Author Topic: Tennessee Bill Would Require Death Certificates for Aborted Fetuses  (Read 2203 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Tennessee Bill Would Require Death Certificates for Aborted FetusesThursday, February 15, 2007

NASHVILLE, Tenn. —  Legislation introduced in Tennessee would require death certificates for aborted fetuses, which likely would create public records identifying women who have abortions.

Rep. Stacey Campfield, a Republican, said his bill would provide a way to track how many abortions are performed. He predicted it would pass in the Republican-controlled Senate but would have a hard time making it through the Democratic House.

"All these people who say they are pro-life — at least we would see how many lives are being ended out there by abortions," said Campfield.

The number of abortions reported to the state Office of Vital Records is already publicly available. The office collects records, but not death certificates, on abortions and the deaths of fetuses after 22 weeks gestation or weighing about 1 pound.

The identities of the women who have abortions are not included in those records, but death certificates include identifying information such as Social Security numbers.

Campfield's bill, introduced Monday, would give abortion providers 10 days following an "induced termination of a pregnancy" to file a death certificate.

House Judiciary Chairman Rob Briley, a Democrat, called Campfield's proposal "the most preposterous bill I've seen" in an eight-year legislative career.

"It is totally inconsistent with everything the law contemplates as it relates to anything close to that subject," he said.

The anti-abortion group Tennessee Right to Life has not yet taken a position on the death certificate bill, said spokeswoman Myra Simons. But she said the organization applauds the sponsors' efforts to "draw attention to the way abortion is handled in Tennessee."

Keri Adams, vice president of Planned Parenthood in Tennessee, on Wednesday called the proposal an attempt to terrorize frightened and vulnerable women who are seeking abortion.

"We certainly hope the Tennessee Legislature doesn't invest too much energy in this bill," she said. "We think it's clearly a violation of privacy, and potentially illegal concerning HIPAA regulations."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252113,00.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Tennessee Bill Would Require Death Certificates for Aborted Fetuses
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 09:07:19 AM »
This is why I like BeachBum!!!!! He's able to put all that middle east bull honkey aside for the important issues.

Keep it up sir!

[bowing] Thank you, thank you . . .   :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 01:47:44 PM »
From the Mayo Clinic Website:

About 15 percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). But the actual number is probably much higher because many miscarriages occur so early in pregnancy that a woman doesn't even know she's pregnant.

So I guess "God" is the biggest abortionist of all.   To be fair, this bill should require all terminated pregnancies, regardless of the cause to require a death certificate.   A life is a life so what's the difference about the cause of death.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 01:57:11 PM »
Typical "back-alley" attempt to undermine Roe. Not the first, won't be the last.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 02:02:09 PM »
Typical "back-alley" attempt to undermine Roe. Not the first, won't be the last.

Of course. 

Roe is hanging on by a sliver.  I think there are four votes on the Court to overturn it (Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, and Alito).  Stevens and Ginsberg are probably the most likely to go in the next four years, which means abortion will probably be a fairly hot top as election draws nigh.

George Sr. is probably still kicking himself over Souter.   :)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 02:09:19 PM »

So I guess "God" is the biggest abortionist of all.   To be fair, this bill should require all terminated pregnancies, regardless of the cause to require a death certificate.   A life is a life so what's the difference about the cause of death.

Another attempt at invading personal privacy and threatning women that need to get abortions. This comes up as recently alot of women that miscarry want a death certificate now.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 03:09:08 PM »
From the Mayo Clinic Website:

About 15 percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). But the actual number is probably much higher because many miscarriages occur so early in pregnancy that a woman doesn't even know she's pregnant.

So that must mean around 85% are just flat out murdered!

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 03:17:16 PM »
George Sr. is probably still kicking himself over Souter.   :)

Indeed. It would be left to his son to install a mouth-foaming fascist like Scalia on the court.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 03:31:06 PM »
Indeed. It would be left to his son to install a mouth-foaming fascist like Scalia on the court.

You mean like Roberts and Alito?  Those were two pretty good appointments. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 03:42:58 PM »
So that must mean around 85% are just flat out murdered!

no knucklehead, most of the other 85% would be carried to term with some portion of them possibly being aborted. 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 04:19:30 PM »
You mean like Roberts and Alito?

