Author Topic: Thomas Inch dumbells  (Read 2687 times)

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Thomas Inch dumbells
« on: February 16, 2007, 04:33:27 AM »

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
Re: Thomas Inch dumbells
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:25:25 AM »
Thanks Joe, those are great articles!! At this time who has lifted the Inch? I know, Kaz, Henery, and I think Pfister. Who else?
X

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 06:10:12 AM »
Thanks Joe, those are great articles!! At this time who has lifted the Inch? I know, Kaz, Henery, and I think Pfister. Who else?

I am not current with the list, unfortunately.

By 'lift' I assume you mean one hand all the way overhead? Many people have deadlifted one of the replicas, and as you know, getting the bell to the shoulder one handed is the hardest aspect, that is, anyone strong enough to clean the bell would probably be strong enough to put it overhead in some manner.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:59:44 AM »
I am not current with the list, unfortunately.

By 'lift' I assume you mean one hand all the way overhead? Many people have deadlifted one of the replicas, and as you know, getting the bell to the shoulder one handed is the hardest aspect, that is, anyone strong enough to clean the bell would probably be strong enough to put it overhead in some manner.
hey Joe are you allowed to deadlift the bell, put it on your knee and clean it from there or does it have to be cleaned directly from the ground to the shoulder without touching anything else? i've always wondered that.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 11:18:59 AM »
hey Joe are you allowed to deadlift the bell, put it on your knee and clean it from there or does it have to be cleaned directly from the ground to the shoulder without touching anything else? i've always wondered that.

If you clean it, then it must be clean/clear of body touch until reaching the shoulder.

If you continental it, then it can touch, even rest on,sections of your body.

The first time Phil Pfister tried to lift it at The Arnold, he deadlifted it to his right knee, knelt down so his thigh was parallel to the floor, then dragged the bell closer to himself, stood, used a knee kick and got it to the shoulder. While the bell was upright on his thigh, it started to lean over, so he simply touched it with his other hand for a split second to balance it. At that point, of course, technically, it abandoned being a one hand lift, and the judge told him to stop the attempt, a commandment Phil either did not hear or chose to ignore, and the crowd was screaming encouragement, so he finished the lift.

By the way, someone who is said to use the continental clean style is being described as contradiction- like saying he is using the touch/don't touch method to bring the bell to the shoulder.

Simply deadlifting an Inch is a feat for a man with a hand length of less than 7.5 inches.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 04:19:41 AM »
For those interested in the history of the four Inch dumbells:

Part 1: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ironhistory1.htm
Part 2: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ironhistory2.htm
Part 3: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ironhistory3.htm

Good articles and definetly not an easy thing to do! For a guy with small hands, how much more effort must he do to accomplish the movement? Is there any spcecial technique?
S

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 05:29:26 AM »
Good articles and definetly not an easy thing to do! For a guy with small hands, how much more effort must he do to accomplish the movement? Is there any spcecial technique?

If you use a plate loaded dumbell bar, you may have to deadlift about 212 (according to one man who did it) before you can deadlift the 172 Inch. And that's if the plates DO NOT revolve, which is the problem: your palm and four fingers are united against your thumb strength so the bell turns toward the thumb. That's why the Inch can he held at the top deadlift position if it rests against the thigh- negating the rotation.

John Wood had a clever idea. A teeter-todder set-up. Place the Inch on one end and enough weight on the other end to offset your lack of strength. As you become stronger, remove some offset weight.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 06:11:54 AM »
If you use a plate loaded dumbell bar, you may have to deadlift about 212 (according to one man who did it) before you can deadlift the 172 Inch. And that's if the plates DO NOT revolve, which is the problem: your palm and four fingers are united against your thumb strength so the bell turns toward the thumb. That's why the Inch can he held at the top deadlift position if it rests against the thigh- negating the rotation.

John Wood had a clever idea. A teeter-todder set-up. Place the Inch on one end and enough weight on the other end to offset your lack of strength. As you become stronger, remove some offset weight.
That is a good idea, thanx!
S