Author Topic: Obama: U.S. Ready for Black President  (Read 9473 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama: U.S. Ready for Black President
« on: February 17, 2007, 11:26:12 AM »
But the question is:  is America ready for a HALF black president?   :)

Feb 17, 1:29 PM EST
Obama: U.S. Ready for Black President
By JIM DAVENPORT
Associated Press Writer

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) -- White House hopeful Barack Obama, taking a fellow black lawmaker to task, said Saturday voters are ready to elect a black president.

"At every turn in our history, there's been somebody who said we can't," the Democratic senator from Illinois told a nearly all-black audience of about 2,000 at Claflin University.

"Some people said we can't do this, we can't do that, so we shouldn't even try. If I have your support, if I have your energy and involvement and commitment and ideas, then I'm here to tell you, 'Yes we can.'"

The comments drew the loudest ovation during a question-and-answer session in his first campaign swing through South Carolina, an early voting state.

The first-in-the-South contest here is seen as a test of candidates' abilities to reach black voters. Half of the state's Democratic primary voters are black.

Obama responded to comments this past week by Democratic state Sen. Robert Ford of Charleston, who helped mobilize black voters for former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards in 2004, but has switched to Hillary Rodham Clinton in the 2008 presidential race.

Ford said Tuesday that Obama, a first-term senator, has much to prove. "The media made this guy bigger than life," Ford said. "This guy isn't tested and they made him a rock star."

Ford said one reason he was supporting Clinton, the New York senator, is that he is skeptical Obama can win the presidency and worries his nomination could hurt other Democratic candidates.

"Every Democrat running on that ticket next year would lose - because he's black and he's top of the ticket. We'd lose the House and the Senate and the governors and everything," Ford said.

Ford drew widespread criticism for his comment and later apologized.

U.S. House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, D-S.C., introduced Obama, saying "Run, Barack, run."

"Obama is able to run today because Rosa Parks sat down," Clyburn said. "He is able to run today because Septima Clark stood up."

Parks, in 1955, refused to give up her bus seat to a white man in Montgomery, Ala., sparking a mass boycott by thousands, mainly black women domestic workers who had long filled the buses' back seats.

Clark was an educator and activist for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People decades before the nation's attention turned to racial equality.

Clyburn says he is not endorsing a primary candidate.

State Democratic Party Chairman Joe Erwin tells candidates the race is open and the black vote is not monolithic.

Darcel Lancaster, an 18-year-old Claflin freshman, spent nearly two hours waiting in the morning's chill to be the first in line to see Obama. The biology major said she wouldn't commit to Obama's campaign.

"I'm going to look more into others," she said.

She doesn't expect him to win every black vote - including hers.

"Some people think he's not black enough," Lancaster said. If she picked Obama, it wouldn't be because of his race, she said. "He's not full black," Lancaster said.

U.S. Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut spoke earlier Saturday at a Richland County Democratic Party breakfast to a crowd of less than 100.

Both Dodd and Obama had to shorten their South Carolina visits to get back to Washington for a Senate vote on a resolution opposing the Iraq war.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBAMA_2008?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Obama: U.S. Ready for Black President
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 11:46:36 AM »
more racial bullshit.

nobody cares except those with an axe to grind against a certain group.

people who post articles like this only work to further create racial rension.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »

"Every Democrat running on that ticket next year would lose - because he's black and he's top of the ticket. We'd lose the House and the Senate and the governors and everything," Ford said.

Ford drew widespread criticism for his comment and later apologized.

