Author Topic: Speaking of Democrats and the Iraq war......their own words.  (Read 4601 times)

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
Speaking of Democrats and the Iraq war......their own words.
« on: February 17, 2007, 05:22:59 PM »
Take some time and enjoy.

Quote:
October 9th, 1999 Letter to President Clinton Signed by Senators Levin, Lieberman, Lautenberg, Dodd, Kerrey, Feinstein, Mikulski, Daschle, Breaux, Johnson, Inouye, Landrieu, Ford and Kerry — all Democrats
“We urge you, after consulting with Congress and consistent with the US Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions, including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq’s refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs.”
Quote:
Joe Biden > August 4, 2002
“This is a guy who is an extreme danger to the world, and this is a guy who is in every way possible seeking weapons of mass destruction.”
Quote:
Bill Clinton > February 17, 1998
“If Saddam rejects peace, and we have to use force, our purpose is clear: We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction program.”
Quote:
Chuck Schumer > October 10, 2002
“It is Hussein’s vigorous pursuit of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons, and his present and future potential support for terrorist acts and organizations that make him a danger to the people of the united states.”
Quote:
Madeleine Albright > February 1, 1998
“We must stop Saddam from ever again jeopardizing the stability and the security of his neighbors with weapons of mass destruction.”
Quote:
Nancy Pelosi > December 16, 1998
“Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology, which is a threat to countries in the region, and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process.”
Quote:
John Kerry > January 23, 2003
“Without question we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator leading an impressive regime. He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. And now he’s miscalculating America’s response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction. His consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction.”
Quote:
Al Gore > September 23, 2002
“We know that he has stored nuclear supplies, secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country.”
Quote:
Sandy Berger > February 18, 1998
“He’ll use those weapons of mass destruction again as he has 10 times since 1983.”
Quote:
John Kerry > October 9, 2002
“I will be voting to give the president of the US the authority to use force if necessary to disarm Saddam because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security.”
Quote:
Senator Carl Levin > September 19, 2002
“We begin with a common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations, is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them.”
Quote:
Ted Kennedy > September 27, 2002
“We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction.”
Quote:
Senator Hillary Clinton > October 10, 2002
“In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock. His missile delivery capability, his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists including Al-Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons.”
Quote:
Jay Rockefeller > October 10, 2002
“There was unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years. We also should remember that we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction.”
Quote:
Madeleine Albright > November 10, 1999
“Hussein has chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies.”
Quote:
“[H]e does have the capacity, as all terrorist-related operations do, of smuggling stuff into the United States and doing something terrible. That is true. But there’s been no connection, hard connection made yet between he and al-Qaida or his willingness or effort to do that thus far. Doesn’t mean he won’t. This is a bad guy.”
Quote:
Robert Byrd > October 3, 2002
“The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of ‘98. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons.”
Quote:
Madeline Albright > February 18, 2002
Iraq is a long way from (here), but what happens there matters a great deal here, for the risk that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest national security threat we face — and it is a threat against which we must and will stand firm.”
Quote:
“Iraq’s search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter, and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power.”
Quote:
Jane Harman > August 27, 2002
“I certainly think (Hussein’s) developing nuclear capability which, fortunately, the Israelis set back 20 years ago with their preemptive attack which, in hindsight, looks pretty darn good.”
Quote:
“I think he has anthrax. I have not seen any evidence that he has smallpox, but you hear them say, Tim (Russert), is the last smallpox outbreak in the world was in Iraq; ergo, he may have a strain.”
Quote:
Dick Durbin > September 30, 1999
“One of the most compelling threats we in this country face today is the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. Threat assessments regularly warn us of the possibility that North Korea, Iran, Iraq, or some other nation may acquire or develop nuclear weapons.”
Quote:
Bill Clinton > December 17, 1998
“Earlier today, I ordered America’s armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq…. Their mission is to attack Iraq’s nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors.”
Quote:
Bill Nelson > August 25, 2002
“[M]y own personal view is, I think Saddam
has chemical and biological weapons,
