Author Topic: A Closer Look at Danny Padilla the Giant Killer!!!  (Read 30816 times)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: A Closer Look at Danny Padilla the Giant Killer!!!
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »
Alexxx… it was Danny’s influence that got me into bodybuilding. I remember vividly I was about 16. I had started working out in my basement a few years earlier but was really just trying to get a little stronger and bigger for wrestling and track. Then I started looking for gyms. At the time it was 1970 there were no real gyms in Rochester… just spa’s. I heard the Rochester Downtown YMCA had an very well equipped weight room (which was true).

I started training there and one day I walk in and Danny had just wo the Mr. Rochester and was getting done with an arm workout. He had on a guinea t-shirt (like a Hanes underwear tank top but that was what we called them… before anyone screams racism… I’m half Italian). I took one look and said to myself “That’s how I want to look” (I’m still trying to look like that). That image and that day will always be etched in my mind. It was several years later that I actually got to train with him. 

Use those times in your life to ignite the fuel in your workouts.

That must have been something to be able to train with your favorite bodybuilder! Those guys in the past had an aura from all the intensity they generate at least that is what I think. ;D
just push some weight!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2007, 05:07:38 PM »
I was at that show! In fact, I competed in that show!

That's awesome man! Where did you place? Did you beat Danny? ;D
just push some weight!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2007, 05:09:36 PM »
Very cool Max_Rep! You are very cool!! Thanks for all the info!

My pleasure Alexxx. In my opinion, useful info isn't to be hoarded, it's to be shared.
and keep moving!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2007, 05:30:28 PM »
That must have been something to be able to train with your favorite bodybuilder! Those guys in the past had an aura from all the intensity they generate at least that is what I think. ;D

It was awesome Alexxx… I was like a sponge soaking up every bit of info and giving everything I had in out training sessions.

That's awesome man! Where did you place? Did you beat Danny? ;D

I can’t remember because I came in off. I think 5th. However the year I trained with Danny (which was a year or two earlier) I was in the same show and placed 2nd. Danny had already won the USA. The same year I placed 2nd Danny convinced me to compete at the USA two weeks later. I went to New York city with him and competed. I got my a$$ handed to me. I was just happy that my physique did improve from the training I did with him. By the way that USA was the one that Kal Szkulak won. Danny and I had breakfast at the Holiday Inn with Kal and his wife then all took a cab over to the prejudging. I remember Kal’s chest walking into to the restaurant followed about 5 minutes later by his head.   
and keep moving!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »
It was awesome Alexxx… I was like a sponge soaking up every bit of info and giving everything I had in out training sessions.

I bet you did!

I can’t remember because I came in off. I think 5th. However the year I trained with Danny (which was a year or two earlier) I was in the same show and placed 2nd. Danny had already won the USA. The same year I placed 2nd Danny convinced me to compete at the USA two weeks later. I went to New York city with him and competed. I got my a$$ handed to me. I was just happy that my physique did improve from the training I did with him. By the way that USA was the one that Kal Szkulak won. Danny and I had breakfast at the Holiday Inn with Kal and his wife then all took a cab over to the prejudging. I remember Kal’s chest walking into to the restaurant followed about 5 minutes later by his head.   

Sounds like fun man. It was that big huh?

just push some weight!

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2007, 06:30:53 PM »
Giant Killer got fecked in many Weider shows (and pumping iron). He will always be "Da' Man' !!

My fave since 77... (im old now at 40) !!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »
I can't see tha image you posted Alexxx... yes Kal was that big.

I just remembered though "hypertrophy" was correct. That show where Pete and Danny guest posed was in fact, the Mr Rochester/Mr Western New York.
and keep moving!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2007, 07:59:45 PM »
I can't see tha image you posted Alexxx... yes Kal was that big.

I just remembered though "hypertrophy" was correct. That show where Pete and Danny guest posed was in fact, the Mr Rochester/Mr Western New York.

I fixed it. His chest almost looks like Arnold's in that side chest shot.
just push some weight!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
1990 NOC 3rd place behind the two men standing next to him.

