Author Topic: Repub Romney explains '92 vote for Democrat Tsongas  (Read 2140 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Repub Romney explains '92 vote for Democrat Tsongas
« on: February 16, 2007, 08:23:39 PM »
February 16, 2007

ABC News' Jonathan Greenberger Reports: Republican presidential candididate Mitt Romney offered a new explanation today for why he supported a Democrat in 1992.

That year, Romney, then a registered independent, voted for former Sen. Paul Tsongas in the 1992 Democratic presidential primary.  He told ABC's George Stephanopoulos, in an interview that will air Sunday on "This Week," that his vote was meant as a tactical maneuver aimed at finding the weakest opponent for incumbent President George H.W. Bush.

"In Massachusetts, if you register as an independent, you can vote in either the Republican or Democratic primary," said Romney, who until he made an unsuccessful run for Senate in 1994 had spent his adult life as a registered independent. "When there was no real contest in the Republican primary, I'd vote in the Democrat primary, vote for the person who I thought would be the weakest opponent for the Republican."

But 12 years ago, the Boston Globe reported that Romney was giving a different explanation for his vote for Tsongas. 

"Romney confirmed he voted for former U.S. Sen. Paul Tsongas in the state's 1992 Democratic presidential primary, saying he did so both because Tsongas was from Massachusetts and because he favored his ideas over those of Bill Clinton," the Boston Globe's Scot Lehigh and Frank Phillips wrote on Feb. 3, 1994. "He added he had been sure the G.O.P. would renominate George Bush, for whom he voted in the fall election."

Romney's contention that his vote for Tsongas was a vote for the weakest opponent for Bush - a phenomenon that political scientists refer to as "raiding" - surprised Professor William Mayer of Northeastern University in Boston.

"That would have been a strange election to have done that in, in the sense that Paul Tsongas was obviously going to carry his home state" of Massachusetts, said Mayer. Tsongas won the Massachusetts primary with 66 percent of the vote.

While statistical evidence of "raiding" is hard to come by, Mayer said most political scientists believe it is rare, since typically only 3 to 4 percent of voters in a Republican primary are actually Democrats, and vice versa.  It is rarer still, he said, for an independent, as Romney was, to "raid": "If you're so determined to help George Bush in 92 that you’re willing to vote for Paul Tsongas, it probably means you weren’t an independent."

Romney has previously come under fire for donating to a series of Democratic candidates in the 1992 election, including then-Congressmen Dick Swett, D-N.H., and John LaFalce, D-N.Y.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Repub Romney explains '92 vote for Democrat Tsongas
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 10:05:20 AM »
yes, he's quite the model for consistency.  He used to vote dem, and was pro-abortion just two years ago.

Suddenly he changes positions when he wants to be president.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 11:15:49 AM »
As an outspoken and admitted Republican, which Republican candidate do you support? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »
As an outspoken and admitted Republican, which Republican candidate do you support? 

I don't support any candidate yet.

I see you like to make Mitt Romney threads about 240.  What's your take on Romney's vote? (Of course you admitted you were voting Clinton back then, so...) ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 05:50:55 PM »
I don't support any candidate yet.

I see you like to make Mitt Romney threads about 240.   What's your take on Romney's vote? (Of course you admitted you were voting Clinton back then, so...) ;)

???

The explanation sounds pretty silly to me, but he was a registered independent, so he could vote for whomever he wanted.  Big deal. 

And I never "admitted" to voting for Clinton.  I stated it as a fact.  Voted for him twice, in fact.  Voted for Dubya twice.  Voted for Republican Governor Linda Lingle three times (she lost the first time around).  Too bad she cannot be prez. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 07:43:37 AM »
And I never "admitted" to voting for Clinton.  I stated it as a fact.  Voted for him twice, in fact. 

Wow.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 08:03:20 AM »
Too bad she cannot be prez. 

Christie Todd Whitman is my girl.  If she were to make a bid for the Presidency, she'd have my full support.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 08:18:44 AM »
Christie Todd Whitman is my girl.  If she were to make a bid for the Presidency, she'd have my full support.

Whitman "played ball" with Bush after 9/11.

Whitman's EPA gave the White House its report on the safety of the NY streets.  Asbestos, steel and glass in the air.  Serious standards required for cleaning in order to ensure safety.  The White House changed this report and published it.  Whitman stood up for the cameras and smiled as they Prez put forward her report, even tho she knew his changes would cost lives in the long term.  Her words: "I am glad to reassure the people of New York and Washington, D.C. that their air is safe to breathe and their water is safe to drink"

Her scientists had more guts, and came fwd with the actual report.  The air wasn't safe.  She put her obedience to Bush ahead of New Yorker lives.  She lost all credibility - if the EPA does what Bush says, why even have the EPA?  She retired 18 months later, irrelevant.

Whitman =  :-\

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 08:20:23 AM »
Mitt Romney... people pleaser!  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 09:52:21 AM »

She has fallen off the map.  What happened to her? 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 02:22:36 PM »

She took a low-level cabinet post in teh Bush administration...    talk about a career-killer!  ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 07:23:56 PM »

She was run out of town and blackballed two years into Bush’s first term because she tried to do her job as EPA administrator. 

That job is about protecting the environment and taking corporations to task for things they do that endanger the environment in pursuit of profits.  Corporations (and their supporters in the administration) didn’t like an aggressive EPA.  So, Christine had to go.  She was replaced by someone who would shut up and be a rubber stamp.