Early senility episode there... I meant Alito.

I concede that he has legal qualifications that the earlier nominee lacked.  ::)  But he's a mouth-foaming fascist.

I wish him a warm stay in Hell.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 04:22:38 PM »
Early senility episode there... I meant Alito.

I concede that he has legal qualifications that the earlier nominee lacked.  ::)  But he's a mouth-foaming fascist.

I wish him a warm stay in Hell.

Why do you say that? 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 04:47:50 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamdan_v._Rumsfeld

You believe Alito is a "mouth-foaming fascist" and should rot in hell based on his dissent in this case?   :-\

From your link: 

Alito's dissent
In a seven page dissent, Alito sided with Thomas and Scalia's explanation of why they believe the courts had no jurisdiction for this case.[24] He explained why he believed the military commission in this case was legal. Alito disagreed with the holding of the Court which found that military commissions did not meet the definition of a "a regularly constituted court" as required in Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions. Alito argued that Common Article 3 was satisfied in Hamdan because the military commissions:

qualify as courts,
were appointed and established in accordance with domestic law, and
any procedural improprieties that might occur in particular cases can be reviewed in those cases.
Alito specifically disagreed with the opinions supporting the judgment which held that the military commission before which Hamdan would be tried is not "a regularly constituted court," and that the military commission is "illegal," because the commission's procedures allegedly would not comply with 10 U.S.C. § 836. Alito wrote that the military commission was "regularly" or "properly" constituted, using the example of the various types of local, state, federal and international courts and how "although these courts are 'differently constituted' and differ substantially in many other respects, they are all 'regularly constituted.'"

Alito stated that Geneva Convention Common Article 3 does not specifically rule out military commissions, and further points to the commentary in Article 66, which was the article the Court used in support of its opinion. Alito argued that even if Common Article 3 recognizes a prohibition on "special tribunals," which Article 66 does prohibit, such a prohibition is not applicable to Hamdan's tribunal because the military commissions were "regular."[25] Further, because the Bush Administration might conduct the hundreds of such tribunals according to the same procedures, Alito concluded that "it seems that petitioner’s tribunal, like the hundreds of others respondents propose to conduct, is very much regular and not at all special."

Alito wrote that "the commissions were appointed, set up, and established pursuant to an order of the President, just like the commission in Ex parte Quirin, 317 U. S. 1 (1942), and the Court acknowledges that Quirin recognized that the statutory predecessor of 10 U.S.C. § 821 'preserved' the President’s power 'to convene military commissions.'" Alito disagreed with Kennedy's assertion that "an acceptable degree of independence from the Executive is necessary to render a commission 'regularly constituted' by the standards of our Nation's system of justice," arguing that Kennedy "offers no support for this proposition (which in any event seems to be more about fairness or integrity than regularity)," and further arguing that the commission in Quirin was no different from the present case.

Finally, Alito wrote that the commission procedures as a whole do not provide a basis for deeming the commissions to be illegitimate. He points to two procedural rules, which the Court found fault with: First, the rule "allowing the Secretary of Defense to change the governing rules 'from time to time';" and second, the rule that "permits the admission of any evidence that would have 'probative value to a reasonable person'". Alito asserts these rules cannot make the commissions illegitimate.

On the first rule Alito argued that not all changes during the course of a trial prejudice the defendant, and that some may even help the defendant. In addition, "If a change is made and applied during the course of an ongoing proceeding and if the accused is found guilty, the validity of that procedure can be considered in the review proceeding for that case."

On the second rule, Alito argued that this rule does not violate the international standard incorporated into Common Article 3, because "rules of evidence differ from country to country" and "much of the world does not follow aspects of our evidence rules, such as the general prohibition against the admission of hearsay."

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 05:05:53 PM »
You believe Alito is a "mouth-foaming fascist" and should rot in hell based on his dissent in this case?   :-\

It goes to establish a pattern of behavior.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 09:19:36 PM »
It goes to establish a pattern of behavior.  :)

Pretty low "mouth-foaming fascist"/rot in hell standard you have there.