and I expect that he is trying to develop
a nuclear weapon. So at some point,
we might have to act precipitously.”
Quote:
Hillary Clinton > October 10, 2002
“In the four years since the inspections, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability and his nuclear program.”
Quote:
Nancy Pelosi > October 10, 2002
“Yes, he has chemical weapons. Yes, he has biological weapons. He is trying to get nuclear weapons.”
Quote:
Dick Gephardt > September 23, 2002
“(I have seen) a large body of intelligence information over a long time that he is working on and has weapons of mass destruction. Before 1991, he was close to a nuclear device. Now, you’ll get a debate about whether it’s one year away or five years away.”
Quote:
Evan Bayh > August 4, 2002
“I’m inclined to support going in there and dealing with Saddam, but I think that case
needs to be made on a separate basis: his possession of biological and chemical weapons, his desire to get nuclear weapons, his proven track record of attacking his neighbors and others.”
Quote:
Russell Feingold > October 9, 2002
“With regard to Iraq, I agree Iraq presents a genuine threat, especially in the form of weapons of mass destruction: chemical, biological and potentially nuclear weapons. I agree that Saddam Hussein is exceptionally dangerous and brutal, if not uniquely so, as the president argues.”
Quote:
“We have to defend our future from these predators of the 21st Century…. They will be all the more lethal if we allow them to build arsenals of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them. We simply cannot allow that to happen. There is no more clear example of this threat than Saddam Hussein.”
Quote:
Johnny Edwards > January 7, 2003
“Serving on the intelligence committee and seeing day after day, week after week, briefings on Saddam’s weapons of mass destruction and his plans on using those weapons, he cannot be allowed to have nuclear weapons. It’s just that simple. The whole world changes if Saddam ever has nuclear weapons.”
Quote:
Hillary Clinton > January 22, 2003
“I voted for the Iraqi resolution. I consider the prospect of a nuclear-armed Saddam Hussein who can threaten not only his neighbors but the stability of the region and the world, a very serious threat to the United States.”
Quote:
John Kerry > January 31, 2003
“If you don’t believe…Saddam Hussein
is a threat with nuclear weapons, then
you shouldn’t vote for me.”
Quote:
“We know he continues to attempt to gain access to additional capability, including nuclear capability.”
Quote:
Bill Nelson > September 14, 2002
“I believe he has chemical and biological weapons. I think he’s trying to develop nuclear weapons, and the fact that he might use those is a considerable threat to us.”
Quote:
Johnny Edwards > February 6, 2003
“The question is whether we’re going to allow this man who’s been developing weapons of mass destruction continue to develop weapons of mass destruction, get nuclear capability and get to the place where — if we’re going to stop him if he invades a country around him — it’ll cost millions of lives as opposed to thousands of lives.”
Quote:
“We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country.”
Quote:
“First of all, we don’t know exactly what he has. It’s been five years since inspectors have been in there, number one. Number two, it is clear that he has residual of chemical weapons and biological weapons, number one.”
Quote:
Tom Daschle > February 11, 1998
“The (Clinton) administration has said, ‘Look, we have exhausted virtually our diplomatic effort to get the Iraqis to comply with their own agreements and with international law. Given that, what other option is there but to force them to do so?’ That’s what they’re saying. This is the key question. And the answer is we don’t have another option. We have got to force them to comply, and we are doing so militarily.”
Quote:
Senator Bob Graham > December 8, 2002
“We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has and has had for a number of years a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction.”
Quote:
Bill Richardson > May 29, 1998
“The threat of nuclear proliferation is one of the big challenges that we have now, especially by states that have nuclear weapons, outlaw states like Iraq.”
Quote:
John Kerry > February 23, 1998
“Saddam Hussein has already used these weapons and has made it clear that he has the intent to continue to try, by virtue of his duplicity and secrecy, to continue to do so. That is a threat to the stability of the Middle East. It is a threat with respect to the potential of terrorist activities on a global basis. It is a threat even to regions near but not exactly in the Middle East.”
Quote:
Hillary Clinton > October 10, 2002
“It is clear, however, that if left unchecked Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capability to wage biological and chemical warfare and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons.”
Quote:
Al Gore > December 16, 1998
f you allow someone like Saddam Hussein to get nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, chemical weapons, biological weapons, how many people is he going to kill with such weapons? He has already demonstrated a willingness to use such weapons…”
W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Speaking of Democrats and the Iraq war......their own words.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »
Mightymouse don't you know they were all given bad intel by Bush?  Including the ones who made those statements BEFORE Bush took office?  Liars.  All of them. 