This is an inflammatory comment, but probably pretty close to the truth. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 07:53:31 PM »
One aside.  Obama is actually mixed race.  I don't know why this is mentioned so little.  Dad was Kenyan and mom some kind of caucasian.
I think he presents himself very well and looking forward to hearing more about his platforms.  I'd be happy to elect a black, hispanic, caucasian, indian, native american, asian...etc (you get the point) if they will be the best for this country (and are moderate).  Thankfully, Race matters less and less in most American's eyes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 08:20:25 PM »
One aside.  Obama is actually mixed race.  I don't know why this is mentioned so little.  Dad was Kenyan and mom some kind of caucasian.
I think he presents himself very well and looking forward to hearing more about his platforms.  I'd be happy to elect a black, hispanic, caucasian, indian, native american, asian...etc (you get the point) if they will be the best for this country (and are moderate).  Thankfully, Race matters less and less in most American's eyes.

It is brought up quite a bit.  You missed the "Halfrican American" strings on this board.   :)

I agree it shouldn't matter.  I don't vote based on skin color, ethnicity, etc.  Unfortunately, many people still do. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 11:44:47 PM »
It is brought up quite a bit.  You missed the "Halfrican American" strings on this board.   :)

I agree it shouldn't matter.  I don't vote based on skin color, ethnicity, etc.  Unfortunately, many people still do. 

It's brought up twice a day BY YOU, behavior similar to that of a closet racist.

"It shouldn't matter"?  No shit, sherlock.  But you start two debates a day on it.

And you need to stop using that derogatory descriptor.

Seriously, do you start conversations about peoples' race every day in public?  Cause in real life, you'd get your lip split, or youd' be socially shunned for doing something so unprofessional and obnoxious.  As a college professor (haha) you'd know that.

I guess since you cannot bash obama for his positions on topics, you can bring up his skin color constantly.  It's people like you that perpetuate these divisions in society.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 11:47:29 PM »
the only way amreeka would ever get a knee grow president is if he was the biggest uncle tom in the world

berserker, u running :D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 08:10:23 AM »

I'm old school - he got black skin, so he (be) Black.

Seriously, though, my problem with Obama is that he's too green and his timing is bad.  When Clinton got himself elected on that tragic day back in 1992, as an unknown, his timing was perfect.  He wasn't well-positioned for national politics, but the window was wide open for a newcomer who happened to be both White and Southern. 

Obama is currently the 'hey, look at me - I've got some ideas!' guy.  But there isn't enough of a track record to conclude that this man is 'presidential' enough to lead this nation. 

So, I'm not telling Obama not to run because he's Black.  I'm asking him not to run because he really is not electable at this time.  He should spend time speaking and writing and let his words and Senate voting record build for him a resumé that he can use for a possible White House run in the future.

Oh, and he should change his first name, too.   ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 09:56:34 AM »
It's brought up twice a day BY YOU, behavior similar to that of a closet racist.

"It shouldn't matter"?  No shit, sherlock.  But you start two debates a day on it.

And you need to stop using that derogatory descriptor.

Seriously, do you start conversations about peoples' race every day in public?  Cause in real life, you'd get your lip split, or youd' be socially shunned for doing something so unprofessional and obnoxious.  As a college professor (haha) you'd know that.

I guess since you cannot bash obama for his positions on topics, you can bring up his skin color constantly.  It's people like you that perpetuate these divisions in society.

Does this mean you will not vote for a Halfrican American for president? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »
I'm old school - he got black skin, so he (be) Black.

Seriously, though, my problem with Obama is that he's too green and his timing is bad.  When Clinton got himself elected on that tragic day back in 1992, as an unknown, his timing was perfect.  He wasn't well-positioned for national politics, but the window was wide open for a newcomer who happened to be both White and Southern. 

Obama is currently the 'hey, look at me - I've got some ideas!' guy.  But there isn't enough of a track record to conclude that this man is 'presidential' enough to lead this nation. 

So, I'm not telling Obama not to run because he's Black.  I'm asking him not to run because he really is not electable at this time.  He should spend time speaking and writing and let his words and Senate voting record build for him a resumé that he can use for a possible White House run in the future.

Oh, and he should change his first name, too.   ;)

Tre his timing is actually very good.  He is still a rock star.  The race is wide open (although I think the Democrat nod is Hillary's to lose).  The Republican party does not have an unbeatable candidate.  There is no incumbent.  I completely understand why he's running now. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 10:16:28 AM »
Does this mean you will not vote for a Halfrican American for president? 

you're a fking disrespectful racist.

