Author Topic: CNN Knew of Saddam's Evil, But Did Not Report  (Read 1376 times)

Mr. Intenseone

CNN Knew of Saddam's Evil, But Did Not Report
« on: February 15, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »
The most earth-shattering, unbelievable, astounding, shocking bit of news I have seen in quite some time is contained in an op-ed piece, a column in the New York Times by Eason Jordan, chief news executive at CNN. I just had to read this to you, in it's entirety – and you can hear that in the audio link below. The word has no doubt spread like wildfire about this piece, and if you have not read it, you should.

Eason Jordan has unburdened himself with some guilt that he has been carrying around for over a decade, knowledge of atrocities committed against average Iraqis by the Saddam Hussein regime. We're talking about murders, rapes, and tortures. He feels now it's safe to reveal what he knows, given the regime is no more, and can inflict no more harm on people. He writes of unspeakable acts committed by Saddam's regime, which he knew about and did not report, because it would have endangered CNN's people and other sources in Iraq.

Folks, even if he needed to protect his people in Iraq, and there is a degree to which a company's desire to do this is understandable, that does not explain the way CNN covered all of this. You had the president of the United States and his administration, almost daily for the past year, not only talking about weapons of mass destruction, but also talking about the atrocities and the evils committed against the population of this country. It seems to me that Mr. Jordan could have taken his lead anchors, such as Judy Woodruff, Aaron Brown and others aside and maybe without revealing specifics, say, "Look, be very careful here in doubting what is said about atrocities." I don't know that he didn't do this, but it would be hard to conclude that he did based on CNN's coverage. If you read what he wrote today and then you compare it to CNN's coverage, there's no connection! 

The Left Closed Its Eyes To Genocide

But it's not just Eason Jordan. He should feel terrible, but so should all the other members of the media and members of Congress who knew full well these kinds of atrocities were going on in Iraq, and somehow managed to deny it or be unaffected by it. There was a great debate in this country about this war of liberation. The liberal Democrats opposed this war. Congressional Democrats opposed it. Most in the media opposed it. The fact is we've known about the inhumanity of this regime for years, and now it turns out so did Eason Jordan on a firsthand, personal basis.

If Eason Jordan knew this stuff, other news executives and reporters knew it, too. It's hard to believe Mr. Jordan kept all this to himself. No matter how much evidence of atrocities and inhumanity were presented to the mainstream media and to the liberals of this country, they were not moved. They were not moved, and Mr. Jordan's piece in the New York Times means that he wasn't, either. They knew what was going on in those prisons and torture rooms. They knew of the experiments. They knew of the rapes. However it doesn't appear they were moved by this depravity. Such was their seething hatred for George W. Bush, perhaps in combination with love for Bill Clinton and the nostalgia of that.

The truth is the truth. These people opposed the use of military force so that the suffering of others might end. They've cast their lot with the U.N. bureaucracy and the obstructionism of the French and the Germans and this whole appeasement plan, in hopes of derailing this war of liberation and scoring political points against the president they hate. That's the bottom line. They were doing whatever they could to stop this war. I'm sorry to have to include CNN in this, but the whole left-wing media was doing everything it could to thwart this war, and look at what they knew was going on all the while.

Listen to Rush...

(…read the entire, shocking, astounding and sad Eason Jordan admission)
(…continue his analysis on how the left closed its eyes to genocide)

Read the Article...

(NY Times: The News We Kept to Ourselves - Eason Jordan)

The News We Kept to Ourselves By EASON JORDAN

ATLANTA — Over the last dozen years I made 13 trips to Baghdad to lobby the government to keep CNN's Baghdad bureau open and to arrange interviews with Iraqi leaders. Each time I visited, I became more distressed by what I saw and heard — awful things that could not be reported because doing so would have jeopardized the lives of Iraqis, particularly those on our Baghdad staff.

For example, in the mid-1990's one of our Iraqi cameramen was abducted. For weeks he was beaten and subjected to electroshock torture in the basement of a secret police headquarters because he refused to confirm the government's ludicrous suspicion that I was the Central Intelligence Agency's Iraq station chief. CNN had been in Baghdad long enough to know that telling the world about the torture of one of its employees would almost certainly have gotten him killed and put his family and co-workers at grave risk.

Working for a foreign news organization provided Iraqi citizens no protection. The secret police terrorized Iraqis working for international press services who were courageous enough to try to provide accurate reporting. Some vanished, never to be heard from again. Others disappeared and then surfaced later with whispered tales of being hauled off and tortured in unimaginable ways. Obviously, other news organizations were in the same bind we were when it came to reporting on their own workers.

We also had to worry that our reporting might endanger Iraqis not on our payroll. I knew that CNN could not report that Saddam Hussein's eldest son, Uday, told me in 1995 that he intended to assassinate two of his brothers-in-law who had defected and also the man giving them asylum, King Hussein of Jordan. If we had gone with the story, I was sure he would have responded by killing the Iraqi translator who was the only other participant in the meeting. After all, secret police thugs brutalized even senior officials of the Information Ministry, just to keep them in line (one such official has long been missing all his fingernails).

Still, I felt I had a moral obligation to warn Jordan's monarch, and I did so the next day. King Hussein dismissed the threat as a madman's rant. A few months later Uday lured the brothers-in-law back to Baghdad; they were soon killed.

I came to know several Iraqi officials well enough that they confided in me that Saddam Hussein was a maniac who had to be removed. One Foreign Ministry officer told me of a colleague who, finding out his brother had been executed by the regime, was forced, as a test of loyalty, to write a letter of congratulations on the act to Saddam Hussein. An aide to Uday once told me why he had no front teeth: henchmen had ripped them out with pliers and told him never to wear dentures, so he would always remember the price to be paid for upsetting his boss. Again, we could not broadcast anything these men said to us.