I didn't like her politics but I had great respect for her.  :-\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Todd_Whitman

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 08:35:08 AM »
She was run out of town and blackballed two years into Bush’s first term because she tried to do her job as EPA administrator. 

That job is about protecting the environment and taking corporations to task for things they do that endanger the environment in pursuit of profits.  Corporations (and their supporters in the administration) didn’t like an aggressive EPA.  So, Christine had to go.  She was replaced by someone who would shut up and be a rubber stamp.

I didn't like her politics but I had great respect for her.  :-\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Todd_Whitman

That wouldn't have anything to do with her support for the Log Cabin Republicans would it?   :)

"She has allied her PAC with the Republican Main Street Partnership, The Wish List, the Republican Majority for Choice, Republicans for Choice, Republicans for Environmental Protection and The Log Cabin Republicans."

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »
This is a difficult interview to watch.  Romney is such a flip flopper I don’t know how anyone can take him seriously.  Worst of all, he is willing to run for president even though he knows that this campaign will put stress on his wife who is battling multiple sclerosis.  Is winning the White House worth that?  I can’t respect a man who would ask that of his wife.  >:(

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/Politics/story?id=2884537&page=1

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »
I just cna't believe he's not being laughed out of the running for changing his mind so frequently.

Are we that desperate for candidates that we can't find one person who hasn't flipflopped for donators?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 11:53:53 AM »
I just cna't believe he's not being laughed out of the running for changing his mind so frequently.

Worked for Clinton I...

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 10:43:46 AM »
Mitt Romney's Extreme Makeover
By Ruth Marcus
Wednesday, February 21, 2007; A15

Precisely two years ago, Mitt Romney, then the governor of Massachusetts but already eyeing a 2008 presidential bid, sat in the coffee shop of a Washington hotel, doing his best not to explain his views on abortion.

Romney was speaking to a few of us from The Post, and my colleague Dan Balz noted the similarity between Romney's expressed views on abortion rights and the stance of another Massachusetts politician, Sen. John F. Kerry: Both men said they were personally opposed to abortion but did not support making it illegal.

From there, Romney proceeded to expound one of the odder positions I've heard in years of listening to politicians talk about a subject most would prefer to avoid: "I can tell you what my position is, and it's in a very narrowly defined sphere, as candidate for governor and as governor of Massachusetts," he said. "What I said to people was that I personally did not favor abortion, that I am personally pro-life. However, as governor I would not change the laws of the commonwealth relating to abortion.

"Now I don't try and put a bow around that and say what does that mean you are -- does that mean you're pro-life or pro-choice, because that whole package -- meaning I'm personally pro-life but I won't change the laws, you could describe that as -- well, I don't think you can describe it in one hyphenated word."

Got it? I didn't, and I asked, "Do you support making abortion illegal? I'm not talking about what you would do as governor of Massachusetts."

Romney: "But that's the furthest I'm going to take you right now. I'm governor of Massachusetts, and I'm telling you exactly what I will do as governor of Massachusetts, but I'm not going to tell you what I'd do as mayor of Boston or a congressman or any of those positions."

I reprint so much of Romney's answer (you can read or listen to the full exchange online) because its baroque circumlocutions seemed to say so much about him. It was hard to know what Romney actually thought about abortion rights other than that this was a political minefield it was best to avoid stepping into for as long as possible.

But it was also hard to see how a man with deeply held convictions on abortion rights -- either for or against -- could take a position so calibrated and inconclusive. Listening to Romney that day was like watching a chameleon in the fleeting moment that its color changes to suit its environment. Indeed, several months later, after vetoing a bill to expand access to emergency contraception, Romney wrote in the Boston Globe about how his views on the subject had "evolved and deepened."

Evolved, indeed. During his Massachusetts races, Romney paraded his conviction that "abortion should be safe and legal in this country" and promised that "you will not see me wavering" on Roe v. Wade.

Now Romney says he opposes abortion except in cases of rape and incest or to save the life of the mother, and supports overturning Roe. At the National Review Institute Conservative Summit last month -- at the very hotel where he had told us of his commitment to not altering state law one way or another -- Romney boasted that each time an issue involving reproductive rights came up during his governorship, "on every single one of them I came down on the side of respecting human life."

Romney's "Extreme Makeover: Political Edition" goes beyond abortion rights. Once he supported allowing gays to serve openly in the military and backed a federal law to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation -- not anymore. He's gone from saying "I don't line up with the NRA" to becoming, last August, a life member.

Romney told the Boston Globe in 1994 that, as a registered independent, he voted in the 1992 Democratic primary for Paul Tsongas because Tsongas was from Massachusetts and he favored Tsongas's ideas over Bill Clinton's. Appearing last weekend on ABC's "This Week," Romney offered a contradictory explanation: "When there was no real contest in the Republican primary, I'd vote in the Democrat primary, vote for the person who I thought would be the weakest opponent for a Republican."

Surely a man with a Harvard MBA could do better than that. At the time of the primary, Tsongas was doing better than Clinton in matchups against George H.W. Bush. And Tsongas didn't need Romney's help trouncing Clinton in his home state.

To give this explanation the credit it doesn't deserve, Romney's rationale boils down to arguing that he didn't really mean his vote; he was just trying to game the political process. Those considering Romney in 2008 have reason to wonder what a politician who admits so freely to that kind of manipulation is willing to do to win their votes.

Are there any GOP members on this board that support Mitt?