Author Topic: Celebrity Couple Abstained From Sex Before Marriage  (Read 5826 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Celebrity Couple Abstained From Sex Before Marriage
« on: February 17, 2007, 06:12:02 PM »
An exception to the rule.  And people say it cannot be done.   :)

Hollywood couple Angela Bassett and Courtney B. Vance have been married for 10 years, but it took more than 20 years—and one really bad date—before they realized that they might be soul mates.

Courtney and Angela first crossed paths 24 years ago in graduate school at Yale University. She noticed the "alluring" Courtney, but he didn't remember Angela at all. Years later, Angela was in a play with Courtney's then-girlfriend. Again, there was no romance. Over the next decade, Courtney's career took him to Broadway and Angela moved to Los Angeles, where she eventually landed her Oscar®-nominated role in What's Love Got to Do with It.

After running into Courtney in 1994, Angela agreed to go on a date with him. "Dare I say, it wasn't memorable," Angela says. "He just seemed like a really, really nice guy, which translated [to] 'kind of boring.'"

But after a second date at the driving range, something clicked and they spent the rest of the week together. Angela says she felt like a teenager after their first kiss, complete with "pinpricks and chills." Angela then flew to Milan, where she replayed the kiss over and over in her mind. At the same time, Courtney flew to his mother's retirement party in Detroit with exciting news. "I had to go to tell my mom that I think I've found my wife," Courtney says.

Exactly one year after that life-changing first kiss, Courtney and Angela married. Because they knew the relationship was special, they decided to abstain from sex until marriage. After spending their wedding night together, Angela left the next day to film How Stella Got Her Groove Back.

The couple says their marriage is strong because they keep "God in the middle." Angela even had "GOD" inscribed on her wedding band between her and Courtney's initials. "I can only rely on his strength," Angela says. "I'll attempt to see [Courtney] even in those moments that aren't perfect, perhaps in a small way, the way God sees him."

. . .

http://angiebnews.blogspot.com/

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
Re: Celebrity Couple Abstained From Sex Before Marriage
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 07:26:48 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)

A few random thoughts:

If you want to abstain from sex before marriage, fine, that's your choice and your business. Why do you feel the need to publicize it and share it with the world?  The unspoken message in you doing so is you think everyone should be doing it.  I respectfully disagree.  You are entitled to your choices, others are entitled to theirs.

"God" is mentioned.  Whetever your belief is regarding a supreme being, do you really think if one exists it would be concerned with trivial matters such as when two humans on planet earth are screwing each other or not??  Seems to cheapen the whole idea of a "supreme being" in my view.  Somehow I just cant see the infinite greatly concerned with who's fuccking who, like some lady gossiping arounf te\h water cooler.  ::)
Ron: "I am lazy."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
::) ::) ::)

A few random thoughts:

If you want to abstain from sex before marriage, fine, that's your choice and your business. Why do you feel the need to publicize it and share it with the world?  The unspoken message in you doing so is you think everyone should be doing it.  I respectfully disagree.  You are entitled to your choices, others are entitled to theirs.

"God" is mentioned.  Whetever your belief is regarding a supreme being, do you really think if one exists it would be concerned with trivial matters such as when two humans on planet earth are screwing each other or not??  Seems to cheapen the whole idea of a "supreme being" in my view.  Somehow I just cant see the infinite greatly concerned with who's fuccking who, like some lady gossiping arounf te\h water cooler.  ::)

If you are a Christian and accept the Bible as truth, the answer is "yes."  The Bible talks about things like adultery and homosexual sex, which are all about two humans on planet earth screwing each other.  Anyone who does not believe this applies to their lives may find it offensive when people publicly talk about God and His impact on their lives.  Personally, I have no trouble at all with a couple talking about how God influences their marriage, including their sex life.  I think it's great that this particular couple has survived where so many celebrity marriages have failed.  And as a Christian I like the fact they give credit where credit is due:   

The couple says their marriage is strong because they keep "God in the middle." Angela even had "GOD" inscribed on her wedding band between her and Courtney's initials. "I can only rely on his strength," Angela says. "I'll attempt to see [Courtney] even in those moments that aren't perfect, perhaps in a small way, the way God sees him."

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 08:43:30 PM »
If you are a Christian and accept the Bible as truth, the answer is "yes."  The Bible talks about things like adultery and homosexual sex, which are all about people two humans on planet earth screwing each other.  Anyone who does not believe this applies to their lives may find it offensive when people publicly talk about God and His impact on their lives.  Personally, I have no trouble at all with a couple talking about how God influences their marriage, including their sex life.  I think it's great that this particularly couple has survived where so many celebrity marriages have failed.  And as a Christian I like the fact they give credit where credit is due:   

Can you step away from the bible a second and look at it objectively.....  does it make any sense that the infinite omnipotent force behind the entire universe would be concerned by something as base and trivial as human sexuality?

Or does it make more sense that a human-authored book contains basic human prejudices?

I don't expect an answer....  just something for you to consider.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 09:07:12 PM »

Can you step away from the bible a second and look at it objectively.....  does it make any sense that the infinite omnipotent force behind the entire universe would be concerned by something as base and trivial as human sexuality?