Another fixed contest, given that the other two aren't even close. Small wonder he & so many of the top guys soured on IFBB BB contests in the early 80s.

whitewidow

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2007, 10:04:11 PM »
padilla was an absolute freak show. hard to belive he would eat just 60grams of protein per day.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2007, 12:53:34 AM »
padilla was an absolute freak show. hard to belive he would eat just 60grams of protein per day.

He only did that in 1981, for most of his career he ate more protein.
and keep moving!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2007, 07:51:25 AM »

Please elaborate Max_Rep...

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2007, 08:30:03 AM »
Please elaborate Max_Rep...

We had a mutual friend (Joe Fustor… who passed away in 1990) from Rochester who came out to L.A. in 1980 (same time as I did) Joe was working for the Pritikin Center in Pacific Palisades and began experimenting with the Pritikin Diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pritikin_diet) himself. Joe trained with Danny for his 1981 Mr. Olympia preps and Danny decided to use the diet for his preparations. I can’t tell you exactly how he ate for the 1990 NOC but I do know that it was much higher in protein. He came in much bigger and fuller in 1990 and nearly as ripped.

I can tell you that the times Danny didn’t peak were NOT due to WHAT he was doing. It was due to timing and how bad he wanted it. The guy OFTEN gave himself only 5 to 7 weeks to prepare for a show and you’d see dramatic increases in size and conditioning almost every 2 or 3 days. Now before anyone jumps to the obvious conclusion of drugs… yes Danny used them but NO his dosages (I know this for a fact) were miniscule by standards even then and almost nothing by todays standards.

Danny quite simply is a genetic freak. At 55 he still almost looks like a 24 year old kid. Not 1 wrinkle, no hair loss, freaky skin tone. Danny would come in the gym 5 to 7 weeks out having barely trained in months weighing about 140 and jump into contest mode gaining weight, size and conditioning up to the show. His best showings however, were the times he started in better shape and gave himself much more time.

As mentioned before he often felt the judging was against him so he’d be ripped two weeks out and go on a 2-week donut binge and smooth out. It was like psychologically he needed an excuse to fail.     

Hey guys I’m off to the Ironman… see you there and I’ll pick this up later.
and keep moving!

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2007, 08:48:46 AM »
damn
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »
We had a mutual friend (Joe Fustor… who passed away in 1990) from Rochester who came out to L.A. in 1980 (same time as I did) Joe was working for the Pritikin Center in Pacific Palisades and began experimenting with the Pritikin Diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pritikin_diet) himself. Joe trained with Danny for his 1981 Mr. Olympia preps and Danny decided to use the diet for his preparations.

Flex Magazine had an article on that a few years ago:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_5_22/ai_n6093052/print

whitewidow

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2007, 12:18:11 AM »

Not true. I knew the man well and off season he would eat very light. maybe 80-100grams a day. evven 12 weeks out he would be grazing on cashews and tuna for his protein he ate very little. he was a small man with a small appetite. he had some insane genetics and responded very well to dbol and deca and test cypionate. danny also used alot of halotestin.

The Heckler

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2007, 12:20:17 AM »
Not true. I knew the man well and off season he would eat very light. maybe 80-100grams a day. evven 12 weeks out he would be grazing on cashews and tuna for his protein he ate very little. he was a small man with a small appetite. he had some insane genetics and responded very well to dbol and deca and test cypionate. danny also used alot of halotestin.

::)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2007, 01:31:03 AM »

Whatever you say. 80-100 grams is more that 60 the last time I added and subtracted. Yes he liked dbol and decca. I never knew him to do test or halotestin. I'm not saying he couldn't have but why would he always talk about the decca and dbol openly and never mention the other two? Where they his secret weapon?