Last December, when I told Information Minister Muhammad Said al-Sahhaf that we intended to send reporters to Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq, he warned me they would "suffer the severest possible consequences." CNN went ahead, and in March, Kurdish officials presented us with evidence that they had thwarted an armed attack on our quarters in Erbil. This included videotaped confessions of two men identifying themselves as Iraqi intelligence agents who said their bosses in Baghdad told them the hotel actually housed C.I.A. and Israeli agents. The Kurds offered to let us interview the suspects on camera, but we refused, for fear of endangering our staff in Baghdad.

Then there were the events that were not unreported but that nonetheless still haunt me. A 31-year-old Kuwaiti woman, Asrar Qabandi, was captured by Iraqi secret police occupying her country in 1990 for "crimes," one of which included speaking with CNN on the phone. They beat her daily for two months, forcing her father to watch. In January 1991, on the eve of the American-led offensive, they smashed her skull and tore her body apart limb by limb. A plastic bag containing her body parts was left on the doorstep of her family's home.

I felt awful having these stories bottled up inside me. Now that Saddam Hussein's regime is gone, I suspect we will hear many, many more gut-wrenching tales from Iraqis about the decades of torment. At last, these stories can be told freely.

Eason Jordan is chief news executive at CNN

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: CNN Knew of Saddam's Evil, But Did Not Report
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 03:03:39 PM »
cnn admitted this a long time ago, that they regrettably didn't report on attrocities because they would have lost access to the little info they had access to.

Please don't tell us that Rush is treating this as breaking news?

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 03:19:41 PM »
I'll admit I'm too lazy to read all that. So I'll just assume that this "proves" we were justified in conquering Iraq.

If I'm right, do I win a duckie?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 03:21:24 PM »
I'll admit I'm too lazy to read all that. So I'll just assume that this "proves" we were justified in conquering Iraq.

If I'm right, do I win a duckie?

it's intended to show the media is biased.

we didn't hear about this bias during the clinton presidency, or when bush was winning these wars. 

i guess it just became biased recently, as evidenced by um... this report of what CNN did in the "mid 1990s".

Uhh?

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 03:24:37 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks posts like these should be cut down, commented on mainly by the poster, with the most relevant parts highlighted?

I'm sure this is an interesting piece, but I'd just like to see shorter posts with more opinions from the people that actually post here.
Thread Killer

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:27:53 PM »
it's intended to show the media is biased.

The media are staffed by college-educated city-dwellers - both groups that are disproportionately Democratic. [I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to what that might signify.  ;D ]

And you know what? They still parrot every piece of bullshit that the regime feeds them to justify global warmongering and domestic fascism.

So: Anyone who complains about "liberal bias" = whining crybaby.

Hope this helps.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »
The media are staffed by college-educated city-dwellers - both groups that are disproportionately Democratic. [I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to what that might signify.  ;D ]

And you know what? They still parrot every piece of bullshit that the regime feeds them to justify global warmongering and domestic fascism.
So: Anyone who complains about "liberal bias" = whining crybaby.

Hope this helps.

Oh yes, this pretty much defines The New York Times, doesn't it?
Thread Killer

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 04:22:13 PM »
Oh yes, this pretty much defines The New York Times, doesn't it?

I don't know if you were being serious. But yes, the Times printed Judith Miller's stenography of the Bush regime's warmongering lies and show no signs of fully atoning for it.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 04:25:58 PM »
I don't know if you were being serious. But yes, the Times printed Judith Miller's stenography of the Bush regime's warmongering lies and show no signs of fully atoning for it.

I wasn't, but The Times is so blindly against everything the Bush Administation does that I find it hard to believe you didn't notice.  It's also become a financial basket-case ever since drifting deep into the depths of the Left.
Thread Killer

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 08:55:22 PM »
ya know what?  who gives a shit, really, what paper does what.

facts are facts.  all the papers do are interpret the facts to appeal to their base.

MSNBC will have a special comment on how bush is hurting civil rights, while FOX news will have a poll "Was Bush's State of Union speech 1) good 2) very good, or 3) great?"

They focus on aspects of the facts their readers/viewers want.  you do have the occasional lie, but if they have 200 stories a day and you can point out 5 problem stories in a year, well, that's pretty good.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 01:18:42 AM »
The most earth-shattering, unbelievable, astounding, shocking bit of news I have seen in quite some time is contained in an op-ed piece, a column in the New York Times by Eason Jordan, chief news executive at CNN. I just had to read this to you, in it's entirety – and you can hear that in the audio link below. The word has no doubt spread like wildfire about this piece, and if you have not read it, you should.

The only thing that is earth shattering is the fact that you believe this shit...Saddam was/is an american puppet who was put into power by america so he could/would allow america to USURP the Iraqi people of their wealth and more importantly their OIL!!!!

In case you just fell here from the MOON or something, America instigated the war between Iran and Iraq that killed 1,000,000 people. america shipped over WMDs of all type to Iraq to kill the Iranians. America instigated the invasion of Kuwait by cross drilling into Iraqi oil fields and thereby gave grounds for the initial invasion of Iraq to steal its oil...this was the Persian gulf War. Since then there have been many atttacks on the Iraqi people, government and cities by america and this latest COLONIZATION ONSLAUGHT of Iraq is just another example of what GREED, RACISM and CONTEMPT of another nation will cause.

The reason there was never any broadcasts of what was happening in Iraq is because it was being done by an america supported government and exposure would have exposed america. as it stands 700,000+ innocent Iraqis have been killed in the past two years with not so much as a tear being shed by a single american or much in the form of media coverage of it...once again to reveal this news is to reveal the real terrorist of the world...AMERICA....NOT SADDAM OR AMADINEJAHD
C