I'm betting if you were standing in a room full of African Americans you wouldn't have the balls to make such statements.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 10:22:44 AM »
you're a fking disrespectful racist.

I'm betting if you were standing in a room full of African Americans you wouldn't have the balls to make such statements.

I'll take that as a "no." 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 10:24:11 AM »
I'll take that as a "no." 

I take that as you admit you're a racist who makes slurs here that would get your lip split in real life.

Toss in the fact that you voted Clinton twice and you endorse letting thousands of iraqi refugees live here...

You bring shame to this nation, Beach Bum.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 10:28:20 AM »
I take that as you admit you're a racist who makes slurs here that would get your lip split in real life.

Toss in the fact that you voted Clinton twice and you endorse letting thousands of iraqi refugees live here...

You bring shame to this nation, Beach Bum.

When was the last time you were in "a room full of African Americans"? 

Actually, a better question is when was the last time you were in a room full of Halfrican Americans?  Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 10:31:11 AM »
When was the last time you were in "a room full of African Americans"? 

Actually, a better question is when was the last time you were in a room full of Halfrican Americans?  Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

you are a racist.  you disgust me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 10:32:12 AM »
you are a racist.  you disgust me.

LOL.   ;D

::)

P.S.  I think the answer to both questions might be either "never" or "not any time in the past decade." 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »
Which seems to be a problem for certain black groups.... he's not "black enough".  I find that point of view pathetic and sad.  I'm willing to either vote for the man or not vote for the man based on his positions and views, his race is immaterial to me. Yet groups for whom race is supposedly important, deny him his "blackness" because he's not "black enough".  ::) ::) ::)   That kind of thing makes me want to toss a bomb into NAACP headquarters and Jesse Jackson's digs . (note to FBI or NSA agents surely reading this.... I'm not really contemplating tossing a bomb anywhere. In fact, I would have no idea how to even make a bomb. I'm expressing political frustration and that's it, okay?  No patriot act violation here! Just free speech.  ::) )

Goatboy, WAKE UP! Free speech IS a Patriot Act violation! This isn't an NAACP thing.

It's a "legacy of slavery in America" thing, where the chains came of the bodies, but not off the minds thing.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 10:50:44 AM »
Beach Bum, I bet you don't own any Kanye West records.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 10:52:33 AM »
Beach Bum, I bet you don't own any Kanye West records.

::)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
This isn't an NAACP thing.

Sure it is.  Obama is a qualified black man running for president, and because he may not embrace their full agenda, they (and those like them) say he isn't "black enough"?  That's disgusting on several levels.
Ron: "I am lazy."

sandycoosworth

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »
uncle tom!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
Sure it is.  Obama is a qualified black man running for president, and because he may not embrace their full agenda, they (and those like them) say he isn't "black enough"?  That's disgusting on several levels.

I tend to agree.  The NAACP does some good things, but I doubt they support many, if any, black conservatives. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »

Are you saying the NAACP has denounced Obama's candidacy on the ground that "he is not Black enough" ?
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 12:10:22 PM »
I tend to agree.  The NAACP does some good things, but I doubt they support many, if any, black conservatives. 

Are you saying Barack Obama is a Black conservative? What planet are you on?
w

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 12:14:33 PM »
Are you saying the NAACP has denounced Obama's candidacy on the ground that "he is not Black enough" ?

I am saying several so-called "black leaders" have said he is "not black enough", on the grounds that he may not support their full agenda.  I don't know if the NAACP specifically is one of them or not, but I think it is beyond ironic that groups who claim to support the advancement of Black people would try to deny Senator Obama his "blackness" on this basis.  It demonstrates that these groups are not really all about helping Black people, but are rather about maintaining their own wealth and power-base.
Ron: "I am lazy."