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 05:44:30 PM »
Mightymouse don't you know they were all given bad intel by Bush?  Including the ones who made those statements BEFORE Bush took office?  Liars.  All of them. 

all liars or this is the biggest conspriacy since......ever!

W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 05:59:41 PM »
all liars or this is the biggest conspriacy since......ever!

I agree.  Impeachment!  I say we demand Congressional hearings. 

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
I agree.  Impeachment!  I say we demand Congressional hearings. 

beach, are you hearing crickets out on the island??
W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 08:26:11 PM »
beach, are you hearing crickets out on the island??

*CRICKETS*
Actually, coqui frogs are much louder and much more of a nuisance here in the islands.   :)

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 09:03:26 PM »
cute
W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 11:41:19 PM »
2003/2003:
CIA got info.
CIA gave info to DoD.
DoD ran it thru Feith's office.
Feith *sorted* it.
Feith gave it to White House.
White House gave it to Congress.
Congress made decisions and these statements.

Then, in 2007:
Internal independent Pentagon audit reveals Feith made up the info.
Congress realizes they were lied to by White House.
Congress votes on no-surge bill today, which gets 56-34 in favor of rebuking Bush.

So enjoy your quotes.  They were made on forged info.  Info was forged under Bush apopointee who fit Bush agenda.  Anyone with a brain sees that now.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 07:15:47 AM »
not going to debate your spin on the intell, that will just end up with name calling.
so, can you explain the info below before bush took office??
(i re-posted for your convenience)

Quote:
October 9th, 1999 Letter to President Clinton Signed by Senators Levin, Lieberman, Lautenberg, Dodd, Kerrey, Feinstein, Mikulski, Daschle, Breaux, Johnson, Inouye, Landrieu, Ford and Kerry — all Democrats
“We urge you, after consulting with Congress and consistent with the US Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions, including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq’s refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs.”
“If Saddam rejects peace, and we have to use force, our purpose is clear: We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction program.”
“We must stop Saddam from ever again jeopardizing the stability and the security of his neighbors with weapons of mass destruction.”
“Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology, which is a threat to countries in the region, and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process.”
“He’ll use those weapons of mass destruction again as he has 10 times since 1983.”
“Hussein has chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies.”
“One of the most compelling threats we in this country face today is the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. Threat assessments regularly warn us of the possibility that North Korea, Iran, Iraq, or some other nation may acquire or develop nuclear weapons.”
Quote:
“Earlier today, I ordered America’s armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq…. Their mission is to attack Iraq’s nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors.”
“We have to defend our future from these predators of the 21st Century…. They will be all the more lethal if we allow them to build arsenals of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them. We simply cannot allow that to happen. There is no more clear example of this threat than Saddam Hussein.”
“The (Clinton) administration has said, ‘Look, we have exhausted virtually our diplomatic effort to get the Iraqis to comply with their own agreements and with international law. Given that, what other option is there but to force them to do so?’ That’s what they’re saying. This is the key question. And the answer is we don’t have another option. We have got to force them to comply, and we are doing so militarily.”
“The threat of nuclear proliferation is one of the big challenges that we have now, especially by states that have nuclear weapons, outlaw states like Iraq.”
“Saddam Hussein has already used these weapons and has made it clear that he has the intent to continue to try, by virtue of his duplicity and secrecy, to continue to do so. That is a threat to the stability of the Middle East. It is a threat with respect to the potential of terrorist activities on a global basis. It is a threat even to regions near but not exactly in the Middle East.”
“f you allow someone like Saddam Hussein to get nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, chemical weapons, biological weapons, how many people is he going to kill with such weapons? He has already demonstrated a willingness to use such weapons…”

W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 10:00:32 AM »
not going to debate your spin on the intell, that will just end up with name calling.

Quote:
Quote:
“f you allow someone like Saddam Hussein to get nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, chemical weapons, biological weapons, how many people is he going to kill with such weapons? He has already demonstrated a willingness to use such weapons…”

I'd post the picture if I knew how.   :)

**coqui frogs**

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
**coqui frogs**

You are one fruity guy.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 10:11:58 AM »

suprise, surprise no serious replies!!     ;D
W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 01:13:20 PM »
** coqui frogs **

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »
suprise, surprise no serious replies!!     ;D

there is something we should remember especially when it comes to politicians:

Nearly everything they say is motivated by politics.

So for dems to be in support of the war when America is in a fear based hysteria from 9/11 in my mind isn;t at all significant.  Not voting the invasion is probable political suicide.

If the Dems were in power and had decided to invade Iraq i would be just as passionate in my objection to it as i was for invading Afghanistan and i would be saying loud and clear:  "GORE F*** UP!"  Or who ever,  yikes it makes me sick thinking of Gore as a president of the USA....ouch!

