Author Topic: WHY DO POWERLIFTERS THINK THEY ARE DOING A BENCH PRESS?  (Read 3471 times)

The Heckler

Re: WHY DO POWERLIFTERS THINK THEY ARE DOING A BENCH PRESS?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 12:21:25 AM »
yes, and you suffered severe organ trama while dribbling down your mother's leg.

"trama"?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 12:23:24 AM »
whats the point? a bench with 'equipment' is not your real strength. why not just use a forklift? 'hey yeah i bench 2300...oh by the way my raw bench is 130 though'.
a real bench press IS a raw bench. whats the point of using shirts just to get a higher number? i just dont get it.

whew, home from work. okay, in order to understand why shirted benches have gotten how they are you have to look at their history.

initially shirts and suits were a safety measure. think compression shorts and the equivalent around your shoulders. people noticed you get a few extra pounds out of them, and the tighter you got them (the smaller the size you bought) the more of a boost. naturally, then, the materials got stronger to allow people to get tighter gear. multi-ply and alternate materials evolved in order to aid in the bigger guys, and federations split up to define what they think is "fair". you have raw feds, single ply, double-ply with tricky rules, and a few completely unsanctioned meets where anything goes (but records aren't really recognized there).

me, i think you have two options as a lifter. either go 100% raw (belt only, knee sleeves and wrist wraps for safety), or deck out all the gear you can. the reasoning is simple. if i put an extremely tight single-ply shirt on a small guy with a low bench, he's barely going to be able to touch his max weight in it. that same shirt on a superheavy with a raw bench over 600 isn't going to get shit out of it. proportionately speaking the lighter guy is getting an ENORMOUS boost out of the thing and the bigger guy is getting very little.

thus, allowing everyone to use gear that makes it hard to touch the bar to their chests or squat to parallel is the only way to make things equal. after all, if i put on the kind of shirt gene rychlak wears, i wouldn't be able to do anything. i wouldn't be able to move. if he put mine on, it'd be like wearing a tight t-shirt. you wear the gear that requires your max to acquire legal depth or touching to the chest or whatever. it's a perfectly even playing field.

a bench with a shirt isn't your "real strength", but it's a sport now and people enjoy getting good at it. you might as well tell baseball players to stop wearing gloves or make football players take off their pads. that's just how the game works.

go read a book about physics. Then I want you to write a two page essay about how you are a dumbfuck for using words you don't know the meaning of, and how it is not possible to bench press without momentum.

you should stop thinking that because you took physics 1 in high school it means you can march around acting like you're smart shit. momentum is mass * velocity. thus, a bench press with a pause at the bottom means the bar isn't moving at the beginning of the press, thus it has no initial momentum (and if you need me to explain why that is i'm not sure how to help you).

a bench press with a BOUNCE or something similar, however, has a great deal of initial velocity before the muscles actually take the load, and as a result when you actually start pushing, there IS momentum. and since power is work/time, and work is force*distance, realizing that upward velocity lessens the amount of force necessary to move the mass over the distance which means less work is done, so in this case MOMENTUM is used to lessen the amount of WORK the lifter is doing, which means less POWER.

now, you could play semantics here and say "well i didn't know you only meant initial momentum, you should have been more specific," but i think the better idea is for you to back away and realize that your feeble little attempt to sound educated went down in flames.

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 12:30:19 AM »
"trama"?

actual meaning being "tranny llama," therefore, trama.

Why heckler when you can strangle her?

Doublemonk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 04:46:05 PM »
you should stop thinking that because you took physics 1 in high school it means you can march around acting like you're smart shit.

lol, still can't get over that. Nice assuming. but you are slightly off, hey but just a tiny bit ::).
And I won't comment on the rest you typed as it doesn't change a single thing of what i typed.

now, you could play semantics here and say "well i didn't know you only meant initial momentum, you should have been more specific," but i think the better idea is for you to back away and realize that your feeble little attempt to sound educated went down in flames.

Maybe it's just me but you are the one that tries to look educated. I'm "really" impressed by your knowledge of the basic formulas and their connection with each other. Looks like you are the one that took the physics course in high school and now tries to brag with his extended knowledge. But what you fail to realize that with all your mighty knowledge you shared with us on this topic you only explained that the amount of momentum can be altered. But that is beside the point I was making. The only thing I was saying, if a weight is moved momentum is occuring. Nothing more nothing less. But thanks for making a totally irrelevant post about what I said and trying to teach me.
But I apologize if you felt insulted by my post even though I wasn't talking to you. And please don't start an official Doublemonk/Zachg challenge thread about this.  ;)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »
"trama"?

lol, "trama" best describes that the adonis principle does to the human body
Here comes the money shot

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 07:05:19 PM »
whew, home from work. okay, in order to understand why shirted benches have gotten how they are you have to look at their history.

initially shirts and suits were a safety measure. think compression shorts and the equivalent around your shoulders. people noticed you get a few extra pounds out of them, and the tighter you got them (the smaller the size you bought) the more of a boost. naturally, then, the materials got stronger to allow people to get tighter gear. multi-ply and alternate materials evolved in order to aid in the bigger guys, and federations split up to define what they think is "fair". you have raw feds, single ply, double-ply with tricky rules, and a few completely unsanctioned meets where anything goes (but records aren't really recognized there).

me, i think you have two options as a lifter. either go 100% raw (belt only, knee sleeves and wrist wraps for safety), or deck out all the gear you can. the reasoning is simple. if i put an extremely tight single-ply shirt on a small guy with a low bench, he's barely going to be able to touch his max weight in it. that same shirt on a superheavy with a raw bench over 600 isn't going to get shit out of it. proportionately speaking the lighter guy is getting an ENORMOUS boost out of the thing and the bigger guy is getting very little.

thus, allowing everyone to use gear that makes it hard to touch the bar to their chests or squat to parallel is the only way to make things equal. after all, if i put on the kind of shirt gene rychlak wears, i wouldn't be able to do anything. i wouldn't be able to move. if he put mine on, it'd be like wearing a tight t-shirt. you wear the gear that requires your max to acquire legal depth or touching to the chest or whatever. it's a perfectly even playing field.

a bench with a shirt isn't your "real strength", but it's a sport now and people enjoy getting good at it. you might as well tell baseball players to stop wearing gloves or make football players take off their pads. that's just how the game works.

you should stop thinking that because you took physics 1 in high school it means you can march around acting like you're smart shit. momentum is mass * velocity. thus, a bench press with a pause at the bottom means the bar isn't moving at the beginning of the press, thus it has no initial momentum (and if you need me to explain why that is i'm not sure how to help you).

a bench press with a BOUNCE or something similar, however, has a great deal of initial velocity before the muscles actually take the load, and as a result when you actually start pushing, there IS momentum. and since power is work/time, and work is force*distance, realizing that upward velocity lessens the amount of force necessary to move the mass over the distance which means less work is done, so in this case MOMENTUM is used to lessen the amount of WORK the lifter is doing, which means less POWER.

I don't recall Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Dimaggio, Williams, Mantle, Mays, Aaron or anybody prior to the 80's wearing gloves.  Their numbers are unmatched.  Perhaps you should try a different analogy.