Salt Lake City, I perhaps bring a useful perspective to this question...

Say what you like about the Mormons (my personal favorite is: "You do realize this is all bullshit, don't you?"), let no one claim they don't know how to run an organization. If their rapid growth from despised cult to essentially mainstream religion in just 100 years wasn't enough to convince you of that, I can tell you that they brought off the Olympics without a hitch (and you can include the effective bribery it took to bring them to SLC in the first place, if you like) - and that's nothing to sneeze at. So on that basis, I would pick Romney over any of his Protestant counterparts in a heartbeat.

BTW, the LDS Church has officially condemned polygamy for a very long time. We've even had some high-profile prosecutions in the last few years. So that should not be a significantly larger embarrassment for Romney than, say, the Spanish Inquisition would be for Brownback.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 09:09:33 AM »
As a Jew living in Salt Lake City, I perhaps bring a useful perspective to this question...

Say what you like about the Mormons (my personal favorite is: "You do realize this is all bullshit, don't you?"), let no one claim they don't know how to run an organization. If their rapid growth from despised cult to essentially mainstream religion in just 100 years wasn't enough to convince you of that, I can tell you that they brought off the Olympics without a hitch (and you can include the effective bribery it took to bring them to SLC in the first place, if you like) - and that's nothing to sneeze at. So on that basis, I would pick Romney over any of his Protestant counterparts in a heartbeat.

BTW, the LDS Church has officially condemned polygamy for a very long time. We've even had some high-profile prosecutions in the last few years. So that should not be a significantly larger embarrassment for Romney than, say, the Spanish Inquisition would be for Brownback.

The Mormon church has done an outstanding job building their church and business.  Excellent marketing.  Very savvy.  They have "The Polynesian Cultural Center" here that makes a great deal of money. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Right, the 'church' is one massive PR campaign after another.  Just like the catholics and other religions, they've convinced hordes of people that, if only you will tithe 10% of your increase (and live the principles, blah blah), you will become worthy to enter the kingdom of heaven.  They've got a 3-tiered heaven and you're supposed to seek the highest level.  

No one is going to argue against their messages on family.  

But when you get into deep doctrine and they talk about how you and your eternal companion can someday become gods of your own world...

I'm not saying that a devout mormon cannot be an effective leader, but I'm not willing to support anything which further increases their profile, because they've learned what politicians figured out long ago - that there are enough stupid people in this country to enable shrewd people to do almost whatever they want and to foot the bill for it.  

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 09:18:51 AM »
I couldn't care less what someone personally believes, as long as he or she is committed to our constitutional separation of church and state, and our secular society.  Religion and faith should be a private matter, for each person to decide for himself, and should never be a part of public life the way it is is many Middle-Eastern countries.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 09:23:07 AM »
The Mormon church has done an outstanding job building their church and business.  Excellent marketing.  Very savvy.  They have "The Polynesian Cultural Center" here that makes a great deal of money. 

Exactly - it's all about the $.

Their 'prophet' is actually the president and CEO of the corporation of the church.  

You god-fearing christians would be wise to beware of the mormon takeover of your country.  Need more evidence?  Read this short piece:

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/houston/

For that story to have taken place in the heart of the bible belt...the mormon leadership knows what sort of statement it makes and they're using this story bigtime to help build their case for new and potential converts.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 09:24:12 AM »
I couldn't care less what someone personally believes, as long as he or she is committed to our constitutional separation of church and state, and our secular society.  Religion and faith should be a private matter, for each person to decide for himself, and should never be a part of public life the way it is is many Middle-Eastern countries.

Then a devoutly mormon candidate just won't do.  For them, they 'say' one's faith is a private matter, but the reality is anything but.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 09:41:51 AM »
They have "The Polynesian Cultural Center" here that makes a great deal of money. 

hahaha...  Yeah, they do very well in the South Pacific for some reason. Lotsa Polys here in town.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 09:45:32 AM »
Exactly - it's all about the $.

Their 'prophet' is actually the president and CEO of the corporation of the church.  

You god-fearing christians would be wise to beware of the mormon takeover of your country.  Need more evidence?  Read this short piece:

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/houston/

For that story to have taken place in the heart of the bible belt...the mormon leadership knows what sort of statement it makes and they're using this story bigtime to help build their case for new and potential converts.

I'm not quite that cynical of these larger church institutions.  I don't think the leadership makes that much money.  I'm more cynical of the solo preachers who make seven figures from their congregations (Robert Tilton et al.).

And on the issue of tithing, you should try it.  It works.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:42 AM »
hahaha...  Yeah, they do very well in the South Pacific for some reason. Lotsa Polys here in town.

They have a BYU campus here too.  You can see the young men in black pants and white shirts riding around all over the place.   :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 09:51:29 AM »
Mormons have multiple wives, right?

Wow, they might be the biggest pimps in the history of America.  They not only use religion to convince their women folk that multiple wives is okay, but also that divorce is bad.

Women feel guilty if they even think about leaving the guy who is banging 3 other women.  I'm impressed!

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »
Mormons have multiple wives, right?

For the most part, it's only a small-but-determined group of redneck religious zealots in the outlying parts of the state. I'm sure that mainstream Mormons consider them nothing more than an embarrassing bunch of distant relatives.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 11:17:41 AM »
I would vote for Dan-O for president.  He's a Muppet Mormon.  ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »
For the most part, it's only a small-but-determined group of redneck religious zealots in the outlying parts of the state. I'm sure that mainstream Mormons consider them nothing more than an embarrassing bunch of distant relatives.

Secretly, lots of the guys wish it were still that way.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 06:13:16 PM »
Secretly, lots of the guys wish it were still that way.

Then there are those married guys who have their hands full with one wife and perish the thought of multiple wives.   :)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »
Then there are those married guys who have their hands full with one wife and perish the thought of multiple wives.   :)

Yeah, dealing with their 'celestial checklist' is hard enough without having to deal with a nagging wife, too.