I never said I know EVERYTHING about the guy. Just what he told me when we trained together, sat and had meals in restaurants (Perkins on Ridge road in Irondequite, NY) every so often, Interviewed him for three hours for IRONMAN, shot the sh*t with him on every one of my visits to Rochester since 1980 (except for the time he actually lived in L.A) met him in 1971 and got to know him well in 1977. So what do I know about the guy? There are few people that know Danny much better than I do. Bob Chick is one of them Larry B is another and Rick B is a third. I guess you are a forth.   

and keep moving!

whitewidow

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2007, 01:57:22 AM »
Whatever you say. 80-100 grams is more that 60 the last time I added and subtracted. Yes he liked dbol and decca. I never knew him to do test or halotestin. I'm not saying he couldn't have but why would he always talk about the decca and dbol openly and never mention the other two? Where they his secret weapon?

I never said I know EVERYTHING about the guy. Just what he told me when we trained together, sat and had meals in restaurants (Perkins on Ridge road in Irondequite, NY) every so often, Interviewed him for three hours for IRONMAN, shot the sh*t with him on every one of my visits to Rochester since 1980 (except for the time he actually lived in L.A) met him in 1971 and got to know him well in 1977. So what do I know about the guy? There are few people that know Danny much better than I do. Bob Chick is one of them Larry B is another and Rick B is a third. I guess you are a forth.   

I said 80-100grams of protein off-season. about 12 weeks out he would drop down to 60-70grams daily. danny used test to compliment that deca. and halotestin later in his career not in the 70's. later 70's early 80's. and im sure for his 90 noc show. he almost died a few years back from a heart attack. he used more than you think.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2007, 04:23:22 AM »
I said 80-100grams of protein off-season. about 12 weeks out he would drop down to 60-70grams daily. danny used test to compliment that deca. and halotestin later in his career not in the 70's. later 70's early 80's. and im sure for his 90 noc show. he almost died a few years back from a heart attack. he used more than you think.

::)
and keep moving!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2007, 05:44:12 AM »
Danny at the 1981 Mr Olympia

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2007, 11:06:04 AM »
I was at that show! In fact, I competed in that show! But it wasn't the Mr. Rochester. It was the Mr. Empire State Competition. Held at the Henrietta, NY dome auitorium. Jim Rochell still has the poster for Danny and Pete posing up in his gym. And I was also going to RIT at the time... okay dude PM me and reveal yourself. I'm guessing we know each other.

Max_Rep,

Thanks for refreshing my memory! Mr. Empire State.  That was the first contest I ever went to, and I was blown away by the sport.  I also remember Pete Grymkowski doing commercials for a local bookstore in Rochester at the time. I can't recall the name of it though.

I went to RIT for chemistry and graduated in 1979. Its a big school, so maybe we crossed paths and never knew it. I used to work out at the RIT weight room. All 155 pounds of me when I first started, lol.

I was a bicycle racer at the time, and just got tired of being a skinny runt. A couple of guys I got to know at RIT were absolutely monstrous so I would go to the gym and work out when they did. There were some seriously competitive guys there. I'll bet I saw you at the time. This was all around the time of  Pumping Iron. If you had a competition picture of yourself at the time, It would probably jog my memory.

There was a guy who showed up in the weight room once  who was a Jr. Mr USA or something like that. I'll never forget. I thought if this guy is a Jr. champion, how the heck big are the pros!

BTW, I eventually went from 155 to 200 pounds in about a 2 year period when I switched to once a week bodypart training, as opposed to 2-3X per week. Different strokes I guess.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
Max,

Was Danny a squatter? I am curious about whether he avoided that exercise as a way to keep his waist small.
!

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »

If that's true than why in the Flex article did Danny say it was something he'd never done before (the 60 grams protein) and that he was actually a little scared doing it?

Look, I'm not saying you don't know Danny P, but stuff you're saying doesn't jive with what's come out of his own mouth. Plus, anyone can anonymously log on to a web forum and claim they know "Bob."

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »
Max,

Was Danny a squatter? I am curious about whether he avoided that exercise as a way to keep his waist small.

Yes Danny loves squating. He always talks about squating "in the hole" meaning deep. He can get away with is without ever over-developing his butt or hips. 
and keep moving!