Or does it make more sense that a human-authored book contains basic human prejudices?

I don't expect an answer....  just something for you to consider.

To answer your rhetorical question  :), I say "of course."  Human sexuality makes the world go round.  It is what keeps humans from becoming extinct.  I don't see any reason why an omnipotent one wouldn't be concerned about the one thing that keeps humans alive from generation to generation. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 09:47:37 PM »
To answer your rhetorical question  :), I say "of course."  Human sexuality makes the world go round.  It is what keeps humans from becoming extinct.  I don't see any reason why an omnipotent one wouldn't be concerned about the one thing that keeps humans alive from generation to generation. 

Following this logic, wouldn't the creator want to encourage procreation, rather than restrict it?  And in the 21st century, where overpopulation is a serious issue, is this point of view still valid?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 10:18:31 AM »
Following this logic, wouldn't the creator want to encourage procreation, rather than restrict it?  And in the 21st century, where overpopulation is a serious issue, is this point of view still valid?

He does encourage it, but there are rules.  The entire universe, the planet, our environment, our communities, our bodies, etc. are all about rules and order.  God and the Bible are no different.  Sex was a gift to Adam and Eve and it is a gift to married couples today.  The only restrictions are you find a spouse, the two of you become "one flesh," you have as much sex as you want, and you make as many babies as you can afford (hopefully).  The only restriction is you limit your sex to your spouse.  That doesn't restrict procreation at all.

So, yes the point of view is still valid IMO. 

I think this point of view offends many people today, because our society has become an “anything goes” society in many respects.  People are offended by the notion of rules and order when it comes to sex. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 05:00:03 AM »
Great post, Beach Bum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »
Great post, Beach Bum!

Thanks loco.   :)

wampyri

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »
Why is just about everything god wants us to do in his rules is the opposite of what our instincts tell us to do why make us want to fuck around enjoy getting intoxicated food and violence then say we can't.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 07:30:05 PM »
Why is just about everything god wants us to do in his rules is the opposite of what our instincts tell us to do why make us want to fuck around enjoy getting intoxicated food and violence then say we can't.

Because moderation is the key. Man is the only organism that is not in balance with his environment. Due to our "highly advanced brains" we tend to over-indulge.  Instead of taking what we need, we take what we want, which f's it up for everybody else.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 05:26:41 AM »
Hi Beach, ...your secret is out... I know what show you watch in the afternoon.  ;)

{giggle} don't worry... your secret is safe with me... for now.
I'm saving this juicy tidbit for just the right moment to blackmail you with.  :P
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
Hi Beach, ...your secret is out... I know what show you watch in the afternoon.  ;)

{giggle} don't worry... your secret is safe with me... for now.
I'm saving this juicy tidbit for just the right moment to blackmail you with.  :P

??? Ooookkkaaaayyy?  I guess you know something I don't?  I don't watch T.V. in the afternoon (yet).  My office digital cable hasn't been hooked up yet.  But it's coming soon. . . . .

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »
??? Ooookkkaaaayyy?  I guess you know something I don't?  I don't watch T.V. in the afternoon (yet).  My office digital cable hasn't been hooked up yet.  But it's coming soon. . . . .

Oh ok, ...if you say so. {nudge} {wink} gotcha  ;)   :P
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 06:12:18 PM »
Oh ok, ...if you say so. {nudge} {wink} gotcha  ;)   :P

???

Blue Heat

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 05:29:12 AM »
Good choice for this couple, to honour the Lord. All ye scoffers and mockers take heed, lest ye be consumed.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 03:31:11 PM »

She just wasn't sleeping with him.

If you guys think for a moment that Stella gave up sex...

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 06:33:59 PM »
no sex? i call major BS.  Or at least if she didnt give up the cookie she probably gave up the ass.  Kinda like those chicks that say that they are virgins cuz anall doesn't count.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 08:09:30 AM »
Man, I missed this one!  Great article, Beach.  I think you are dead on in your arguments, bro.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 11:58:32 PM »
Man, I missed this one!  Great article, Beach.  I think you are dead on in your arguments, bro.   :)

Thanks Colossus.   :)  You gotta hang around more often mang (work permitting). 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 11:15:23 AM »
The Bible is pretty clear that sex before marriage is wrong wrong wrong... but conservatives seem to have given up this fight.  In fact, they have largely joined in the fun.

Hypocrisy?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 02:25:25 PM »
The Bible is pretty clear that sex before marriage is wrong wrong wrong...

If you don't read that garbage, then you can't be held liable. 

;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 03:59:36 PM »
The Bible is pretty clear that sex before marriage is wrong wrong wrong... but conservatives seem to have given up this fight.  In fact, they have largely joined in the fun.

Hypocrisy?

[Gasp]  Hypocritical conservatives.  Who knew?   ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »
If you don't read that garbage, then you can't be held liable. 

;D

You're partly correct.  We're held accountable for what we know to be wrong, but do anyway.  Too late for you though.   :D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2007, 04:08:27 PM »
no sex? i call major BS.  Or at least if she didnt give up the cookie she probably gave up the ass.  Kinda like those chicks that say that they are virgins cuz anall doesn't count.

Plenty of oral too I'd wager.