My opposition against this war has nothing to do with party politics.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 03:45:35 PM »

So for dems to be in support of the war when America is in a fear based hysteria from 9/11 in my mind isn;t at all significant.  Not voting the invasion is probable political suicide.

If the Dems were in power and had decided to invade Iraq i would be just as passionate in my objection to it as i was for invading Afghanistan and i would be saying loud and clear:  "GORE F*** UP!"  Or who ever,  yikes it makes me sick thinking of Gore as a president of the USA....ouch!

How anyone can't see that both the dems and repubs are the same side of the coin is sad.
When will people take off their blinders?

Sandra

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 03:55:22 PM »

ONE of the points i wanted to make with this thread was how everyone (democrats) was screaming about saddam and his weapons and how he needed to be stopped. bush stopped him, now it's a mess over there and those same democrats have now reversed issue.  doesn't make sense.  stick to your guns.  why must they continue to flip-flop on issues??  like i stated before, quit b**ching about the president and fix the situation.
i heard a quote the other day from H. Clinton that she made a day after saddam was captured and she stated she was glad she voted for the war and it's good the US was over there.  (can't remember word for word)   ::)

W

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 04:49:15 PM »

ONE of the points i wanted to make with this thread was how everyone (democrats) was screaming about saddam and his weapons and how he needed to be stopped. bush stopped him, now it's a mess over there and those same democrats have now reversed issue.  doesn't make sense.  stick to your guns.  why must they continue to flip-flop on issues??  like i stated before, quit b**ching about the president and fix the situation.
i heard a quote the other day from H. Clinton that she made a day after saddam was captured and she stated she was glad she voted for the war and it's good the US was over there.  (can't remember word for word)   ::)

Well, I don't disagree that they (most dems) are completely spineless.... however, let's be honest... If the situation were reversed, with a Republican Congress, a Democratic President, and stuff still going to hell, just like it is... You wouldn't have Republicans turning their backs and saying the same statements?

These guys were doing what EVERYONE said was the right thing... 2 years ago. Fast forward that to today and most people say it was NOT the right thing to do.

Sure, a lot of republicans are all about staying the course... but let me ask you this... If I'm staying the course, and there's a bridge on the course I must cross, but this bridge is destroyed (for whatever reason), do I stay the course or look for another direction, including going backwards if I must?

Everyone was voting on information that we have now realized was incorrect... that's just the truth of the matter.

I for one NEVER said we should go to Iraq... I'm much more upset that we left Afghanistan (and in my opinion the job) unprotected and unfinished to go get a guy who was already contained, and was not an immediate threat to anyone...

My favorite Republican in the past 15 years (General Colin Powell) also said it was not the right thing to do, but I guess being the smartest most knowledgeable guy on foreign policy isn't enough.

That's what I'm so upset about... Why are we not listening to the smart people around here?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 05:47:37 PM »

True.  It is just absurd that people claim Bush fed bad intel to Democrats who then made public statements about Saddam being a threat, when Democrats were calling Saddam a threat BEFORE Bush took office. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »
True.  It is just absurd that people claim Bush fed bad intel to Democrats who then made public statements about Saddam being a threat, when Democrats were calling Saddam a threat BEFORE Bush took office. 

So the Bush intel was good, then? ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 05:51:40 PM »
So the Bush intel was good, then? ;)

Quote from: mightymouse72 on February 18, 2007, 07:15:47 AM

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 05:52:50 PM »
Was the Bush intel good, beach bum?

Should be a pretty easy task.  Why won't you defend your own President?

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 05:59:38 PM »
Why won't you defend your own President?

W

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 06:02:04 PM »
my spin?  No spin.  They didn't vote for war based upon the 1998 intel, 1998 beliefs, or 1998 statements.

They voted for war based upon the immediate threat of WMD as delivered to them in reports from Dubya.

No one wanted to vote to start a war with them in 98.  THe only thing that changed from 98 to 02 was additional info - FROM THE BUSH WHITE HOUSE.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 06:13:07 PM »

Quote from: mightymouse72 on February 18, 2007, 07:15:47 AM

I doubt you will get an answer.  Well, I doubt you get an answer that doesn't involve some sort of nefarious conspiracy.  I haven't heard a logical explanation for the unbroken chain of "intel" that showed Saddam was a threat from the early 1990s through the start of the current Iraq war.  I think it is inconceivable that so many Democrats (and Republicans) publicly stated Saddam was a threat, before Bush took office, if there wasn't fire somewhere.